Home Technical Talk

Tank Treads - Again

martynball
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
martynball polycounter lvl 10
Okay, got the script to work. baked normals to a 24 triangle block and made the tracks, only made one set and there are two of these...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5LExCiqqbI[/ame]

How can I make tank treads which look as close as possible to the highpoly but have them lowpoly?

Replies

• FicWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
    That's cool that you animated the treads, but I don't think it was actually absolutely necessary. Most treads in realtime engines are dynamically-scrolling UVs. So if you do a bake of a flat section of tread and then map it to a low poly tread you should be fine. Typically the underside is also rigged to a set of bones that allow it to conform to the terrain.
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    FicWill wrote: »
    That's cool that you animated the treads, but I don't think it was actually absolutely necessary. Most treads in realtime engines are dynamically-scrolling UVs. So if you do a bake of a flat section of tread and then map it to a low poly tread you should be fine. Typically the underside is also rigged to a set of bones that allow it to conform to the terrain.

Okay cheers, seems the most lowpoly way. I'm sure AO and Norm's can give it the same look as the highpoly. Just not up close lol.