Home General Discussion

Sub 15" Laptop Super Duper non Pooper

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
My turn to start such a thread. I cant wait any longer for Bulldozer. Need something for meantime and portability after I get a new desktop eventually. So since just had bday, treating self.

Want:

Minimums
CPU Min: I5

Graphics Card: DX 11 with 1 gig
BELOW 90th mark on Benchmarks
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

4 Gigs ram: 1333 better if possible.

I don't need a big hardrive. Wanted to replace right away with SSD. For that matter, don't need an optical.

Finds:

::::::::::::::::
$1000

Alienware M11x

Intel® Core™ i7 640UM (4M Cache, 1.2 GHZ with 2.266 GHz Max Turbo Frequency)
500GB SATAII 7,200RPM
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) WLED
1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M

Fwiw: Not a quad core i7

Pro: Super Small
Con: Overpriced. Its a Dell :P

:::::::::::::::

$800

ASUS N82 Series N82JQ-XV1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 14" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230024

Pro: Good Balance
Con: Battery time mentioned in review. Still a bit large

::::::::::::::

Best Deal: Unfortunately a 15.6 incher.

$935

Sager NP5160 / Clevo W150HN
- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
- Stock Thermal Compound-
- nVidia GT 540M 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology
- No Video Adapter
- ~ 8,192MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)- Special
- Standard Finish
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Software
- ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - Default

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5160-custom-laptop-built-the-clevo-w150hn-p-2999.html?wconfigure=yes

CON: Bigger than I want to cart.
Pro: Best price and performance and a high rez for a 15"

;::::::::::::::::::::

Replies

• Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    I'm in the same boat, I'm about to order a Sager 8130. Has a better video card then the one you are looking at, and a really nice matte screen instead of glossy. I think the Sager is the best one mentioned, I think the M11x would be too small of a screen to do anything on, and the video card on the Asus is pretty weak.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sager is pretty nice. DDR5 Vid Mem. Though, I'd hate to see battery life and heat on it. Do I also really need 1.5 gigs of memory? It does have a huge performance with 26th on the chart for speed for the gpu. Compared to the 540m on the other Sager I mentioned earlier which is 69th (out of 300).

FWIW what Waz and I are speaking about:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8130-built-clevo-p151hm1-custom-sager-laptop-p-2973.html?wconfigure=yes

Sager NP8130 Overview

Display
    15.6" FHD (1920x1080) Matte
    Video Card:
    1536MB DDR5 nVIDIA 460M
    Processor:
    2nd Generation Intel® Core i5/i7 1333MHz FSB up to 8MB L3 Cache (Customizable)
    Memory:
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz (Up to 16GB)
    Hard Drive:
    Customizable from 320GB to 640GB SATA 5400/7200RPM or SSD's
    Battery Life:
    2-3 Hour
    Weight:
    6.83lbs

I might do that as well since its not much more than the sager I was looking at.

I did find these.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    $1200

IdeaPad Y460p Laptop - 43952BU

Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6550M 1GB
    8 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
    14.0" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?vt=5&GroupID=243&Code=43952BU&hide_menu_area=true&current-category-id=653343E0DE54435882FABC3CE1BC569A

Good: Sub 15" & I7
    Bad: Price and Graphics.. "decent"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

$1270

VPCSB190X CTO

Intel® Core™ i7-2620M processor (2.70GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.40GHz
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Black
    13.3" VAIO Display with LED backlight (1366 x 768)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M (1GB VRAM) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
    320GB Hard Disk Drive (5400rpm)
    4GB (4GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
    CD/DVD Player / Burner

Good: Sub 14"!.
    Bad: Price for this I7 is only dual. Graphics decent.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921666304162&categoryId=8198552921644768017

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

$950

IdeaPad Y460p Laptop - 439523U

Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6550M 1GB
    6 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
    14.0" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?vt=5&GroupID=243&Code=439523U&hide_menu_area=true&current-category-id=653343E0DE54435882FABC3CE1BC569A

Good: Sub 15"
    Bad: Price and Graphics.. "decent" Just a I5.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

$1100

VPCCA190X CTO

Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor (2.30GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.90GHz
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Bolt Black
    14" VAIO Display with LED backlight (1600 x 900)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M (1GB VRAM) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
    320GB Hard Disk Drive (5400rpm)
    4GB (2GBx2) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
    CD/DVD Player / Burner
    High capacity battery

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921666302244&categoryId=8198552921644784024

Pro: Sub 15", and NICE Resolution (where else you gonna get a 1600X900 in 14" let alone 15"?).
    Con: Only I5 and 4 gig. Graphics "ok".
    :::::::::::

To Reiterate Goals:

-Temp Main System. Will be plugged into external monitor
    -Then mobile system. On the go. I run, bike, and bus. So need light as possible. hence smaller, the better.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz wrote: »
    I think the M11x would be too small of a screen to do anything on, and the video card on the Asus is pretty weak.

