Home Technical Talk

Mouse for Digital Artists

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup Throttle, same thing - I changed it because of the left click becoming faulty.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use a logitech g500. I freakin love this thing. Its pretty big, kinda arches your hand up a bit.
  • Xer0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microsoft%20IntelliMouse%20Optical.jpg
    This is the mouse I use. It works and its simple. Though hearing that a lot of people use the tablet pen, might as well give it a try for a while see how I like it. I had a simple Logitech one before this, but one day it just stopped working completely.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Mine is still going strong after maybe 4 years or so here, but the little teflon pads at the bottom have all worn off and it looks like dog shit, I should probably get a new one soon. My wife has the newer version with the big thick teflon pads that look like they would last 10 years.

had my going for 3 years so far, things still works perfect but it has defiantly looked better, the silver on the logo all worse off, due to my grubby hands and the pads on the bottom are getting pretty worn out due to my desk, which is just a sanded down and stained piece of oak so it inst the smoothest surface going, but the mouse still glide right over it with no effort.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Same here! MX510 or MX518.
    I tried newer Logitech mice but they have microgear wheel that works really bad as Middle button.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    I have a whole stash of these old SGI:
    charmouse2.jpg

Can't stand the "clickable scroll wheel" layout. And never gotten used to a thumb-button.

Best thing is you can actually run them through the dish-washer (if you remove the circuit board) and it comes out like brand new :)
  • Veizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veizer polycounter lvl 11
    I have been using MX1000 since it come out it's great but you need some space to move it and feel free.
    I always remap the middle button to the thumb because on MX1000 I hate to press the wheel.
    @Ivars These three button mouses were the best! And that's a PS/2 cable haha I forgot that not so long ago we used them
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    MX518 or MX Revolution :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I use a g5 v2, i love the mouse but i've never been a fan of the scroll wheel, which I use A LOOOOT both for max and to scroll on browsers (I mean press the scroll down, not actually scroll)

So after a year of use, it starts to behave in weird ways. I love this mouse, it fits my hand like a glove and I never had probs I just wish logitech could come up with better scroll wheels.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats one thing that I love about the mx518, totally normal scroll wheel. I dont have any issues using it as a MMB.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I miss was on an older Logitech keyboard, it had a scroll wheel just to the left of ctrl/shift. Turned out to be pretty handy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a rechargeable wireless mouse for a while, it would always run low when I needed it. The thing drove me nuts and it was heavy as a brick and the tilt wheel would always piss me off. After that I went back to using regular old black optical Microsoft mice. I try and stay away from crazy ergonomic mice.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I used to have a Logitech G7 a while ago; it was nice and felt good to use but then I started having this annoying issue. The wireless signal would drop all the time, slowly turning me into one angry man.

I went back to this baby and I don't regret.

Logitech_M_SBF96_Mouse_Optical_OEM_3btn_Roll_PS_2_953686_.jpg

Unfortunately, I've been using it for so many years that the white parts are no longer white, but yellow. One of the sides is cracked and the whole thing looks just plain disgusting. Regardless, just using it makes me feel like I'm one of those 1337 basement dwelling haxxors.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Razer is overrated.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Just updated my 12yr old intellimouse1.0...sobs. May it rest in peace.

(*1 minute silence.............applause)

just bought this to replace it. Nothing serious. Its nice and light, right button works, left button works also...yay!, the middle button is annoying though. I don't like a smooth scrolling wheel and pressing the mmb usually makes me scroll. Which is a bitch in games because its my 2ndary fire but I usually end up changing weapons. i'm also not liking the small 4rd and 5th button and I'd prefer the 5th button to be beside the 4th on the thumb side.
    But for modelling apps its adequate and cheap.
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/comfort-mouse-4500/4FD-00006#details
    mk_cm4500blk_large.jpg

anyhoo. I wish i'd seen this model before I bought it. Seems to be the new version of the intellimouse and it has a "detent" scroll wheel.
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/comfort-mouse-6000/S7J-00001#details
    mk_cm6000_blk_large.jpg

