Home Technical Talk

Mouse for Digital Artists

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
The mouse i've used for the past 3 years has just crapped out on me, and I need a new one.

I went to office depot and found that most mouses were wireless (which need batteries). That's out of the question.

On top of that, almost all the mouses are way too thin, or too small (i have huge hands), or have a weird shape... I guess i've fallen in love with my old mouse.

Anyhow, Im just asking for what mouse you guys use.

Replies

• StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    logitech mx 510 or 518. They are very good and offer everything you need.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    meh just get a logitech gamer mouse, that's what i have... best mouse ever. office depot blows for selection. check online if you can't find a decent mouse at staples for whatever reason, you might get a better deal that way.

logitech mx 518 is what i have.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    What kind of mousing surface do you use? Cloth, hard pad, or desk/whatever?

Many laser mice, particularly ones with the Avago 9500 sensor like the Steelseries Xai and Logitech G500, have bad tracking and acceleration problems on cloth surfaces. That said, they track like a dream on hard surfaces, and I've found they tend to work better tracking on whatevs. If you mainly track on hard surfaces and want a big mouse, look into the Logitech G500, Razer Lachesis, or Microsoft Sidewinder X8.

However, if you are like me and prefer the whisper smooth of cloth, optical is the only choice. Optical tracks perfectly on cloth and most smooth hard surfaces, but sometimes the mice can be picky about rough hard surfaces and misc surfaces. The only two real options IMO here are the Razer Deathadder 3.5G and the time honored Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Alternatively the MX518 is an option, but I have had Logitech's cabling break on me a lot.

So yup. Most people are going to blindly recommend the MX518 because gamers are dumb and listened to someone on a forum say optical is better for cloth, then took "optical is better" and ran with it. Now you know it all depends on the surface you are using it on.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    I went with this one:
    I hope its not too thin.

I use the cloth mouse pad. It feels better on wrist. This is also the first asymmetrical mouse ive ever had. Will be quite an experience. lol

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Z1M50/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001YGIB0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0D059YT0BQ530C9QYSYC[/ame]
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logitech MX518, been using this for years, and as soon as anyone else uses this mouse they buy one as well. I should get a crate of them incase they ever become to hard to find. My 65 year old father-in-law got one and loves it, silly thing, an old man using a "gamer" mouse. But its just really comfortable.

Wireless mice are a pain, when you forget to recharge etc.

Also, this mouse helps with wrist pain, I was getting serious wrist paint a few years ago with a basic cheap ass logitech/dell mouse, and this helped IMMENSELY.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Racer445 I noticed the tracking problem is dependent on how reflective the surface is. I like the mouse because it seems like it can take a beating, and so far mine has been through hell.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah the MX518 is a must have for me, and even tho it doesn't look like it it works well for lefties too!
    As for the Intellimouse series - I used to swear by it carrying it everywhere at school/jobs, but now I find it too uncomfortable. I think it's because its shape is fully convex, and now I grew used to the convex parts of the MX518 for easy handling ...
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Another Mx518 user here too. Had mine for years. It does the jurb.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    518. Had it for a couple years without issue. Does what it's supposed to, when it's supposed it. I'd buy another if it broke.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Mouse ? What's that ?

I use this (and I don't now carpal tunnel syndrome btw):

98.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    got a Mx510, I use the 2 thumb buttons as back/forward all the time... I should probably go more pro and customize it to do something useful in max
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    What BeatKitano said
    Wireless and no batteries 8). Although i would say for a mouse replacement this is cheaper smaller alternative
    wacom_bamboo_pen_touch_reviewed_1.jpg

How do you guys put up with logitechs shitty middle mouse button? or is this model previous to the tilt button
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    G700. Wired and wireless. Came from MX Revolution.

Logitech-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse-G700-1.jpg
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    +1 for the Razer Deathadder. Big, fat mouse, very comfortable and accurate. Plus I'm a sucker for tacky, blue LED snakes.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Logitech MX518 is the absolute number 1 choice, in my opinion...looks like others feel the same as me too. Razer is good, but I've had THREE in the past, and none of them compares to the durability and life of Logitech's mouses (2 / 3 of the razer mouses died on me during use). I've only had 1 MX518 Logitech mouse ever since ;D
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    I've been using dual monitors at work but recently entered the year of 2000 by getting dual monitors at home and my old Logitech MX700 was giving me pretty rough wrist pain because of the sudden change to 250% screenspace

I prefer not to deal with wireless mice and prefer mice with DPI settings now to avoid strain from moving my hand too much just to get to the other monitor, i've been using a sidewinder at work which is fantastic and moved to a logitech G500 at home since I was used to the feel of the MX700. I gotta say i really do like the positioning of the forward/back buttons on the sidewinder
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I always have problems with wireless mice. They can't wake your computer from sleep, they are heavier because of the batteries, and worst of all, they run out of charge during extended gaming.

