Home General Discussion

New 3D Nintendo portable announced: Nintendo 3DS

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
Doesn't need glasses...kinda strange as I was just talking to someone last night on the topic of 3D movies without the need for them. Didn't really think it would happen this soon though.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf
March 23, 2010

To Whom It May Concern:
Re: Launch of New Portable Game Machine

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch "Nintendo 3DS"(temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.

"Nintendo 3DS"(temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed "Nintendo DS series", whose cumulative consolidated sales from Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009, and will include backward compatibility so that the software for Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be enjoyed.

We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.

Some rumors I remember reading last year claimed the nVidia Tegra would power their next handheld...should be an interesting e3.

Replies

• MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    If this is where portable gaming is going now imagine the DS they'll announce next month!

ds-it-prints-money490.jpg
  • Wahlgren
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    As I understand it its just a higher spec DSi with the games having that tracking 3d effect mandated. Will probably have to wait till E3 to know if thats the extent of it.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats....really cool.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    That is awesome. And you know if its Nintendo its got to be really solid, whilst not perhaps entirely perfected yet.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    As I understand it its just a higher spec DSi with the games having that tracking 3d effect mandated. Will probably have to wait till E3 to know if thats the extent of it.

Where did you get that info? Everywhere else is leaking info on it left right and center as it being more akin to the power of the old GameCube, which makes much more sense. For Nintendo to do another simple revision of hardware alone when the above is already possible on any DSi game would be pretty much pointless.

None of it matters anyway, I'm still miffed that there wasnt a single 2D DS Metroid game even though the system would be a perfect fit for it. Hopwfully this will open up some amazing ideas with the backgrounds on a new 2D Metroid game, though. It would be pretty damn cool to be honest.
  • flaagan
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    Where did you get that info? Everywhere else is leaking info on it left right and center as it being more akin to the power of the old GameCube, which makes much more sense. For Nintendo to do another simple revision of hardware alone when the above is already possible on any DSi game would be pretty much pointless.

Yes, Its a more powerful (gamecube'ish level) DSi with a mandated tracking/view-angle based 3d effect. Obviously its not a revision else it wouldnt have to be 'backwords compatible' with DS games, but that doesnt change the fact that what we know so far doesnt paint is as being anything amazing. Rumor has it that it might also have a joystick and tilt sensor, but they're just that, rumors atp.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Difference being, to play this you don't need to put a magnifying glass to a television screen that is rendered entirely red...
    @flaagan
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Hmm I wonder how this is achived.

In the video, it seems like you have to tilt the DS to be able to get the 3d-effect. So I suppose the camera in the game is affected by a motion sensor in the DS/cartrige. Is that right?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    so if you put two 3ds together you'd get a portable wii?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    corv wrote: »
    Hmm I wonder how this is achived.

In the video, it seems like you have to tilt the DS to be able to get the 3d-effect. So I suppose the camera in the game is affected by a motion sensor in the DS/cartrige. Is that right?

In the video posted above I think they use the camera on the front and back of the DSi to track motion and adjust the in-game camera like so. it's so cool!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Nintendo 3DS Max?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Yes, Its a more powerful (gamecube'ish level) DSi with a mandated tracking/view-angle based 3d effect. Obviously its not a revision else it wouldnt have to be 'backwords compatible' with DS games, but that doesnt change the fact that what we know so far doesnt paint is as being anything amazing. Rumor has it that it might also have a joystick and tilt sensor, but they're just that, rumors atp.

Unless I'm missing the point you just described pretty much ever system released to date except for the Nintendo Wii.

The 3DS is a DSi, with a fuck ton more power, its backwards compatible, its "3d", whatever that means, be it like the camera/motion thing or an actual 3d screen, its... Well thats it, as far as we know. But as long as its multi-touch and has a lot more power, I could't care less to be frank.

But saying its nothing amazing makes it sound like your shocked... The DS is a HUGE thing, of course they were going to just make an enhanced, more powerful and refined one, its business 101.

