Home General Discussion

Dealing with uninspired, unwilling, and untalented individuals

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 17
So this issue has come up for myself and a few other colleagues recently. I like a few others here (i suppose) are currently at university getting a degree in the game-art field. Although the university sucks (too late to quit), the one good thing is i feel motivated because my major has its own private computer lab to work on our things. now originally it was meant to be an "honors" lab, for those who would work and not cause disturbances by spending 8 hours a day on 4chan or youtube.

well here's the issue. out of the 20 (ballparking) people who actively use the lab, only 5 others aside from myself actually use it for work. the rest are CONSTANTLY playing League of Legends, Minecraft, or just messing around on youtube. When it comes time for them to show work, because eventually they have to, i get embarrassed for them. knowing that generally they have the exact same training and disciplines i do, their work should be at the same level. there is a guy in his 1st year who is better than about 10 people in their 4th.

im just wondering if other people have run into some sort of circumstance like this, where you come across people who are "trying" to get into the industry, but basically dont give a shit enough to put forth any effort expecting that a job will just come naturally. i know that i should just say "well thats less competition for getting a job, but just generally being around these people puts a damper on my willingness to work, because there is always a distraction from the constant yelling of "OH MY GOD THEY ARE GANKING! FORTIFY! USE YOUR ULT!" and so on.

just wanted other peoples opinions on this, and if anyone has any non-murderous methods to coping with idiocy, id like to know. :D

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    headphones.....

I sympathise though man, nothing worse than trying to concentrate in Uni labs while a bunch of muppets whoop it up on youtube.....they so funny :)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Decent headphones. Or learn to ignore better.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Just laugh when you get a job out of school and there all sitting around asking why no one will hire them.
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    hang out and talk with motivated and inspired ones. /ignore to procrastinators!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol. a few months ago i got these

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/around_ear_headphones/index.jsp

@eric: yeah i know i will laugh, but im wondering if i should actually take it to the point of calling them all out on it. next week we have to submit our portfolios which needs to be near 40% done.. and there are guys who arent even 5%.

@cox: i do. originally i did associate with the procrastinators, until we got into the more serious classes that required us to work together. there was actually 1 instance where one guy got up and sort of looked like he was going to hit me because i basically told him he hadnt done anything to show that he was anywhere near being an amateur artist, and he said he wanted to model the characters for our game. but now i sit in a corner with the good artists.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Put on some headphones, crank up some music and ignore them? These sound like the same people that write articles about how their schooling didn't gaurantee them a job.

Granted, I never went to school. If I was in that situation, I would make friends with the 5 that do work and sit next to them whenever I'm in lab. Pluses if they're better than me, since working next to someone like that always boosts my productivity and quality bar higher
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I've come across many people like this while I was in art school. I've also came across many people like yourself. I've never understood the reasoning behind pointing out that other people "don't give a shit" or watching them so hard that you know how often and what games they play when, you think, they should be doing work.

You're basically talking shit on other people while, at the same time, boasting about yourself.

Live and let live. Learn to ignore. Worry about your own work. Headphones. etc. etc.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i see what you're saying Geezus. but its not that im going out of my way to take notice of what they do. its something that has been going on every day for the past 6 months or so. but yeah.. i really try not to make a big thing of it, but yesterday it was just so bad that headphones and blaring death metal would not even drown out the noise.. so i basically just had to leave. and thats where it gets bothersome
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Totally know where your coming from, that always one thing i say to anybody who says "yeah im going to
    school so i can make games" I just tell them, the company doesn't usually give a shit what school you went to, its the portfolio, and no school i know of makes portfolios for their students.
    But yeah its really hard to stay focused when theres a group of 10 people right beside you laughing at lol cat videos. Or when they ask you the same things instructors have JUST explained because they were checking their fucking facebook! sorry for that rant, i just definitely know what your going through. Like people have said, good set of headphones, what i did as well was stay after class, most of those people left as soon as they were "allowed" like high-schoolers or something.

Not to sound like an old timey grandpa, but i really feel this shows just how entitled our generation thinks they are. Don't get me wrong theres a lot of hardworking kids now a days(a lot on PC), sometimes i just shake my head when i see people our age though.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm in the same boat.

We currently are about 10+ in the class, and it's actually sickening on how lazy some people are.

We have 3 semesters in total (onto the final big stretch) and apart from me and one other guy, who not only knew the Uni/College would suck in terms of freelance teachers, but that we constantly need learn by ourselves if we want to be ahead of the curve, the others guys don't give a toss about anything, they try, but they don't seem to want to learn anything other then 'let me work on something while the teacher is in class explaining something, and then it comes to bite me back in my arse'.

