Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Art Dump] - Alberto Rdgrz - Warning: Image heavy.

Replies

• tkkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like what your doing with this beautiful scene. It really has a Bioshock type feel to it.

I agree with Myles on the light situation for the scene. Since alot of the textures have a red, copper/bronze, orange color to them. You might want to (if you can), get another color that helps out more with making your textures stand out from the lights themselves.

It may even be a thing of contrast between light and shadow. Or you could even change the color of your shadows to a blue or green maybe.

All and all, the modeling and textures are on point. Great work man!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    @Myles Thanks dood! that's a good point, i'm gonna mess around with the whole lighting it does seem saturated.

@tkkstar Thanks! Yeah that's a good idea i'll do this when i mess around with the lighting. :)
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Great looking scene dood. Something is bothering me though and that is the supports that's between the pillars.
    They look like they are about to crack by the weight of those bends holding the glass together. You might want to add additional support
    to them or make those bends smaller in between.

Also when I look at your scene I always picture a large antique clock on the wall :P
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mkandersson: Yeah, i've placed a wall support under it. I'll show it in the next update. I hope that makes it look less flimsy... :/

Didn't wanna bump without an update so..
    Here's a quick texture first pass.

Firstpass.PNG

The Base will have water as well.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Damn dude- Hero-piece`s for the win!

Only crit, is I feel like the lighting could be more interesting. Play with some variations. The whole scene is SOooo salmon colored.

Playing with the relationships of warm and cool is usually where I start. You already have 2 light sources that could cast cool tones into your scene (skylight, monitors). Also try to think in terms of hierarchy. Whats the most important thing in the scene? whats the focal point? how can you further accentuate that with the lighting? Decreasing intensity values- increasing intensity values.

you have so much beautiful normal/texture information, Its a shame to see it not be as dynamic as it could be!
  • Jbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Wow! this thread, your work, is EPIC! I must say I really admire your patience, skill and hard work.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the spec maps. :) Xoliul shader.

Rockwell.PNG

EDIT:

made some changes to the lighting.

01.PNG

02.PNG

03.PNG
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Update of the Night.... super sleepy.

Cooled off the scene, tried to pay close attention to the crits!

please more crits! more! you guys kill it man!

thanks so much!

01.PNG

02.PNG

03.PNG

04.PNG

05.PNG

06.PNG

07.PNG
    Place holders :)
  • tkkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting is looking alot better Alberto. It has a lot more depth. I really like the green light around the statues. You could maybe take it a step further and make green floor lamps that point upward on the statue to make the statue more dramatic. As if you were putting a flash light under your chin in a dark room. By doing that it will do a great service to your statues.
    881787477_fe2d3bf318.jpg
    statue.JPG
    Your definitely on the right path though. Nice update by the way.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tkkstar awesome dude! yeah i get what you're saying. You and konstruct were definitely right about the lighting. Thanks.
  • JasonChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonChoi polycounter lvl 12
    Fucking show updates. wth.

make it more glossy

you too
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just recently finished this small project and thought i should continue it as something else. So.. this may be the beginning of a new project maybe post apocolyptic market or something. we'll see how this goes. lol

Crits would be GREATLY apreciated!!

Architecture is Heavy on the nouveau.

RB4Qb.jpg

eaZKn.jpg

qHL8v.jpg

K1vx2.jpg

ielzR.jpg

knhDr.jpg

PCagk.jpg

Fp1DM.jpg

uYUd3.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    looking really cool so far. it would be neat to see a bit more variation in the texture. dirt. cracks. etc. especially in the red bricks, which at the moment look a tad bit too specular, as well as kind of boring. i really like the green trimming that youve got around the building, but i feel that from far away its kind of hard to see. maybe render out a "cavity map" to highlight the edges of the details, or if youve already got one just bring it out a bit more so the edge highlights are more apparent.

the red door or whatever it is has a cool design, but it seems like the normal map lacks depth. maybe render out a heightmap and use a bumpoffset for it? and if there is supposed to be rusted areas for it, it seems as if the material has the same spec/gloss all the way through it. you'd want to make that transition a bit more drastic in your texture.

also if you take a look at the first shot youve provided, just above the rightmost archway (where it and the one to the left meet) there is a pretty apparent seam caused either by your texture or your model (if its a modular piece) being slightly offset. but in regards to those bricks while im at that.. maybe a bit more of a bevel in the normals could help them pop more. as of now they look kind of flat.

aside from all that, as a whole its looking really cool. looking forward to more.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yes, thanks a lot oniram.
    Yeah i'm gonna get on those height maps, I thinking i can break it up with some of those textures with some mesh painting, which i havent tried yet. i'll post updates as soon as i can.
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Dude Alberto this is looking sweeeet~! I'm loving to art direction of this and I agree with Oniram on the things he said.

Couple of things, the normal map on the white brick looks a bit noisy/pixelated, i also might tone down the ao in the cracks it looks a bit dark almost outlines the bricks in a way(could just be my monitor). Also again with what Oniram said maybe add some variation in the bricks themselves make some darker and lighter. I would also be curious to see the white bricks tiled more, they look fine in the wall but looks a bit odd to me in the pillars.

again I agree with Oniram that the textures overall have a certain flatness to them.

