Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Art Dump] - Alberto Rdgrz - Warning: Image heavy.

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys!

Added some sunlight and ceiling arches:

Sun02.PNG

Sun01.PNG

Sun03.PNG

Done for the night... im super sleepy! :)

EDIT: Place holder floors and ceilings.

Jungsik:
    Using DX9 at the moment.
  • andybozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    really nice work. looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    the models are excellent, but the level design is very lack luster. I would consider scrapping the entire level and redesigning something a little more scenic.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i'll def wait till i have everything in the engine and play more with the design. But I'm hoping the other pieces will bring it together nicely.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!! about 80% thru i wanna say still need to add the prop-aganda.. lol but been slaving over the lighting and atmosphere. hope you guys some crits cause i needs Them!!

Capture02.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture03.PNG
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Wooo! Loving this man deff has a 1984 Big Brother feel to it. I would also try doing night time lighting as well as they day time. Maybe some tree branches to break up the sky a little and give some nice creepy shadows. Either way GREAT WORK!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man, good looking scene so far. Here's a couple of things that stick out to me from the newest images:

The windows don't really look like glass. They look more like plexiglass or something. I'd give them some reflections; the nice arched windows would look good with some fresnel reflection. Maybe also change the way you're showing the separation the panes. Right now it looks really obvious that it's a textured plane and I'm not sold on it being real windows. It seems like if they were real pane borders they would have shape to be seen on either side of the glass, not just running along it.

Keep at it :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks For the kind words guys!

@Poff: Yeah, I think me and you are on the same page LOL i was thinking about vines over the glass. The night shot will definitely be in there, thanks so much dude!

Frump: I know what you mean! :poly136: I just got on doing just that and upping the specs also. Thanks!
  • dinfet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am enjoying your work, keep it up as you a form of inspiration to me
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    nice work man. love the assets! the qulaity is top notch. right now the lighting is looking kinda weird, there is bright areas all over the place and with all the detail in the enviro its hard to focus your eye. its hard to tell what time of day it is right now.

here is a quick paintover with some ideas maybe to help refine the composition. basically just 1 or 2 brightest areas where the eye snaps to right away upon looking at the image will help it feel more natural i think. its a bit blown out in areas but hopefully it explains what I mean.
    Alberto_paintover_01.JPG
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, Dood thank you so much for that, that looks amazing! im gonna go try this in unreal!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Wow! Do those lighting updates and this is gonna be amazing.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    oh man that paintover is awesome! do it!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Love it! need some heavier trims around the windows.

looking ace keep it up.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Seriously PixelMasher, you've been on a roll with these paintovers :P
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, how bout this?

Capture.PNG
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah! I think the lighting looks much better this way!
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    Seriously PixelMasher, you've been on a roll with these paintovers :P [2]
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    wow this is really cool, the assets are lovely. My problem with the scene is a lack of warmth. The way everything is tiled makes it look like a subway, but from what you've said and from the way it looks, it feels like it's supposed to be a givernment building lobby or something.

I think you should go with warmer lighting, and instead of the tiled wall, have some cool wallpaper, and maybe have the floor carpet, and use the red colour from the chair in the carpet and wallpaper
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace wrote: »
    wow this is really cool, the assets are lovely. My problem with the scene is a lack of warmth. The way everything is tiled makes it look like a subway, but from what you've said and from the way it looks, it feels like it's supposed to be a givernment building lobby or something.

I think you should go with warmer lighting, and instead of the tiled wall, have some cool wallpaper, and maybe have the floor carpet, and use the red colour from the chair in the carpet and wallpaper

this is pretty much what im gonna end up doing with the banners and the rest of the props and propaganda. I'll take a look at adding warmer lighting. :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    Looks awesome all around ^^
    Did like the warmer lighting in the original wip pics but like how the lighting and everything else is working in the latest pics. Somthing inbetween could be cool, looks awesome regardless :)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely work on these. Really nice detailing and colors.
    Strange arrangement though architecturally, isn't it? Huge columns in the center yet they're not load bearing? The velvet rope prop placement seem a little nonsensical as well--as a player (as in life), I would feel unnecessarily stymied by not being able to get close to/in and around those nice columns.

Maybe keep the colonnade in the center though I would increase the distance between the columns at least by a factor of two--and then place columns supporting the edge of where the skylight begins. Then, the seated areas can get pushed back/further recessed, a cozier feeling, maybe even some art deco style asian room dividers breaking up the seating areas?

It feels a little like you're afraid to give the room some space so you're piling in the assets like the rope, but they're not protecting anything--they really ought to be ringing a nice statue, or that excellent globe model of yours.