Oh Ps. The M11X has the same resolution as most 14". So it would be small, yes, but it would be a higher ppi than most. Just means Id have to have it closer to my face, with which that size would make easier.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd get this:
    http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m4500/pd

but then I have its bigger brother, which kicks arse :D

Unfortunately its 15.6" so not ideally what you want lol
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All i can say on the matter is that ive got a MSI GT740, which on paper fulfills your requirements, however since having it last june, its been RMA'ed 3 times, and its been unusuable (in transit/being repaired) for 3 months of that time.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd get this:
    http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m4500/pd

but then I have its bigger brother, which kicks arse :D

Unfortunately its 15.6" so not ideally what you want lol

Why would I need a quadro? Most game artists don't need it. As it is, the performance of the quadro is below most of the gpus I mention.

Scott, thats a 17" laptop. Even more out of the size I would want. However, it is surprising to hear that about MSI since they supposedly have a good rep.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you actually going to do with this laptop?

To me, I would rather have a cheap, light netbook with awesome battery life, that I would actually take with me somewhere instead of trying to find a beefcake heavy laptop with poor battery life and fool myself into thinking i'm going to do any real work/gaming on it. Thats what a PC is for =P. Laptops are generally terrible and uncomfortable to use, so to me atleast, its always more of a pipe dream than a reality to get a "nice" one.

I got a netbook for $265, its awesome as hell and I can actually take it with me when I leave, without worrying about taking the charger with(6-8 hour life), unlike a laptop with a large screen and real video card, most of which have 2 hours or less battery life, I mean, you take that on a long flight and its practically worthless, battery wont last long enough to even watch a single movie.

Its important to note that rated battery life for laptops is for like, basic web browsing. You start doing anything GPU intensive and the battery life will drop drastically.

Buy a real PC for power, and a netbook for travel. Both will be significantly better for their stated purpose than an in-between laptop. And you will likely not pay much extra for the two combined.
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spicypixel polycounter lvl 6
    It's true, I'm with Earthquake on this, and the HP fusion one has enough gpu grunt to load up max/maya too. Obviously not something you would wanna spend forever on but at less than 13" it's a pretty good on the go machine.
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/dm1z_series/3/computer_store
    It's 11.6inch TFT but 720p res screen, you can get alternative brands fusion netbooks with 13" 1368x768 screens instead though. Having played around with one it seemed snappy enough in the viewport, but the CPU is not render friendly. But for using a realtime shader in the viewport and game art it seemed fine.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do agree with EQ about getting a nice light netbook as they are easy to carry around have awesome battery life....
    however I do have the aforementioned beefcake laptop - I do a lot of commuting and have to stay away from my main PC an awful lot, I do in fact use it all of the time to do my modelling on both at my friend's houses and even at uni, where the computers on the whole do not have much RAM and I can't even load up my project with out crashing their copies of Max :p
    Admittedly, this is because I changed the size of my virtual memory to something the uni computers cant get near :/
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and, before you say you're looking for a "small" laptop, remember than any standard latop, even 15 inches, is going to be like twice as big as 3 times as heavy as a netbook. I have a 15" HP tablet laptop, and really, its 2x as big, and when you throw in the charger(which must be taken anywhere due to poor bat life) its atleast 3x as heavy.

My 15" laptop lives on the couch plugged into the charger, as its useless to actually take anywhere.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    What are you actually going to do with this laptop?

To me, I would rather have a cheap, light netbook with awesome battery life, that I would actually take with me somewhere instead of trying to find a beefcake heavy laptop with poor battery life and fool myself into thinking i'm going to do any real work/gaming on it. Thats what a PC is for =P. Laptops are generally terrible and uncomfortable to use, so to me atleast, its always more of a pipe dream than a reality to get a "nice" one.

I got a netbook for $265, its awesome as hell and I can actually take it with me when I leave, without worrying about taking the charger with(6-8 hour life), unlike a laptop with a large screen and real video card, most of which have 2 hours or less battery life, I mean, you take that on a long flight and its practically worthless, battery wont last long enough to even watch a single movie.

