Home Technical Talk

Popping my Win7 cherry

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I also use Soluto on average once a week. The main reason why I use it over just going through msconfig is that I can see what cost in seconds each entry takes up. Was easily able to take off 30 seconds from boot to go. Statistic tracking from each boot and noting when programs were installed/uninstalled on the timeline is also good to know.
    I'd rather install 1 program that runs in the background if it helps me track and get rid of a dozen other startup/background tasks.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Yes i like soluto too, because of this :)
    But soluto is not your everyday tweaking program which messes up your registry and stuff.
    The statistics are really helpful too.
    But too be honest , when i got my ssd i really didn´t care anymore about booting time.
    The bios screen takes more time then the actuall boot into windows for me :)
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
    Well I dont use it for fps boost as such more like the amount of RAM it free up with a click of one button I get an extra 0.4gb of RAM available which is always welcome. You can do without but id rather not :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, what can i say, windows will free up this memory itself if needed, it just stores some information of programs which are used often and stuff to speed up it´s opening time.
    And if you wait long enough without doing something it will eventually eat it up again.
    It´s not my thing to convince people not using such stuff, believe that it makes your pc faster and more responsible, i couldn´t care less(sorry if this sounds rude, i don´t mean to)
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No its not rude.

Also while I think of it I also use a custom page file for when Photoshop wants to chew up more ram than I have. This guide mentions it among some other tweaks. http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That link is kinda funny just look at that, eventhough you seem to have read it you stick to your memory optimizer...
    http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/14.html
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL :poly136: Thats is funny even tho I didnt read the whole guide now that I have read it feel rather sheepish :P Thanks for pointing it out. Live and Learn!!!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately most people think like this:

Windows: What can i get to bloat myself up again?Let´s see i take this,this aaaaand this, i know i don´t need it but i do it because i can!

Tweaking program(in shining armor): WTF is wrong with you?!!!!You dont need all that stuff, let me help take it away!

Now the more realistic thing:

Windows: Let´s see how i can make my life a little bit easier by managing and loading stuff.

Tweaking program: You don´t need your internal organs and stuff do you? My user wants me to get rid of some stuff and see some nice shiny numbers of what i removed and how i made something.
    And i will scramble all your fine work and managing you worked so hard for.I know you have to do it again but it will look like i made free some memory in the moment the user takes a look at your taskmanager, hah!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    SpeCter wrote: »
    I didn´t mean that it happens automatically like with 2009+vista.I meant that you can enable that to have aero enabled all the time but disabled for 3dsmax.

Very cool! Gonna try it asap!!

Its funny because I have good viewport performance regardless of Aero or not, but still some menus feel glitchy to me under 7 (because of Aero, I suppose). Its funny - typically the kind of stuff that some users dont even notice, but it tends to drive me crazy :D

I wonder if CS3/4/5 still has problems when Aero is off ?

(Bottom line : OS makers should just stop fucking around with 3D desktop acceleration, seriously. )
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i didn´t express myself correctly there.
    I didn´t mean it like having aero enabled while using max.It´s only like the effect you got with 2009+vista, but forcefully activated.

Edit:
    I just tested it and it doesn´t work anymore, i don´t know why, i´m 100% certain that it has worked before, maybe it´s my visual style conflicting with it or something, but i know that it has worked before :(

Edit2:
    It works for everything except 3dsmax, i don´t get it anymore :(

Edit3:
    Now i know it... this doesn´t work for 64Bit Programs, just for 32Bit, what the heck...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I noticed that some games are faster with aero on - that is if you like playing games in windowed/windowed-fullscreen mode (the ADHD monkey inside me wants to alt-tab to Firefox but still see what's going on in the game ;) ).

Anyway, for easy switching btw aero and basic - google for Aerofoil (free).
    Also nice for notebook users - it turns aero off automatically when running on battery.
    pior wrote: »
    I wonder if CS3/4/5 still has problems when Aero is off ?

I had to turn aero off for some PS plugins on CS3 which annoyingly enough tried to reinvent the GUI :(

About Gamebooster: on my old craptastic Atom 1.4 GHz netbook there was a noticable speed increase in some games. Although be aware the it also turns off some important things (i.e. network sharing). For high powered workstations I'd say the speed gain is negligible. No need to risk that some stuff doesn't work right afterwards and that you have to enable it manually again. Not worth the hassle.

On a more personal note: what's the obession with boot time on a desktop machine - How often do you guys reboot your PC? I just start the thing in the morning while I make some coffee and it runs the whole day...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh well - at this point, max 2010 and 2011 still have crappy performance anyways, so it really doesnt matter...
    I keep hearing great things about the 2012 beta, and since it comes with an actual viewport rewrite I am sure it will be completely compliant with 7.

The frustrating part is that Aero really caused a whole mess all across the board (Photoshop, 3DSMax, and a few others Im sure were affected) and we are only getting it all sorted out now. Took about 3 years! All that for useless window transparency and 3D carrousel tabbing...
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me the tablet thingies from microsoft made the biggest mess regarding performance xD
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    perna wrote: »
    What good is your RAM if it sits unused? Free RAM is a sign of an inefficient system, not the other way around! Windows will use it when it can, and when other apps require it, it'll nicely hand it over instead of hogging it. This is a very, very good thing. When you use memory "optimizers" to change this you are actually hurting your system.

To expand on that point. Its using the ram for a feature called prefetch/superfetch. It's a system that keeps your commonly used apps/files in unallocated ram so they load much faster. If the ram is needed they get dumped. If you dump those your actually slowing your system down :poly142:
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    To those interested in my GUI tweaks, I've been working on a concise package with the themes + install instructions and such. However, last Friday my harddrive crashed (fun fun fun fun) and that's more of a priority of mine right now. Don't think I've lost much though.

Anyway, I'll bump this thread when everything is done and the files are up for grabs.