What's even more perplexing is how a group of guys are working on an IPhone game using the UDK engine have actually ripped out the assets from Eat3D tutorials and a few others from games available at the UDK site, and even copied the kismet without consideration, and plan on selling the game. Needless to say, the whistle will be blown when the time comes, but it's sad to see they actually think they can EVEN get a job like this when they don't have a portfolio.

So I understand where you come from, my advice? Act like Dr. House...no honestly, I'm serious, just think of it this way, you could one day even open up your studio or become a head developer of another studio, creating small budget indie-esque games while these guys will be serving cheese burgers to some obese man who looks like they black-market truffles with their flabs.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    I found other motivated people, rented a house together and we built our own damn computer lab. It was awesome!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id love if they left after class. there are some people who come to school on days they dont have class.. from 8am to 10pm.. nonstop league of legends.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in the same situation as you man, but luckily I recently built myself a new computer, so now I don't have to be at the school other than for class.

It really is sad that people expect to be handed jobs just because they're going to school for something. I know people who are supposed to graduate soon, and I have never seen them work on anything. How the hell does that work.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, headphones yes... the workplace is pretty similar!
  • Thor Sowards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha feels like we go to the same school. I just stopped caring about em after dealing with there shit for so long
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k wrote: »
    I found other motivated people, rented a house together and we built our own damn computer lab. It was awesome!

that actually sounds like a really good idea. lol.
    What's even more perplexing is how a group of guys are working on an IPhone game using the UDK engine have actually ripped out the assets from Eat3D tutorials and a few others from games available at the UDK site, and even copied the kismet without consideration, and plan on selling the game. Needless to say, the whistle will be blown when the time comes, but it's sad to see they actually think they can EVEN get a job like this when they don't have a portfolio.

yeah. i kno a few people who have done somewhat of the same thing as well... but they have sold the game.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Oniram wrote: »
    i see what you're saying Geezus. but its not that im going out of my way to take notice of what they do. its something that has been going on every day for the past 6 months or so. but yeah.. i really try not to make a big thing of it, but yesterday it was just so bad that headphones and blaring death metal would not even drown out the noise.. so i basically just had to leave. and thats where it gets bothersome

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. You're going to see this in any school, and any major. Just don't let your passion turn you into a bitter person who talks down on others. It's not a flattering mask to wear.

I was at school every day it was open, 12+ hours a day, for 4 years. I skipped the labs altogether, and ended up doing my work in classrooms of teachers I knew. I would sit in the back, alone, with my headphones on, and do my work. I never disturbed anyone and was always respectful of the class in progress. The labs were often full of facebook/myspace addicts, loud music, and lots of talking. It can get bothersome, but you need to find a way around it.

cman2k wrote: »

Aye, AiP always did, and still does, have the core handful of motivated students. They typically migrate towards each other and keep each other motivated. \m/
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Sbecause there is always a distraction from the constant yelling of "OH MY GOD THEY ARE GANKING! FORTIFY! USE YOUR ULT!" and so on.

haha! sounds like lunch break over here. lol is a cult...6 months clean, thank god.

College is the first real filter you need to deal with heading into your professional career. I'd expect there to be a massive drop-off, but the fact that the lab is being used for gaming is an issue. It sucks to have to be the whiner that ruins everyones fun, but id talk to the dept head about limiting gaming in the lab. You're paying them for the work environment and you're entitled to that. If those kids want to burn their tuition, let them do it at home.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    As a tutor i always "loved" these people, told them to leave the class, doesn't make any sense to be there and play WoW. Those are usually the guys who think, just becaue they got the degree they'll land a badass job in the industry, letting their parents pay shitloads of money for the school...
    This is Madness!
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    As a tutor i always "loved" these people, told them to leave the class, doesn't make any sense to be there and play WoW. Those are usually the guys who think, just becaue they got the degree they'll land a badass job in the industry, letting their parents pay shitloads of money for the school...
    This is Madness!

:thumbup::):thumbup:
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Oniram,

It's unfortunate that you have to deal with this at school. Just do like others have said. Surround yourself with motivated people and do the best you can. When it comes to team projects make sure the team leader and instructors have a list of who is responsible for what.

