Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The 2D guy learning 3D

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
EDIT: I've made some new strides. Check out page 3 for recent stuff!

Currently working on face topology + little fun diversion of World War Knight

Currently working on:

textureupdate.jpg

----OLD

Come, come join me as I struggle immensely as I try and learn how to model :D

As a 2D artist it's always fascinated me how take shape and form from paper into the digital 3d realm. I've worked on several mods (died out of course) and just seeing the process has always blown my mind;however, it saddens me too that I can't take my own creation from paper and help deliver it to the final stage (not to mention make adjustments here and there that I wished I made on the concept art).

I'm also interested in expanding my knowledge in drawing and I figured training my brain to understand 3d form will surely help* (probably the main reason why I want to learn 3d, clay gets really messy, though I will dabble with that at uni)

So peruse my struggle and if you're a kind soul do throw your two cents as I have no idea what I am doing.

I chose softimage XSI to work with, and downloaded the student version.

-The Dreadful First-

Right, first model, the box man. A similar practice in traditional art that I picked up on looking at work done by Luca Cambiaoso. A good practice in drawing as it helps with perspective and a good basic shape that can be expanded upon on the human body such as the thorax, the forearm (most notably where the radius juts out) and so on and what not and here is an example of Cambioso.

luca_cambiaso_000.jpg

And here is my awful first that I was relatively happy with (considering it took me hours to figure out how to extrude)

21655367.jpg

And then I thought it would be neat to smooth it out, and this abomination came forward.

65731514.jpg

What went wrong? I'm guessing when I mirrored it and just welding points to target (it seemed logical to me)

Lesson learnt:

-Welding points to target = stitched zombie.

After this experience was out of the way I sat back down and tried to figuring out what course of action to take, I learnt a lot from the masters when I drew so in that respect I headed over to the SDK thread downloaded a few and now I'm trying to recreate them. In a sense a master-copy.

But I'm blown away at how amazing it is to simply mold a form, extrude it and mold it again to form a base of something (be it recognizable or not) I'm amazed...Wow! It's so darn neat, I'm super pumped to start on my next one.

Cheers!

PS: I'm learning functions as I go, but if there is something gratifying that I need to try out do tell :)

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I don't use softimage nor have I had that specific issue, so anything I would tell you would just be wild guessing.

I will say a few things though.. like, good luck! It's definitely intimidating to jump into 3 dimensions, but once you get more used to the tools, you'll find a strong traditional background helps a lot.

Also, it's fun to see models smoothed out, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting good looking smooth models this early in the game - work on blocking out forms and simple shapes first. (your model's pretty decent for a first attempt, just keep at it.)

Also, check out the polycount wiki for tons of great info/tutorials and some inspiration: http://wiki.polycount.com/Polycount
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Shiniku! Thank you for the comment and link, I'l try and not get too preoccupied with how smooth something is as it just frustrates me in the end haha :)

So learning 3d poses some problems since I'm used to illustrating depth (rather faking it as they are tool of the trade) rather than trying to physically move it in space.

In that respect I have to draw things out to make sense of it in my own brain. Sort of pre-planning in where I throw the edges. I'm glad to see that my anatomy knowledge hasn't gone in vain and I find myself flipping through my anatomy books for reference on where the edge goes (hah new terminology too)

depth.jpg
    Here I was trying to figure out how to define certain features on the human face.

And here is where the face stands at the moment

model2b0.jpg

wiren.jpg

I read a few tutorials and started shaping something out using a basic cube. It was interested at first drawing the edges in where the socket is, the nose, actually having to draw in under the nose (as I figured I'd have to move the dot on the profile view to make it appear underneath) Great fun, and then th depth comes in where I have to figure out in space where each point goes to and what looks right.

It was hard at first, but I'm slowly understanding it and I'm starting to make careful decisions.

