Home Technical Talk

Vray Glass Issue (3ds Max)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
I am having a problem with my glass when rendering with Vray. I followed 4 different tutorials, but they all have the same outcome. I am not sure if its one of my settings or if Vray is going wonky on me. This is supposed to be glass on my motorcycle's windshield:

5579802785_b3f30651bb.jpg

It comes out all wierd. I tried to render this as a low poly and as a Turbosmoothed model and they both come out like this. Any idea's? I would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Your link is going to a "bandwidth exceeded" page. Try hosting the image from somewhere else.
  • Tom Ellis
    It looks like whatever is in your diffuse slot is tiling about 50 million times.

Can you give us a screenshot of your material settings?
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanEG wrote: »
    Your link is going to a "bandwidth exceeded" page. Try hosting the image from somewhere else.

Fixed: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5579802785_b3f30651bb.jpg

It looks like whatever is in your diffuse slot is tiling about 50 million times.

Can you give us a screenshot of your material settings?

5579837477_57f2908f02_b.jpg
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5139/5579837477_57f2908f02_b.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Assuming you're using a HDRI for lighting, how are you applying it?

In the Env slot on the globals, to geometry, or to a VRay Dome Light?

If it's to a dome light or to geometry, have you checked the tiling on those (not sure if you can alter that on dome lights, it may be taken from the material)?

Failing that, I'd just switch off each material property one at a time ie render with just diffuse, see if it's ok, then add reflection, then refraction. Then you should be able to isolate the issue.

Let us know how you get on.
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    I deleted everything in the scene apart of the glass I wanted. I deleted all the other materials to make sure it's not being caused by one of them. I then went ahead and made a box and put the glass mat on it. It does the same thing. I took off the environment map as well.

Yes, I am using HDRI, but I deleted the mat that had it, and its still doing the same thing.

These are the only settings I have atm:
    5579963383_d3d10b27f2_b.jpg
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5061/5579963383_d3d10b27f2_b.jpg

And this is what I have under the diffuse:

5579965369_8c134e4c5c_b.jpg
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5579965369_8c134e4c5c_b.jpg

I am new to Vray, So I don't really know what settings to play with, to get rid of this.

Edit: So I went ahead and opened a new max and made a quick glass using simple Vray settings, and it seems to render right. it must be something in my scene settings.

Found out: its under my settings. I think its fixed. testing it now.
  • Tom Ellis
    Yeah VRay can be overwhelming sometimes, I've been using it for about 5 years and I still probably only know 5% of its features.

The best way to get it to work how you want it to is to just be careful changing render/material/lighting parameters and render previews after almost every change. Rather than making loads of changes thinking you know it'll look 'better' then having to figure out which setting needs adjusting.
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea. It was the HDRI in the Evironment. I had to disable it. Seems to be the cause of my problem. :)
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    I seem to be coming across a different problem now.
    The render is looking good, but here is what is happening (I didn't leave it to finish rendering because it takes forever, but this gets the main idea across):
    5580214925_c9724966d3_b.jpg
    When i put the background, it makes it an environment map. Therefore, it causes the model to look like it is made out of glass. Kinda like partially invisible. The reason for this is because it is being projected off of the surface of the model, as it is an environment.
    When I press "8" and take the pic off as an environment, the background is black when I render.
    Any trick to getting the background to show up in a render without making it part of the environment? (I attempted to make a plane and UV the pic on there, but that just causes more problems. *Lighting is off/Windshield has problems rendering.. ect*)

Edit: I fixed it. Basicly I added a refraction/reflection color and it fixed the problem. :)