Home General Discussion

My very first art test completed!!!...now I wait :(

So I completed my very first art test for a job/career! I'm really excited about this company and I know I did a damn good job, I just hate waitinggggg. I would love to post the art test and show it off but I'm under an NDA so I think it's best not to do that ;). I've wanted a job in the industry since I was 13, and i turn 24 this friday. The fact that I've made it this far with a company is a proud moment for me, I just wish I knew how many people I was going up against and when I will find out if I get it or not, baaah

I have 2 other companies that implied they would like to hire me in a few months, but there is no guarantee. I just cannot wait to stop working for pizza hut for $4.25 an hour and get a REAL career doing something I'm super passionate about. All I want to do is make art! :D

wish me luck <3

Replies

• LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I definitely know how you feel about working the job trying for a career. At least it'll make you appreciate it that much more.

Good luck with the test
  • makecg
    I don't know man those pizzas can't deliver themselves...

good luck though.
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    He-he:) great feeling. cherish it mate.
    When you'll be pumpin' games of the year it won't feel half as good.)
    Best of luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. And be sure to tell us how this truns out!

cheers:)
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    good luck! and yeah, the waiting ain't fun
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Good luck, hope you have more than I do ;). About 6 art tests in and no job so far :D. First one's the most nerve wracking, just take a deep breath and know if things don't work out it's not the end of the world.

Oh and don't get complacent! Keep applying, you'd be surprised how much perseverance pays off. You may hear from a company 5 months after you applied. Just keep throwing out applications.

Edit: I should note i've more or less stopped applying elsewhere as i'm taking a gamble on a small indie team.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Oh god the waiting to hear back after and art test. Longest wait ever, even if they call you right back.

Good luck! :)
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The day I was supposed to hear back from Volition to see if they were going to make me an offer, they got hit by a virus and it took down the studio for a day.

I didn't know this. It was a friday.

Worst weekend ever. Driving out on my 24th birthday to find an apartment out here a week before I started was pretty awesome, though.

Good luck!
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    KEEP APPLYING!

I'm sure you know already, but you can't bank on a swift reply from alot of places, so keep moving and shooting! :P
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Fingers crossed for you dude!
  • Mio
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    Fingers crossed and good luck man
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Good luck man, I'm rooting for you :)!
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, art tests can be fun and stressful, but the worse is the wait afterwards. Good luck to you.
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Good luck man. :)
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Good luck mate. Some unrequested advice tho... don't put all your eggs in one basket! Even if you really did do a good job, you should prbly still be looking around. Specially since this is a really competitive market. There have been times when i totally thought i had the job, flew out and interviewed and went awesome. To have them tell me someone with 20 years more of exp applied and they will go with him/her hahaha

So the best of luck really! but keep on applying and working towards other options! :)
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, the wait is the worst part. I did an art test once and then heard nothing. Not a confirmation, not a peep, nada. So I found a job somewhere else and moved across the country. About 9 months after I sent in the art test I got a phone call from the art director asking if I was interested in a position on the team. And this is from a large well known studio. Go figure!

Be patient, and keep that resume flowing!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The waiting is hard, if you don't hear anything back by 2 weeks send them a follow up email. Don't worry, they won't be put off by the fact that you are really interested in working for them ;)
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I hope you end up with the job in your hands :) If waiting is too difficult, then maybe get into the BRAWL?
  • [SF]Three9
    haha thanks guys, appreciate it :).

To everyone saying I should keep applying, no worries I'm always looking! last thing I want to do is expect I got the job. I know I'm a great artist, but there is a whole market of artists that are clearly better than me, so im just hoping none of those guys or gals applied :).

thanks for sharing the stories too btw, it's good to know I'm not the only one stressed with the wait haha.

