Home General Discussion

!!!to anyone that bought a sandy bridge rig!!!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cougar-point-sandy-bridge-sata-error,12108.html

apparently the 3gb/s SATA controllers are pretty fucked, and intel are going to be ordering recalls pretty soon. anyone who's purchased a sandybridge motherboard might want to keep tabs on their vendor/manufacturer for details on how/where to get your new one.

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just read about this. Not sure if I should be concerned or not, think I will call my parts supplier tomorrow.

I literally just built an i7 SB rig a couple weeks ago, with a P67 board. The impression I'm getting from the articles is that it may be affecting 'off the shelf' systems rather than home builds, but I haven't done much research so I could be wrong.

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll keep an eye out for recalls.
  • Charlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm hoping this is a quick turn around and they start releasing fixed versions soon! I plan on ordering one for the new rig I'm going to attempt to build. My first time so it's going to be a learning experience!

Sucks for anyone this affects though, I would hate to have to dismantle my system to send it in for a replacement.

At least they are being upfront about it and not shady.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    This is precisely why you should buy PC hardware 3 years after it is "brand new hot stuff"
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Sort of a downer, but it sounds like as long as whatever you have hooked up to your sata2 doesn't get used constantly (like a hdd) should be fine.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    ewwww I was just about to buy one to replace my C2D...=.=
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    This is precisely why you should buy PC hardware 3 years after it is "brand new hot stuff"

You said it, man.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    argh, I'm looking to do a cheap upgrade of some core PC parts on the cheap, and now I have to wait for this to get sorted out? Bah.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18

LOL Thats ridiculous. I can see waiting a year, but three years is EOL for many. You will find upgrading those systems even more a pain in the ass as the manufacturers will be cutting back on compatible equipment.

Would you use that same theory on your graphics card as well?

Perfect example is DDR2 ram prices to DDR3.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Well my rig is 3 years old - I havn't needed to upgrade because consoles kept game requirements level. But my PC really creaks under heavy max/photoshop usage.

Basically yes it means I need a new mobo for new ram and CPU, but RAM and graphics cards are so cheap nowadays it's really not much of an issue. I'm looking at a solid upgrade that will last me another two years at least for <£500.

edit: Wait I missread you. Yeah 3 years is bad. It's long enough that you will pay a premium finding parts for your obsolete motherboard and get less preformance than cheap, mid range 'new' hardware.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    fearian wrote: »
    Well my rig is 3 years old - I havn't needed to upgrade because consoles kept game requirements level. But my PC really creaks under heavy max/photoshop usage.

Basically yes it means I need a new mobo for new ram and CPU, but RAM and graphics cards are so cheap nowadays it's really not much of an issue. I'm looking at a solid upgrade that will last me another two years at least for <£500.

edit: Wait I missread you. Yeah 3 years is bad. It's long enough that you will pay a premium finding parts for your obsolete motherboard and get less preformance than cheap, mid range 'new' hardware.

There is a difference between a 3 year old rig, and buying parts that are 3 years old. :D

3 years is completely ridiculous. Like oxynary said, 1 year is understandable. But I usually buy parts that are 4-6 months old. GPUs however aren't THAT cheap. It depends what you buy. If you have a GTX 250, then yeah. But look at the GTX 580. Also, *good* RAM is still not cheap.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Also, *good* RAM is still not cheap.

what do you consider *good*? I grabbed 8gb of ddr3 1600 ram (G.Skill Ripjaw brand) with 9-9-9-24 timing for $100 a few weeks ago which seems good and cheap to me.
  • Shogun3d
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    what do you consider *good*? I grabbed 8gb of ddr3 1600 ram (G.Skill Ripjaw brand) with 9-9-9-24 timing for $100 a few weeks ago which seems good and cheap to me.

You'll be a thousand times more likely to notice the lack of ram rather than the speed of ram.

Timings are often more important if you're into overclocking and such, buying the most expensive ram there is can be quite a waste though.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    fearian wrote: »
    Wait I misread you. Yeah 3 years is bad. It's long enough that you will pay a premium finding parts for your obsolete motherboard and get less performance than cheap, mid range 'new' hardware.
    Just went through this. It was better to buy a new mobo, CPU and ram than to replace my motherboard ($240 to replace vs $450 for new current bits).
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    hehe, i just got my system up and running last friday.
    Looks like i'm in the mess. YAY! I am happy that intel is taking the blame, unlike nvidia who shit the bed and had to be sued in a class action lawsuit for their shitty 200M series video cards (i'm in canada and couldn't join the lawsuit so i had to pay for the repairs myself). Ugh.