Its important to note that rated battery life for laptops is for like, basic web browsing. You start doing anything GPU intensive and the battery life will drop drastically.

Buy a real PC for power, and a netbook for travel. Both will be significantly better for their stated purpose than an in-between laptop. And you will likely not pay much extra for the two combined.

Just got done chatting with Lenova. They didnt have anything currently that fit my needs, but mentioned in the next few days to watch their site as the had something coming out that would fit my needs.

Earthquake, Dude. A netbook? Atom GPU? Can you do anything on that other than surf the web? Hell, I know a guy that had three of them and NONE of them could play HD video decently.*

Having something to travel that can't do anything is worthless to me. If one wants to browse the web, thats what smartphones are for (if I had one).

So I have to take the middle ground. I need something I can use for now as main system then redelegate to secondary on the go/work/coffee shop/in bed and want to watch movie, and LAN party system.

I looked at netbooks early one. Even with the Nvidia Ion 2 on the newer ones, they just aren't capable.

(If I had a perfect world the Asus Tablet would have had a dedicated graphics card and not BSOD nor having to use custom tablet drivers to work with Photoshop. That would have been great).

*He did manage to do a hackintosh install of Mac OS on one. That was pretty cool.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think installing the HP slate wacom drivers fixed those errors, didnt it? I know its not ideal, but wouldn't take too long...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A netbook for... realistically doing the things you'd actually want to do on the go?? Shocking, yes I know it may sound crazy.

Honestly, you're gonna whip open mudbox on the bus and get some serious work done?

Really, if you to waste your money on a computer you'll use for a very short time in between having a real computer, go for it. Its your money.
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bobcat CPU combined with a low end Radeon on die isn't in the same league as the Atom/Intel GMA. For a start it has the full features of a dx11 cpu albeit slower with solid drivers compared to intel. The 1.6ghz AMD CPU also stretches its legs over the Atom in 3d work also. It's not going to be super quick but 11inches of power for ultra mobile.
    It's a shame I don't have access to it any more as I sold it on to a friend but it was twice as fast in general experience and in heavily demanding stuff didn't freeze up - just took longer.

But I can't iterate enough how much better the Radeon fusion part was, not having the worst 3d drivers in the world helped considerably to the point where doing low poly modelling/texturing was fine.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A netbook for... realistically doing the things you'd actually want to do on the go?? Shocking, yes I know it may sound crazy.

Honestly, you're gonna whip open mudbox on the bus and get some serious work done?

Really, if you to waste your money on a computer you'll use for a very short time in between having a real computer, go for it. Its your money.

EQ you brought this up originally, and get frustrated with my reply?? Where in return I'm trying to understand your reasoning. Why did you buy a netbook versus a smartphone? If the netbook cant do much more than browse. Do you hook into your home network to grab files and remote desktop like Ashvelon (which he does on his ipad)?

Either case, I have a 6 year old computer I no longer do 3d at home on since its such a dog. Can barely play games and would suddenly drop to 2-3 frames a second for a minute in a middle of a battle. Have to share it with a roommate who cant afford his own system. While the desktop (Hammer) I want and have been waiting for patiently until now isn't expected until the end of June for release let alone market availability.

Who said serious work on the bus? The shocks on these buses here suck. I have enough trouble tying to do doodles on them in sketchbooks without getting headaches or looking like someone with a nervous disorder drew them.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Gotta agree w/EQ on this one through and through.

TBH, the best laptop you can get is the moleskin/staedtler variety.

just my 2cents.
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Who said serious work on the bus? The shocks on these buses here suck. I have enough trouble tying to do doodles on them in sketchbooks without getting headaches or looking like someone with a nervous disorder drew them.
    That's a fine point, in which case your original plan of a 14"ish size laptop is cool. Just remember to format and fresh install the old pc before letting go of it :D
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a netbook and a smart phone, any extended web browsing is much better suited to the netbook. Anything like a long trip where I want PC access, a netbook is perfect.

Basically what you're saying is you need a fast computer, it has to be a laptop for portability, but you're not actually going to do anything that benefits from having a fast computer on the go, so a "good" laptop is pointless.

Now, you can build a super awesome great fantastic PC for the cost of the "good" laptop, which makes things even more confusing. Really, you have a 6 year old PC, but you're "waiting" for a certain cpu or something? C'mon man.