I was thinking about getting into Brawl, but I have like 2 or 3 characters I *REALLY* need to finish; really good portfolio pieces and something keeps happening to keep me from finishing. Like it being the end of production for my major's senior film, and since my computer is so powerful, I was told we wouldn't make deadlines if they didn't use it for rendering, so I haven't even been able to do anything for 2 weeks :(...ANd my xbox broke D:...withdrawals :|
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Then it's time for cats?

hug.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    ANd my xbox broke D:...withdrawals :|
    Ya know, if you're the type of person to read meaning into events... I would say the universe is trying to tell ya something.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
  • [SF]Three9
    yay kitty kats! (though i do prefer puppies...specifically aussies! :) )

omgggg, so i got word back and was told it was a great submission! Now on to the interview process! :|...this job is mine!

thanks for all the support :D
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    happy time! congratulations, m8
    borat_happy_time_79770736.jpg
  • AtlusZMH
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    That's good news, but don't get too cocky! It could come back to bite you in the bum.
  • [SF]Three9
    Oh no trust me I'm not cocky haha...I'm very confident in my abilities as an artist and I know it showed in the test, but I most certainly do not believe I'm the only good artist that applied; and I have no idea how many others applied and even got tests. I think that's the scariest and most humbling part about this. I'm banking on my personality, my passion, and my desire. These guys want a great teammember that's a hard worker, and that has me written all over it. Just have to wait and see and hope I go the distance :)
  • Hamish Bode
    Good luck man! Hope you get it. I just got word back about an interview for myself and I'm nervous as heck! It's a phone interview though, don't think they'd fly me all the way from New Zealand.

At least I don't have to wear pants. Cool.
  • [SF]Three9
    mooooar waiting! lol

Just had a phone interview last week and I believe it went fantastic. I recently found out I'm being scheduled for another phone interview D:...I will endure this torture and land this career darn it! This company seems so amazing and I know that not only would I do a great job, but I'd absolutely love it!

I'm really a bit apprehensive to talk any specifics about anything that's going on, but I hear 2 interviews are normal, so I see this next one as a good thing. I don't know if asking what I should expect is appropriate or even decipherable with no knowledge of what's gone on, but any advice? Any insight as the reasoning for a second interview?

Don't get me wrong, I'm most certainly not complaining about it :D. Just, as I've learned how to better myself as an artist, I want to learn more about how our industry works and how these things play out. I've been so stressed about this because I really don't know how the process works and how long each step can take. I'm just so excited I've made it this far, I'm very proud that a company is this interested in me. Once again I don't want to say any specifics, but I know they loved my work and getting compliments about your work from a potential employer; it's humbling

and thanks again for all the kind words guys! Maybe I'll see some of you at Evolve CG this weekend if anyone is going :D
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    This is pretty normal, and it sounds like your putting on a good show :)

Second interview, if they haven't asked your salary expectations they will likely ask this now, be prepared as they say.
  • Mark Dygert
    Congrats! Sounds like its going great!
  • Arcanox
    Yea, do your research on salary expectations. Know the company a little bit, like it's past history.

The biggest thing you should know is your work. Be ready to give a coherent and honest account of what you did, including the art test. I should also mention the STAR system, which stands for: Situation-Task-Action-Result. It seems silly, but giving them a primer on the scenario behind your project, what had to be done, what you did to accomplish it, and the end result, is a great delivery method. It keeps you a bit more coherent, and on point.

Also come prepared with questions and try to get into any sort of avenue of conversation about technical stuff.

Other than that, try to relax. Good luck!
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats so far!!

