Home Technical Talk

Popping my Win7 cherry

Alright, so after using XP 64 for a number of years, I've made the switch over to Win 7. I skipped the whole Vista nonsense, so I feel i'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to setting Win 7 up. What utilities to use, what features to disable, what new features are really useful.

So please, feel free to give suggestions to a Win 7 noob as far as how it should be set up.

Ideally I'd like this to look and feel as much like XP or whatever, i'm running the classic windows theme(I dont care about web2.0 interface shit).

How do I get a proper quick launch tab?

I've got the taskbar icons set to small but they're pretty tiny now, and I feel like I could fit about 30 of them on screen. I'd like them to be wider, but not real tall using up screen space.... Anything I can do about that? Again more like classic windows UI.

I'm sure i'll have more questions as I dig into it.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you go into the taskbar properties, you can set it to use small icons and to never combine taskbar buttons. That'll get it closer to looking like XP/Vista. I'm not sure if theres anything to be done about the small being too small, but it wouldn't take long to get used to anyway. For the quick launch, I think the closest you can get is right-clicking an icon/shortcut and pinning it to the task bar. I don't think there's a 'show desktop' button you can place there however, though there is the button permenantly on the bottom right side (another thing that takes a while to get used to, but after a while feels as natural).

Edit: I suppose you could try this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Here's a tip. Create a Library of the current game/project you are working on. This will index all the files for fast searching.

Now when I am animating a character, to get the the max files I just tap the Windows Key then start typing the name of the character. All the files and folders that match the name pop up in the search results rather quickly.

As far as the Areo interface, I keep it turned on for the alt-tab thumbnails.

cryrid,

To show desktop just hit Win+D.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    You can hit win+d to get to the desktop and back, maybe thats easier then the thing in the taskbar.

(Monster was faster, saw that after posting:))
    Things i like to mention are the snapping features(win+right snaps the current window to the right half of the screen,win+left to the left and win+up maximizes it)

If you use a tablet you should disable the tablet services of windows, because they can be a hassle sometimes(or even make the quad menus flicker in 3dsmax or slow it down.)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also grab a window and shake it to minimize all other windows.

I just thought that was entertaining.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanEG wrote: »

While it´s true that it is entertaining, i really don´t see any practical use.It´s a feature which i never used once.
    If i want controls like shaking my controlling device i play with my wii(or ps3 with move):poly142:
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I was aware of the shortcut for it, but I find the bottom-right to be a fast enough/perhaps faster for me (if I recall, one of the heuristics of UI is that the four extreme corners serve as the fastest place to put a mouse cursor).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanEG wrote: »

So I had Aero disabled and was trying to do this... Nothing...

Thought it was some sort of hazing. But it works now with an Aero theme loaded =D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like pinning apps to the task bar, I also like that you can reorder them so Max, MotionBuilder and ArtRage all pop up in the exact same spots, they never are dependent on launch order which is nice if you switch apps using the taskbar.

I also enabled the quick launch icons because I missed them. Google helped me do that... If you have ultimate, file passwords are nice along with encryption, because people try to steal your Internets all the time... But seriously if you cart around USB drives or shuttle files around through things like dropbox its good to protect them especially if they're work related. Some employers will BBQ your balls others trust their employees it all depends.

Collecting a few images in a folder and setting your desktop background to use that folder will cycle through the images. Not that I ever see my desktop except for .2 sec in the morning and before I go home... but still kind of cool.

I actually use the desktop gadgets, mostly the notepad to keep track of tasks and time. There are some other handy gadgets you can download so they might be worth looking into.

It may sound stupid but the parental controls can help keep people on task by limiting the which apps can be going for how long. I've heard a few people using this to ween themselves off of distractions.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    You should definitely have aero on, otherwise whats the point in using Windows 7? The performance impact is negligable and its not just about the pretties.

