Home General Discussion

New 3D Nintendo portable announced: Nintendo 3DS

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think the 3DS is going to totally kick ass, my wife and I are both really looking forward to it, and I'm fine with the $250 price tag.

But...

Not going to be getting one at launch. Black and blue? That's it? As much as the system is being hyped partially because of it's personal customizability, you'd think there'd be more than just black and blue at launch...but...that'll come with time, I'm sure.

So yeah, I'll be waiting. Give me more time to put away some extra cash while we wait for a new version/color anyway.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Two Listen wrote: »
    But...
    As much as the system is being hyped partially because of it's personal customizability

wow, really? I've been following it pretty closely and I've never heard anything about personal customizability. since when did nintendo launch ANY system with a plethora of colors? they usually start with 1-2 colors then have more available as the system's sales start to wain, it's part of their strategy.

I'm just glad there's black at launch this time, unlike with the DS.

though.. that purple looked MIGHTY sexy.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Also sometimes they will release special colors for certain game releases, like I believe they normally have a pink colored handheld normally released as a bundle with a new kirby game or as a contest prize or something.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not buying launch Nintendo handhelds anymore. In about a year there will be the 3DSLite that has like 200% more battery life, a bigger screen, more internal memory, 5D, a spoon, umbrella, and whatever the hell else Nintendo felt the need not to put in the launch version of the hardware.

You won't fool me again Nintendo! *shakes fist*
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    bounchfx wrote: »
    wow, really? I've been following it pretty closely and I've never heard anything about personal customizability.

I read it in some interviews awhile back around when this was all first announced. They started that sort of thing with the DSi - you know, web browsers, chatting it up with people, etc. But they're doing a lot more of it with the 3DS (reportedly). Obviously you've got your online store stuff, web browser, things of that nature - but I'd read that they were really aiming for the 3DS to feel like it was yours, and that there were a lot of ways to try and give it that personal feeling. Mii compatability, further social options/pictures, tracking of the games you play (and presumably, games your friends play through a Mii system - possibly?) - all that sort of shit. Don't you remember that commercial that first came out for the 3DS? Where they're all walking around and their 3DS systems are magically saying hello to eachother as they walk by, or whatever - and the girl keeps it on her nightstand as she sleeps because she loves it so much?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1F4FdhxUfY"]3DS Commercial[/ame]

Maybe customizability wasn't the right word, but it seems like it's supposed to have a more varied and personal/social feeling to it than just something you sit and play pokemon on.

Which frankly I don't really care about all too much, I just want my damn color options.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I still have the original DS picked up at launch. Would have loved a 3DS but they pre-sold out in 5 seconds. I imagine it will be that way for about a year, like it was with the DS. You couldn't find a new one for love or money.

So will probably settle for a DSi LL even though I can't run the homebrew card on it, still have loads of cracking games.

DS games are being sold off like the plague here now. $9 for a major title new.

This small fact isn't so great though: Regional lockout for 3DS software between Japan, America and Europe/Australia.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Lol Hawken, last time I was japan I remember it was during christmas 2007. Was pretty crazy, mom's lining up everywhere just to get a numbered ball for a lucky draw...to win a DS Lite (which was launched a year before).

Can't imagine what it must be like for the 3DS right now XD
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    I still have the original DS picked up at launch. Would have loved a 3DS but they pre-sold out in 5 seconds.

I'm not sure how much of this article will still be relevant since it's been a few days now, and I also don't know how much of the article is exaggerated for the sake of people living outside of Japan, but may be of some help?

http://kotaku.com/5738523/how-to-get-hot-hardware-like-the-3dseasy
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Ah yes I heard about Brians technique there over twitter. I did this for the iPhone launch. Just popped into the local phone shop near my office at the time.

I'll be ordering a US model though I guess.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    http://m.kotaku.com/5920420/nintendo-announces-a-new-bigger-3ds

Much bigger screen, but probably the same processor, so the jaggies in 3D will be even worse. If that's not the case and they fixed the DS emulation, I'd be down. Don't need the second stick so much.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    You'll still need to buy an AC adapter since none is included with the new 3ds xl. No clue how you'll charge the bloody thing without one.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    It actually comes with the AC adapter in the US.

Think the biggest problem is no change in resolution, so I feel like lots of games might look pretty bad on the new screen. I could be wrong though. The price doesn't seem so bad though considering better battery life and it comes with a 4GB SD card.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I charge whatever I can by USB.

I'm only worried about the craptastic screen/visuals. No use throwing bigger inches at us Nintendo!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch, that resolution is going to hurt at 4.88 inches. Going jumbo size works for the original DS because most games were in 2d. Not sure if it's going to look good this time..
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Bah. Bought a 3DS two days ago and they're already announcing a new one.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    Bah. Bought a 3DS two days ago and they're already announcing a new one.