I'm quite happy they didn't do soem daft new idea just yet myself, simply because now it means that stuff like ReBirth (Resi 1), Zelda TP/WW, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime and/or Metroid 2d etc, they should al be possible on this system with no major changes.

Like I said above earlier, but think about a 3dish Metroid 2 game, thats like SupeR Metroid in view, but with some amazing particle effects, fully modelled, but with the 3d style tech above. That, coupled with a map screen that I can take notes on, would be a killer app for me.

Is it possible on the DS/DSi? Yeah, of course... But maybe THATS why we havent seen it on the DS/DSi before, because they knew just how damn perfect it would be for this... You may not be excited, but Nintendo + Handhelds ALWAYS gets my juices flowing in the right ways :D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    basicly, it will film your face, see where it is located relative to the ds, and render the scene in a different angle that fits where you are looking at the screen, which makes sense for a single user device such as a portable.

It takes no extra render power to do this, only some for calculating the right angle from the camera.

example:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw[/ame]
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks interesting. I wonder if it really does have GC power. Personally the 3D aspect isn't that interesting to me, the DSI demo above doesn't look hugely fun - but there's no doubt it'll be a great machine though.
  • rawkstar
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    could be fucking cool
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I still have yet to jump on to this 3-D bandwagon...

Call me when technology reaches holograms!!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Mezz : pick up the phone !!! haha
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErfFAII_kfM[/ame]

Very likely the 3ds tech
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nintendo shall not disappoint!
  • diffa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is great news. I've been waiting since '08, that nintendo will announce the new DS.
    I think that the new DS 3DS will be like 2-4x faster that current DS and will use opengl es1.x/es2 effects. Hopefully it will be as powerfull as a iPhone 3GS (with dual views).
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    But saying its nothing amazing makes it sound like your shocked... The DS is a HUGE thing, of course they were going to just make an enhanced, more powerful and refined one, its business 101.

Actually I'm not shocked at all, I was expecting them to use this tech for the next handheld ever sense about 2 years ago when first saw the video eld just posted. I felt this was a predictable move. But that's not to say its a bad one, in fact I'm sure it'll do great when its released. But to be honest all I want is a joystick on their next handheld and I'll be happy :)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Did you know that guy who made the head tracking for wii video up there got hired by microsoft to work on NATAL? :p

Also, Im a little surprised to how few people understand how that japanese game works in the commentssection of game sites. People are hailing this as magic and are baffled! :D

I HOPE this is the 3d technology they are talking about though, you cant get more 3D than that if you ask me(avatar in 3d is still fake compared to this trick).
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This seems more like a hologram to me, then 3d?

Just saw Mezz's post.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hahah, ok, let me clarify:

By Hologram, I didn't mean an image that seems to leap out of the screen.. I'm talking totally sci-fi, where there IS no screen.. you know, like in the Jettson's or something? Where all there is is a semi-transparent image floating in front of you? And it comes from a piece of technology, but not off of a screen, however you make the trick?

Which is why my post was mostly joking... however, with the way techonology is going, I DO somewhat expect that this lifetime :P
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Mezz wrote: »
    Hahah, ok, let me clarify:

By Hologram, I didn't mean an image that seems to leap out of the screen.. I'm talking totally sci-fi, where there IS no screen.. you know, like in the Jettson's or something? Where all there is is a semi-transparent image floating in front of you? And it comes from a piece of technology, but not off of a screen, however you make the trick?

Which is why my post was mostly joking... however, with the way techonology is going, I DO somewhat expect that this lifetime :P

I think the Star Trek Holodeck is the ultimate end-goal yes.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I decided to necro a 3DS-related post instead of create a new one.

Today Nintendo announced the launch day for the 3DS in Europe and North America. (March 25th in Europe, March 27th in North America) In the U.S. the 3DS is going to retail for $250.

