Home General Discussion

pMG Messiah for $10? But wait....

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!

PMG is being really cool to allow another day (~27 hours) before they go back to regular prices, so if any have missed out there's still time to get in on the deal.
  • rumbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, if you check the top of the page there is a countdown to the offer officially closing. As of right now there is only 6 hours left.

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/shop.html
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird, mine says just under 27 hours, I wonder if it's timezone dependent?
  • rumbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in Australia. It's 6pm here, 15th of Feb.
    Seems like it is timezone dependent. I suppose it makes sense that everyone would be overloading the server with purchases if it was a global timelimit.

I guess in this regard, we benefit least from the extension. Glad I have my 2 Pro copies already lined up.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That might be it, you are one day ahead of me.

I'm still at 2-14-2011, looks like you are at 2-15-2011 right now.

I guess their web timer isn't set quite right for a hard cutoff if it's reading local time rather than a set "actual" time.

No matter, I placed my order long ago. I just hope no one misses out on the deal.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Phew, that was close, bought the normal license a few minutes ago. I just set up a paypal account, since I didn't have a credit card. Man, waiting for the confirmation transaction takes awhile. Glad I didn't miss out.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yay! Time to finally try out the demo haha
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone know how this is actually working after you buy the software? Their shop just sent me to paypal and after paying I got dropped back to their homepage - no need to register or something like it... :\
  • rumbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith wrote: »
    Does anyone know how this is actually working after you buy the software? Their shop just sent me to paypal and after paying I got dropped back to their homepage - no need to register or something like it... :\

From the shop page:

**Due to the overwhelming response, we are in the process of updating the license system to better automate the management of everyone generating their licenses. We have a 3 day delay in finalizing the transactions, and downloading them into the system. We hope to have license generation up by Saturday or perhaps sooner. You will be getting an email to the email address you provided paypal when you purchased, that will contain the url and login info to generate your license for your purchase or purchases(if you did them in more than one transaction).
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    My countdown is over.
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    rumbox wrote: »
    From the shop page:

**Due to the overwhelming response, we are in the process of updating the license system to better automate the management of everyone generating their licenses. We have a 3 day delay in finalizing the transactions, and downloading them into the system. We hope to have license generation up by Saturday or perhaps sooner. You will be getting an email to the email address you provided paypal when you purchased, that will contain the url and login info to generate your license for your purchase or purchases(if you did them in more than one transaction).

....What? So they are overwhelmed by their own goal? That's kinda funny.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite wrote: »
    ....What? So they are overwhelmed by their own goal? That's kinda funny.
    Getting by with existing staff to cover 10 orders a day, ok. Asking same staff to issue orders to 10's of 1000's and make sure they are all legit? Going to take some time.
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Lamont wrote: »
    Getting by with existing staff to cover 10 orders a day, ok. Asking same staff to issue orders to 10's of 1000's and make sure they are all legit? Going to take some time.

Yeah I understand that, it's reasonable to need time to handle the amount of orders with a smaller staff. I just kinda figured they'd have known ahead of time given they had planned the event and set a sales goal. XD
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    The 3DWorld interview posted previously indicates that they had no idea it would be this successful, especially in such a short amount of time. They anticipated that it might last for months before reaching 100%, or possibly never come close. So given that, it's reasonable that they need a few days to make their licensing system more efficient. I think the biggest problems may come up after the sale; dealing with customer support for a rapidly grown user base that has little to no experience with the application is not going to be easy, particularly considering how complicated and finicky all 3d software tends to be...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    GAH I snapped and bought it
    I wasn't going to since I'm not even an animator, and I use collada..
    but its so cheap.. and *what if..*
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet the sale is going to end in minus 7 hours.
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    rooster wrote: »
    GAH I snapped and bought it
    I wasn't going to since I'm not even an animator, and I use collada..
    but its so cheap.. and *what if..*
    Hahaha - same!... with the exception .. that I am an animator - or hope to be!

I just got it now... I have thrown 10 bucks after less, though, so it's no harm.
    *breaking my tradition of using trials and student versions forever*
    edit: welp the end-of-sale times sure are generous
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Now I just need Adobe and Autodesk to do the same thing...
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I did what Rooster did - got the $40 version even if I don't really need it.

Besides, I might learn to animate some day...
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Stradigos wrote: »
    Now I just need Adobe and Autodesk to do the same thing...

Keep dreaming:poly124:
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adobe and Autodesk are not likely to do anything drastic with Max, Maya, XSI, Photoshop, and Flash, as they are already "on top" and have no need to increase their user base.

Autodesk did run a really good sale on Sketchbook Pro recently though, so we can always dream :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see 3D Coat, UVLayout, or Topogun try a promotion like this. Though Topogun is pretty cheap already. Maybe even Lightwave, Modo, and Cinema4d/Bodypaint will attempt something similar someday.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I sure hope luxology does something like this, even a half price discount would be worth it :( Shame I never bought Modo when it was still a modeler (and cheap!)

Would be nice if they released a stripped down version of Modo that's only for modeling..
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    SO, anyone knows how to use that thing ? There's quite a bit of material out there but maybe someone here knows the good stuff :)

Basically : how to import an obj with proper displacement, basic rig creation and weighting, and simple keyframing ?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Entity:

You should check Luxology's Marketplace sub-forum people sell their Modo licenses there from time to time. Be sure to check with Luxology customer support before you buy though to make sure the seller is legit.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I've always had fun with trials before..hopefully I'll be able to find one cheap
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    rumbox wrote: »
    From the shop page:

Ah, thanks a lot - I must've missed that. :)
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyway, that campaign shows only the instant half of advantage, i.e. people/users/artists are always connected between them exchanging infos, giving attention to price changes, like ZBrush and 3DCoat did, and they are ready to bet even if they are not that kind of user the application is for.