Get an I7 system and call it a day, what is so great about the hammer thing? It will be marginally cheaper with the same performance than an I7 system or something? But, you're willing to buy two PCs instead of one to wait for this....
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spicypixel wrote: »
    The bobcat CPU combined with a low end Radeon on die isn't in the same league as the Atom/Intel GMA. For a start it has the full features of a dx11 cpu albeit slower with solid drivers compared to intel. The 1.6ghz AMD CPU also stretches its legs over the Atom in 3d work also. It's not going to be super quick but 11inches of power for ultra mobile.
    It's a shame I don't have access to it any more as I sold it on to a friend but it was twice as fast in general experience and in heavily demanding stuff didn't freeze up - just took longer.

But I can't iterate enough how much better the Radeon fusion part was, not having the worst 3d drivers in the world helped considerably to the point where doing low poly modelling/texturing was fine.

Notebook check benchmarks: The HD 6310 is next faster than the Ion2. However they are a consecutive 207 & 208. Which for a netbook is good, and the AMD netbook processor is better than the Atom.

Why did you sell it?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a netbook and a smart phone, any extended web browsing is much better suited to the netbook. Anything like a long trip where I want PC access, a netbook is perfect.

Basically what you're saying is you need a fast computer, it has to be a laptop for portability, but you're not actually going to do anything that benefits from having a fast computer on the go, so a "good" laptop is pointless.

Now, you can build a super awesome great fantastic PC for the cost of the "good" laptop, which makes things even more confusing. Really, you have a 6 year old PC, but you're "waiting" for a certain cpu or something? C'mon man.

How is not "Lan Parties/Work/and Coffee Shops". Places where I expect to do some 3d or game work pointless?

Is the webrowsing easier simply because the netbook is larger for you to see? Curious, what about like a android tablet as that would be the combination of both your items.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »
    Gotta agree w/EQ on this one through and through.

TBH, the best laptop you can get is the moleskin/staedtler variety.

just my 2cents.

Then I ask the same question to you. Why a netbook for you versus a smartphone or android tablet?
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't sell it, friend preordered one from HP and was on holiday when it arrived, he said I could play around with it for 2 weeks. Installed max2009 and Photoshop CS2 on it and plugged the HDMI into my 32" TV. Was extremely adhoc but was extremely pleasant due to the low heat and battery was pleasant. My experience of having a laptop that light and small was actually really good, fitted in my old satchel from uni for carrying A4 documents with space for the charger and other auxiliaries. The GPU isn't amazing, no denying it, it's however a solid driver compared to the GMA series and doesn't suffer from the hilarity of stuttering playing 720p video.
    For non 3d tasks like just having VLC playing a 1080p MKV on the TV it was fluid with no dropped frames.
    I will admit I wasn't doing heavy stuff such as mudbox or subd work in 3dsmax on it, more low poly modelling inspired by the sticky.
    Just to point out I had a 17" Acer at work last year with a nvidia dedicated card, believe it was a GTS250m and a low end i7 but the heat and noise even on a desk was unbearable. Then I dropped down to a 15.4" Toshiba with a 330m and that seemed fine.
    It really depends what you want to do on it, if you don't mind just using it for light modelling and texturing connected to an external monitor - it should suffice. My friend dropped his down to a pseudo-docked solution of when he's at home it just reads media of the SAN and plugs into the TV with XBMC installed. Works flawlessly as a media center.
    I liked it, i've used all kinds of form factor Laptops and lugging the 17" home each night was a crime in itself. The 15" was better but the 11" was no trouble what so ever, plus it's cheap enough that with the extra money you can throw a nice SSD into that bulldozer system in June.

Just my opinions.

edit, for lan parties it plays UT99/Q3 smooth as butter, what else could you need? :poly124:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is not "Lan Parties/Work/and Coffee Shops". Places where I expect to do some 3d or game work pointless?

Is the webrowsing easier simply because the netbook is larger for you to see? Curious, what about like a android tablet as that would be the combination of both your items.

Screen size, real keyboard, generally being more of a "real" computer. I've got a rather small HTC Aria, touchscreen keyboard is ass, but I can do some basic browsing on it. Browsing on a smartphone is ok, I mean I would rather be able to do it than not, but compared to a netbook it is painful.

I don't really see the point of tablets, they aren't much more portable than a netbook, but lack a proper keyboard.