It's an even bigger tragedy when you have to deal with this in a professional environment. Luckily, for the last few years I haven't had to deal with this.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    "OH MY GOD THEY ARE GANKING! FORTIFY! USE YOUR ULT!"

hahah, that sounds like lunchtime at the office
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    cox wrote: »
    hang out and talk with motivated and inspired ones. /ignore to procrastinators!

a million times this! It makes amazing things happen.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    It happens on all spectrum. I'm in fine arts and constantly have to deal with people like that, especially in a shared studio. I'm trying to draw and study in my sketchbook but I am always interrupted by the people either throwing things ontop of my sketchbook or just whacking it. So I've learnt just to doodle in the library. Sad shame I can't even do it on my own space. I just learnt to find motivated people (sadly it has become rare now) and chat with them, get pumped and passionate since the unmotivated people DO bring you down. No matter how hard you ignore it does bring you down a notch.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, headphones yes... the workplace is pretty similar!
    Yep... get used to it.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I would like to think I would have told them to get out of the lab before it got to the point you've described. If you're not comfortable doing that yourself (it'll be harder since they're used to doing it), find someone at your school who can enforce the lab rules and make them do it. For the good labs at my uni, there were student employees whose main job was kicking out anyone that was disruptive to people who were working. Maybe you can talk your school in to doing that? It was also the best student job ever, they got paid to sit in the lab and do work (almost no one ever tried anything since there was someone there who would stop them).
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I only really associate with about 4 other game art students in my school, we're all great friends and the hardest working students in the major. So yeah, like minded students usually migrate towards each other.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster wrote: »
    Oniram,

It's unfortunate that you have to deal with this at school. Just do like others have said. Surround yourself with motivated people and do the best you can. When it comes to team projects make sure the team leader and instructors have a list of who is responsible for what.

yeah, we just got through that situation not too long ago. where our project team of 9 was cut down to 6 because 3 of them were doing nothing.. and now they are doing nothing on their own.

generally i think the ONLY way these people can snap out of the habit of not doing anything is to fail a class. which none of them have. how is this possible? you ask. well its simple. the teacher that passes them is a guy who doesnt know his ass from his elbow when it comes to standard industry quality work, and he just decides to pass crap. it wasnt until about a year ago that we got a new instructor who actually failed about 5 students for having bad work.. causing them to stay an extra 11 weeks until they graduate. if these guys fail.. which, lets face it.. they need to, hopefully that will be a wakeup call to them
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    This situation has been the reason I stopped going to my Design class for most of the semester.
    It was like I'd go in the beginning and it would just be a bunch of idiot anime nerds yelling about shit and I'm like
    "Why am I here right now? I could be getting so much more done at home"

So then I stopped going and started working on my final project (a 10'' Maquette) in my free time.

Just two weeks ago I showed up to get some feedback and everyone there just keeps coming over and going "NERGGAZMS OMG HOW DO YOU DO THAT?"
    Im like "By getting work done that's how, so fuck off and let me do that".
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Also, Toy/Automotive/Graphic Design students are worse than game design students for this kind of thing I think.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bonebrew:now see here's another thing that sort of corresponds to your situation of doing good work. whenever myself or the other good artists here show good work, all of the other ones just sit there and say "overachiever!" which really makes no sense to me in that case..
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    This thread is far too self serving. I'm actually shocked as to how rude people are... or want to be. What does it matter to any of you how much someone else slacks off? They are the ones that will sink into debt without any means of getting out of it. They are also the people who will, most likely, talk down on the school/major/industry. Either way... it's their time, their money, and their life. Worry about you and yours, else come off as a prick who thinks far too highly of themselves, and has no room for growth.

The only valid argument I've heard, from previous conversations about this, is that students who are looking for an honest critique from an instructor, are often times not given the amount of time they would like, because the instructor is busy listening to excuses, or critiquing the living hell out of some half-assed work that the other student obviously didn't put any love into.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Oniram, you should talk to your department head about the problems. If there are lab monitors, the person in charge needs to know they aren't doing their jobs or the issue won't be fixed. Also, there should be no reason your tech department can't block certain .exe files. My school had to do this with league of legends when enough students complained about the disruption it was causing.

I understand your frustration, but make sure you explore more productive options for dealing with it than posting on polycount! :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    This was 90% of the people I went to college with at AI SD. Durring the starting years of school I was friends with most people but as shit went on I stopped hanging out with them. I didnt want to be around people who dont challenge me to do better, who are just lazy sloths. I went out of my way to become friends with people actually interested and dedicated to there craft. It wasnt hard either, its easy to strike up conversations with people extremely passionate about the same things you are.

Unlike most people and teachers I ALWAYS tried to give the most honest feedback I could in class when people would present there stuff. I would base the way I critiqued peoples work by the industry standards people need to hit to get a job as I would always hold myself to that standard.