Just make sure you're new mouse doesn't have a tilt wheel. That shit causes a delay when trying to pan when middle clicking.

Also, if you get a Microsoft brand mouse, don't install the drivers. The I-Point software causes some redraw issues in 3D programs. I've been using this model of mouse for 8 years:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=004
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Haha, the MX series seams to be the team for this :P I had a MX510 (the first oone) Loved it! When it broke a thought of texting something new. I went with the Qpad 5K, it's big and big. The annoying part is that it's easily effected my dust, and it's quite expensive. About 60-70€..
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    The problem is, anyone who is extremely happy with the mx518 wouldn't have seriously tried any of the newer mice that came after it.
    Maybe at a friends place, colleague's desk or at a shop just for a few mins and decided "no thanks", because they could't get used to it so quickly.

Anyway I came from a mx518/G5 background and moved onto the Performance MX. Takes a few days getting used to the drastic change in shape and way to hold it, but now that I have I am very happy with it. It's not just the shape I really like though, I really love the position of the buttons too - they've become a integral part of how I use my pc now Theres 4 thumb buttons, 2 for back/forward, 1 thumb button is used as my MMB and another thumb button is used as a button to switch app windows to other monitors.

Back/forward is also used for undo/redo in all programs that have the functionality, and the left/right wheel tilts are really handy for toggling between wireframe/flat/shaded in max and some other stuff for explorer/photoshop/chrome/whatever.

The point is, if you take full advantage of all the buttons and customize them per application, then you'll see how having lots of buttons can help :) But if you don't even use hotkeys then I suppose non of that matters at all. But you really should learn to start using hotkeys, for everything!

The "infinite wheel" for browsing pages is a fun feature but is actually not that handy. Most of the time I just use the MMB to scroll.

Battery wise it lasts almost 3 days of constant usage (roughly 30 hours). You can charge it via usb while using it, so its not a hassle... it just turns into a cabled mouse basically.
    Signal wise I can't notice any lag in any of the games I play (including FPS).

Added bonus; the laser is really cool and works well on most surfaces, including cloth. So since it's wireless you can take it to your bed and use it on the matress/duvet fine.

However with all that said; If I was going to try another new mouse I'd try the G700. Because there's more seemingly well-thought out buttons on it :p (razer naga has crap load of buttons but they are just slapped on with nothing that really distinguishes each button unlike the g700).

Oh yea and that is assuming you think it's reasonable to pay £80-100 for a mouse.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cyborg Rat, while I admit is a bit obnoxious and more of a gaming mouse, has been pretty awesome for my tastes. It's adjustable, comfortable, comes in 4 different price ranges, and features (the most expensive being a wireless), and despite how it looks is very very durable. I liked the R.A.T. 7 so much I bought a second one to leave at class.

It has a pretty sizeable DPI that can be adjusted between 4 values, has a horizontal scroll, and 2 buttons for the thumb
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    and most importantly, it transforms into a robot. Or so goes the legend...
  • Renzatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renzatic polycounter lvl 10
    I've always been curious about those big ass Cyborg R.A.T mice. I like the that everything is adjustable on it, but the thing looks too blocky and unwieldy to use comfortably over long periods of time.

Me? I'm using a dirt cheap tiny Microsoft Wireless 3000 laptop mouse. I originally got it as an emergency backup in case my main mouse decided to fail on me for some reason. I got it for dirt cheap, and I figured it'd do the job of pushing the cursor around on the screen well enough in a pinch.

Then the day came when my main mouse did decide to spaz out on me. My old Logitech workhorse had served me well for a few years, then decided to up and die hard very suddenly. Out came the little MS Wireless, and...hell, I ended up kinda liking it. The thing is so small and light, I can cup it in the palm of my hand, and move the cursor in small, exacting motions with barely any effort whatsoever. I liked it so much, by the time it died on me (in about a quarter of the time of my old Logitech), I went out and bought another just like it.