Anyhow, this is really cool stuff and i'm glad I started and had enough patience to get through my first model and learn some of the basic tools to start creating something. I find it really fun :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup, youll'be there in no time! 3D artists usually get better when they start focusing more on their 2D fundamentals, so Im sure itll be a smooth ride for you :) The blocky body you have already would be an excellent basemesh for Zbrush or Mudbox (once properly welded, that is hehe)

Im about to pick up XSI aswell so I'll be monitoring that thread closely ;)

Good luck!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I'm pretty sure that what went wrong when you welded your human up there is that you had faces in the middle of the body up the center line.

You need to delete those so it's a 'hollow shell'. Then weld the 2 halves.
    The renderer is trying to smooth all the way around each half AND around both halves together. (plus it's a waste of unseen polys, etc...)

Looks like you're getting a decent start though.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Yo dood, we are brothers in arms! *brofist* exept that im origonated from comic books instead of fine arts.

Just like anything else that is new, 3d is intimidating and frustrating, but youll get used to it when the time and effort is put in. Although, I too am new at 3d.

what realy helped me was Eat3d.com they have some usefull tutorials, exept you have to pay for them.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can really recommend watching these for 3D fundamentals, regardless of application: http://www.guerrillacg.org/home/3d-polygon-modeling
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The trick is learning the software, more than the concepts of 3d modeling. It's tough, but if I know you well enough you'll stick to it and make it happen. :D
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: Haha cheers for the encouragement, yes sir I learnt quite a bit on that first blocky model and now it's going to be remembered until the end of time in my head. This new model welding is all fixed up thanks to Baddcogs diagnosis.

Baddcog: Thank you, thank you, thank you, haha that was a big mistake, but lesson learned now :D Cheers!

RJBonner: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into that once I delve deeper into the mechanic of things, I just want to frustrate myself into figuring things out as I learn faster that way. *bro hug*

bbob: Awesome! Thanks for the link, I have it bookmarked now and will watch the remainder of it later this week, always great to know the importance of things.

Right so, I booted up XSI early this morning and modeled another body (trying to bring in the suggestions and what I soaked in yesterday)

fem2t.jpg

And using the geometry approximation (going to read more on that since my friend pointed that out when I showed him the "smoothed" model, he suggested to achieve the same achievement is used via the subdivision refinement.

Found in the modify>poly mesh> Local Subdivision refinement. There where two selections or modes, one catmull-clarke and the other Doo-Sabin. By flipping back and forth one seems to create a more slender figure while the other a more voluptuousness figure (doo-sabin) (by the way these are all technical terms and definitions of those two modes, just saying)

I'll read up more on what there actual functions are.

femm1.jpg

And I just want to do a shout out to stoopdapoop for being patient with me and helping me figure things out.

Cheers!

EDIT: Hands are quite the killer, I'll have to do a study of them soon. UGH
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right as the mod I'm helping out with the concepts is lacking character/organic modelers I'll give it a shot even though if it means creating temp (air quotes) model.

Here's the concept I drew up:

welder2.jpg

and I was well underway until the program crashed and I lost quite a bit of work, but I'm back at it and it's all saved up.

I'll post some shots once I have something that people can critique on.

Cheers!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi Allan, I'm curious how a great 2d guy like you creating 3d assets! I'm pretty sure you will only face a small problem like technical problem (like the stitched zombie phenomenon lol), once you get a grip at the necessary tools in your 3d package it'll be a smooth progress for you!..then after you be great at both world, I'm sorry my friend we have to kill you so you're not sabotage the industry all by yourself lol kidding :)

Anyway, to comment on your 3d progress so far, I'm not suggesting you to subdivided the mesh yet, I can see on the female stomach has a hard edge going on there (which I don't think that's what you want). First of all try to get the topology correct by making a smooth flow on the polygons (no pinching/ stretching polys). Sometimes subdivided mesh only hide the geometry error and if you go further in the project without fixing it I'm afraid the error will accumulated and when you realize it's kinda too late to fix. If you get a smooth topology from the start, whenever you want to subdivide your model it'll gonna looks good.