You can drag the a window over to the side of the screen(till the mouse hits the side) and it will resize and fit it to half the screen. Its a good way of getting dual pane file browser without using third party software.

edit: Dont bother with Windows search or Windows copy. These work much better.

http://www.easersoft.com/
    http://www.voidtools.com/
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »

This!
    Everything is so freaking fast.:poly142:
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I had a hard time getting rid of the dynamic pen feedback crap when I was using my wacom. There are a few suggestions on this thread that worked for me.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/dynamic-pen-feedback-in-windows-7-cant-turn-off/7152da79-7c00-4af7-bb9a-c69f5dd3b3f8
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used this as a starting point for tweaking my services ('Tweaked' for my art boot, 'Safe' for my games/work boot). It's a decent start anyway.

I use Teracopy to replace the default Win7 copy.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Cryrid: that's true, because you can throw the cursor in the rough direction without having to check if you're positioning it correctly. It won't go beyond the corner (on singlescreen setups) so it's 1 movement

If you haven't heard about Aero snap yet, IMO it's the most crucial change in the interface. You can drag a window to the left/right or top side of the screen so it snaps to lefthalf/righthalf/fullscreen. This doesn't work properly with multimonitor setups (because it doesn't snap to where the screens meet) but there's another way:
    [win]+[arrow keys]. It's sorta hard to explain all shortcuts because they're context based, so just have a play around with them. But basically [win]+[left/right] sort of scrolls to snapping positions, while [win]+[up/down] toggle fullscreen.

Also, if you don't care about all the glitter, I could give you the files I used to customize the interface. It looks somewhat like this (tweaked a bit since that screenshot):
    GUI_2010-7-1.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz wrote: »
    I had a hard time getting rid of the dynamic pen feedback crap when I was using my wacom. There are a few suggestions on this thread that worked for me.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/dynamic-pen-feedback-in-windows-7-cant-turn-off/7152da79-7c00-4af7-bb9a-c69f5dd3b3f8

Or use this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78303

direct link to the file:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TabletPCbeGentle.bat
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »
    You should definitely have aero on, otherwise whats the point in using Windows 7? The performance impact is negligable and its not just about the pretties.

Well, not to be argumentative, but i'm not switching to win7 for UI tweaks, but:

better driver support, xp64 is pretty dead
    better cpu/ram usage, again XP 64 isn't too great with a quad core and 8 gigs of ram
    optimized for SSD
    No longer having the XP syndrome of your computer getting slower and slower over time - I've been told this is less of an issue with Win7 atleast
    etc etc

I'm going to play around with Aero a bit more, but I hope the UI in win7 isn't the only reason people use it =P

Thanks for all the posts so far guys, I'll be looking at everything a bit more indepth soon.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are using an SSD you should maybe move your temp folder somewhere else(if you haven´t already done so)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a 120gb SSD, I think i'll use this generally for the OS and maybe "working" art files

Then a 250GB WD black drive, I think i'll install my apps and crap on this? Or would I see a major benifit from loading photoshop/modo/etc onto the SSD? I feel like i'd be better off having the large working art files on the SSD, and apps on a slower drive. I think how fast I can load a 200mb PSD file is more important than how quickly photoshop opens, but maybe I misunderstand entirely.

And a 600gb or so drive that i'll use for mp3s/archived work files/etc....

Should I keep a small portion of the SSD for vmem or something?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since ssd´s have limited write cycles, i wouldn´t recommend to use it for tasks where many files/data are written to it, otherwise you end up with an ssd which is read only which is what you don´t want obviously.

This is why defrag is not recommended for ssd´s and turned of for it on windows 7 by default.

Edit: Regarding to microsoft ssd´s are especially good for using it as a pagefile, because most of the time you read from it(like 40 times more reading than writing)

You should also disable Prefetch andSuperFetch.(if it´s not, win7 should handle that itself)
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    SpeCter wrote: »
    If you use a tablet you should disable the tablet services of windows, because they can be a hassle sometimes(or even make the quad menus flicker in 3dsmax or slow it down.)

