Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rens and Halo

Replies

• Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Rens wrote: »
    Those textures are half finished and look silly.

I will smack you. I SWEAR I WILL SMACK YOU.

Half finished... look silly...
    Honestly!! >: |

Hmmm oh yes and nice work :D Next project!! Go gogo!!
  • Rens
    Hmmm i guess ill post some maps before i get in trouble! ;)

Mind these are all hand painted, with the help of one metalsample i use for overlaying.
    As you can see, they are infact half done.

I tested things out a bit, and like Spark suggested build everything as one part, also for the uv's, but i did not like how the bakeing went for it. Got some nasty spots on the connections between parts. Therefor like in the bottom i got a small spacing between parts (its the arm down there)

Besides that i tried to let all 3 maps work together and form details that way. Not like textureing in real big scratches and going nuts with that, it is more subtile and tried to get it from the specular map. maybe a bit too much, and the pieces are not leveled out.

marinemaps.jpg

Everything took a bit longer cause i fixed alot of points and tested a bunch out.
    Glad i did, though now its time to get some speed going again.

*Skamberin, yeah that would do good, had in mind to add a bunch of mud splatters too.
    Ill keep that ready for next time :)

*ae, thanks a lot buddy, get that cart of yours rolling!

*Tdub, yeah i hear ya, i had some trouble deciding on that, maybe a bit darker and scratched edges would do good. I like how the middle gets a bit of attention by it, though it might be a bit too much.

*Zpanzer, fixed the marmoset render, still fooled aroudn with it a bit too see what variations were possible. Still looks funky :P

*Mezz, oh oooh! See! i posted them!
    Am i still in trouble? :D

Thanks for the kind replies :)

To the next project!
  • Bar
    The Soldier looks great. I'd love to see him in an action pose.
    What character will you be trying next?
    The Arbiter from Halo:Wars was bad ass...
    :)
    Looking forward to the next project!
  • Rens
    Thanks bar, i might try to do the arbiter with super sculpy when i find some more time :)

3d artist position.. hmmm.. anyway.

For now i try and pump out a high poly every two days or so :)
    Have a bunch of things to fix for tommorrow so i will update it in a bit.
    Handle, back part, ammo box, some on the legs, bla bla halo halo and some more.

Expect a bunch of things over the next weeks. Trying to polish some skills and maybe after that i should actualy get some sleep.

turret05.jpg

Little trick i like to use, make an instance of the part you work on before fitting it onto the main model. that way you can model clean without having to rotate your camera or move things more difficult :)

turret06.jpg
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    i got the bigggest nerd boner right now!
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    ... that instancing modeling is so straightforward and useful and yet it never popped in my mind. Thanks!

The triangular flash guard feels too angular/sharp to me. I think the inner curve should follow the shape of the barrels more, if you understand what I mean.
  • Bar
    Snader wrote: »
    ... that instancing modeling is so straightforward and useful and yet it never popped in my mind. Thanks!

The triangular flash guard feels too angular/sharp to me. I think the inner curve should follow the shape of the barrels more, if you understand what I mean.

Yeah, but remember that the actual part would be folded and welded sheet steel or aluminium. It wouldn't be cast. Also, it's there to absorb the flash heat and dissipate it too, so you don't want it tightly adhering to the contours of the barrels.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Great high-poly work. Thanks for posting the unsmoothed wires too. Really gave me some insight into how such simple shapes can give good results.

Also that instancing tip will come in handy when I start to focus on high-poly modeling more.
  • myles
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Fantastic highpoly work, where did you get the reference for these from? Or are you just using ingame screenshots to judge details from?
  • WillMac
    ae, mezz and rens... get a room. :poly121:

Rens.. this is amazing work, i love the turret. "the ren's instancing" technique will be famous...
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I don't actually mean getting rid of all the space between the triangle and the barrels, I mean making it so the distance between barrels and the guard is the same through the entire corner:

renstriangle.png
    1 base shape
    2 current
    3 proposed
  • Bar
    Snader wrote: »
    I don't actually mean getting rid of all the space between the triangle and the barrels, I mean making it so the distance between barrels and the guard is the same through the entire corner:

renstriangle.png
    1 base shape
    2 current
    3 proposed

My mistake.
    Please accept my most humble and sincere contrafibularities.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work, I am lovin that painting. The marines silhouette is bugging me tho, at a glance it leads me to believe his proportions are weird but looking closer its purely due to the bulky suit smoothing it over and the proportions are actually fine, maybe if you exaggerated the body's shape through the suits silhouette abit more it wouldn't insinuate weirdness from far away?
    Or ignore me I could just be odd lol.

