Home General Discussion

Sub 15" Laptop Super Duper non Pooper

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Define "enough speed" =P

Really, just go make lunch or do something else if you have a bake that is taking a long time, which generally you should be doing anyway, not just staring at the status bar. =P

I try to do other asset preparation like setting up PSDs and masks or any other work I can do while baking AO. If you can do some secondary tasks, its really not wasted time. Again its only a few months anyway, you dont need to worry about it like its something that will effect you for the rest of your life.

I vote for the cheap one, cuz its cheap, but any of these in the $400-600 range seem suitable.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Define "enough speed" =P

Really, just go make lunch or do something else if you have a bake that is taking a long time, which generally you should be doing anyway, not just staring at the status bar. =P

I try to do other asset preparation like setting up PSDs and masks or any other work I can do while baking AO. If you can do some secondary tasks, its really not wasted time. Again its only a few months anyway, you dont need to worry about it like its something that will effect you for the rest of your life.

I vote for the cheap one, cuz its cheap, but any of these in the $400-600 range seem suitable.

Maybe its the systems I have been on, but when baking the whole system can chug. Even limiting the render to one processor.

Someone just showed me a 20% discount on dell outlet. So I can get the m11x r2 i7 for 770 or i5 for 715 w/tax. Still too high?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IF you get chugging after limiting to one CPU(set affinity), also do set priority to below normal, this always works for me in xnormal. Often times I will bake normals/color mask in maya, and AO in Xnormal at the same time with this method, i've got 4 cores, but you get the idea.

I5 for $715 sounds good if you're thinking $600 range, but if you can find something decent for $4-500 I would probably jump on that.

That I3 380m benchmarks not so far below my Q6600 quad core
    Q6600(2,981)
    380m (2,332)
    3200+(531)

Really, that should be great for bakes, and a huge performance gain over your desktop. If that i5 2537M is anywhere near the i5 2500, that's just an excessive amount of speed for a laptop.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to thank everyone who gave input. Especially EQ and Spicypixel.

I ended up getting a refurbished aAlienware m11x r.2. With a discount someone showed me, it ended up $670 (plus tax though which did raise it above 700). Which made it cheaper than that Asus I was looking at and more powerful.

So the overview.
    I7 (2 core).
    4gigs.
    1 gig Vid card
    12"

All it lacks really is dx11. Which I was more wanting in case Max implements it or something for tessellation previews. Not too big a deal.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that sounds excellent for the price.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starting at 1759..... are you kidding?

I'm sure the 250 degree heat it puts off, and the 37 minuite battery life sure makes up for that price. Overclock a laptop.... everything about that is fucking retarded.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I just priced out a $12,000 laptop on Orion's site, are there really people dumb enough to fall for this shit?

For only $12,000, you too can own a laptop as fast as a $2500 desktop, wooo!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Man, I just priced out a $12,000 laptop on Orion's site, are there really people dumb enough to fall for this shit?

For only $12,000, you too can own a laptop as fast as a $2500 desktop, wooo!

You haven't seen Northwest Falcon Computers then. (Or for that matter Apple)

Hboybowen, aren't they just using one of the sager or whitebox with their names plastered on. I saw similar speced for at least $100-250 less on xotic pc.

My Laptop comes Friday.
  • oXYnary