I would suggest some study of Frank Lloyd Wright, particularly the famous Hollyhock House.

images always better than words:
    Efgmr.jpg

the columns are so massive they need more of this kind of space between them
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Next time, make/use placeholder models.

also, i agree wth gauss. The columns need more space to look more... tough.
  • pedroluchini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with gauss, re: velvet rope. If I saw that IRL I'd be left scratching my head.

It's a bit surprising to see a skylight in such a room, all things considered. When I think "government building lobby", I think about the ground floor of a very tall skyscraper -- so a glass ceiling doesn't make much sense. :o
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, thanks a lot guys! you guys are insanely helpful.

@Gauss: Thanks a lot for this im definitely gonna have to go back and consider a new layout, I've been working thru my bad habits in this project and not blocking the scene out was my mayor problem. But that said im getting a better feel for what u proposed, i think im gonna go with something more open.

@roosterMAP: Yeah, dood thats one of my bad habits! it sucks but i'll work thru these kinks and push on thru to the next project.

@pedroluchini: I'm sorry dood I will have to disagree there's a lot of government state houses with skylights, IN FACT... there's one here in mass [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjoEB6qLrM[/ame] . And i wanted it very sort of lavish for the whole big brother thing.

Thanks so much guys really appreciate this!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, been messing around with propaganda and trying to get a bioshock-y feeling.

Prop.PNG
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

Happy with the new layout thanks to Gauss for the paint-over!!

now im gonna take my time in placing all the new items and propaganda.

also thanks to all of you who have commented and shared your support! you guys rock!

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    you get a gold star for the day mr rodriguez... good job broham, can't wait to see more of this one...
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bout to start texturing these, a poster border, vent / fan, and a arch-window.

Untitled-1.png

Also, update on the propaganda. going with some norman rockwell for the images.

Propaganda-01.png
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Hey I just wanna say you've got a beautiful piece here but architecturally it doesn't make any sense. You've got a series of MASSIVE pillars that are holding up a paper thin roof that suddenly connects to a skylight without much base support.

I'd suggest trying something more like this (forgive the quality) paintover2.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworking the front entrance. rearranged some pieces and made a new door.

Ministry%252520door.PNG
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii wrote: »
    Hey I just wanna say you've got a beautiful piece here but architecturally it doesn't make any sense. You've got a series of MASSIVE pillars that are holding up a paper thin roof that suddenly connects to a skylight without much base support.

I'd suggest trying something more like this (forgive the quality) paintover2.jpg

yeah, that really works! I have to start paying more attention!
    i could actually play more with the banners im making.

thanks man!
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work mr. Rodriguez.

My only gripe is at the moment your lighting lacks contrast, you don't have any areas for the eye to focus on, since all your textures are very close in the diffuse department, I think you should use contrasty lights to point the eye to where you want it to go, because at the moment my eye just runs around the picture trying to find something to settle on.

Other then that, fantastic work!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Stunning work, meticulously Art Deco. I love it.

Some of your lowpoly work seems a bit high on the old vert counts but the high poly work is impeccable. Theres a true authenticity to all the pieces. I think theres still a lot of work left to do in the level itself to simply do justice to the quality of the highpoly and design work but its looking like its coming together really well.

Making the textures more milky is the way to go with lightmass, that might let those normals pop more. It's a fiddly thing though, we're all relearning the art of texturing in the office atm.

Anyway, best stuff I've seen for a good while, can't wait to see more.I'm basically a big sucker for research so I respect when others put the work into that area, the work always shines more because of that effort.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    looking amazing man, those propaganda posters will break up the tiling heaps i think too.

on another note what are your computer specs? my pc would shit itself if i tried to work on models that HP in Max. Might be time for an upgrade
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    This might a small and ultimately negligible nitpick but one thing that's sticking out to me is the propaganda posters. Primarily that they don't feel very totalitarian or oppressive. While BioShock is great for Deco influences, it really doesnt reek of an Orwellian nightmare. I think you'd be far better served by referencing real world propaganda posters like...

work60169641flat550x550.jpg

Classic Soviet examples...
    000071364cccprussianpro.jpg

2520458610a1453990e5.jpg

This is actually a book cover but hot damn it'd make a great poster on my wall...
    bookcovers.gif

Granted I dont know how far you wanted to delve into the backstory here and ultimately it's probably more work then it's worth. Just food for thought. Otherwise carry on, cause this is looking so good it makes me a little depressed inside.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stunning work, meticulously Art Deco. I love it.

Some of your lowpoly work seems a bit high on the old vert counts but the high poly work is impeccable. Theres a true authenticity to all the pieces. I think theres still a lot of work left to do in the level itself to simply do justice to the quality of the highpoly and design work but its looking like its coming together really well.