The bronze work is gorgeous. :D

It might be kewl to put some bars and broken glass in front of the plywood, like you did on the door, just add some extra visual interest.

concrete_wall_garden.jpg

Also i Didnt notice the giant ass hole in the building, and I am sad that there isn't a better view of it. Its like the coolest part and you hide it from me. :'(

Update soon, your work inspires meh. Also what happened to your other environment?.
  • kali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...as always, I love your work on details Alberto! all this ornamental art handled so well...this could became your signature ;)

texture work on your building is cool, but it's a little bit too clean for a post-apocalyptic feel. Your building seems to be so new for me, like it was built yesterday. but, as you say, you will see how it goes with your own vision.

by the way, your "bioshock" scene looks beautiful, very inspirational and "irrational";) , do not give it up :P!

congratz for your work!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEy guys thanks so much! I finished the Bioshock scene lol just havent put the other pieces, in the engine I'll def do that this weekend.

Toxic: LOL nothing it's still alive~! thanks a lot for your crits dood as always!

Kali: i def agree, im still wondering what i can do and what i can go with before i commit to the post apoco. I really really wanted to do the bat cave for my next project lol so im debating on how long im gonna spend on this.
    also most of these textures are 512x512, so i think the amount of detail got really lost because of that? i'll try again but i was banging my head trying to get a better look... :(
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you the guy that is working on the CE3 STALKER mod?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Mr Alberto. If you do not do breakdowns on those trim pieces, showing a highpoly and how the highpoly in question was created. There will be consequences.

Looks awesome!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah, I WILL just remaking most of the textures and whatnot, im thinking of adding Ivy, sidewalk, street. a complete building if you will, with more destruction.
  • johnnybrach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing short of amazing
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started work on the building.... lost a lot of the textures... :( will have to paint em again. anyway, redid some, and made a side walk and some other stuff. more updates soon.

Crits!
    [Missing Manhole Cover]
    03.JPG
    02.JPG
    01.JPG

Jpeg compression sucks... sorry.
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Damn son you may proceed. if anything the square bricks in the sidewalk look like they are floating on top of the bricks. I'm not sure what you could do about that though unless you sculpted it all as on piece. The textures might help. Its Not really a big deal though. Another thing they look pretty clean compared to the bricks, maybe rough them a bit up as well?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, im going to be doing a lot of mesh painting in UDK, this prob why it looks kinda bland. :/ i'm gonna add some ivy and foliage meshes as well, a lot to do still.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    This thread just gets better and better. Remind me again, why the f*!k are you still advertizing that you are looking for work? Your environment pieces are some of the most imaginative and technically robust pieces on the board. Is it a lack of experience deal, the old catch22 ?

I'm seriously confused. You'd fit in well round here I think.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ kevin, yeah recently i actually got rejected cause i didn't have exp. it burns especially after 2 art tests from the same company. but i keeps it trucking :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    @ kevin, yeah recently i actually got rejected cause i didn't have exp. it burns especially after 2 art tests from the same company. but i keeps it trucking :)

Don't worry man. You'll break through soon enough. Your work speaks for itself and eventually someone will realize that.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot jesse.

bout to take this into Zbrush and beat it up a bit.
    01.JPG
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bake test, UVs using half the 1024 sheet, will redo it and shrink it to 512 res.
    hydrant.jpg
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    alberto everytime i look at this thread everything is just jaw dropping man... congrats, keep up the good work :D
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    really impressive work man, love the detail in your models, wish I had such skills xD haha keep up the good work!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I started on page one again. Holy shit is this thread inspiring! I love how you model!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks josh, might as well post my new project i've been working on(still blocking out)

I'm going for All organic, none repeating forms, Zbrushed mostly, fungi forest type of thing... ? here's the mood board.

Untitled-1.jpg

First Rough Block out. //flow model.
    Untitled-1.jpg

Fungi House.
    Fungus_Blockout.JPG
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa! This project looks awesome. Gonna be fun to watch :)
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to say your stuff gets better and better! Also agree with Jessica, this is going to be fun to watch!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    That's a good blockout (2nd one)
  • veteehrri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    veteehrri polycounter lvl 17
    really inspiring work man, awesome stuff.
    with this work quality, soon you'll be working somewhere.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update on the Mushroom's Husk, starting work on the roots and branches.

Update01.JPG

Update02.JPG

[Sorry for the Jpg quality]
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    wow, really nice work! this thread is full of inspiration, keep it up!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Really cool! I can't wait to see where this goes!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    really nice organic forms dude, the trunk seems to have a really beliveable weight to it, especially at the back. i would make some variation in thickness to the roots where they go downwards to the ground to make it a bit more natural, but really nice progress so far.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's a good idea, PixelMasher! i'll give that a try next. small update.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got a little more time to work on this, next step is Zbrush after i close everything up.

I'm going to stick a chimney in that cut off branch.

Tree.jpg
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man this is looking really good. I was curious, to acheive the look of the tentacles wrapping the tree, did you just go from having the cylinders connect together as one mesh by connecting edges? I noticed you went from having single object cylinders to having them all vibe together. Very cool the way it came out i was just wondering how you combined them?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I stripped modeled most of the mesh over the 'flow' mesh i made with the Lines (i had them rendering in viewport, like 12 sided cylinders). So, i used that to try and create an unruly swirl up the trunk. Kind of a headache but after trying everything else (zspheres, box modeling) this worked the best control wise.
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scampbell polycounter lvl 7
    this stuff is amazing man love that you actually went in and strip modeled it it shows and just makes it look CLEAN. really inspiring stuff here man. thanks for posting all this.
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooo I like that mushroom house, kinda wished it was a little wider in the cap. That is one weird lookin' penis though.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Drywall wrote: »
    ooo I like that mushroom house, kinda wished it was a little wider in the cap. That is one weird lookin' penis though.

+1
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, i'll see what i can do about that.