Good luck!
    From a 3d guy learning 2d heheh,
    _Revel
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel: Haha, I'll have to bunker myself in now :P But you shouldn't fear too much, I'm more interested in creating personal art rather than trying to break into the industry :P But I'm not complaining if I do (2D or 3D) (I'm actually interested in teaching, I wonder if companies hire teachers to teach staff?) (( Though it would be cool to see some of ones creations in this living world... and then kill it))

I just want to expand my arsenal of tools to work with when creating art. At times when I'm painting I simply can't thinking of certain depth or angles and composing things in this 3d space gives me an opportunity to see things from different angles before I paint something. I recently started using photoshop to prep things for my paintings in oil.

Thanks for your comment, I'm still struggling on how to go about forming things neatly, I opened up a few SDK's here to study and I'm still scratching my head how even and neatly spaced out some of the polys are and keep wondering if I'm missing out on something or I just haven't got it yet; never the less after watching the videos that bbob linked I've been cleaning up some meshes trying to avoid ngons and triangles (Though I'm stuck on that one since people have conflicting thoughts about the tri)

I'll definitely study more topology flow as I am getting hard edges in places I don't want them.

Cheers for the comment, still cracking hard on this welder fellow.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP, the shoes took forever to do, a lot of adding and removing edges but had to get rid of those ngons.

wipv.jpg

I paid careful attention with the topology and I learnt a lot on how edges can dramatically change the overall shape of the object. It's really fascinating how the smallest things can make such a big impact, of course there is a lot more work to be done as, including evening everything out for a nice flow.

I'm still having a riot with this whole new dimension, super fun!

I personally love listening to an array of music (as it calms my frustration hah) I've been listening to a lot of classical music, thought I might share a current piece I was/am listening to while modelling.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2zc0wTORSI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2zc0wTORSI[/ame]

Edit:

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to add the arm, I left a quad there and was planning to extrude it out and work it out from there. I'm curious if there is any other methods that I can look into (always keen to see other solutions to problems)
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Haha cheers man! Of course I'm not offended if you really interested in 3d at the end and I'll be more then happy to help you out. Most of the time I'm answering people's question at the same time remind me of that particular subject of problem so that i won't forget things. I might not be able to answer the specific XSI question since I don't have any experience with it, but 3d in general all of the software use the same principal.

Yes, looking at the SDK model will give you some idea of how the possible polygon flow but that's not the only way to do topology. To keep the topology clean basically to know the anatomy and muscle structure of the real human, where to deform/ bone extruded out and such, which I think you're quite familiar with those stuff.

Tris is not as bad as it reputation among 3d artist (lol poor tris..), it is acceptable in some place, but try to avoid it in the deformation area cus it cause pinching later on. Or if you want to take it to sculpting apps like ZBrush.

Totally agree with you, if you can handle both 2d and 3d, it'll be so much benefits to your work. Probably you can create a scene of combination of the 2 skill like matte painting in the real world but you create a 3d character in a painted world, who knows right?

//Side note;
    Owh almost forgot! one thing that you should keep in mind the different between working in 2d canvas like photoshop and 3d package like XSI, 3d is more likely to CRASHED on the worst time possible compare to 2d, so save your work often! :D

//EDIT:
    Hei Allan, I think I spot your mistake in making the geometry (sorry if I'm wrong), it looks like that you divide your mesh too much at the earlier stage. What I do usually is stay low res as long as possible, which mean that get the basic proportion right first then only go to detail. The less verts you working with the less problem that it will create.

//EDIT 2:
    Quick paint over to show you what I mean by less verts less trouble

topoleg.jpg

So as you can see I'm suing less verts to form the silhouette of the leg easier because less point to control. Hope that helps!

_Revel
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the paint-over and the ton of info.. and and the response.
    Probably my form isn't all that clear at that stage (should of thrown in the blocky arm), but what you thought was a leg is actually the whole form :) But you've given me new insight on how to approach the leg ( i usually neglected the knee since I couldn't figure out how to make it jut forward without making it too pointy, ace!)

