Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Street Scene

Hello fellow Polycount...ers!

I'm predominately a Source mapper and this was my first *real* project in the UDK and, really, the most major modelling and texturing project I have ever undertaken. My aim was to create a test environment with the sole purpose of learning the ins and outs of how to build a small part of a level using models and a handful of textures.

Bearing in mind that I would never consider myself an environment artist, this was going to be a tough challenge. Still, I pushed on for several weeks, reading through tons of tutorials, threads, and general internet things until I eventually I ended up with the following.

street-scene-night-babysize.jpg

street-scene-day-babysize.jpg

(Foliage, fire hydrant, sidewalks and the leaf models/particles are stock content.)

Here are the models and texture sheets that make up the building.

model_buildingparts_babysize.jpg

And, finally, a virtual handful of the props I made.

model_aircon_babysize.jpg

Empty space at bottom isn't a true representation of the texture as the aircon part sits in the texsheet of the building. I might add some vent holes along the side for extra detailings.

model_fusebox_babysize.jpg

Shiny sign looks silly, I know. Empty space at bottom could be filled out with the rest of that metal texture. Might be useful for some other random prop.

model_lamppost_babysize.jpg

Not too sure about the polycount on this. Then again, I've seen many props in the UDK that have very high poly counts. I guess the engine can handle it because it's awesome like that.

So that's that. And thank baby raptor jesus because I was getting sick of the bloody thing. I still consider it a work in progress as there are a few things I want to change/add (fix bad lightmap uvs, add decals, make more props, etc) but I just want a nice break after working on this for a few weeks straight.

Now I know that it may not seem like much, and it certainly wasn't as architecturally adventurous as originally planned, but I'd say that I've learnt a lot about modelling and texturing, and I'm happy with the result.

It certainly feels like it was time well spent, I feel a lot more confident with my skillz and maybe now I can work on that little DM level I've had in mind for a while now. :ohmy:

Replies

• Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it just me or do things change from day to night?
    1) on the top right of the building there is an air conditioner and then it gets replaced by a window
    2) The whole middle of the building is gone
    3) The roof is different

Those are just 3 things that I notice right away. Other than that I like it :) I am still only busy making random props for modelling practice and have not even tried a scene yet so good on you!

(I apologise if this arrives late because I am still under moderation. Also because I am still new I cant really point out problems that much)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I really like how you've wrapped this piece together with minimum props and assets, yet it looks really well done.
  • Carter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good, the biggest thing that sticks out for me is the white chiseled brick, in your texture you can see its quite sharp and well defined but in the UDK it looks quite soft and blobby presumably this is a too soft specular doing this.
    If possible I'd also increase the resolution of the bench texture as its so close to the camera and vary the temprature of the lights in the night scene changing the street lamp to a more yellow colour.
    Also I just noticed part of the building disappears at night, where's it gone to?
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice looking scene! I like the design of the building and the camera layout. Making me want to start a new environment :D
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice, I can (probably) only wish the next GTA looked like that.

That being said, the sky looks a little, empty in both shots. The night sky could of course use a few dim stars and the sunset maybe another cloud or two as that far up in the sky doesn't tend to be that orange.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I see another air conditioning unit modeled... I am going to shoot myself. With all kidding aside, it looks great, except for that sky, it looks like it could be a portfolio piece. But we do need to see some wire frames. Also, 2100 tris on that lamp post seems high...
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    There are some great modular elements here! You will definitely be able to make an awesome scene with everything you've made. The night scene is bothering me a little, because it doesn't really resemble night lighting from the moon. The light coming from the windows should provide a glow from the outside of the frames, and should be casting light to the surrounding elements. If you open up some of the maps from UDK you will see that lights are even placed on top of elements with emissive maps to give it that extra pop. I am also making a night scene right now, and I have been using a dominant directional light to get a moon-like lighting setup. I would expand the range of highs and lows to really push focal areas of the scene. Direct the viewers eye around the scene with your lighting, and create pools of light the keep us interested! Great work here, can't wait to see more
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nekomata wrote: »
    Is it just me or do things change from day to night?
    1) on the top right of the building there is an air conditioner and then it gets replaced by a window
    2) The whole middle of the building is gone
    3) The roof is different

Those are just 3 things that I notice right away. Other than that I like it :) I am still only busy making random props for modelling practice and have not even tried a scene yet so good on you!

(I apologise if this arrives late because I am still under moderation. Also because I am still new I cant really point out problems that much)

Chances are you probably missed that >.<
  • Psy-UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter wrote: »
    Looking good, the biggest thing that sticks out for me is the white chiseled brick, in your texture you can see its quite sharp and well defined but in the UDK it looks quite soft and blobby presumably this is a too soft specular doing this.

I'm still experimenting with the normal map so I'm aware of how strange it still appears.
    Carter wrote: »
    If possible I'd also increase the resolution of the bench texture as its so close to the camera and vary the temprature of the lights in the night scene changing the street lamp to a more yellow colour.

I cooked up the daytime version purely because I've never been able to perfect the lighting in the night time version. Maybe I'll give it another bash.

As I changed the lighting to daytime I had to remove the backlit windows which were adding variation to the scene beforehand, which is why I changed the building a bit to maintain some variation. :)
    locater16 wrote: »
    That being said, the sky looks a little, empty in both shots. The night sky could of course use a few dim stars and the sunset maybe another cloud or two as that far up in the sky doesn't tend to be that orange.

Yep. Totally agree.
    Also, 2100 tris on that lamp post seems high...

Maybe. There are few edge loops I could remove. But, to be honest, I'm really not sure about polycounts nowadays, especially in the UDK as I've seen relatively small objects with huge polycounts being placed all over the map. :X

Some wires.

wireframe_building_bits_baby.jpg

wireframe_posts_1_baby.jpg

wireframe_props_1_baby.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    very cool. i wonder if maybe you could chamfer some of the edges on the bricks to make it look not so hard edged
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Oniram wrote: »
    very cool. i wonder if maybe you could chamfer some of the edges on the bricks to make it look not so hard edged

Agreed, adding some chamfers will definitely sell the feel of the brick pillars.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the lamp I think you can make a low-poly version of it and a normal map can add the details.