Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The 2D guy learning 3D

Replies

• Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    Bombshell: Awesome, thanks for spotting those errors. It's amazing what happens when you come back to it the next day. Those errors you mentioned were clearly visible this time around than last time. Remember kids to rest those eyes. I made the changes you suggested.

Gilesruscoe: Definitely a lot of deformation around the mouth. I need to work on address the edge flow more properly.

bbob: Just what I was looking for. Thank you! This should provide answers to questions I had. Hopefully my next model will not have as much excess geometry.

Current changes to the model + screens of sub'd mesh.

facesmooth.jpg

facewire.jpg

Thank you for provided comments it is really appreciated.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking better but still lacks proper edge flow for a head. This head is looking very dense right now which isn't helping you out which makes it harder to make changes with so many edges. Keep it low until you get good edge flow.

I'd take another look at what bbob posted and just google 'head edge loops' or something along those lines to get some good edge loop reference. The best way to do this is to follow real life facial muscles for the head. The eye muscles and the mouth muscles are basically just circles.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, try rounding off those loops extending from the mouth, for example, upper lip edge to lower lip edge instead of extending them past the ear..
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Fewer edges = easier to control and connect with the rest of the eventual body.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/mouth_tutorial/mouth.asp
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto: Cheers! Definitely took to heart what Bbob has to stay. I started another head using the edgeflow guide bbob posted

Bbob: I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Psyk0: Indeed it is easier to control. That mouth chart really helped a lot with the new head I'm modelling.

Taking a break from 3d. Just a bunch of doodles here. Playing around with a cartoon style.
    Charactersession.png
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, you are gonna be nasty competition in no time ;)
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob: haha, but I like hiding in the shadows.

Another doodle page for today. Got that out of my system now. I found an ideal brush setting on the first doodle I did... then I changed the brush size and couldn't remember what the size was.. ugh I liked those fluid lines.

doodle2.png
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the other face I started on. Things that I know are problematic and that I find difficult at this time is the edge flow from the cheek to the nose, and the cheek to the mouth. Need more practice! That and I still.. still have such small planes. I'll start forcing myself to use big planes.

Edit: Just noticed her eyes are a little high up.

face_2.jpg

EDIT: Moved the eyes down.

faceeyeup.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    You should do some modeling studies of the eyes, mouth and nose. Then practice stitching them all together. Having edgeloops is one thing, but understanding the anatomy of the head is also a big factor.

These might be helpful too...
    http://www.veoh.com/watch/v4199970Rcyp2cfj
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0: Cheers, Head anatomy check, edgeflow not so much. Though seeing peoples workflow help as I'm still at a lose on "good edge flow" I do follow the contours of the face and where muscles should go, but in the midst of it all I get loss. Thanks for the videos I'll definitely check them out!

Just for fun. I always love putting fully enclosed knight helmets onto things. I remember way back creating this chivalrous world where WWI had just broken out and all the soldiers had medieval helmets.

jfu.jpg

EDIT:

Update:

jff2.jpg

EDIT x2:

Update #2

updatejff2.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Nice model so far, considering that blocky look your aiming for, i'd remove the two edge loops which start from the top of his leg and join under his arm (in side view), as they dont really add to the silhouette.
    Good luck with the unwrap!
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe: Thank you! :) The unwrap went went well. I started texturing it. The texture map is set to 512x512.

Did a quick AO/full render with lights bake to get down the initial colours.

knightjjf.jpg

EDIT:

Update:

textureupdate.jpg
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A sketch for tonight. Perhaps a concept for a future model?

World War Knight!

worldwarknight2.png
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture Update:

I'm still a little lost on how I should approach his cuirass

WWKupdate.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    just something I've noticed, tone down and smooth out the shading on the neck, it looks like he had a pretty bad accident with a cut-throat razor.
    Rest is looking great though! keep it up!
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell: Will do!

Back from a trip which means more 3d! I'm starting to reach that pleateau so I'm trying many different things and approaches out to counter that. I've been reading up on rigging fk/ik as well as simple face rigs (assigning drivers). Makkon was awesome and gave me on of his models to rig (still rigging it, no pics yet)

Here is an onslaught of failures/practice. I know topology is still a main issue and I've been fighting to try and get a better grasp on it.

I was digging up through old files and found a concept sketch done by my good friend on a mod I once lead. Just for nostalgia sake (and that it never got into model form) I gave it a shot.

(one of the right, the one of the left was a repaint of what I actually had in mind for the light class, and he really liked the forms on that one)
    drysdale_earthLight.jpg

And my shoddy attempt.
    conceptsketch.jpg

And a ton of faces, tried out more poly modelling and a little bit of box-modelling as well as retopo'ing. I need to practice more.

female%201.jpg

Normals messed up around the mouth/nose/eyes
    retopo.jpg

retopowire.jpg

And I'm nearly done with the World War Knight guy. I just need to texture his gloves and I'll post some screens after that.

Cheers for looking!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I think modelling that armour suit just straight would be hard for anyone.

A better way would be to model anatomically correct human and then build the suit and its pieces around him.