I usually start with the boxman approach (similar to the first model I did) and slowly add more edges for refinement. It is a good practice though what you posted on starting with big shapes and then slowly going in and refine.

wip2dl.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    LOL!...so sorry! I thought it's only a leg xD
    Actually I'm wondering why you make the feet so small compare to the whole leg before, now I see why, because it's the whole body! silly me haha..

So, your topology for the arm is not all wrong

topoarm.jpg

From the pic you can see that I've change the flow around the shoulder a bit to form the edge loops, its really helpful for deformation the mesh later on. Pay attention to the neck, shoulder, pelvis area there should be an edge loops around there to make a better topology.

_Revel
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    You're going to be fine! All you have to do is research topology and edge flow, and once you have that down it will be cake for you!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Great progress Allan P, following this for sure!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah like everyone is saying, you're gonna pick up 3D no problem if you have a strong 2D foundation. The misconception with 3D is like it's a seperate art form from 2d, it's not, it's just a different medium. Drawing is much harder to master imo. Good luck with it :)
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel: Cheers mate, that helped! I'll have to work more on the shoulders as I think I went on the wrong path with that so I'll take another shot at it.

Virtuosic: Doing my best :) it still kicks my ass but I'm keeping at it haha

gilesruscoe: Cheers!

tda: Aye, hah I'm slowly realizing they aren't all that different, it's just a little more time consuming with 3d as the adding new dimension poses a little more problems, but I can see how someone who has a fair understanding of the basics of modeling, the program and a little bit of the technical side can create fantastic things.

Here's an update, hands, no matter what medium are hard hah. I'll definitely have to study them a bit more in both mediums.

bodyzi.jpg
    handss.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its best to model the hands in the "default" pose, no bends, just straight out fingers, as its alot easier to bend fingers with a rig then to straighten them out again :) also makes modelling alot easier. One thing you seem to be doing (which may have come over from your large 2d experience) is that you are modelling them in a pose, this is something you should avoid (in most situations) as it can make it a great deal harder to get the right proportions and topo. The spacing of the fingers is ideal though, as you need to leave space between them in order to be able to paint weights. they just need to look a little less... crippled :)

Little paint over for you, hope this is helpful
    paintover.jpg

Otherwise very good progress the topology in the hand itself isn't too far off (could of merges here and there)
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe: Cheers! You got me excited on working on that model again. I ran into a few issues with the arm and just couldn't figure out why. Thanks for pointing it out on your paint over. Haha and bang on, with me trying to pose him just a little bit, trying to model him in a "default" pose might be a more wiser way to go like you suggested. After all one can pose him after rigging, but that is another journey I'm not yet ready to embark on. Thanks again for the aid it is much appreciated. Definitely looking forward to fixing him up after class is done at uni

And here is a little something, did a quick texture work on bobo_the_seal's SDK head
    It was quite interesting just painting straight on the UV map (as that's what I'm used to hah, but I saw texture projection? and other nifty tools for a more precise way of getting textures on a model... I'll have to look those up later once I actually have something to texture. Cheers!

Yes bask in all that evidently mirrored texture seam! bahahaha

bobotexture.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a problem!
    Textures are looking real nice! just fix that seam xD!
    As far as accuracy is concerned i like to paint on the base colours/rough textures in 3D coat/Mudbox onto the model to get everthing in the right places and then go into PS to do all the tricky details/image overlays. Some people like to do it that way, some do it all in PS and some do it all with polypainting (straight onto 3D model) its all down to what you feel comfortable with.
    Either way, wont take you long to pick everything up! looking forward to see what else you do with that model/new ones
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After an age long hiatus from modelling, I got back at it! I found out that I really like the Blender interface and the way the functions work.

