Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

art dump

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
daphz polycounter lvl 13
I have a lot of half finished portfolio stuff I want to finish up, so this thread will be for those things, and various other art related thingies.

Here's two sculpts I want to finish up soon, some design stuff and a random model I made today.

latest_badger.png

self_latest.png

one.png

two1.png

rev.png

crits/comments are welcome :)

Replies

• murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cooool, I really like the badger! Is there a reason for all the upside-down crosses?
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i thought you already had one of these going :P nice work regardless, im really digging that badger and the recent toon shaded fellow

i want your fold sculpting skillz

peaz?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    haha, badger and cel shaded nail bat man are awsome...

hope you get all your stuff together man, should be an awsome folio :3
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    yea whats up with that some religious nut will hate you

Honestly, there's very little you can do to not piss off a religious nut =)

On the crosses:
    1. “what’s with the inverted crosses?”

It has nothing to do with satanism, I am not a satanist. I wanted a little token to put on my work in progress works. So I chose the inverted cross. As to why I chose it, that’s for me to know and you guys to ponder about

Love the badger Daphz, great design=)
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally have no problem with the crosses, but it's probably not good that instead of thinking: "oh cool stuff!", my first thought was: "........crosses.....?" and THEN: "oh cool stuff!" :)

Maybe it's just me, though. /shrug.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Okay everyone I think I figured it out, after seeing some of his other posts here, and noticing the repetition on other characters, as well as not answering the indelible question of why, I believe it is a type of "brand recognition"

I think he wants to become known as "that guy who always uses upsidedown crosses" so that he'll be instantly recognizable across the board without having to physically place his name on the images in type.

Let me know if i'm off here Daphz, love your stuff by the way :)
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the badger <3

The dude with the bat is pretty neat too.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    im sorry but if anyone believes that the upside down cross directly means satanism, then you need to do some research. it is the Cross of St. Peter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_St._Peter

"In Roman Catholicism the Petrine Cross is not seen as Satanic in any way. However, an inverted crucifix (a Latin cross with an artistic depiction of the crucified body of Christ upon it) is seen as immensely disrespectful, and could be used to represent Satanic forces.[citation needed] The distinction between a Cross of Peter and upturned Crucifix is sometimes obscured, leading to confusion about the acceptability of each symbol. This was seen when controversy arose over the aforementioned Papal visit to Israel; pictures of the Pope sitting before a Petrine Cross were widely circulated on the Internet in an attempt to prove that the Catholic Church is associated with Satanism and the Antichrist.[2][3]"

basically it boils down to the idea that Simon Peter felt unworthy of being crucified upright

if anyone ACTUALLY has a problem with this, either on this board or in the industry, they are obviously misinterpreting this and i would recommend they look into things a little more before just assuming what they have heard by others. if daphz was putting a little upside down body crucified on that cross, then he might be setting himself up for some ridicule, but the way he has it now he's not representing anything other than the crucifixion of Saint Peter.
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    Mike Yevin wrote: »
    im sorry but if anyone believes that the upside down cross directly means satanism, then you need to do some research. it is the Cross of St. Peter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_St._Peter

"In Roman Catholicism the Petrine Cross is not seen as Satanic in any way. However, an inverted crucifix (a Latin cross with an artistic depiction of the crucified body of Christ upon it) is seen as immensely disrespectful, and could be used to represent Satanic forces.[citation needed] The distinction between a Cross of Peter and upturned Crucifix is sometimes obscured, leading to confusion about the acceptability of each symbol. This was seen when controversy arose over the aforementioned Papal visit to Israel; pictures of the Pope sitting before a Petrine Cross were widely circulated on the Internet in an attempt to prove that the Catholic Church is associated with Satanism and the Antichrist.[2][3]"

basically it boils down to the idea that Simon Peter felt unworthy of being crucified upright

if anyone ACTUALLY has a problem with this, either on this board or in the industry, they are obviously misinterpreting this and i would recommend they look into things a little more before just assuming what they have heard by others. if daphz was putting a little upside down body crucified on that cross, then he might be setting himself up for some ridicule, but the way he has it now he's not representing anything other than the crucifixion of Saint Peter.
    Glad I didn't have to post this.

Love the cel-shaded character!
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the badger, his hands and claws could use some work though, they don't look functional really, more like an awkward glove.