Anyone still going to pick one up at launch now that the price is set in stone?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Had it pre-ordered already, but nintendo didn't announce an official europe-price, and we all know what that means :P
  • PolyHertz
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    nintendo didn't announce an official europe-price, and we all know what that means :P

Yeah, sorry about that, eld. Europe and/or Australia always seem to get the shaft on game pricing. Granted, Japan is also getting a price point that is the equivalent of $50 higher than the North America price.

If anyone here is good with economics, could you explain why the game prices for the North American market always seem to be lower. With the dollar currently being so weak against the yen, I would have thought they would have hiked the price to compensate. I honestly thought the 3DS was going to land for $300.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I do expect taxes on stuff in sweden, especially this, I have no problems with that, but currently I have it pre-ordered at around 2800sek, which translates to $423, that's a roughly 70% addition to the US price.

Edit: Still, I'll apply that as homebrew-tax, because I'm going to rip that 3ds right open and use it as my multi-tasking music/sketching/interneting at the same time device.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    day one! from my experience with the system, I love it.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely excited for this, been playing DQIX the last few days on the XL and I'm also a (somewhat ashamedly, considering I'm 26 :)) huge Pokemon fan. In all honesty, I couldn't care less about the 3D, I just like the look of the improved graphics and games.

Word on the street is the PSP2 is gonna be outed next week though, so my shopping list might change.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Preordered the system. I'm really excited about using this as my replacement DS until a proper 3DS game comes out. Launch titles are pretty bare so far. Pilotwings sounds like good old fun. I would really like a Waverace too though. Ashame that's not announced.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Trust me when i say this, the 3ds looks awesome.

Oh yea, this game looks promising! ;)

http://majescoentertainment.com/news/display_news.php?id=485
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    How DARE they tease Zelda and not have it at launch... I'm so tempted but the launch line up looks really poor. No Mario game, no Layton, no Zelda, just Nintendogs and that hit or miss RE game...

Damn... Monies burning a hole :(
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, the word on the street is that it will be 230 pounds in the UK, and 250 Euros in mainland Europe. I don't think that is an official announcement, but European retailers have begun listing it at those prices. Those prices aren't as rape-tastic as most people probably thought they would be. They're probably both higher than the NA price after adjustment for current value.

I have to agree that the launch line-up is looking pretty underwhelming. It isn't a positive trend when one of the most hotly anticipated titles for your new handheld is a remake of an N64 title. I know this isn't exactly unusual. They only announced the thing last year, and the specs for the system will require that developers spend considerably more time and money on their titles than they did for the DS.

The 3DS will probably ride high in its first year thanks to the novelty and the legacy of the original DS. But I'm not certain it will have staying power. The DS got so much developer support because it was cheap and easy to develop for, and the graphical expectations on it were so low. Developers could make inexpensive games for it and still appeal to a wide audience with unique touch-screen controls. Thanks to the iPhone, touchscreen controls have become almost commonplace. The 3DS is going to have to rely on its 3D aspects for sales. And adding more complexity to your device isn't going to sit well with developers.

I don't think the 3DS is going to bomb, or even struggle as the PSP has. But I definitely don't think it is going to live up to the success of its predecessor. I suppose this is understandable.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think the 3DS is going to bomb, or even struggle as the PSP has. But I definitely don't think it is going to live up to the success of its predecessor. I suppose this is understandable.

Awesome hardware, 3d camera, way better online, multitasking, backwards compatibility.

I think it's quite the opposite, it will probably hit quite big.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    IF it manages to get homebrew on it, then it will take off big time. Lets face it the only reason the PSP is even around is because its fantastic as a little emulator playing machine.

I agree that the only reason the DS took off so much is because the games were so much easier/cheaper to make, but then it also made sure the system was full of shovel ware, and anything that gets rid of that is a bonus in my eyes. But then you don't HAVE to make a "next gen" handheld game, you can still do simple stuff like before...