I still have a long way to go, but I learnt quite a bit doing this fellow (after I texture him I'll start another character soon as I want to apply the things I learnt onto the next) I figured I'd not worry too much about the mistakes on the previous works as the main thing to do is create and learn.

pic.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    wow man, your topoplogy has gotten so much better, I can tell even without Wires!
    See if you can get the fingers modeled. we used to be able to get away with the mitten look but not anymore :P
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonebrew22: Cheers! It's been a long road, and many trial and error to get this far (hoping to go further!)

I'll certainly get those fingers in on the next model. But I did practice modeling some a few days ago.

Texture work! It's been ages since I textured anything, and my old school ways of texturing aren't going to cut it if I want to try a more next-gen character.

Diffuse only

texture.jpg

Though texture projection is loads of fun! Makes things so much easier!
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

Wow I'm tired hah. Stayed up till 5am texturing this guy. It was definitely fun and I learnt a lot. Mainly that I tend to use more cuts than I need to which in turn causes so much problems in the later run when I am working on more complex things such as the hand or hands. (Too many vertices to push around). I also started using a bit of strip modelling which is really helpful when it comes to more complex shapes rather than using the box method. And above all, just have a small concept to work with since I spent so much time arguing with myself on how the head should look or how the textures/materials would interact with each other.

This is model just has a simple diffuse texture. I'm excited to start learning more of the "next-gen" workflow with normals, specs and all that. A first of many :)

finished%201.jpg
    wires.jpg
    (org. 1024x1024)
    text.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    simple thing to keep in mind, your loops need to be more like... well loops. I notice on your the last posted model, that their kind of bowl shape from a side view. Thats not good, it leads to awkward UVing as you can see from this mans sagging trouser sides.
    They don't need to be perfectly flat from a side view, but the less curve the more friendly. Of coarse if your character were to be naked it wouldn't matter as much, but the shirt and trousers on your guy seem to wobble along the hip so flatter loops will help with clothed models.

Also! Modeled definition between vest and person, the vest looks like a heavy duty so it looks too thick to be well defined in texture alone. Same goes for gloves and especially the shoes.
    Also look up "low poly joints" on google, there should be a link to a post on these forums. It explains that at joints like elbows and knees, loops alone won't suffice, as they will collapse in on themselves.

Anatomically all looks basic, more definition to the butt and the upper back seems appropriate, not loads, just enough to show a back curve.
    The neck is flatter at the back and the head should be slouched in front of the body to a degree that the back of the head does not fall behind the nick so much.
    Shoulders need to be raised and pulled back a tiny bit.

All in all you have made a good start, what I mentioned above are things that your bound to learn while experimenting anyway.
    Good luck, and welcome to the 3D art world,
    Thanks for reading,
    Bombshell
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your painting skills are kick ass but your choosing to do photo sourced textures? I woulda dived straight in to painting the textures helping you understand the UV unwrap better.
    Eitherway, good progress from your first model, keep it up!
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell: Awesome, awesome,awesome! Thank you for the helpful critiques. Definitely will consider those when I start my next character. The main fault with that model was that I had no direction. I just started extruding a box and fooled around with vertices till something just appeared. The same went for texturing. I read up on the low poly joints and learnt a ton. Cheers!

gilesruscoe: I'm glad you called on me for that. I, for one, didn't really have a direction for that character like I mentioned above. I just saw a box and just slapped textures on what I thought would make for interest. Downs of just concepting on the go. But I'll get something more hand-painted in soon. I've been learning the sculpting tools in blender and how to bake normals from high poly to low poly.

Head sculpt using Talon head mesh.

This is just taken from the viewport of Blender. I love,love,love setting up lights.

sculpt.jpg

I now just need to find answer how to use custom brushes or alphas now in Blender. I try to import new textures in but nothing happens :/
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loads of Nodes! Oh Noes!

nodes.jpg
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And two last renders of the night. Now it's time to figure out what I want to model next.

fac332422eor.png

fac22eor.png

fac322eor.png
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not surprised, after Allan gets past the few hassles of working with actual 3D polygons, his already developed 2D skills will grant him the ability of making great 3D models!!
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    yeah looks like you have the workflow fairly down.
    Now just keep doing studies and eventually maybe something more long form once you feel really comfortable sculpting.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, I am having too much fun with rendering stuff out.