As far as the upside down cross, it doesn't really matter what it's origins are if 90% of the people initially think "satanism" or "anti-religion"
    Thats like using the non skewed swastika and saying its the Hindu peace sign... of course Satanists are probably responsible for a few million less murders so it's an extreme example but those are the best kind of examples :P

Brand recognition is tricky business, it can do really good things when used correctly. For example, I will never forget Ben's website (poopinmymouth.com)

Great stuff keep posting dude!
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    woah I did not expect so many comments. Seems like the cross thing is kind of controversial I guess. But Dduckworth and NathanA are pretty much right about the brand thing. and again, I'm not going to keep it on final portfolio presentation. About this thing preventing me from getting a job, I can definitely see that sort of thing happening, so I will be careful. But for now I'm going to keep using esoteric/spiritual symbols, because I like them. If you guys want to discuss more, PM me or hit me up on skype or something.

Thank for the compliments on my work though :)

@NathanA - I will deff fix them badger hands.

here's todays speedy, inspired by a plague doctor.

birdytech.png

i'm gonna work more on that cell shaded dude now.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Ha, I was going to comment yesterday that the crosses are very easy way to identify your work. I see them and right away know who did it. As far as it preventing any jobs, that might be a good thing, just think of it as an inherent filtering system for bosses you wouldn't get along with. Nice sculpts btw, I too hope to see that badger finished up.
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    the self portrait and the badger is coming out fkn awesome!

Upside down cross is an awesome brand, HAIL SATAN!.....jk lol

fuck! totally forgot im on my GF computer hahah this is STRIKER BTW
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    fckin great work daphz, love the upside down crosses.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty rad dude! you`ve always flexed out a certain flavor in your work. I really dig the illustration stuff too-
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the plague doctor. Are you planning on taking it further? Could be cool merging the new tech with the old plague doctor style. Maybe some sort of high tech plague doctor hat.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I love the cel shaded dude and the skeleton pharoah. Don't ditch your callsign, either.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the plague doctor, they are one of my main fascinations, I even got a mask of one just the other day!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Very cool stuff. Quite sceptical to the whole cross thing as it at first struck me as a bit mediocre though at the same time it's quite a clever way to brand yourself. Everyone will know who the creator is. This is something everyone should think about if they want to stand out.
    I guess the crosses simply will get tiresome in the long run. Perhaps they could be implemented outside the focal point?
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    yes love the crosses, keep em inverted! its great. that part attracted me to your art more.

here is one for yourself, so you can live as your art does.

- bellaclava inverted cross with jewely blood drops - a must have!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Personally I love all your work and love that you put the crosses on your WIPS. your color palette alone makes your work very recognizable, and the cross seals the deal of awesomeness. Love it!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    it seems that this crosses thing is a real barrier between your work and some viewers.
    is it worth to stay them there and not find some different symbol, that doesnt have such religious context behind?
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    @enodmi - that filtering thing makes sense... I did not even think of that.
    @terra--striker - thanks bro!
    @aimbiz - I agree that the crosses will become tiresome in the longrun, but I'm keeping em for now :)
    @MicroNeezia - ahahaha that is an awesome baklava.
    @Conte - yeah man you're right about the barrier, thing, seems like a few people seem to really dislike it. I did consider using a few other things (eye of horus, eye+pyramid from the american dollar, the egyptian ankh, aleister crowleys tree of life, the sigil of azazel, and a bunch of other stuff. But those are equally as...religious i guess. The cross thing will grow old though, and when it does I will switch to something else, perhaps a crown or a key or a fish. For now I will make it less prominent in my stuff :/

Again, thank you for the compliments on my stuff. I do plan on taking the plague doctor further, but I want to finish the badger and self portrait first. I worked a bit more on the cel shaded dude. here's a (Blender) render and the texture (half size)

nailbatedudewip1.pngrev_tx_sml1.png
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin good, have you tried applying the map at half size? It seems to me with this type of detail that half size would not be a noticeable difference.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I'll try that out DDuckworth!
    here's some updates. Been trying to finish the badger, I started the retopo also.

badgerhilatest.png

badgerlowwip.png

todays speedy:

normal_bug.png

I played around with compositing zbrush passes too:

over_processed_bug.png
    the recording's here - http://vimeo.com/19901367

lots more stuff soon!
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    dumping more stuffs...

fatty2.png

creature.png

fatty.png

3_wip.png

guardianwip.png

badgerwip.png
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    ...dumping once again.

