Home General Discussion

How to send images for Job applications

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AlexLegg polycounter lvl 14
Just wondered how people send images of their art when they apply for jobs?

Often on line applications ask for a CV and to send work examples.

What's the best way to send the images? just JPEGS in a zip folder, or a PDF with images arrange or maybe one to a page, or the same but in Word.

Or should the images be part of the CV in Word or a PDF?

Replies

• Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    When they ask for samples of your work they are expecting you to send them the link to your online portfolio along with your resume.

This is how I have always done it. You don't really want to send a bunch of images as it makes it harder for them to send them out to the team to look at. Much easier and convenient for them to be sent a link to your website and they can just email the link to all the art leads.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep like luke and autocon said, just link them to your portfolio. If you have samples you can't show set up a separate page that isn't "public" and link them to that also.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    mail them copies from kinkos and include some cookies. Also, if your mom is hot, include some racy photos of her!!

or, just do the online portfolio thing.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    Also, if your mom is hot, include some racy photos of her!!

Naughty Dog is hiring atm and instead of sending those photos to HR you can send them strait to my private email.
  • AlexLegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, bettre update my online portfolio then! I always assumed they wanted images sent.

Autocon, ohhh i'd love to work for you, amazing work and uncharted 3 on the way, sweet. Not sure a move to the USA is on the cards tho, maybe I should look into the visa!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i usually have a compressed zip on my webserver that i include a link to when i apply. not ideal, but that works too if you dont have a web portfolio set up
  • AlexLegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As an example, here is a post from a company's website:

Please only apply via email with:

Brief CV detailing your education, work history and interests.
    Applicable work samples.

So to be clear,would you still translate this as being OK to send a link?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    AlexLegg wrote: »
    As an example, here is a post from a company's website:

Please only apply via email with:

Brief CV detailing your education, work history and interests.
    Applicable work samples.

So to be clear,would you still translate this as being OK to send a link?

I cant see why not,it would be easier to copy and paste a link instead of having to download an attachment. The faster an employer can see your portfolio the better.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes that means they are expecting your website. All HR emails will be similar to this and they always mean your website. They never mean a ip file of images unless they clearly state they want a zip file of images. You can also put a zip download on your website that has all your images in it. This way if they wanted to DL your images they could. Not needed at all but some people like to have it on there website.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Lol,we once had a guy applying for an animator position,h sent us a wooden box,a small cd with his work and CV as well as a creepy plaster human hand inside ,with a note attached to a finger by string, which said "let me give you a hand"

... we kept the plaster hand but he never got the job
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 wrote: »
    Lol,we once had a guy applying for an animator position,h sent us a wooden box,a small cd with his work and CV as well as a creepy plaster human hand inside ,with a note attached to a finger by string, which said "let me give you a hand"

... we kept the plaster hand but he never got the job

Pretty cool way to impress.

I guess his work wasn't that good?
  • AlexLegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I always considered doing some amazing novelty approach to stand out from the crowd, like maybe my CV as the booklet in a CD case, with my showreel on the CD. Or maybe putting my CV on a giant polystyrene gravestone.

Guess that approach doesn't work then?

I should get on and actually work on my portfolio in that case!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    AlexLegg wrote: »
    actually work on my portfolio

being cute wont get you a job ;)
  • AlexLegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh come now, surely it helps! ;-)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have seen some super cool "stand out from the crowed" sent in items. Problem was it almost always seemed people spent more time on that then on there art test/portfolio.
  • AlexLegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon, just had the chance to check your site out.

Awesome work. In my humble opinion your site is the perfect portfolio. Good work, well presented, no fancy crap, and all the info needed. including a downloadable CV and images.

I'm always reluctant to put my CV on a site, scared what info people may gain about me!
  • AlexLegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    I have seen some super cool "stand out from the crowed" sent in items. Problem was it almost always seemed people spent more time on that then on there art test/portfolio.

I guess if you're good enough, you don't need a gimmick!

That's me done for then! :-(