Regardless, it will take off... Its got "DS" in the title, it will print money, and even at the utterly retarded UK price point of £230, I'm eyeing mine up... Just as soon as Zelda hits. But theres no point otherwise, as the Resident Evil game just isn't doing it for me atm.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Awesome hardware, 3d camera, way better online, multitasking, backwards compatibility.

All good features, to be sure. And I imagine dedicated entertainment enthusiasts will be quite pleased with everything that the 3DS brings to the table. But those features aren't what made the original DS such a huge success.

The DS was in a neck-and-neck arms race with the PSP for its first year. It wasn't until after Nintendogs and Brain Training that the DS really started to take off. And it continued to snowball thanks to developers dawning realization that they stood to make a much better profit off of inexpensive DS development. (as opposed to the more costly PSP) And let's not forget how Nintendo's strategy for releasing inexpensive handheld hardware paid off. The 3DS will be sold for the same original price as the PSP.

This might be an instance where adding so many new features might impede the potential success of the platform. A lot of what made its predecessor so appealing and unique could be lost.

I suppose a lot of this will be affected by what the PSP2 ends up being. Sony only had one major competitor with the original PSP. Now the playing field is a LOT more crowded.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Sony could win this if they first and foremost made the best possible and easy to use devtools, and used their money to promote their platform more to developers in the way microsoft did with 360.

The titles will decide the winner.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Did anyone else see the announcement that the 3DS only has about 3-5 hour battery life? That right there preetttyyy much ruined it for me. I'm not saying I won't get one of these eventually, cause it's already mighty tempting, but if the DS taught us anything, it's to expect a million and one new and improved versions.

I'll wait til they fix the short battery life problem. ...and when I can get one in red. >.>
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I'll probably try to get it when it gets released. My normal DS has given me a good run, and I normally play my DS at home anyways so I would probably keep it plugged in most of the time.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Did anyone else see the announcement that the 3DS only has about 3-5 hour battery life? That right there preetttyyy much ruined it for me. I'm not saying I won't get one of these eventually, cause it's already mighty tempting, but if the DS taught us anything, it's to expect a million and one new and improved versions.

I'll wait til they fix the short battery life problem. ...and when I can get one in red. >.>

They say your not suppose to play the 3DS for more then a few hours anyway. So its kinda works out.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19

Nintendo said this about the DSi (9-14 hours). It depends on screen brightness, probably 3d effect maxed out, etc. I'm not super worried about this. My DSi seemed to run for closer to 14 hours if not more. Plus 4 straight hours of looking at 3d and you're eyes fall out I read.

As far as the red they're Nintendo so they'll wait till a slight dip in sales then paint it a new color and BAM! Sales increase, yeah!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Very true, but the DS was basically fixed at the DSL revision (minuse the hinge snap), it never got any better from that, there was only a the DSi and DSXL after that, and those didn't add anything to the degree that DS->DSL did.

So looking at it now the 3ds on the outside looks solid, they'll probably improve batterylife in a future (1-2 years) revision, but they won't do much to design I think.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Ah, I hadn't realized that playing in 3D for more than a few hours would turn your eyes to mush. In that case, I suppose it makes sense, and indeed does work out anyway.

Yeah, the DSL was the biggest difference. It just seemed when they came out with the DSi, and then the DSi XL, and then soon after announced a whole new DS, that there are lots of newer DS versions always coming out. I suppose that the DSi and XL were closer to the end of its life, anyway.

So yeah... I realize it'll be about a couple years til we see an improved version of this. I want to try to make it to that... unless the game selection becomes too tempting before then. Although, I know as soon as I buy one, they'll then come out with the damn colour I want!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    There is no evidence whatsoever that 3d turns your eyes to mush, not even little kids, its just the general panicking which is common these days.

Nintendo is just doing what they did with the photosenstive nonsense which only effects a very few people(tiny tiny tiny proportion) and they would already likely be aware through other means.

Its just trying to avoid them being sued and appearing to look all responsible and such.