Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darth Revan - image heavy.

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
i just finished this guy up today (or finished by my standards anyway). i'm certainly open to criticism, it'll help me do better on my next piece!

textures are 2048. i have: diffuse + alpha, specular + gloss (in alpha channel),normals, masks (occlusion + reflection).
when i recompile the textures i'll be putting the gloss, occlusion, reflection and alpha all into one texture file.

model is 13k triangles. it contains quite a few hoops, and the robes are double sided. i could probably bring the count down. but i had aimed for 15k with more detail, but didn't need it in the end.

revan_final_1.jpgrevan_final_2.jpg

revan_high.jpg
revan_final_front.jpgrevan_final_front_wire.jpg
revan_final_side.jpgrevan_final_side_wire.jpg
revan_tex.jpg

edit: i had placed the images side by side (2 per row). but for some reason it's displaying them all vertically... sad panda =[

Replies

• Der Hollander
    Looks boss man. My only real critique is your final beauty renders. I'd love to see me them textures you made, but I can't really see anything through the dark render and your photoshop cloud filter. I know he's like a Sith Lord and all, but it's important that when presenting a model no matter how umm... dark the subject matter is, that you've lit it sufficiently so folks can see the hard work you put into it.

Aside from that, all I have are ideas where you could lessen tri count if you so chose, but at 13k I wouldn't worry too much, especially since it's a boss character. You could lessen tris in the hoops and fingers specifically by collapsing inside edges. The fingers you can get away with having 3 loops on the top where the knuckle is and then collapse it down into one loop for the inside of the knuckle. Same thing for the hoops, just collapse the inside , it won't mess with your silhouette much, and unless you take a microscope to the character, you shouldn't notice the drop in tris.

Awesome stuff.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yeah im getting a nee monitor soon. Ill see what I can do when I get home tonight. Cheers man!
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work man, though I think you could make the lighting a lot more interesting. Maybe adding a gradient background as well, though subtle. When looking at your diffuse-map it might be nice if you add some more detail on there, right now they look flat. You're not really selling the material. I know it's supposed to be soft cloth-like clothing. But what are the chances of ripped clothing without dirt?

Good work so far man :) I like it!
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah what the others said, the character is cool, but those final shots just aren't doing him justice, your diffuse textures are just so dark, can barely see anything anymore on him!
    The clouds aren't helping either, and the red lights on the pedestal are attracting too much attention in my opinion (but mostly cause the rest is so dark).
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I find your lack of faith disturbing. *force chokes everyone*
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    GUY?! GUY?!

Darth Revan is a girl! . . . . or at least she was when I played KOTOR. ;P

Good job. The beauty render is being hurt by the clouds filter and I think you need a much stronger rim light if you are going to display on a black background. And yes, the tri count sounds a little excess for the level of detail in a character.

@Super Happy Cow

I notice that detail when it is well done, and I appreciate it. I never find it too busy if the stitching and buttons would actually be there in real life. If you are wrapping someone in belts like Final Fantasy seems fond of, yeah, it would get busy and absurd quick, but not for real or practical garments.
  • MESMURDA
    Offline / Send Message
    MESMURDA polycounter lvl 12
    wow outstanding

only thing i could say is that u might to get it lower by taking out some of the robe detail for sure but thats optional if its just a personal work :D
  • MESMURDA
    Offline / Send Message
    MESMURDA polycounter lvl 12
    oh and i think it might be even more badass if u had more light spill from the lightsabers :D
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ventress was pretty cool, i'm 99% sure someone else here did her a while back. let me look for a link.
    edit: it was Josh Singh. might be worth asking him if he still has any old renders. the model was pimp.

here's the problem i'm having with lighting at the moment. i can:
    make the background ligher - this makes the character too dark by contrast.
    make the lighting more intense - this makes the robes read more as gray, than black.
    make the materials themselves lighter - again, this makes the robes read more as gray than black.

i hate black materials =[
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    ventress was pretty cool, i'm 99% sure someone else here did her a while back. let me look for a link.
    edit: it was Josh Singh. might be worth asking him if he still has any old renders. the model was pimp.

here's the problem i'm having with lighting at the moment. i can:
    make the background ligher - this makes the character too dark by contrast.
    make the lighting more intense - this makes the robes read more as gray, than black.
    make the materials themselves lighter - again, this makes the robes read more as gray than black.

i hate black materials =[
    Option four - throw some rim light on that puppy. You can then keep the black clothing and black background and still have details pop.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    how's this? slightly better to look at, i hope?

revan_lighting.jpg
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    The detail is certainly much clearer, but you could keep the dark background if you added a rim light like demonstrated here.

As is, it does lose a little of the dark Sith drama on a lighter background and the robes are looking more gray.

I think a light blue rim light would set everything off nicely.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    looks really cool. I think your textures need some extra loving, looks almost flat colour right now with an AO pass. Also try colouring your AO pass if you havent already, black shadows really kill colour on a model.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Looks badass. awesome job Gir.

One thing i would change is the pedistal, it looks kinda crap next to your character. even if it was less blocky it would be nicer.

Also the cloth a bit of manual tweaking of his cloth areas would really help the presentation. when you see his flowing cloak you kind of expect the rest of his garments to be doing the same thing.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i'll look into giving him a different pedestal Fletch.
    i'll revisit the textures next week hopefully. i'm just trying not to spend too much time tinkering. i've fallen into that hole before, tinkering with something for way too long when i should just call it done and move on to something else.

i can repose the cloth no problem, i added bones so it can move fairly freely anyway. so i'll have a crack at that. and as long as you guys think the lighting in the last shot is ok, i'll redo the beauty shots with whatever tweaks i make.
    thanks!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    how's this one compared to the others?
    revan_final_3.jpg

i think i've overdone the clouds again. but having the model alone on a pedestal just feels... boring :P
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I think it lacks shadows on the base. Light from the sabers and scene lights should cause shadows to be case on the pedestal. I think the cloth needs a fabric texture too. You could spruce the pedestal too, why not make a high poly one and use MR materials? The cloth doesn't hang very naturally over his legs. Cloth is hard!
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Just put a gradient mask on the clouds so they mostly populate the bottom.
  • profchaos354
    I really love the sculpt you've done, but the textures don't really do it justice. The diffuse needs more love put into it and I think the stand is really bland. I would make the stand not perfectly circular and maybe put some star wars-y type of debris on there to add interest, just a thought ;)
  • popngear
    Couple things I'd suggest.

1) Increase the intensity of the orange glow or give it some kind of hot spot. It currently is all one shade of orange, with some bloom but feels a bit unnatural because of the even shade. I think the variation with a hot spot will help. The extra bloom might also help with the aliasing (like on the lightsabre)

Otherwise, I agree with the the general sentiment that you have a good piece here that just needs some TLC in a couple areas. Keep it up.
    2) The tatters on the cloth feel a bit unnatural. The damage feels very uniform and the lack of normal map thickness on the edges is also making it appear paper thin. Also, I would adjust the alpha to avoid the pixeleated edges/dots that you're getting.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    revan_final.png

hopefully these are somewhat more presentable for you all =]
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Couple of crits concerning the alpha:
    -you could probably crop the polygons a bit, save texture overdraw.
    -you've got some floaty spots.
    -the black outlining there makes it feel very cartoony, while the rest of the model isn't
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ok i'll take another look at the alpha.
    the problem i'm having is that 3dsmax doesn't like real time alpha... at all. let's hope 2012 is a bit better :P
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    From what I saw 2012 is meant to drastically improve on viewport alpha [video]

My one crit would be the textures lack some fine detail on the robes. otherwise looks great!
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work on this character.