This was a big one for me I had a hard time getting some programs to run with this on. All good after shutting it down
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Well, not to be argumentative, but i'm not switching to win7 for UI tweaks, but:

better driver support, xp64 is pretty dead
    better cpu/ram usage, again XP 64 isn't too great with a quad core and 8 gigs of ram
    optimized for SSD
    No longer having the XP syndrome of your computer getting slower and slower over time - I've been told this is less of an issue with Win7 atleast
    etc etc

I'm going to play around with Aero a bit more, but I hope the UI in win7 isn't the only reason people use it =P

Thanks for all the posts so far guys, I'll be looking at everything a bit more indepth soon.

Well I'm not saying that aero is really that great. I didnt go for windows 7 for the see through windows, bought a new system what you gonna do? But I've looked into the plus and minus points and aero doesnt detrimentally effect things as the heretics would have you believe. Even having a few gadgets doesnt impact performance.

You should turn of disk indexing thing as well if your using an SSD or just in general because its crap.

I'd use the SSD for the OS and the important apps that you want to boot fast, not the files.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    If you want to optimize your Win, you can try something like Auslogics BoostSpeed, it has a good system advisor that tells you which services you can disable (the ones you don't use). You also can check your msconfig and disable useless start-up apps. This is one of the things Boostspeed do, like other software such as Tune up utilities. Don't forget to uninstall windows components you don't need. Having a good computer with a good amount of ram, it's a nonsense to live in the prehistoric, i mean without Aero or cool interface. btw, I'm still with Vista :(
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn´t recommend boostspeed, tuneup, 7Tweaker and other sorts of placebo´s.You don´t need to tweak windows 7 like xp aside from little things regarding ssd´s or tablet things.
    All this programs are pretty useless.

Registry Defrag - You don´t get speedup´s and it can be very dangerous
    Ram Defrag - pretty darn useless
    Most tweaks in this programs - you guessed it ->useless

Best alternative: brain.exe

Just let windows do it´s thing without letting programs fiddle with the registry and stuff, seriously...
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    You know, I've been doing a lot of research on this myself as I'm also about to go from XP to 7. Most of what's been said agrees with what I've found out on the wilds of the internet, but there's one thing I think bears closer examination.
    You don´t need to tweak windows 7 like xp

When I was looking for answers to a problem I was having (the answer is to upgrade to 7), I came across a lot of people saying "You don't need to tweak xp like you did with 2000." I also seem to remember people saying that a lot when going from 98 to 2k. (No one says anything about ME or Vista.) I can't comment on the veracity of the statement, I just thought it was worth pointing out that it seems to be a common theme.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the wallpaper cycling :)

Anyway, I recently build a new rig with a 128 gig SSD, and have my OS and all my apps on it. Everything runs like butter and opens super fast. I'm no tech expert, but I would recommend going that route.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    So far as optimising 7 i found this interesting, im yet to try it though as my boot is pretty darn fast as it is.
    http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/blog/2010/07/optimize-windows-performance/

If Perna hasnt allready mentioned it to you go get 'fast picture viewer codec pack' it gives you RAW previews in explorer, along with HDR, DDS, PSD and all the other major file formats. its stable and fast. He mentioned it in another thread and its epic.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @iconoplast:
    Be honest, does a fresh installed xp or vista or win 7 really need any tweaks to run smooth?

Even XP doesn´t need any tweaks to run smooth.Almost every tweak is more like a placebo then a real tweak.There may be some which seem to make things faster but there is no real speedup.

@SeanEG: i wouldn´t put every app on my ssd, just the ones most used, because the more you put on it the slower it gets.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter - Definitely, that's what I meant to say. I only have my art programs and some games on my SSD.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Specter, you would be surprised to see how many services/windows components you can disable/uninstall. Using apps like Boostspeed you really can speed and tweak your system, and it's not an intrusive app. A "clean install" with all your apps installed may not be that clean as we thought.

Also, as i said, disabling useless startup programs may be a "must tweak", because installing apps such as photoshop cs5, or logitech mouse drivers, you found your start up is bloated with crap executables that don't do anything except eating resources. Furthermore, the windows load time is higher.

Ahh, a fresh install of windows does not need tweaks to run smooth in actual machines, but don't forget that windows always comes with crap we don't need. When we install, uninstall, install, uninstall, we can make things a little slower (there's always fragmentation, not deleted files and unstopped services, and we may have a system tray full of useless icons and apps loaded into memory), something that in actual machines does not bother at all.