The only difference is that it's bigger, but it's entirely possible you enjoyed the DSXL over the regular one :P
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there an Animal Crossing for 3ds yet? I'd buy it if that was on it
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    The only difference is that it's bigger, but it's entirely possible you enjoyed the DSXL over the regular one :P

To be fair, the screen on the 3ds is pretty small.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I love my 3DS but I'm not sure about the XL, I kind of like it but I've got reservations. I must admit the screen on the 3DS does seem very little next to the Vita (or some of the larger smartphone screens).

I had the DSi XL which was amazing, the bigger screens didn't seem to hurt the res too badly, and I loved the larger size.

I'm going to be very interested to see how good/bad the resolution is on the larger display,
    though, that will make or break the purchase for me.

@JimmyPopali - yeah Animal Crossing is out this fall in Japan, no word on the rest of the world yet but I would imagine it'll be Q1/Q2 2013.

I'm still hoping for an EU MH Tri release though...

EDIT: £179.99 with a £199.99 RRP?!!!!! Interesting exchange rate from the $199 US price.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    To be fair, the screen on the 3ds is pretty small.

This is where I should mention that the gameboy micro is my favorite nintendo console.

gameboy_micro1.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    I'm still holding out for a dual stick version. I do hope they make one soon, I've got games to play!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still holding out for a dual stick version. I do hope they make one soon, I've got games to play!

The day they do that they split the hardware in two different ones the developers will have to support, it'll hurt them more than the lack of a second one.

Consider that they dominated the last round of portables with NO stick, when their main competitor actually had one.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    eld wrote: »
    The day they do that they split the hardware in two different ones the developers will have to support, it'll hurt them more than the lack of a second one.

Consider that they dominated the last round of portables with NO stick, when their main competitor actually had one.
    That's true, I'm just still sad that they didn't do it in the first place. I'll get a 3DS eventually, I'll have to wait till there are more PAL games out, region locks are a pain.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    That's true, I'm just still sad that they didn't do it in the first place. I'll get a 3DS eventually, I'll have to wait till there are more PAL games out, region locks are a pain.

Absolutely, they should've done it in the first place, but for now consistency is more important for the sake of retaining customers, games are what are needed now!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://kotaku.com/5921563/first-3ds-xl-hands+on-previews-report-improved-3d-clear-graphics

Hmm.... if they get the graphics (3D and DS 2D) right, this could be a good purchase.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Now I want one.

Ridiculous that the UK bundle doesn't come with a power adapter. So now I either have to sell my 3DS without the adapter, or buy a separate one and support this stupidity.

I love how they suggest it's because 'the appeal will be to existing owners who will already have a power supply'. Yeah right, is that why it fits in the dock for the original too? Oh wait.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Ridiculous that the UK bundle doesn't come with a power adapter.

Wait, what?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, to keep costs down, some territories will not have a bundled AC adaptor. I always charge my shit by USB anyway. But at least it has a bigger battery!

I would hold off on getting excited TeeJay, I'm still wary. We would spot horrific aliasing in 3D mode way before some games reporter.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I don't get these XL models. The appeal for me with hand helds is that they are small. The original form factor's seem perfect to me. Can't fit the XL's in my pocket and they ain't easy to carry outside home. But I suppose they make sense for around the house...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Andreas wrote: »
    Yes, to keep costs down, some territories will not have a bundled AC adaptor. I always charge my shit by USB anyway. But at least it has a bigger battery!

I would hold off on getting excited TeeJay, I'm still wary. We would spot horrific aliasing in 3D mode way before some games reporter.

Wait, so you can charge the 3DS with USB?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Shame that it doesn't have the second stick and back buttons built in, otherwise it would have been a day one for me. But at least they fixed those TERRIBLE buttons under the bottom screen.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    odium wrote: »
    Shame that it doesn't have the second stick and back buttons built in, otherwise it would have been a day one for me. But at least they fixed those TERRIBLE buttons under the bottom screen.

I know, every time I hit either Start or Home I feel like im going to end up breaking the thing. I am worried it will make the graphics look odd stretching the screen though.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    They haven't "stretched" it, they just resized it. So yeah, it will appear more pixelated, but the 3ds had quite a nice pixel density anyway so it shouldn't look too bad.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    odium wrote: »
    the 3ds had quite a nice pixel density anyway

The 3DS screens (individually) are lower resolution then the 7 year old PSP.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Wait, so you can charge the 3DS with USB?

I can't remember actually, been ages since I owned one. I just assumed, like you can do with most other devices. This thing better have USB charging if they aren't shipping with a charger.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Huge bump here, but Nintendo is selling hugely discounted refurbished 3DS consoles right now. Regular 3DS is $95 and the 3DS XL is $135.

Also, you can grab a Wii U Deluxe Nintendo Land bundle for $200 refurbished from them as well.

I think the 3DS is worth the money, I was hesitant at first but I've been having so much fun for the last week since I got my console and some games. It might be refurbished but it looks and feels brand new.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Ohh thanks for the heads up there!