Home Technical Talk

'Combustion' environmental effect in 3DS Max?

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
I found a nice tutorial online, thought I'd try it, but it requires a 'combustion' environmental effect, and I can only find fire effect, fog, volume fog and volume light in the rollout. I tried Max 8 and 2011, neither seem to have it. :( What gives?

Replies

• Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Never heard of this. I think theres a plugin called that or maybe it's referring to the old compositing package called Combustion?

Maybe you could explain a little what the effect is supposed to do?
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know what you mean, I have never come across this environmental effect.

I am basically trying this tutorial: http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/explore2/

You'll be able to see what I'm looking for from the pics hopefully.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    pretty sure that fire effect = combustion effect. paramaters seem to be the same. results look the same too.

TBH though mate why are you messing with 10 year old shite like this. the result is shockingly bad.

If your just making an element why not take a look at blenders smoke/fire system.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeF2e-IrKSA&feature=related[/ame]

or if your feeling wealthy theres afterburn and fume.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Came across it, seemed like something that would work well for an in-game billboard single plane particle animation, planned to change up the colours to make it look like an electric spark. Was supposed to be a half hour distraction initially :)

I also thought that the settings for 'fire' looked very similar, but I have a feeling that the effect created there drifts up instead of out, like a real flame. I think I've used it before...

Yeah, I've played a good bit with Blenders fluid stuff, tis awesome, and watched a lot of documentation for fume, also great, this just seemed like a nice little touch I could add to an almost dead mechanical enemy in-game :)