BTW: I'll never buy a wireless mouse. So friggin annoying. Last one ended up falling apart for some reason. Might have been something to do with the fact I smashed it against the wall in a fit of "mouse rage"
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    does anyone else using an MX518 in conjunction with a wacom find they constantly hit the 'switch windows' button when moving to the mouse with the pen still cradled in their grip? It's like they positioned it there purposefully as if to say "we DID design this to play games with, y'know"

maybe it's just me

anyway, besides that, great mouse
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ivars wrote: »
    I have a whole stash of these old SGI:
    charmouse2.jpg

oh how terrible these are... nasty surface, mushy buttons with a loud click and the rubber ball that needs constant attention. and they collect nerd-butter like mad.

honestly, even when i was still using SGI boxes i always replaced those mice with microsoft intellimouse explorer ones. which i still use and recommend, btw.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    when I use a mouse. I use a wacom mouse.

+this is at home where I'm usually sitting on a couch so I can't just put the mouse anywhere...
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    MX518 really is the pinnacle of mouse win
  • binopittan
  • barri allen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer wired USB mice, definitely.
    Since 5-6 yrs I use a cheap (about €14 here in Italy), effective Microsoft model branded as Basic Optical Mouse.
    I think that it is no more produced as such, but the Ready Mouse looks similar, although with a different colouring.
    My first mouse broke up (the wheel, indeed) after heavy use of 3 years. The second one is still working and shining.
    I tried also other models and brands, but they did not fulfill my needs. Also, I feel more confortable with mouse than with pen, even when polypainting, but I deem this is aglitch of mine.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    thomasp wrote: »
    oh how terrible these are... nasty surface, mushy buttons with a loud click and the rubber ball that needs constant attention. and they collect nerd-butter like mad.

honestly, even when i was still using SGI boxes i always replaced those mice with microsoft intellimouse explorer ones. which i still use and recommend, btw.

Nah :P
    They make loud noises, yes. But that's only annoying to everyone else, because you don't hear it through the head phones.

They do collect all kind of nasty dirt, but that's where the washable comes in handy :P

I clean out the interior and ball once a month or so :) Not a biggie. I like the resistance the ball gives.

But really the only real reason for using one of these is the lack of scrollwheel and the fact it has three big buttons. I've been thinking of getting one of these: http://www.rsistuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/vm3_med.jpg that also has a three button layout (and scroll wheel)

Anyone have any experience of that one?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol really, a ball mouse... really?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Tried it out at PAX East and ended up taking one home with me.

zowie_ec1_black.jpg
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    lol really, a ball mouse... really?

Really ^_^
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    sorry for the necro, but i am having real problems  with getting a decent mouse. I have always used logitech wired mice and they were
    great but the one I bought recently was almost impossbile to use for 3d modelling. heard realy bad reviews about them also
    tempted to get a revamped microsoft intellimouse, but the reviews are not too good either
    I just want a mouse that is ergonmic, very precise and does not flap all over the screen. Got this cheap tecknet mouse, but its flipping tiny.
    should have checked the size, buts actually not 'too' bad
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I purchased enough mice to last forever until I die of old age so I never have to upgrade. I've been using this model for 15 years, they break down about every 10 years or so. I have 6 more in a box unopened.

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    oh man, i clicked on this and was reading through it, seeing racer445, and thinking, oh man, thats a name i havent heard in  a long time
    and then i saw when this was all postet : (

anyway, i experienced a lot of pain in my hand when i was working with a g9 mouse, but i figured it was because the middle mouse button was so hard to click. after switching to my go to steelseries it went away

theres also these kind of mice, which should help ? at least thats what i heard
    Logitech MX Vertical

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Haha, 10 years old. Always of interest tho. Lit keyboard and gamming mouse after all the Logitech madness, plus a very small Wacom Intuos Comic tablet. MM wheel is a super comfortable click and I get the impression the KB combo is built to withstand quite a bit of abuse. The little comic tablet is application sensitive and the best one so far.

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Oh cool, I have that tablet too and it's the best one, never going to give that up.