And good luck with your interviews.
  • [SF]Three9
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    awesome. congrats and good luck. :D

can u say which company it is?
  • [SF]Three9
    :):):):):):):):)
    This is looking so good it's not even funny. I'm 98% sure I got my very first job in the industry. I can't even begin to express how happy I am. By the end of next week I'll know for sure. I was told to wait for an offer letter and the last step of the process is a test run of the first day on the job. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I'm finally living my dream, omgggg

Oniram, as soon as it's official I can disclose this info, I just want to wait for now :)
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    can u say if your doing character art like your porfolio?
    Very exciting thread :P
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Man, this is awesome :D
  • [SF]Three9
    I'm pretty sure I would be doing any and all art that's needed, whether it's prop, item, character or environment, as well as texturing, and possibly animation too (animation isn't what I excel in, but I'm good enough to have them tell me it's fantastic :) )
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    any chance we could see your portfolio?
    I'd love to see what worked for you and how it could apply to my work.
  • JustinPunio
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    any chance we could see your portfolio?
    I'd love to see what worked for you and how it could apply to my work.

posted a few posts above ^_^

Great thread to follow, good luck to you! If at all possible, later could you tell us more about the art test? Would be interesting to hear about, especially a character art test if it was?
  • [SF]Three9
    Sooo, finally have an update!

Looks like things have changed up a bit from my initial application and that's ok! It's now an internship with a possibility for transition to full-time after completion. I'm now an artist at a brand new company in Sanford, Florida called Sky Parlor Studios! Had my first day today and everyone in the building seems really awesome to work with. My career has begun! And a week after I finished my major no less! lol :D
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Congratulations! I'm glad it worked out for you.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Good to hear man, even if this doesn't work out in the end (which it seems there's a chance it will!) don't be afraid to keep sending out applications. Being on a current internship full time looks good on a resume.
  • jimmypopali
    Congratulations! All that stressing for nothing :P
  • XRevan23
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    congrats make polycount proud
  • [SF]Three9
    So I figured I'd do a little update on this :). I really, really appreciated all the feedback and support from everyone here at PC, it's really nice to have such support from people who actually know the stresses and how the process works.

Sky Parlor Studios has been AMAZING and is honestly too good to be true. I ended up getting a good friend of mine a job there as a concept artist, and both of us have been really impressing our boss :). I've been appointed as Art Lead and as you can tell, I've been there for the full 3 month duration! On Thursday it will have been exactly 3 months since I started, and I bring good news!

Our first game was completed and is released for both iPhone and Android! Carnival of Games started out as an Augmented Reality app but due to plugins not working to their full potential was switched to a 3D game 2 and a half weeks prior to completion. For what the game is and the deadlines we had for this project, I'm very proud of this simple app and personally think it's a good time waster :).

The internship wasn't your typical one; we didn't have an experienced professional to work under in each category. Leads were assigned for art and programming, and we all had to work together to research, do the pre-production work, and conquer our own difficulties with the software and other development from our own intelligence. Because of this, Carnival of Games was designed not to be a big blockbuster, but to test the quality and work ethic of the team and to see how we meshed together. Our Producer is a great guy and an amazing boss and his guidance was and still is key in our projects. He has a lot of crazy but awesome ideas, and I can't wait to see where he takes our studio. But anyway, about 95% of the 3D assets in the game were done by me, as well as about 15% of the texture work, and I did the simple animations like the stuffed animals dancing, rigged the milk power bar meter, and even rigged and hand animated the menu.

If I could do a little shameful promotion, If you have an Android or iOS device, please do a search for "Carnival of Games" in your respective market/app store and download the free version! You have nothing to lose! I would absolutely love to hear what artists think of the game and critique would be appreciated as well! There are tons of things I know we coulda shoulda woulda done, but we are saving those for our next project :). And heck, if you feel like supporting a brand new studio and kinda like Carnival of Games, buy the full version; it's only $0.99! I don't think the full version is released for iOS yet though, Apple's approval process is frustrating :|

We are now already well into the process of working on our next project, and I can't wait for release day; it's going to be awesome!

But anyway, as I said I've been an intern for the full 3 month duration as of this Thursday, and I'm proud to report I'm going to be brought on as actual employee :). ONTOP of that, I also just finished the very last class I needed for my degree, and I'll also be receiving a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Central Florida (The past 6 weeks has been a sleepless hell!). It's been a whirlwind of a week and an internship, and I hate the weekend. Why? Because I'm not allowed at work on the weekend! :)