The only thing I don't like is only having two buttons and a scroll wheel. But other than that, it's a great little mouse.

Mix that in with my cheap first rev Bamboo Fun (I challenge anyone to say that without sounding like an idiot), and I'm controlling my comp with some cheap, but surprisingly nice hardware.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    most of them wireless mice have rechargable akkus

but i always forget to put it in the charger, so it only lasts two weeks and then i gotta use the bamboo until its charged properly
  • thedaemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thedaemon polycounter lvl 8
    My wireless mouse boots up my computer from sleep just fine.

I use the Logitech Mx laser 1000, rechargeable. I wore out my old one, and found some NOS in china I could order. So I picked up another one. Haven't found any other rechargeable laser mice. I use a thumb button for my MMB.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah, I hate those new tiny mice :( Recently went on a hunt to replace my mouse because the middle wheel is sticking sometimes, haven't found a better one yet. Anyway, I've been using this one for around 3 years, no problems.

Voted wireless for freedom of movement.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using a logitech something or nother. Wireless keyboard and mouse set for quite some time. Main downside is the battery replacement thing. Mouse lasts about 2-4 months, keyboard needs batteries every year or so. Occasional secondary downside is its possible to block the desktop antenna and get missing keystrokes.

I think the latency is noticeable for gaming, but is fine for art and such.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Microsoft intellimouse explorer 1.0 (wired). Got it about 10 years ago! Its on its last legs now though. looking to buy the new explorer 3.0, but it doesn't have the nice large side buttons so It might be slightly less comfortable. Only about £15 and by far the best "all round" mouse for that kind of money.

I wouldn't buy wireless unless you needed it though, its just another thing that can break.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    get a mouse which you are comfortable holding even after hours and weeks of work with it. Everything else - wired, non wired, buttons - is secondary. Nolthing worse than getting cramps in your fingers and wrist.
    Find a different mouse for home and work, so your hand can relax a bit, by not always having to deal with the same mouse shape.

One issue almost all wireless mice have is that they're heavier due to the batteries. Personally I don't like that. But if you want wireless there's no way around this.

Having said that, I now switched to a Razr abyssus (wired). Mouse seems okay. Nice high DPI and a classsic shape - I just can't stand the shape of most logitech mice. My hands start to hurt after a while when I use them. Before that I also had an intellimouse explorer. I usually just stick the classic mouse shapes with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I use a Logitech M500 which is fairly close to the MX series everybody talks about here. I love it and haven't had any problem, but the mouse pad I use might also be helping.
    The Mouse Pad is an Allsop pad:

allsop-raindrop.jpg
    Which I've been using for the last 5 or so years and it still works flawlessly :D
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I've been using microsoft wheel mouse optical at home and at work since 2004. I can't use any other mouse this thing has been out of print for so long, they replaced it with some crappy new version that is a weird shape and the buttons don't click right. I've gone online and bought a backup mouse just in case my work mouse dies.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=008
  • McBradd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McBradd polycounter lvl 12
    Both at home and at the office I use the Razer Naga. I pair that with the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G15-Gaming-Keyboard-Black/dp/B000UHE8YM"]Logitech g15 keyboard[/ame] and I've remapped all my hotkeys so that I never have to take my hand off the left 'home' position, or off the mouse. (Step one, remap delete to a hotkey...)

It took a while to learn the position of all the Naga's hotkeys, but now it's just like using a numberpad.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    well depends on what you do, iv been using a logitech mx518 for years and never had issues and hate most other mice i tried.

thing works and aside from it i use a wacom bamboo and will be upgrading to a wacom intuos 4 when i get the money.
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Steelseries Ikari, wired laser mouse (braided wire wooo) with Razer Destructor pad at work, Same mouse with Razer Pro Solutions white aluminium pad at home. The white pad is annoying and actually freezes my hand, planning on getting one of these Destructors for home too :)

The Ikari is nice for being stealthy and having the most accurate adjustments I've seen, without being too ridiculous. I have a Logitech wireless laser at home too and I must say I've never hated a mouse so much, mostly due to the middle button being shit with their "revolutionary way to scroll"
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Just get Logitech MX518 and youll never have to think about what mouse to get again :)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to pimp my mouse:
    RAZOR

It's been a few years and still kicking ass, good quality mouse!
  • J.D.*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g9 Ftw

:poly121:
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    The sniper button not only gives precision on demand for graphic manipulation,
    It will also be overloadable with modifiers and macros in the next driver incarnation.
    The thumb adjustment wide open together with the pinkie platform gives control nirvana.
    Go wireless! ( No lag or Rat 7 woe. 8 hours a charge since november )
    10-20-10-rat9800049.jpg
  • constructa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    G700. Wired and wireless. Came from MX Revolution.

