Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Drakon creature sculpt [WIP]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
Hello all. This is my first time doing a creature model. It's something that's always kind of intimidated me and I need to get over it. Also, my first time working off of a concept beside my own. As such I'm not too familiar with proper protocol in terms of using professional concepts, so let me know if I'm stepping out of line.

Anyway, here're the concepts I'm going off of, by Carlo Arellano. I've been told this is the concept for a creature in one of the god of war games - if I had known that when I started I probably wouldn't have gone with it. I just thought the concept was cool.
drakon_2_by_Carlo_Arellano.jpg
Drakon_1_by_Carlo_Arellano.jpg

Here's my progress on the sculpt:
z_basshsots1.jpg
z_basshsots2.jpg
z_basshsots3.jpg
z_basshsots4.jpg

Comments/critiques?

Replies

• haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty good. One thing I'm interpreting differently from the concept is that I'd make his lower body a lot more narrow than the upper. I get the impression that most of his mass is up front, and from front view his legs probably wouldn't be hidden behind his arms quite so much because of that.
  • Razgriz
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Hey Luke, looking good.

I would agree with what haikai mentioned, I didn't notice it in class, but I think it's most evident in the top/down views.

I would also reiterate what I had said about trying to make the pulled skin seem a bit more natural and accurate to the reference. from the front, it doesn't give the impression of wrapping into and from the arm, but that someone stuck a thick plane into his bicep. Also, before you start on the low poly - you could probably transpose the legs back, in, and scale them a bit smaller. If you keep it aligned to the profile reference then I think you're going to get those unavoidable skinning/deformation issues, which could be, I think, lessened by stretching them on the high poly first, before the low poly and unwrap.

But, nice man, can't wait to see it textured.
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Lookin' pretty good!

I'd make the gap between his arms and legs a little longer. Maybe just thinning out the upper arms a bit to match the concept would do it. Also, try to tie his hips/legs in a bit better as there's a disconnect there. This is mostly noticable in the area between his leg and spikey ribcage.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Ah! Carlo works here at Insomniac, he's a beast of an artist. It's not a bad start at all! Looking pretty sweet..but I do feel like he's looking a bit stubby, Horizontally speaking.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback guys! It really helped a lot. I tried to adjust his proportioned quite a bit based on the feedback, especially when it came to making the hind legs narrower.
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Ah! Carlo works here at Insomniac, he's a beast of an artist.
    For sure! One of my favorites.

Here's some progress with the low-poly and texturing:
    bass2.jpg
    bass1.jpg
  • Razgriz
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Well done sir. Could you please post your specular and diffuse maps. I mentioned the spec map not working well to you in class, although I think you would need people more qualified then I to offer you advice in changing it. The diffuse looks good though.

I also think if you got additional normals from your diffuse then it would really help with what I'm reading as a lot of flatness.