This of course didnt go over well with everyone as some people cant take honest feedback letting them know, hey you slacked off playing video games and your work needs a lot to make it better. Most people just wanted to hear "oh it looks cool" "I like this and this". Even teachers gave feedback like that to people which I HATED. Eventually they started to realize that there were talented individuals not just slacking off and giving honest critiques in class and they started to follow suit which is awesome. Try and give honest feedback without being a dick though, hard line to walk and I definatly stepped over it a few times. :)

One thing I realized was that critiquing others work helped me see flaws in my own work and areas I could improve. It also helped some people as they used the advice I and others gave them to try and make there work better. Of course most didnt listen, didnt care and didnt do anything else but there all doing nothing with there lives now so its there tough luck.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Talk to them? Hangout for a bit, take a small break and try to get to know them better, talk about school and homework?

Who knows what might happen, they might change for the better, and then all you guys go out and make a little studio.

The studio goes under and all you guys enter hiatus... This is when you start making the best art ever man, learn techniques that no one knows and get hired instantly! At work you're constantly getting fondled, by hot babes, while you complete 126 models a day for the biggest upcoming AAA title.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Also, keep in mind... the more they slack off, the less likely it is that they will be competition for you, in the future. ;)
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Challenge them to a duel.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Just in case you're interested I spent countless months trying to make people give a shit about game art at their workplace. I've tried sharing cool art, tips, writing tutorials to optimize peoples work and even some monetary incentive and employee of the month kind of rubbish, but It was all like tilting at a windmill.
    My conclusion so far is "talk to them for a bit, try to explain" if they don't listen - avoid them. If they inhibit you work talk to your teachers to see if they can at least separate the classroom space between those who give a shit and those who don't. Uninspired people are not worth wasting much time on.

And keep a positive attitude:)

cheers!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ignore them. I know its hard. ive been there too. music tends to help. and, pick a computer at the front, so you cant see them outta the corner of your eye.

also, when they show their half assed folio in a week or two, that is only 5% instead of 40.... call em on it! rip it apart saying its shit for how much time we`ve had. if they get defensive, call them on all the game playing. its bitchy, but surprizingly fun.... lol do it!

or, you could just send an email to your department head and tell them whats going on. They`ll take care of the issue.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram, you should talk to your department head about the problems. If there are lab monitors, the person in charge needs to know they aren't doing their jobs or the issue won't be fixed. Also, there should be no reason your tech department can't block certain .exe files. My school had to do this with league of legends when enough students complained about the disruption it was causing.

I understand your frustration, but make sure you explore more productive options for dealing with it than posting on polycount! :)

this was discussed last night between myself and a few other colleagues. we actually wondered if the school would be able to block the exe or the port that they connect to thru the game. since yesterday was basically the straw that broke the camels back (we all had to leave because of the disruptions), i had wondered whether or not taking that sort of "tattle-tale" action would be something i should do or not. but generally i guess that seems like its the only option left at this point. since i wont see them again until tuesday when we have to present in class.. ill try that method of talking to them rationally and explaining/critiquing to them to see if maybe it helps their work-ethic. if not then i guess i do have no other choice than to go to the dean/dept head.

also just want to say sry if this thread is bothering people, but generally there arent too many people i can turn to in a situation like this that would actually have some good feedback other than you fine people. :D
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Yep... get used to it.

yes you just described 80% of the game companies i have ever worked for. i have no idea how some of the people i have worked with even got a job, well i know one kid stole the majority of his portfolio from the last place he interned at, but he weaseled his way into a producer role by kissing enough ass.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, same thing happened at my school.

Don't let it get to you, all of those kids (in my case) somehow graduated, and are now working in grocery stores/fast food/etc...

You get from school what you put into it.

Personally, I didn't mind, because contrary to what some are saying, the Instructors at my school didn't bother to help those students unless they directly asked for it..which meant I got much more face time with them.