Keep up the good stuff. :D
  • Rens
    ae ;)

snader, you're right, thanks for the example, fixed it :)

zipfinator, glad i could help, got a few tips and tricks i want to make some sheets for, so i can share a bit of my workflow, maybe it can help someone else out.
    regarding unwrapping objects real fast, and how to organise them so you can place them well on the texture.

myles, thanks! I mostly used a few ingame shots, the back of the halo3 artbook, and i added a bunch of things by feeling and looking up other parts. For intance, the tripod looked like it did not work well ingame, so i found a few camera tripods and improvised. Added some quickreleases i have on my bike too.

willmac, haha :P
    I like the sound of that, though i bet im not the first to figure this out.

mask, glad you like it,
    the marine indeed has some weird bulkyness going, I spend a while trying to figure out what was going wrong, and it does not seem like proportion mistake like you mentioned, the armor in combination just does not work. therefor i will be redoing it when my scenes are compleet.

alright so i had to grab a render from zbrush, max did not really like what i did to it. the grib is still kind of cheap, will replace that some other time.
    halo-turret-zbrush-rens.jpg
    halo-turret-rens.jpg

two other quick examples of using instance,
    besides being useful to model rotated parts else where with,
    creating a low poly around it and bake it ect, will be alot easier

i will replace these examples once i got some better examples/presentation going on.
    instancing.jpg
    instancing2.jpg
  • Mind Traveler
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind Traveler polycounter lvl 16
    Nice, you've got some strong stuff going here man. Keep up the great work, you are growing in your skills, fast, and its showing in ever new thing you are doing. Cheers. - ABT
  • [SF]Three9
    all this stuff is crap, you should find a new hobby D:

<3
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Rens and Halo... I don't get it.

Nice work broski. I'll expect some texures in the near future!
  • Bar
    brandoom wrote: »
    Rens and Halo... I don't get it.

Nice work broski. I'll expect some texures in the near future!

His name is Rens, and he is doing Halo subjects...
  • zxcman
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    Good job, man!
  • Rens
    That is great to hear Traveler!
    I'm glad it is showing, i find myself making tons of progress with every new thing i do, so we just keep on pushing it!

Thanks for the replies :)

Trying to work faster, get better results, practice, halo, and some more, then a coffee.

assaultrifle.jpg

halo-assaultrifle-turntable.gif
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    textures!! Stop teasing
  • Rens
    BOOM, winning.

Some things left for the normalmap, and i got lazy.. which shows.
    Should start saving more references and more importantly technical views.

shotgun.jpg

shotgun-turntable.gif

oh and tried this one, no textures yet :P

assaultrifle-zbrush.jpg
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    absolutely stunning!
    How did you render the assault rifle? :o
  • Rens
    Those screenshots are from zbrush, the file got too big to render propperly,
    and zbrush has a nice AO by default + lighting setting.
    Should see if i can lower some sublevels and still get a nice render going.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo.
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    If you don't finish these with full textures I'll hate you forever!!! JK!
  • [SF]Three9
    I'm a little confused why you sculpted the detail on the ammo counter? Don't get me wrong, it looks cool...I just feel like that shouldn't have been sculpted :x

/goes back to bowing down to you
  • ConorW
    This has officially become my favorite thread on Polycount. Keep them coming, each new one blows my MIND
  • Rens
    hahaha, good times.

marq, i will be starting low polys for these in a bit :)

SF, Nothing is sculpted, i just tried it for presentation.
    The only reason why that counter exists out of geometry is because if you leave it blank for texture work, It feels rather simple and changes the whole feel of the model. So it is an indication, a placeholder to make sure the overal idea gets translated.

Conorw, thanks a lot man <3

Jason? Time to grab a coffee and start something new. something.. halo.

I guess it is weird to use zbrush for this but it handles large files easely and i like realtime for some reason.
    Rendering is not really my thing.

shotgun-zbrush.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    holy balls good job
  • Rens

so i've been a zombie for a few days, just as grey and moving around like one, quite tired i guess.
    Had some nice sleep the other day so i finaly got around to doing some,

It is a .. concept sculpt. A warm up.
    Don't expect much of it, geographicly and detail wise non of it makes sense.
    The leaves look like spoons, the ferns are not placed right, the way things should grow, or how the stones fit into the sand .. tons of other crits. Fuck it.

treezbrush.jpg
  • polygunz
    Great to see a fellow Dutch guy kicking so much ass.
    I love the environment, the sci-fi assault rifle shouldn't be rendered in zbrush, looks kinda ugly, I would try this instead.
    If you run out of resources, decimate and reload into max.

http://eat3d.com/free/rendering_presentation
  • WillMac
    Yeah but rens, calm it down, it's getting a bit too good in here!... if Halo looked like this... I would play it. :)

Please... how do you do these turny things? Gif output?
  • martynball
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    :O These are amazing, I need to get some new halo concepts modelled sooon. How are you rendering you highpoly mesh's? They look awesome.
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Rens wrote: »
    I guess it is weird to use zbrush for this but it handles large files easely and i like realtime for some reason.
    Rendering is not really my thing.

