Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Peter Zaccagnino - Prop/Weapon Artist

http://www.krop.com/zealotlee/

I finally managed to get around to make a portfolio for my 3D work! I mostly put up only finished products with the exception of the Rail Cannon. I'm working on that at the moment and once it's done I plan to put up a finished version. I know the site itself is just one of those easy ones that might not "stand out" to certain employers but I feel the work is more important.

So what do you guys think? Comments/critiques? BTW that SVD is one of my older models so texture-wise it might not look as good as some of the others. I still think it's good enough to include though.

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    it seems that your weapons are missing specularity, and in some cases normal maps. they kind of remind me of the older weapons from games like Day of Defeat. not to say thats bad, but i am not sure what u were going for with it.
  • Zealotlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of the weapons have normal and specular maps. I was using the 3PointShader and getting screengrabs from Max for the renders. Is the specular not defined enough to the point that they feel flat?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it seems so. maybe you could also try putting in some cubemaps. my first go with the realtime shader didnt go too well, but i watched laurens corijn's video on using his shader (which i think is pretty similar to 3point), and it helped a lot for presentation. it may be worth taking a look at

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/create-beautiful-realtime-renders-using-the-xoliul-viewport-shader-in-3ds-max/
  • Zealotlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at that. I was just messing with the shader and using very basic settings so this should help a lot.

Edit: Hey I just noticed you're local! (As in Broward area). What's there for any 3D artists around here to do?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well there are a few companies you could check into.

Shadows In Darkness (coral springs)
    Virtual Prophecy (coral springs)
    Nuclei 3d (miami)

along with some other starting up companies in miami. most of the work i see coming through the ft lauderdale area is all architectural stuff, not bad.. it pays. :D

also there is an event going on in Orlando this weekend. EvolveCg www.evolvecg.net
    ive gone to the past 2 conferences, they can be of some interest if u havent been to any GDC or siggraph or anything like that.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The display is too dark to really see texture details properly. It doesn't seem to be the material, it's the lighting.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Also, you say weapon/prop artist, but there are no examples of props?
  • Zealotlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well technically weapons ARE props. I do plan to add some non-weapon props to my portfolio. Should I include some organic stuff in there as well as hard surface stuff? I'm better at hard surface stuff IMO.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Well props are guns... but by doing only guns and calling yourself a prop artist I don't think would be correct because it is not what people see you as. You are becoming really "specialized" and pigeon-holing yourself. People are going to think... oh... well... this guy ONLY likes to make guns. We don't need guns so we don't need him.

As for the whole organic thing... you don't need to build organic stuff like characters, but you could do organic hard surface. An example of something that is organic and hard surface would be a car. Not saying to go out and build a car... that is just an example.

Maybe build some stuff that is more unique that still shows your skills. Everyone does guns >.>

It would make you stand out a little bit.
  • percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff. I'd drop the 3dsmax viewport and go with Marmoset toolbag for showing your models. With its HDR environment lighting/reflections, it really helps show off the specular/normal maps. Thats not to say you cant get good specular showing in the 3dsmax viewport, but it requires some actual well placed lights in the scene.
  • Zealotlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @percy: I was thinking about the Marmoset toolbag, but it's only free for 30 days and I'm in a tight financial spot right now just to spend $50 on something to render with. Nevertheless I think I should give the trial version a shot and buy it when I'm able to.

@jeremiah: Thanks for the input. I figured the same that only by doing guns it would limit my range in who I could apply to etc. After I finish my Rail Cannon I want to stop doing guns for a little bit and try making some other stuff. I'll come up with some unique props to round out my folio.
  • percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zealotlee wrote: »
    @percy: I was thinking about the Marmoset toolbag, but it's only free for 30 days and I'm in a tight financial spot right now just to spend $50 on something to render with. Nevertheless I think I should give the trial version a shot and buy it when I'm able to.

@jeremiah: Thanks for the input. I figured the same that only by doing guns it would limit my range in who I could apply to etc. After I finish my Rail Cannon I want to stop doing guns for a little bit and try making some other stuff. I'll come up with some unique props to round out my folio.

Understood. See my post in your rail cannon thread about setting up lighting for the 3point shader.