Yeah, perna has a nice setup for the thumbs in windows, that's a great tweak.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know how many services you can disable.
    It not things like that.Cleaning your startup is also legit no problem there but you don´t need any programs for that.just msconfig and you are ready to roll.

It´s always good to defrag from time to time, again you really don´t need external programs for that(There are very rare cases where you could need one)

This so called tuning programs are just placebos or things which can make tasks easier you can do in windows without them.
    So called gaming modes can be done with simple batch files which don´t need much space and don´t need registry entries.

It´s not like i didn´t use this programs before, but there was no "speedup" i got in comparison to doing common tasks by hand.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9

It´s always good to defrag from time to time, again you really don´t need external programs for that(There are very rare cases where you could need one)

Schedule it every day. first day is a pain, after which you will never notice it again.

I kind of agree with spectre, msconfig and services.msc give you alot of control. I used to repair computers and alot of the problems came from people downloading optimisation tools.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do that fletch, but not every day, every week is more than enough for me(i don´t install and deinstall many things)
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I've used Auslogic Disk Defragger for the past few years and I see more of a difference than using other defraggers, especially the windows defragger. That and CCleaner is all I need to keep my system frosty.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting - I am currently doing the switch as well. Same as EQ - I don't care about the new OS itself and its new "features" (because let's be honest, from the end user point of view there are none, you click on stuff, stuff opens up). But under the hood, driver support is important.

I think the only thing that matters is whether or not your day to day apps run well on the OS. The only reason for me to still keep XPpro64 is because max2009 just runs better on it than on anything else (and 2010 and 2011 are out of the question). CS5 runs beautifully on 7 tho. So, I think that max2012 with its great viewport improvements will be the turning point really.

Snader, could you possibly post your UI files ? I am usually not a fan of UI tweaks further than the default options available, but your skin seems to be nice and low key, less intrusive than the default look actually. Do want!

Do SSDs even need defrag ? I've been running a dual SSD+HDD storage setup for about 2 years now and it does not seem to slow down at all. I used to rely on the HD noises to tell if I need to defrag in the past, but since SSDs dont spin I am blissfully ignoring the issue now haha.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Apparently ssd do not need defrag, in fact it does more harm than good as the writing is pretty random (trim tech I think ?) so moving random place data to other random place are just a loss of time and wears the drive. At least that's what I read.

And yeah, snader's theme look pretty slick, I would love to use it too :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, do not defrag your ssd!
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that theme need to be patched system and change Explorer.exe
    EQ you just need stop useless service and table service all u need and switch windows basic theme
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta admit that the search thing is great! I use it for pretty much every app I need to launch, that's right. (was used to it from MacOS so it's nice to see it in Win - I think it's been here since Vista actually)

I guess my point is that, coming from XP there is no huge change in the UI interection with win7 after all, and that's totally fine with me. I like to optimize my workflow and work as smart as possible, but to me this mostly resides outside the OS itself. That is to say, optimising my workflow inside the actual apps I am using, relying a lot on web based services for instant access to my references, and so on. (Delicious, Dropbox, Visualize, Ilisthings ...)

All I need is Win-D, alt-Tab, and a few shortcuts on my desktop :D
    I wish there was a way to preview files the MacOS way tho - simply hitting spacebar to preview an image, play a movie, have a look at a text document, then spacebar again to close it. Fantastic feature!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    I already replied to you on this earlier, just figured I'd throw this in here again. Your information is outdated and does no longer apply. You should only take such precautions if your SSD is ancient and of bad quality. Just google it, there's lots and lots of information online to dispel this myth. Joe's SSD in particular is one of the absolute best drives in existence for writes... so it would be unhelpful to recommend he minimize writes :)

No it´s not outdated, it´s just that newer ssd´s have much more write cycles and algorithms to lengthen it´s lifetime.
    It´s true that it´s not that important anymore, but the fact that it wears of faster with many writes is still up to date.
    I don´t say that you should keep everything to it´s minimum, but tossing everything at it isn´t what i would suggest either.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah and in addition to all of that, recent SSD's are optimized to spread writes over all sectors or whatever, so even if 1 bit has a relatively short write life, SSDs are design to spread those writes across the entire drive, so it really isn't an issue. - This is how I understood it atleast. Earlier drives didn't have this feature, so you'd get the problem of one bit being written over and over and eventually fail and need to be "closed off", but current SSDs do not suffer from this.