Making the textures more milky is the way to go with lightmass, that might let those normals pop more. It's a fiddly thing though, we're all relearning the art of texturing in the office atm.

Anyway, best stuff I've seen for a good while, can't wait to see more.I'm basically a big sucker for research so I respect when others put the work into that area, the work always shines more because of that effort.

wow, Best Sunday ever. im working on some last things especially some statues and really looking at the architectural aspects. But kevin Thank you so much you commenting here means the world lol. eating some humble pie atm!!

on the textures side it is a finicky thing man, trying to get the right "uncontrast" in Photoshop but i'll keep pushing it back a bit more. Thanks for all the kind words guys i was getting a bit fatigued of the level but always coming back to polycount it refills the tank! :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of the statue. Trying to get a certain art deco-ness ... just exhausted at the moment. so thought i'd show some update. :)

Statue.PNG
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's SUNDAY! time for an update:

Altho, not much of one this time. :/
    Decided to get away from the scene and give myself sometime so i could come back with a fresh look and things that werent working could pop out more. But, during that time i started making a statue to add more power to the level. I'm planning on shaking up the level in the coming week and hopefully close it out! thanks for everyone and the support and awesome crits!

this is the base mesh, on first of 3 poses!

Statue.PNG

STatue2.PNG

Statue4.PNG

Statue3.PNG
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    you are an inspiration sir! keep up the amazing work!!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks toxic_h2o!!!:)

Here's what i got so far. still working on the base, just free-styling it at the moment from various references.

this is one of the 3 dif statues im putting in the scene. still WIP:

Reaching%252520Statue03.PNG

Reaching%252520Statue02.PNG

Reaching%252520Statue.PNG

04.PNG

I'll post more later!
  • Coridium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 15
    Really enjoyed looking through this thread! Art deco has such beautiful lines in its design and you are doing a good job of capturing that feel!

Some people have already posted some propaganda links but I thought that i would add another. Don't think this is the right style for what you are going for but the guys/gals at raven did a similar thing in singularity, but more of an Eastern European style so might not fit what you are going for but you might find the blog entry interesting.
    http://www.ravensoft.com/blog/2010/07/06/the-in-world-graphics-of-katorga-12/

As for some art deco references, I imagine that you have already looked at this but just to be sure (empire state building)...

http://www2.prnewswire.com/mnr/empirestatebuilding/40200/images/40200-hi-lobby_after.jpg

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1909/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1909-3878.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/1820935.jpg

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lafqusgtiA1qe7vo3o5_500.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theurbansnapper/2472150110/

Look forward to seeing more!
  • SkyGround
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyGround polycounter lvl 11
    F*ck... I think... you must sit down for couple years and do ALL environment for Bioshock 3 )
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    TV screens are uber small and easy to miss. Biggiey them up by 3 so that you can actualy see them. It helps the narrative as well me thinks.

Also, it needs more Andrew Ryan in my opinion.

Great work :>
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium: thanks so much for those, some i have but a couple are new to me!:)

Skyground: LOL nah man, i'm up to my neck with DECO it's stagnating me. Next project is def gonna be some Futuristic project, i need a pallet change.

Whats_true: Dude thanks a lot for the input and kind words, it's no denying that irrtional games makes me blush:poly136: The work you guys do is super inspiring!

so this is the statue almost done with the HP adding some detail under the leg to carry the weight of the model (at least visually)

01.PNG

02.PNG

03.PNG
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Just some thoughts on your statue. As I have said before your work is stunning so take the paint over lightly.

I was playing around with making look less like its going to fall over. I thought the chain could be used as a line to help draw your eye to the face and also help with supporting the figure. I twisted the top part of the figure up more to compensate for the weight/tightness of the chain.

Also was there any reason why the figure is lacking feet? I added some in the paint over. I think people expect feet when they reach the bottom of the sculpture but there isn't any. Its an odd transition at least for me.

Lastly I made the base and decorative support larger too. I think the larger base helps to make the figure feel more epic and larger. However I'm not sure if the larger base would work with your scene. Anywho just some thoughts. I really do love this environment as I have said before. Keep up the fantastic work friend!

01.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah dood! this is killer! thanks for the paintover.
    I just finished all the details and decorations so scaling and tweaking is gonna be pretty easy. really like what you did with the chain as well
    and the feet thing was just lazyness lol but imma get on that a little bit later :)
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Really loving all the consistently awesome high-poly work you've been pumping through on this project and I'm a sucker for art deco.

Keep up with the great work, the end result WILL be worth it :)
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    That is some of the best hi-poly modeling I've seen in a while. Can't wait to see the environment finished!