badgerwipalmost.png
    Gotta fix the mohawk, tidy up the textures, and tweak the pose.

piggiewip.png
    (I didnt get the idea for this, the original was by paul romano http://www.workhardened.com/project/3/The%20Acacia%20Strain/Dead%20Walk )

guardianwip.png

gotta finish the polypaint, give this guy a huge axe, and then retopo/texture everything.

helmetwippy1.png

No idea where i'm going with this, I know she's going to have an army helmet though.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    flatten that bicep down a little on that horned guy, it looks really wierd now so bulged up
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HONEY BADGER DON'T CARE. HONEY BADGER DON'T GIVE A SHIT!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    That pig is super sweet. love whats coming out of his belly.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The best part of that praying mantis scultpure vid was when you put the cross in and placed it haha, cracked me up!

I love how the pig came out, and i'm really glad you pointed out the concept because i was confused for a bit haha. My fav sculpt of yours as of late is the muscle guy without eyes, I seem to have a thing for creatures that don't have eyes in the normal spot...or at all
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I've been busy, setting up my website, and playing with traditional paint stuff... I also re did all the presentation to most of my folio stuff. so here's some random stuff...

guardian_pose_wip.png

Trying to get his pose right

sidescroller_wip.png

sidescroller game I started...

weblayout_wip.png

website layout wip.

sketchy.png

latest sketch. I have to start doing these more often again.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    doctor_wip.png
    pulling lots of inspiration from Killzone on this one

tribute_wip.png
    This is inspired by Ashley Wood. that guy is amazing.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    So I copied Ferg with the whole attemping to recreate a jeff simpson painting <_<

jeff_ferg_bitin.png
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey daphz

nice job man Love your stuff bud ;)
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    your stuff looks pretty good.

My only problem with your work is that in general everything looks squished ... like you're building everything from the front, and the side is an after-thought.

take your last creature head sculpt and overlay it on the reference and you'll see what i'm talkin about... it looks pretty close, but it's like you scaled him on the front to back axis.

Cool stuff otherwise
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    thanks makecg.

@nfrrtycmplx: After taking a close look, you're right. I think part of it is because I tend to forget to sculpt in perspective :/ I will definitely use reference more carefully in the future, as well as double check my angles. thanks for the crit!

here's a sculpt and a paintover I did tonight.

baresculpt.pngpaintinbustthingy.png
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    dumping!

all wip stuff.

thang5_wip.png

plaguedoctor_latest.png

kingnine.png

^ this is on a peice of wood that I found in my garage. I will get better pictures soon...

also my website is just about done, once it is i'm going to start one of those threads for site crits and such.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    love your style man LOVE IT!
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick ass style, big homie! Have you done any t-shirts? Your 2d stuff would look awesome on a shirt!
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    thanks guys! I really would like to do T-shirts, I just need to look into printing services a bit more...

latest plague doctor, changed some small stuff mostly. still lots to do.
    doctorlatestohmanimtired.png
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    latest turns... Modeled the mask and the armor, and added little stuff, belt holes n straps and such. tried to fix some folds also, messin with zbrush rendering stuff.

plaguedoctor_latest_turns.png

still stuff to do, but I want to finish up soon; so i can start the retopo
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fucking ace.

You may want to ask around about the t-shrit printing stuff. I know there are some people on Twitter like Missmonster, that might could point you in the right direction if you introduced yourself and asked politely.

http://bigcartel.com/ seems like a decent online storefront, too.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Love the works man. :)
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    @8ftspider - hmm, I'll shoot her a message, thanks for the tip!
    @duncan - thanks bro!
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    tl;dr what's with the upside down crosses, are you 15 years old looking to get even at "the man" or am i misunderstanding it's purpose?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D wrote: »
    tl;dr what's with the upside down crosses, are you 15 years old looking to get even at "the man" or am i misunderstanding it's purpose?
    tl;dr

Are you 15 years old, or is a 2 page thread with a smattering of text too much for you to read?
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Your def representing you have a good understanding of graphic and urban design. Keep it up.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    hells yeah man! I dig the hard surface-ification on the character! nice contrast-
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    thanks guyz!

@rickD - lawl, naw braw i'm 21.

here's the retopo
    plagued_low.png

stayed up all night and finished it in around ten hours. (with a starcraft 2 break near the end :D )