Do you spend a lot of time doing work in coffee shops, or hanging out at lan parties? This is a serious question, because to me, whenever someone talks about this sort of thing its like "oh it would be cool if I could do X" but then in reality never do it.

Really the AMD netbook Spicy is describing seems ideal, able to do a bit of work if you really need to, but honestly portable, unlike most laptops. How is the battery life on that thing?
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got about 5-6 hours doing light modelling.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that sounds fan-fucking-tastic.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screen size, real keyboard, generally being more of a "real" computer. I've got a rather small HTC Aria, touchscreen keyboard is ass, but I can do some basic browsing on it. Browsing on a smartphone is ok, I mean I would rather be able to do it than not, but compared to a netbook it is painful.

I don't really see the point of tablets, they aren't much more portable than a netbook, but lack a proper keyboard.

Do you spend a lot of time doing work in coffee shops, or hanging out at lan parties? This is a serious question, because to me, whenever someone talks about this sort of thing its like "oh it would be cool if I could do X" but then in reality never do it.

Really the AMD netbook Spicy is describing seems ideal, able to do a bit of work if you really need to, but honestly portable, unlike most laptops.

Damn it! You saw right through me! Yea it was more "be cool idea". I have wanted to do lans, but since college never had any rides to get to ones to cart my stuff since I own no car.

So you fucker :D . I concede you may have a solid point. I will look at the AMD netbooks to see. Though I still need video out to use current monitor.

Spicy: How about L4d2?
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/lenovo-thinkpad-x120e-review/
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/sony-vaio-yb-now-shipping-amd-fusion-to-your-door-for-600/
    Two alternatives to the HP
    http://www.kitguru.net/laptops/zardon/hewlett-packard-pavilion-dm1z-fusion-ultraportable/15/
    Link to the L4D2 results, 30fps aint BAD I guess.
    Personally I'd use it to play UT04 and CoD2, real lan games etc :D

Edit, most of them have HDMI/VGA out, check per laptop though
    Edit2, http://www.kitguru.net/laptops/zardon/hewlett-packard-pavilion-dm1z-fusion-ultraportable/19/

This pretty much reflects what I experienced with the battery, I'd say a HD movie was more taxing than just max in wireframe mode for most of the time.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    This is a matter of tastes :). oXYnary you should buy what you like and what you need, end of discussion :P.

You see, I find netbooks as useless :S because i prefer a better computer and a bigger screen. Each person is a world :D.

Well, following the thread topic i would recommed something cheap with this:
    core i5-480m (dual core 2.66ghz + turboboost + HT)
    4gb ram
    Nvidia GeForce GT 540m <-- the GPU is quite important. they usually build dirt and cheap ati cards with very very poor perfomance.

The laptops with nivida 460m are very hot, and very very expensive. In a 15.6' laptop, with the 540m you have a great perfomace/price, and with an i5-480m it would be like to have a decent and small desktop computer you always can carry with ease.

For browsing the internet, in a smartphone you lose your eyes.

There are some builders like Packard Bell selling that combo with a 500gb HD and more things for less than 560 euros (PB may be a bad brand for laptops though). In dollars it should be a similar price, because in informatic, dollars=euros.

So, my recommendation is not to waste a lot :). With that kind of laptop you could play any game such as crysis 2 :P. We always can plug the laptop and we have a cool and small pc.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    This is a matter of tastes :). oXYnary you should buy what you like and what you need, end of discussion :P.

You see, I find netbooks as useless :S because i prefer a better computer and a bigger screen. Each person is a world :D.

Well, following the thread topic i would recommed something cheap with this:
    core i5-480m (dual core 2.66ghz + turboboost + HT)
    4gb ram
    Nvidia GeForce GT 540m <-- the GPU is quite important. they usually build dirt and cheap ati cards with very very poor perfomance.

The laptops with nivida 460m are very hot, and very very expensive. In a 15.6' laptop, with the 540m you have a great perfomace/price, and with an i5-480m it would be like to have a decent and small desktop computer you always can carry with ease.

For browsing the internet, in a smartphone you lose your eyes.

There are some builders like Packard Bell selling that combo with a 500gb HD and more things for less than 560 euros (PB may be a bad brand for laptops though). In dollars it should be a similar price, because in informatic, dollars=euros.

So, my recommendation is not to waste a lot :). With that kind of laptop you could play any game such as crysis 2 :P. We always can plug the laptop and we have a cool and small pc.