But dont quote me on this, I haven't done *that* much research into it.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems you are right, newer ssd´s have so much write cycles per cell+algorithms for spreading that they hold longer than normal hdd´s regarding lifetime.

I have to admit defeat, the numbers i had in mind where false/old in this case.

I have an OCZ Vertex2 which is not one of the newest types out there, maybe i thought like that, because i read articles about it back then :(
  • InMOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About Aero don't know if its been mentioned but Turn it off

If you want to know why just got in max and show fps move around a 1mil poly sphere with wireframe turned on and then turn off aero and test it.

For me i get a huge increase in fps when aero is off.
    I use windows Basic theme with this skin, Its easy to add and looks good too.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not disabling visual styles for max?Whenever it starts windows reverts back to aero basic.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    @iconoplast:
    Be honest, does a fresh installed xp or vista or win 7 really need any tweaks to run smooth?
    Blaizer already said most of what I would have to that. I do think XP needed tweaking at setup, mostly with unnecessary services (oh, how I still hate messenger). Since I've only been using 7 for a few hours, I can't tell you on that front beyond an assertion that it takes an absurd amount of time to install display languages.

In my personal experience, though, the answer is often yes... I did a clean install of 7 this morning and hardlocked the system before I was finished reinstalling software. I don't consider that smooth. That's probably really just me though -- I have a natural talent for breaking computers. Building my own computer may color my perspective as well. I don't get the bloatware that many computer manufacturers like to include, but it does mean I have to get under the hood of my software as well as the hardware when I set things up.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not disabling visual styles for max?Whenever it starts windows reverts back to aero basic.

That's outdated too. Last time I saw this happen was 2 years ago, with Max2009 + Vista combo. It's been fixed for while.

And yeah Icon, no matter what the hype says win7 is bound to be loaded with useless services, that's just the nature of things. It just happens that on a decent machine, it's hardly noticeable and not really worth the trouble digging in. (talking about a clean install with a disc image straight from the MS online shop, not one of these horrible setups installed on assembled computers.)

I find it all heavily dependent on the hardware, and again SSDs are great for that. My home machine, theoretically much slower than my work computer, still boots up the fastest and in general behaves smoother.
  • InMOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Earthquake said he doesn't care about the aesthetics and wants better performance. I have heard from people that aero sometimes crashes/slows Fusion and Nuke and personally experienced problems within the UDK and max. I would much rather have it switched off completely then worry about it being a problem.
    switching it off was just a suggestion
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah and in addition to all of that, recent SSD's are optimized to spread writes over all sectors or whatever, so even if 1 bit has a relatively short write life, SSDs are design to spread those writes across the entire drive, so it really isn't an issue. - This is how I understood it atleast. Earlier drives didn't have this feature, so you'd get the problem of one bit being written over and over and eventually fail and need to be "closed off", but current SSDs do not suffer from this.

But dont quote me on this, I haven't done *that* much research into it.

thats what happened to my ancient ssd :( Now it just sits here as papre weight :poly141:
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    That's outdated too. Last time I saw this happen was 2 years ago, with Max2009 + Vista combo. It's been fixed for while.

I didn´t mean that it happens automatically like with 2009+vista.I meant that you can enable that to have aero enabled all the time but disabled for 3dsmax.
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
    I would like to mention Soluto helps keep you boot times fast. I would also say I dont agree with SpeCter about those program's being a Placebo. They can offer improvements across the board and are worth looking into. One that I really like is Game-booster
    Provides a quick way to disable a list of unwanted services and features ( you can make your own list ) and with one click you can roll back in a instant.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like i said, you can do that without additional software and i rather not install it for the 1-2fps boost i could get.