@Marty: Zbrush.
  • Rens
    uhgg don't say that word polygunz! i cannot wait to move somewhere and forget about this place.
    I guess a good render would be nice, but it might be a form of preference. To be honost i do not give much of a damn about a slick render, it takes a lot of time testing and i just want it to be practical. Zbrush sure ain't giving the best results, but it is fast and realtime, so therefor it has my preference for now.
    I have not looked at any of those video tutorials though, looks cool and i will give it a shot, thanks!

Willmac, never good enough, ditch it and go.
    as for the turntable, i umm.
    -keyframe at 0 - 72, giving it a 360 degrees rotation, so when you move a key it is a nice 5%
    -print screen them into photoshop (bitch to get done)
    -in photoshop go to window > animation
    -set every layer to 2 or 3 frames
    -save for web > GIF, and see what settings you can use so the file size stays low.

You can use less keyframes, but the animation will be faster or more stagery when you change the timing. Just crop it and keep it simple.

Martyn, thanks man, they are done in zbrush cause im lazy :P
  • GodfishB16
    everything looks pretty dope man. My only crit would be the marines neck length. I think it could be a little longer. He looks a little turtle headed right now. Guns look dope though man as well as the grunt. Keep up the work!
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Zbrush renders actually look cool and are very different from what everyone else is doing <3
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    WillMac wrote: »
    Yeah but rens, calm it down, it's getting a bit too good in here!... if Halo looked like this... I would play it. :)

lol This!!

Yeah, it's all looking great! :) But would it KILL ya to be just a lil positive once in a while? Just a small bit??
  • sirhk
  • WillMac
    nooooo mezz and rens. dont call me that :P And what, i love rens output!

Am not really like this.. am getting shat on real life, forgive my temp angst. :D

I love Rens work totally. He is shit hot! I mean to say, "Rens, this is some of the best modelling i seen here in a while, so efficient and looks better than the game i played".

So am off to sit by a canal and draw, be positive yeah.

And Rens... thanks for the tip... i do appreciate it more than my "jaded" text may show.
  • HornyRhino
    OH MY HAIRY NUT SACK!! great stuff dude!! you making Halo game look bad hahaha
  • martynball
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    @Marty: Zbrush.

Okay thanks, they look awesome and bring out all of the detail. I must obtain this!
  • Rens
    godfish, the armor is kind of beefy, so the neck kind of vanishes into the armor.
    It is on the list of things to look into.

ae <3!

Mezzy!
    Well.. it just might! see me being negative is a form of pushing myself.
    Sure it is self destructive and it can be annoying to others, but because i tear it apart i know what to look for the next time i work on something. And say, you would like it and be happy, you might put less of an effort into pushing your skills. It atleast works for me, and makes me want to perform better.

sirhk! almost skipped out on you, seems your first post just got aproved :D
    Thank you sir!

Willmac, call you wot?
    No one was trying to give you a hard time buddy :)
    Thanks for the kind words though!

Hornyrhino, hahaha, well i don't know about the upcoming title, 343 seems to have put quite some team together! Just hope the engine gets a fix this time, else non of it really matters :P

marty, it is good fun, give it a shot.

soooo, yeah, i spend a few hours on this yesterday, wrapped it up now.
    wanted a little sculpting snack so a practice on a brute seemed fun.
    Should try out some armor, some more shaping, maybe create a nice turntable for it.

brute.jpg
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    You are going to be the sole reason that most of the polycount community dies from brain hemorrhaging .....or something, from not giving us what we want. We want more textures!!

Your stuff is fantastic man, you just need to finish up the first round of pieces before starting more. It's much better to have a couple finished pieces than 5-6 unfinished pieces.

plus i want to see the awesomeness finished! I'm a huge halo fan and am loving what you have so far.
  • Rens
    hahaha! :D
    no worries, i started on the shotgun. Other low polys will follow after that. It indeed is time to wrap some things up.

in the meantime, you can watch this one spin

brute-turntable.gif
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    WillMac wrote: »
    nooooo mezz and rens. dont call me that :P And what, i love rens output!

Am not really like this.. am getting shat on real life, forgive my temp angst. :D

I love Rens work totally. He is shit hot! I mean to say, "Rens, this is some of the best modelling i seen here in a while, so efficient and looks better than the game i played".

So am off to sit by a canal and draw, be positive yeah.

And Rens... thanks for the tip... i do appreciate it more than my "jaded" text may show.

Umm... I think you misunderstood me? I was agreeing with what you said about it looking nicer than Halo, but the second part was to Rens, not you. Sorry for the confusion.

And Rens, I understand your point about being negative now... but you're still insane. :P Anyway, your (gorilla) looks great, but you'd better give the people what they want, and soon, or else!! (read: Textures)
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    Rens, you are amazing good sir. Keep at it, but don't kill yourself!
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Textures! Textures! Textures! Textures!
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    This entire thread is fantastic. Love the work throughout, and look forward to seeing these things textured.