God damn it. I was just looking at netbooks after the responses and this one dm1z
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do#
    $479 with 4 gigs.

But yea you are right. I shouldn't spend too much. And I dont know if a netbook would be enough. Especially into a 1680X1050 monitor.

It sounds like to me your saying go for the Sager NP5160? Just with the default i5 versus the i7? Or am I misinterpreting? How would one cart something like that? 15.6.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would avoid custom built laptops. With laptops, the feel is so important, the quality of the screen etc. I wouldn't buy a netbook/laptop that I couldn't pick up and use before hand.

You could pay $1400 for a pimped out laptop only to realize the screen sucks or the keyboard is terrible.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    God damn it. I was just looking at netbooks after the responses and this one dm1z
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do#
    $479 with 4 gigs.

But yea you are right. I shouldn't spend too much. And I dont know if a netbook would be enough. Especially into a 1680X1050 monitor.

It sounds like to me your saying go for the Sager NP5160? Just with the default i5 versus the i7? Or am I misinterpreting? How would one cart something like that? 15.6.

Well, with that Sager NP5160 you have a new Quadcore of 2.0-2,9ghz with turbo, instead of a Dual core of 2,66ghz. It has a better cpu no doubt, more ram (the double) and the same graphic card, but of course... is more expensive.

In Dell you surely may find similar laptops and at least i can tell you their warranty and support is great (i have had 2 DELL workstations). You may end paying a bit more though. The XPS 15 and XPS 17 are very well known, and you can find models with better nvidia graphic cards such as the 555m for the same range of price. Here in Spain we have very good deals with the 17" models, all people are looking after portability and 15" is the king.

At the end, all depends of the use, so if you need a laptop for "x" thing, don't buy a laptop for "x²" :)

Are you going to use Zbrush with a laptop? i highly doubt it unless if you connect it to a cintiq or intuos :P. Something good and cheap would be less ram, and less cpu, but if you want something good for gaming, a nvidia 540m is excellent.

If you can try the product personally, the better. In stores like Mediamarkt, we can use and try the laptops and look their quality.

A good screen and a good keyboard are very important aswell.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is I did want to use this for 3d like Zbrush. Since this would have been the temp system for now until got new one. So thats whats holding me back on the ATI netbook. Other than the processor I have now not having sse2, so I cant use Zbrush 4 (or more modern programs/games for that matter), but Im sure otherwise it still would be faster than the netbook. Athlon XP 3200 (2.2ghz).

A smaller Wacom isn't hard to cart. I do it all the time between work and home running with a backpack.

Dells are overpriced, and I only have the Alienware listed because its such a unique placement. An almost netbook thats pretty modern. Its just hard to swallow the price. $1000 for a I7 dual core, slower 8gig mem, and an "ok" graphics card The Dells are not the same price range as the sager. Not even close.

I guess in the perfect world combining yours and EQ advice it would be the Alienware... If it was priced better.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Hp notebook with the E350 is faster than your 3200+(Not saying much!!) I'm actually using my old 3200+ system as an htpc, and looking to replace it as it can't handle hulu past 480P or so. Thinking about a I3 2100, which I can get cpu/mobo/ram for about $235 wooo.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+E-350

Really, what I would do is just try to decide, do you want a beefy laptop as a PC replacement that in all likely hood you will not take out of the house often(possibly ever), or do you really want a compact, portable system that you really will feel inclined to take with you? Chances are if you've lived with that 3200 system this long, you can wait a little longer to properly replace it.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    If you wanted to use the laptop with Zbrush, 8gb ram are perfect. The Sager looks pretty damn good man, but it's more expensive than a laptop with a good dual core, 4gb, and a nvidia 540m. And if you are planning on buying a good desktop later, it may be wasted money.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah honestly, if you're going to build a real nice PC soonish, buying a laptop that can handle high end 3d stuff is just a bit silly, as once you have your new pc, you'll likely never use the laptop's expensive features you paid dearly to get. Again, another vote for netbook/cheap laptop there. =P
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck it. I will get the netbook, but buy an ssd.

EDIT
    Fuck what I just said. If this is gonna last me 6 months. Will it work for a desktop? Including Deus Ex3? I have to go to work on my days off now to play any of my more modern games.
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bulldozer is slated for a June release, assuming you buy on launch its more like 3 months.
    It's a real shame external GPUs didnt take off, this is exactly the kinda time where an external GTS450 or something would have been handy for docked desktop work.
    I am amazed how much higher the 1.6ghz bobcat is over the 3200XP. That's actually amazing. I figured they were on par.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok what about this. Dell JUST updated the mx11.