One thing that really sucked though was the lack of competition. I don't mean that like I'm trying to boast about my skill or anything like that, but competition with students/people can really push you and your work to a higher level. I ended up filling the void by posting work and participating at CGSociety (and eventually here on Polycount).
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheap computer + bedroom = quiet learning time? I tend to agree with Geezus that ignoring them/removing yourself from the situation is the best bet. Ratting them out to the administration could bring up all kinds of unforeseen problems. I'd personally find it much more satisfying to let them drown in their own shitty work ethic than try and 'fix' them. They're not your problem unless you make them one. I'd think that getting out of the lab would ultimately be more productive for you anyway.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I didn't mind, because contrary to what some are saying, the Instructors at my school didn't bother to help those students unless they directly asked for it..which meant I got much more face time with them.

true.
    Cheap computer + bedroom = quiet learning time? I tend to agree with Geezus that ignoring them/removing yourself from the situation is the best bet. Ratting them out to the administration could bring up all kinds of unforeseen problems. I'd personally find it much more satisfying to let them drown in their own shitty work ethic than try and 'fix' them. They're not your problem unless you make them one. I'd think that getting out of the lab would ultimately be more productive for you anyway.

i agree also. i have a pretty decent computer at home.. better than at school in fact, but i live about 30-40 minutes away and i figure if i need to be here for a class, i may as well stay most of the day. but yeah, i guess that is the only solution is to just ignore them as best as possible.

thx everyone for all the advice n whatnot. this thread doesnt really need to go any further.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    generally i think the ONLY way these people can snap out of the habit of not doing anything is to fail a class. which none of them have. how is this possible? you ask. well its simple. the teacher that passes them is a guy who doesnt know his ass from his elbow when it comes to standard industry quality work, and he just decides to pass crap. it wasnt until about a year ago that we got a new instructor who actually failed about 5 students for having bad work.. causing them to stay an extra 11 weeks until they graduate. if these guys fail.. which, lets face it.. they need to, hopefully that will be a wakeup call to them

This right here perfectly describes what is wrong with games 'design' sources and the students in them.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    So I had a module called Visual Design which was basically a graphic arts fundamentals thing. But it was a module designed for media studies students (that lower than games design!) and our lecturer hadn't really geared the module towards Games students.

Every week the back third of the class would be full of games students not giving a fuck. It was embarrassing how many of the game students talked loudly to each other over the lecturer, threw things around the room constantly, walk in half an hour late etc.

Everyone complained that the lecturer wasn't teaching to our course, and as student rep I brought it up to him in the next meeting. Two lectures later and its clear he is trying to gear the lesson towards the games students. 'How does the lighting and composition of this scene guide the player?' 'what are some of the intended messages in this poster advertisement? who is the publisher trying to appeal to?' Bad idea.

I was so fucking embarrassed. after making a point to ask him to do this, the moment he mentioned a games title someone would yell out a meme or some stupid fucking joke and about ten people would start talking over each other to spew the most internet jokes as physically possible. He couldn't get a word in over some fat neck beard who failed the year yelling 'COD IS FOR DUMB AMERICANS WHO LOVE GUNS TOO MUCH HURR HURR'.

Basically, that class was everything you here about dumbass apathetic games design students rolled into a big ball of the worst things about gamer culture. I couldn't fcuking believe it.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive had my fair share of these experiences, im not gunna drudge it up right now seeing as I have a fair bit of respect for the hard work my lecturers have put into running the course, its just the people that do pretty much everything mentioned above that have caused me to really hate the last year in particular.

I think its just a case of making the best out of the bad situation, you're paying to be at Uni, aslong as the work is done, and its done well, you should be okay.

I really feel for everyone in these situations because it really takes its toll after a while. I did as Sean said, brought a kickass computer and have literally huddled up working for the past year or so, choosing to work in near solitude (other than my 3 housemates). It was just the best option given the working parameters.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I wish I could do that Scott. Though I find sometimes working with people around you is better as you can get instant feedback and maybe chat a bit on how/what to do. Sitting at home deprives of this (there's always MSN and other stuff but find chatting 1 on 1 or as a group is better), I just get some headphones and ignore people.
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I hear you Haiddasalami its been really hard, totally put me off the idea of ever freelancing being on your own is horrible! I use forums for feedback alot, mainly polycount but you're right, its not instant crits like being around like minded people.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    About schools blocking apps. Some schools might, but I doubt for profit schools will. At least here in the states the school I attended actively told instructors they had to pass students with at least a "D" so they wouldn't hurt students feelings. (Also -speculation- so they could milk students for cash.)
    A number of the teachers didn't care about helping 90% of students. I got to be good friends with a few instructors who all did great work, and what they told me were, the ones that tried they knew it, and they'd help them as much as they could. The ones that slack and don't care. The school has their hands tied basically so they only focus real energy on the ones that want to learn. The rest of the time, they'll work on their own portfolios.

Of course this doesn't speak for every instructor. One of the instructors I was friends with constantly battled the school to fail students which eventually led to his termination. Good guy, but he's got better work now :)