Home Technical Talk

Approach to modelling roundy building facades (Modular?)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
JostVice polycounter lvl 12
Hello! I'm working on a building, and I'm looking for the best way to model the facade. Here is a lowpoly sketch of more or less how the shape of the building is going to be:

4b42f731e8a85057a1a53341db779.jpg

My problem is how to approach the modeling of the facade? If it were plain flat and boxy modular would be perfect to keep a constant distance/size, and for the texture later on, but with the roundy shape, I'm not so sure how to do it. Any ideas or any tutorial? :)

Replies

• nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Unless you're modeling a high poly version, I don't think you would really even need to have the roof connected to anything else in the final product, as it's a stationary model.
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably break the building into at least 3 meshes (one for the entry way tower, one for that middle section, and one for that tower on the left) and then snap them together all grid-like.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    nordahl154 wrote: »
    Unless you're modeling a high poly version, I don't think you would really even need to have the roof connected to anything else in the final product, as it's a stationary model.

Yeah, there is no need :) this was just the blocked mesh
    I would probably break the building into at least 3 meshes (one for the entry way tower, one for that middle section, and one for that tower on the left) and then snap them together all grid-like.

I've though about that, but how would you go for making the windows in them? if i make a 2x2 window (modular) how could I adjust it to this curvy-ish mesh keeping the grid awesomeness? :poly124:
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a time for modular, and a time for... non-modular. This might be a case for the latter.