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard :(
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    its not really a big deal. it may cause degrading of the sata 3GB ports only on some motherboards if the ports are used heavily. i built my system on the weekend and just plugged the hard drives and dvd drive into the 6GB ports instead. once the dust has settled and intel ship out the fixed chipset you'll get the motherboard replaced because your under warranty.

people are over reacting
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, in addition to the kinks being worked out and minor improvements made, its a truckload cheaper.

I buy quality parts, which means, almost never buying whatever just came out.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, in addition to the kinks being worked out and minor improvements made, its a truckload cheaper.

I buy quality parts, which means, almost never buying whatever just came out.

Wasn't your recent rig not built around 3 year old versions of equipment?

Edit: You know what you three year guys need to do that makes sense, is say. Technology that has 3 years worth of revision.

Still unnecessary and not always cheaper. But it will give you the most current version of that tech thats been improved or fixed over time.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Experts say this type of technology doubles every two years. The best thing to do would be wait 2, anything after that is basically waiting for prices to drop further.

There are people who jump on new technology (early adopters), then there are people who wait for the others to try it (early majority), evaluate it (late majority), and then use it. Then there's the laggers... lol
  • 00Zero
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    people are making a too bigger deal out of this. an update from intel says that only 5% of all the 67 chipsets were affected, that means 95% of motherboards are completely unaffected. i have x4 6GB sata ports so i don't even have to use the affected 3GB sata ports.

all i can say is i'm enjoying my i7 2600k, 16GB ddr3 ram, gtx560. i love it, going to go play black ops while other people panic for no reason
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Wasn't your recent rig not built around 3 year old versions of equipment?

Edit: You know what you three year guys need to do that makes sense, is say. Technology that has 3 years worth of revision.

Still unnecessary and not always cheaper. But it will give you the most current version of that tech thats been improved or fixed over time.
    Yea I'm not hard and fast about the 3 year rule, I just don't buy the latest thing to plop off the assembly line. I think we covered that in the "check out my new system" thread.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Last year I spent $700 on a PC using 2/3year old gear, and I can play pretty much every new game on highest settings. I dont have time/energy/money to build the "UGM" every year - its just totally not needed.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    What do you mean wait for the DX11 cards to drop in price Vig? You can get a very decent ATI or nVidia card that supports DX11 for about $140.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I'm not hard and fast about the 3 year rule, I just don't buy the latest thing to plop off the assembly line. I think we covered that in the "check out my new system" thread.

Which one? Each person seems to start one.. Hence my own thread about having master threads for such and the recommendation then brought up about having a hardware section on the forum. Hint Hint.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just finished my new setup using sandybridge... it's so damned fast it's not even funny. i'm using all the 6bg/s SATA inputs, don't need any of the 3gb/s ones.

managed to overclock it to 4.8ghz lol...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Which one? Each person seems to start one.. Hence my own thread about having master threads for such and the recommendation then brought up about having a hardware section on the forum. Hint Hint.

I think we can all agree that this might just be something nice to have (a hardware section). I don't think one single thread for everyone's questions would work out well though. If I were building a new rig, I'd want people to read my thread and answer my questions specifically, as opposed to getting ignored, because of the dude who posts 5mins after me, and decides to spend more money on a bigger more badass rig. :D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    5% of systems over the tree years

..yeah, I'll take my chances for now. Newegg is going to ship us new boards when they arrive, so I'll just swap it out then. I don't think the board is going to be failing in the next 3 months...
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ..yeah, I'll take my chances for now. Newegg is going to ship us new boards when they arrive, so I'll just swap it out then. I don't think the board is going to be failing in the next 3 months...

Agreed. Still kinda lame though. First time building a custom rig and I bought an i7 sandy bridge the day before this came out.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Newegg is going to ship us new boards when they arrive, so I'll just swap it out then.

Has newegg actually said how they're going to handle it when the replacement boards become available?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyhertz - Yeah, they sent out an email to everyone who recently purchased a sandy bridge from them. It included a video with how to workaround the issue, and also stated that they will replace your sandy bridge with the fixed versions, no questions asked.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanEG wrote: »
    Polyhertz - Yeah, they sent out an email to everyone who recently purchased a sandy bridge from them. It included a video with how to workaround the issue, and also stated that they will replace your sandy bridge with the fixed versions, no questions asked.

Orly?

Me thinks many a motherboard will show up with many a chipset heatsinks and fans missing. :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, haha. I'll have to take another look at that email. Maybe I missed something.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad this will be handled, motherboards changed etc. I'm fine using the 6Gb/s ports in the meantime, and then change my mobo when the fixed versions are available.

It would be nice if my retailer/mobo vendor would sent the mobo before my broken has arrived to them. This way I would avoid unnecessary downtime between.

I wouldn't take this as a prime example why "it is good to wait". Hardware changes constantly, and SB is the best one can get now. Even considering the price, since old C2Q based systems are more expensive now and are way slower.