Just to know, Blender is still free or, if you want to spend money to feel like you do the right thing, there's also a version with fee ! :)

The other half of advantage, well, only time will tell: I'm not animator like some of you, then we'll observe next days/months if that move by pmG will have effect on their user base, on our lives, maybe an animator is hidden in you, and, of course, at production level. Most probably after that period and hoping in good results, some other company will make an interesting offer to community.

Watch this and see what our baby can do: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAL-MD9ttS4[/ame]
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If its ended why does the shop still work with the $40 price?

Edit:Never mind, the shop still shows but says it isnt and eligible offer anymore.
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    So has anyone gotten their licenses? I still ain't seen mine.

edit: okay, some quick research shows they are still not ready. :poly117: baww
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope!
    Bought the usb for dongle purpose and still waiting... and waiting... and waiting... :)
    Anyway, as Lamont said (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1289246&postcount=113), it will take a bit for sure.
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    http://setuptab.com/index.php?topic=3344.0 distribution server went up and we should get emails today from this post on setuptab.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah still waiting for mine
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got one of mine.
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont: congratulations!!! ^__^ How was the license setup?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You get a login and once you get in you see a slot for each lic you purchased.
    Linux(WINE) - If you are creating a license for Linux(WINE), please email us for special instructions
    customersupport@projectmessiah.com

MacOS - Make sure your USB flash has a name (not UNTITLED), and that it's format is msdos or fat32
    License Types

For each license you purchased, you can generate a license file, locked to a separate device.

1. Moveable - USB flash stick drive (MAC, LINUX, WINDOWS). Moveable by moving the USB flash to another machine
    2. Fixed - System hard drive (WINDOWS Only). Fixed to that machine.
    Installation

1. Install messiahStudio.
    2. Make sure your USB flash drive is plugged in.
    3. Run messiahStudio - You'll either get an error, or it will bring up a small Client License window.
    4. Choose your USB flash from the file list.(You should recognize it from it's name)
    5. Press the button to generate the ID.
    6. Highlight the ID and copy and paste it into the Client ID field in the Licenses section below.
    7. Click the Generate License button.
    8. Copy License text, and paste into a text file that you will name: messiah_license.txt (this file must be a plain text file).

If you are locking to a USB flash drive, Place this file in the root (Not in a folder) of your USB flash drive.
    If you locked to the windows local hardrive (Windows OS only), place this file in the root (Not in a folder) of your local drive. (c: etc)

Once your license file is on your drive, you can move that drive to any machine with same OS, to run the software there; As long as the software is also installed on that machine. (On Windows, you can actually run the software straight from the USB flash if you copy the pmG over to it)
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    You get a login and once you get in you see a slot for each lic you purchased.

More simple than I thought.
    Thanks.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I received my login information but it's not working. I'm assuming the system is overloaded. Anyone else having an issue?

Neeeever mind then! Tried it again after 15 minutes and got in. :P
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmmm, the license generation is fucking up for me. I followed the instructions and it tells me i have an "invalid hardware key".

Though looking at the key file, the lockid isnt the same as the hardware that i put into the license generation?

Bleh i'll email them if i cant get it working.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Got mine, I'll wait to generate the license though.. Plus I need to find a small usb stick I wont need again.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    oh i bought it today for 40$ even though it ended.. Shit.
    What now? I mean if it is still possible to purchase it, it is still active, right?

edit: Haven't gotten any emails yet providing me with license infos..
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Woot just got it cracking it open now
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys if you bought the Pro version don't generate your license yet. Everyone is getting an invalid id and they're working on fixing it (it was a php bug or something like that)

Basic/32bit people are fine though, so go ahead :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity wrote: »
    Guys if you bought the Pro version don't generate your license yet. Everyone is getting an invalid id and they're working on fixing it (it was a php bug or something like that)

Basic/32bit people are fine though, so go ahead :)
    Yeah, I just logged in and took a look. Didn`t try to generate my lic files. Waiting for work to die down.

Now I expect the forum to be ripe with WIP animations!!!
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    Forgive me if this was already asked, but... is the dongle supposed to be shipped to us? Reading the directions it sounds like I need a USB dongle and I haven't received anything yet. I ordered back on the 10th so I'd assume my dongle would have shipped. I got my login info earlier but I'm not sure what to do since I don't have a dongle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dongle.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can use any regular usb thumbdrive as the dongle :) But make sure you don't format it once you've generated the license
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use your own USB Flash drive dongle, or have a file saved to the computer (that you can take around as long as it is the same OS.). I would recommend buying a 4 gig flash drive ($6USD) and use that just for Messiah.

This info was posted a few times in this thread. So: You will not get a USB dongle sent to you.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder what happens if we switch OSes at some point like XP -> Vista -> Win7?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I wonder what happens if we switch OSes at some point like XP -> Vista -> Win7?
    Then USB dongle would be the best option it sounds like. But it looks like the lic for 32 and 64 bit are different and will they give you both (if you got the pro version)?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm definitely going with a USB as I like to format and reinstall my OS every once and a while.

Hopefully it can be moved between different versions of Windows. I figure I'm going to upgrade from Vista to Win 7 someday and my old tablet PC is 32bit.

I wish PMG licensing was like Modo, just download a license and install, no dongle, Mac and PC, no problem.