Logitech-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse-G700-1.jpg

I just got this one wireless a couple weeks ago...it is heavy, and it doesn't seem to be from the batteries. Maybe internally weighted for gaming. I found it pretty heavy on the wrist after a couple of hours. Lots of buttons are nice though! I bought another logitech wireless that was lighter and easier to pick up off the desk for 3d stuff. I slightly lift/drop my mouse all the time to 'recenter' the mouse on desk when cursor goes to the 2nd monitor, even with high sensitivity on the pointer.
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My Microsoft Intellimouse died on me..using it since 2005 =/ good times. I currently have a small one, its terrible on my hand and i end up using the tablet. I would probably not care about the brand but get one that is natural and comfortable to the hand. Test it out on the store =P
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a Razer Copperhead myself, with the Razer eXactMat. Really like the mat and the mouse has been awesome since I bought it over three years ago.

Can I ask a cheeky question?

Does anyone have one of those 3dConnexion Spacepilots ? Are they really worth getting? Have some money coming my way very soon and it made me start to wonder about them...
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Can I ask a cheeky question?

Does anyone have one of those 3dConnexion Spacepilots ? Are they really worth getting? Have some money coming my way very soon and it made me start to wonder about them...

That wasn't a "cheeky" question, it's been asked before here and no, I've never tried one or even considered to.

But if you have the money to splash on upgrading hardware to improve workflow, I suggest trying a new mouse with more buttons and customizing them. I know you say you're happy with your copperhead, but you can be happier with something else :p

I was happy with having a single monitor, until I got a 2nd one and now I can't ever see myself not having at least 2. I guess going by that logic, this spacepilot thing can actually be great.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies - I was about to go to bed and should have searched for that before asking ;)

I agree with the monitors though, used to have two.. then went down to a single larger one...now its dieing I definately need to get back to two monitors again.
    Shall read that thread and consider all of my options. Thanks.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I have ditched my mouse for the use of a wacom pen at all times now. I use my mouse every now and again when on my second monitor or some much thing.

My MX510 though has been the best mouse I have ever used and is still working great after 6years :)
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have never mastered using a pen in 3d max, so for that and the UDK I use a 3 button wired Microsoft optical mouse. Its 13 dollars on newegg and is perfection personified in mouse form.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    +1 again for the deathadder. wonderful mouse and the on-the-fly sensitivity changing is awesome. its so comfortable to use aswell.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    mx518, fits well in my hand, is accurate, and cheap as fuck, and i use it along side my intuos3.

but in the end just get what works for you, iv been using mx518's since they were new to the market and am just really use to them now
  • J.D.*
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    The sniper button not only gives precision on demand for graphic manipulation,
    It will also be overloadable with modifiers and macros in the next driver incarnation.
    The thumb adjustment wide open together with the pinkie platform gives control nirvana.
    Go wireless! ( No lag or Rat 7 woe. 8 hours a charge since november )
    10-20-10-rat9800049.jpg

Can anyone confirm the no lag on this mouse? Im getting ready to buy a new mouse and would love a wireless but the lag and performance has steered me away every time.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    L23-6586-main.jpg

It seems like they last for about 3years under daily use (however this is while alternating with pen use too). Just had to change one of mine the other week.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    L23-6586-main.jpg

It seems like they last or about 3years under daily (however this is while alternating with pen use too). Just had to change on of mine the other week.

Mine is still going strong after maybe 4 years or so here, but the little teflon pads at the bottom have all worn off and it looks like dog shit, I should probably get a new one soon. My wife has the newer version with the big thick teflon pads that look like they would last 10 years.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the shape and feel of logitech mice. For me they've each lasted about 2 years. The one pior linked was nice, but the left click action became spotty, drove me nuts.

But why can't I buy one with a normal/non fugly paintjob?

Edit: oh, I'm using a G5. It was expensive, and has an annoying LED on the top left (straight to my eye) to denote which speed setting it's on. Precision feels nice, but marking menus in maya have never felt quite right with it.