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    Intel® Core™ i5 2537M 1.4GHz(2.3GHz w/Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache) with 1GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M
    4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
    320GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
    Internal High-Definition Surround Sound Audio (5.1)
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000 a/g/n 1x2
    1 Year Basic Plan

$999

The newer ones can also take up to 16gb of memory. I can get a 2gb 540m, but unsure worth it as that would help with super only high resolutions of external monitors. Unless modern games are uploading over a gig of textures these days?

Instead, I just wait a year and use this. In meantime bulldozer become more available and revised, next year this time?
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds reasonable, but the refresh of bulldozer is 2 years after release afaik.
    I don't think it'll be too different, just more cores.
    For all we know AMD will be broke by then. But that laptop looks solid spec wise, but it's damned ugly. If you can live with how it looks it's definitely the nicest internals.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Im stuck in a loop.

Dell has a deal till friday that works on the new m11x for 350 off if over 1449.

So with that I could get

System Color Nebula Red with Soft Touch Finish
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    Processor & Graphics Card Intel® Core™ i7 2617M 1.5GHz(2.6GHz w/Turbo Boost, 4MB Cache) with 2GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M
    Display Panel 11.6" High Def (720p/1366x768) with WLED backlight
    Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
    Sound Soundblaster® X-Fi™ Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled
    Wireless Intel® Centrino® Advanced–N + WiMAX 6250 a/g/n 2x2
    Alienware Orion M11x Neoprene Sleeve

For $1,241.59 shipped with tax.

But really. EQ is a good reality check. Do I need it? Can I get away with 4 months on just an ATI netbook?

I mean you have to admit the $350 off is a good deal (thats only through friday). But then...

How is working on models or photoshop in 1366x768? Do people use macbook airs to do PS work? (same size/rez). I mean a netbook would be less headache to worry about since it wouldnt have so much high end internals to go wrong. I wouldnt feel so spooked out putting in my backpack to jog to work and tripping and falling (which I have done).

But then I fall back on. Can I really work in 3D Max with a netbook for 4 months? Can I still play Deus Ex 3 at decent settings at 720?? I still haven't played Portal 2 even though I preordered it as Source finally went SSE2 only for cpus.

I hate buying expensive things. I always get in feedback loops like this. The poitn is and remains. I'm tired of waiting and I cant do shit at home. While I have wanted a laptop or netbook of some type as sometimes I would like to chill in bed versus going to my home "office".

EQ can you slap me around some?
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't you say you're using an external monitor? so in reality it's doing 3d on 1680x1050+ I'd assume.
    I fell down the stairs with my first laptop, made me a very sad panda indeed...
    I like the m11x lots apart from the fact it looks like it'd be rejected from Tron.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't you say you're using an external monitor? so in reality it's doing 3d on 1680x1050+ I'd assume.
    I fell down the stairs with my first laptop, made me a very sad panda indeed...
    I like the m11x lots apart from the fact it looks like it'd be rejected from Tron.

Yea. Thats why I dont know if the netbook could cut it.

Here is something I drew up though. For $650 for a Asus AMD Netbook. 8 Gig Upgrade, 40gig ssd, and a USB 3.0 (Since Asus supports) caddy for the original hardrive.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=11497509
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll struggle to install Win7 and the associated programs on 40gb.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Im stuck in a loop.
    But really. EQ is a good reality check. Do I need it? Can I get away with 4 months on just an ATI netbook?

EQ can you slap me around some?

Well, that price seems really excessive for a laptop, if it was going to really be your main computer it wouldn't be a problem, however the fact that you're planing on building a good PC within 6 months makes me think that is just wayyyy to expensive.

Can you last with the netbook? It will be a little faster than your current system, but I dont know.

Do you need to do professional work on it? Or are you just playing around with personal art? If you need to do paid work, I would say no, if you're not doing anything that has specific restraints or time requirements, I think you would be fine.

I doubt that laptop will play recent games at a high level. But I mean, its just a few months right? Its not the end of the world, if you can save $1000 and wait a little to play some games, isnt that worth it? It would be to me, but I never really "buy X computer to play X game".

However even if you decide the netbook isn't going to cut it, and you want a stop-gap laptop, you should probably be looking in the $6-800 range, not $1400(this is just insane for a laptop). I mean you're planing on building a workstation that will last you what, 3-5 years? You dont also need a laptop with similar specs.