Dogzer: Haha cheers mate! Hopefully it works out :D Ran into a few frustrations, but it means my brain doesn't know something and needs to work a little harder.

Bonebrew22: Cheers! I'm kind of drawn in by the beauty of rendering so I've been reading a lot of tutorials on SSS shaders and nodes. I'll definitely figure out that I can commit too.

render.png

render2.png

render32.png
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    would you mind posting the mesh, tri and or poly count and textures please?
    and just to comment on your latest post its looking good, I can't quite figure whats wrong with it but given the textures or even a cut up of them it might become obvious.
    The way it looks is that points under the cheek and nose are generating their own light... which is very odd.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell: The newest one doesn't have any textures it's just a normal I created a new material in blender and threw on a skin coloured tint on it. I did a quick sculpt which absolutely changed the mesh around too much from the base mesh, which might be the errors you see as there was some artifacts in the normal. I just used a head base mesh from the polycount wiki to test out the SSS settings. Cheers for the comment!

I used Talons base mesh for this. Quick sculpt.. and rendering with shaders again. I'm getting spellbound by them.

Mainly now I'm just practicing a workflow from sculpting, baking normals, applying that to low-poly base mesh. ( I still find a few errors baking the nomals as I keep forgetting to select them in order to which the active bakes onto the proper UV)

Sculpting is still something I need to play around with more to understand what the best approach is when going up in stages.

No proper diffuse, just a normal with a tinted material.

boob332s.png

boob2s.png
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey allan, I'd stay away from doing these SSS renders and focus on modelling, unwrapping and texturing. The best way to learn the pipeline is to.... do the pipeline. Probably best not to delve straight into normal maps this early on, but thats upto you. I suggest doing the following: Start off with a primative and begin building a character mesh, keep posting it here for crits/advice. Unwrap it, post the unwrap + grid textured character up for crits. Paint textures and.... you guessed it... post up here for crits :)

Doing that will teach you a basic character modelling pipeline and how to optimise geometry/texture space. Once you've got the basic pipeline down, you can start adding things like hard surface modelling/sculpting, retopo and baking etc.

Keep on going!
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilesruscoe: Cheers for the honesty. I do admit it was quite a diversion when I found those out. But back to the basics! I did start a mesh the other day, but found the hands to be a little problematic. I'll definitely get back at this once I read up on a few ways on how people tackle hands.

I've been using other peoples base meshes so I figured I'd start creating my own.
    What I have planned is:

-Male Body
    -Female Body
    -Bust

When creating a base-mesh it is optimal to have all quads right? As triangles can lead into problematic waters when it comes to sculpting?
    mesh.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's right yes, you want to keep everything in quads in your sculpt mesh, as tri's result in "poles" (little dips in the surface when you start dub-d'ing). Base mesh is looking pretty good. Bring his thighs's up a little? The torso looks rather long (especially in the back view), His legs are also looking rather buckled. Good poly distribution for a sculpt mesh however. Keep on truckin'!
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe: Cheers for the clarification and explanation. I'll definitely fix up that mesh; however, that file is acting weird. Every time I try and merge thing vertices together the mesh goes wonky and merges it dead centre on the screen rather than the point I'm telling it too. I'll head back to that, or even just start another one. I'm glad you swing by once in a while into this thread and hand off a few tips. It is greatly appreciated.

However I've been learning a bit about poly- modeling and embarked on the narcissistic journey or immortalizing my Olympian face into 3d. That way I can only insult myself haha.

There is still a lot that needs to be done and I've been following a tutorial which has helped me greatly. Once I finish this head via the tutorial I'll start another one without the aid and see what sunk in.

faceself.jpg
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started another face. Just practicing more poly modelling. I wanted to try and approach it sans tutorial to see what retained.

This one is kicking my ass since I started with such a little plane and I started splicing a little too much that it is getting a little hard to work with.

Note: Start broad and general then get tiny and detailed.

facepoly.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nicely shaped, quite high poly but when I started out on stuff like faces I was working quite high poly too. (thats not to say I'm any good XD I'm still learning myself)
    the eyes and nose are 2 things I get stuck on very often when modelling, its only recently I've been able to get a good shape for a lower poly count, it seems you've got the nose down pretty well.
    around the mouth and jaw I see some shape issues, its kind of lumpy and looking at some of your edges their a bit wavy, it may be amateur of me but I would use blenders vert smooth on the lines, I assume your using blender from he GUI (use alt + right click to select "loops" which can also be lines of edges) I would them re-proportionate them in areas to maintain volume and shape. Its easier than manually selecting and moving every vert.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Allan! Glad to see I'm not alone here :)

I see a lot of improvement since your first post til now. This last face is developing really well. Congrats! I didn't see you using image planes in any moment, but as your strongest ability is drawing, I believe using them will give much more control and better results over your models.

As you are using Blender, why don't you try sculpting a bit too? The Blender sculpt tools are pretty decent, and are worthy to try.

Keep it up, my friend, I'll keep an eye on your thread!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Bombshell wrote: »
    ... it may be amateur of me but I would use blenders vert smooth on the lines, I assume your using blender from he GUI (use alt + right click to select "loops" which can also be lines of edges) I would them re-proportionate them in areas to maintain volume and shape. Its easier than manually selecting and moving every vert.

If you want to reshape a lot of vertices at once, you can use Blender soft selection. Hit "o" on keyboard, this let you use it. For more info, please take a look on Blender documentation:

http://download.blender.org/documentation/NaN_docs/Manual2.0/Pet.1.html
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell: Haha, I have no idea why I started so small. I was thinking too much about detail perhaps. I fixed a bit of the lumpy areas and tried smoothing the edgeloops a bit. Cheers for the tip! I almost forget that function, it does make life a little easier.

jramauri: Thanks! I used a bit of sculpting, but I definitely will dive deeper into that when I have a few meshes of my own to tamper with. And that O function is tads awesome. Reminds me of the liquify tool on photoshop. As for the reference images I do use them, but I tend to only follow them on key moments since it gets a little tiresome try to line everything up and it is hard getting exact positions. I model the key parts and then go on from what I think is right.

Update: Nearly nearly scrapped this since it is getting a little hard to work on, but I'm going to motor through this one and start the next.. well maybe if I like this I'l throw some textures onto it :)

g2.jpg
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished! Well tweaking time.. My goodness this took forever! The ear went quite swimmingly actually.

finished.jpg
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jramauri wrote: »
    If you want to reshape a lot of vertices at once, you can use Blender soft selection. Hit "o" on keyboard, this let you use it. For more info, please take a look on Blender documentation:

http://download.blender.org/documentation/NaN_docs/Manual2.0/Pet.1.html

I know about that, I meant some of the verts seemed a bit off making the lines of edges squiggle at points, I was suggesting a simple way of realigning verts rather than manually moving each out of place vert.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to comment on the current model,
    the scalp needs to be more round like so http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/2006/03/antm_cycle_6/tyra-banks-bald-head.jpg
    it also in some cases has a slightly squarer shape.
    The necks loops are really out of place and messed up, the back of the neck goes flatter than the back of the head and the shape is much sharper on the skull than you've shown.
    http://www.empowher.com/files/ebsco/images/neck_muscles.jpg

EDIT: sorry for double post *face palm*
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slap a subdivision modifier on it and post us some smooth images w/o wires, i have a small feeling there might be some funky stuff going on with all those edge loops in the corner of the lips once you start dividing the mesh.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try paying more attention to the loops of the face, right now its pretty much a linear quad mesh extending from the mouth, resulting in a lot of excess geometry.

Try heading over to the polycount wiki page for facial topology, it has a bunch of lovely reference.

FaceTopology?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Luis_Antonio_Facetopo.jpg