[Edit] Yeah just looking over your system specs again, that is NUTS for a laptop. Man that system is way faster than my current workstation, which I use to do high-end game assets and play current games(like portal 2 at 1920x1200 max settings, buttery smooth). I think you're sort of over-thinking how fast you really need to go. I mean 2gb video card? There is absolutely no reason for that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah, however an easy option would be to replace it with one of those HDD/SSD hybrid drives, which I think are quite reasonably priced, and are supposed to be great for laptops.

Also, you're linking to your (private) wishlist.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me, the issue with laptops has always been upgradability and thus longevity. When you drop $1000 on a desktop, you know that down the line little $100-200 upgrades will extend the life of the machine. Likewise, parts that don't need replacing can get reused or resold. You can easily reuse parts in new builds if they don't need replacing. With a laptop, it is what it is. If something breaks, or when it falls behind the times (which certainly happens quicker with laptops), it's an expensive paperweight. The tech may be there, but the value isn't.

The other issue is that of desktop replacement. Everybody has their own workflow and preferences, but I can't imagine moving from two 24" IPS screens to a 14-15" 1300x700 screen. Sure, you can work on it, but it's a bit like trying to write a dissertation on a blackberry. The only market I really see for expensive laptops are for guys that are constantly on the go that make money off having it, like an international salesmen or something like that. If you're only going to have one computer, you might as well get the best you can. For me, they're really just expensive toys, and I can't justify the cost of an overpriced one vs just upgrading my desktop.

I've got a 15" Gateway. It's a bit of a junker that I paid $400 for, but it works for what I need it for. I can do work on it (spreadsheets/databases) and sit on the porch with my coffee and check my mail. I'd be fine with a netbook if it wasn't for the database thing. I really can't imagine doing any 3D stuff on it.
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depreciation is a major issue with laptops, as with all tech, but mainly laptops. The lower you go the less it depreciates.
    Irrelevant if you never intend to sell but something to consider.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Nah, because you then have the original drive as an external for other "secondary" programs. I did it for my parents. But now with the added bonus of 3.0 USB, your going near the same speed it would have been installed as SATA internally.

$0 gigs is enough for PS, Zbrush, Win7, Max. If done smartly.

Anyhow I hate how the wishlist system works on newegg. Here is the REAL page.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11497509

EDIT: I will be using the system for work EQ. But what I'm creating now isn't AAA stuff fwiw. Though i do have a tendency to make overly high res masters for the normal map baking.

Anyhow, this would seem to be best compromise. But A: The A8-3510MX just released to manufacturers and not available yet. B: Its thermal properties are more than twice the current Fusion. C: Not sure I would see anything under 14" for a system/netbook like.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPi4GPEI74[/ame]
  • bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a Sony Vaio Z and I love it. I7 Core (not quad), an nVidia 330M w/ 1 GB RAM (DX10, no DX11), 8 GB of RAM and dual SSD's in a RAID 0 Array. It's only a 13" screen but has a 1600 x 900 resolution and the whole thing weighs 3 lbs. It's awesome and I can do just about anything on it (including modeling for hours, running my CAD stuff like Solidworks and such, gaming, etc.). I don't go anywhere without my laptop and love being able to do whatever it is I need to do reagardless of whether I am at school, home, or whatnot. Best purchase I ever made.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Otay, What about these? Faster than a netbook, still small, cheap?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-U31JG-XA1-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B004LRO7QQ?SubscriptionId=AKIAJIONUNVYYXVAZ5WA&tag=13inch-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004LRO7QQ[/ame]

$700

Intel Core i3-380M Processor 2.53GHz; 4GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM (2x2GB, 2 slots)
    NV 415M 1G DDR3 + Intel GMA HD (Optimus Technology); 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM); No optical drive
    13.3" HD LED Display; 3 USB 2.0 Ports; 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS); HDMI and VGA Port; 802.11 b/g/n; Bluetooth 2.0
    Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System (64 bit) ;up to 9 hours of battery life

Pro: Small and modern graphics
    Con: $200 more than the below. Still an i3.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

$480

ASUS UL80 Series UL80J-BBK5 NoteBook Intel Core i3 330UM(1.20GHz) 14" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 310M

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220893

Pro: Super Cheap
    Con: 14" with low resolution. i3 at that only 1.2. Could I even render AO's at enough speed?