Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kids with guns!-Character and weapon modeling WIP

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
awesome welles polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys im brand new to posting on polycount, ive been spying on work here for a while and there is some amazing artist's on here so ive decided id like to upload some of my own to hope it meets the cut.

Replies

• awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A character im working on for a game project at university named millie

ynU9C.jpg
    KyAh6.jpg

and her revolver textured

vwwiQ.jpg
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Aaaah, there we go. I was afraid this UDK project wasn't going to pull through;)
    Keep it up, I like the style. Crits wise, the texture on the gun could use a bit more love, especially those couple of big bright red planes that look untextured.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    i actually really like the gun the way it is :) i guess it just depends what you are going for but yeah it's awesome :)
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys :) this is a WIP thread so everything here is unfinnished and subject to change but yes the revolver ist finnished yet but its not to far of, thr style is hopfully going to be a tf2 style with alot more realism to the texturing hopfully

and here is the little girls bear when millie gets upset,or hurt

OKb6w.jpg

inside the girls bag and with a little hat on :)

4OTX3.jpg
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    This is a awesome idea, keep up the work!
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a awesome idea, keep up the work!

thanks matey im happy theres been nothing but postive so far i expected it to get torn apart :)
    thanks guys
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm digging the revolver, keep working at it though. The textures need more work.

Keep at it.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    @awesome welles
    You expect a thorn apart comments?..so here goes..
    The gun texture doesn't really looks like a metal with the red/ white color you have currently, so shiny and smooth, looks like a brand new toy plastic gun. You can of course put some nice scratches in some place in the diffuse texture and a lot of scratches on the spec. At least give it a little bit out "rough" feeling to it. And for me a bright textured color gun is not a good idea, some people manage to control it to have a nice combination, but still I wouldn't recommend.

Legs looks too square-ish right now, smooth it out a bit make it more rounder. Probably the hands too. But I'm not too sure about kid's proportion, haven't done a good study on that so hopefully other people can give you comments on that.

Judging from her appearance, she looks like gonna have a heavy gunfight with all the spare ammo and a double clip on the SMG gun that she has attached to her back pack, it's not a practical things to have her wearing a skirt. Give her a short pants instead and probably wear a bicycle helmet too (for protection, she wear the knee pad already..safety first! :))

Mr.Beasx is too shiny, too. Do a bit of research first about the fur texture. It shouldh't have a tight hot spot like that on a furry surface. Also it looks like you wasted a lot of polygons there, the "Before ZBrush" stage is enough if you play around with some smoothing groups. But the bear's shoulder topology need some tweaks.

There you have it.
    Overall, I like the concept of having cute-rough elements on 1 piece of work, interesting thought. Looking forward for this! Cheers.

_Revel
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel wrote: »
    @awesome welles
    You expect a thorn apart comments?..so here goes..
    The gun texture doesn't really looks like a metal with the red/ white color you have currently, so shiny and smooth, looks like a brand new toy plastic gun. You can of course put some nice scratches in some place in the diffuse texture and a lot of scratches on the spec. At least give it a little bit out "rough" feeling to it. And for me a bright textured color gun is not a good idea, some people manage to control it to have a nice combination, but still I wouldn't recommend.

Legs looks too square-ish right now, smooth it out a bit make it more rounder. Probably the hands too. But I'm not too sure about kid's proportion, haven't done a good study on that so hopefully other people can give you comments on that.

Judging from her appearance, she looks like gonna have a heavy gunfight with all the spare ammo and a double clip on the SMG gun that she has attached to her back pack, it's not a practical things to have her wearing a skirt. Give her a short pants instead and probably wear a bicycle helmet too (for protection, she wear the knee pad already..safety first! :))

Mr.Beasx is too shiny, too. Do a bit of research first about the fur texture. It shouldh't have a tight hot spot like that on a furry surface. Also it looks like you wasted a lot of polygons there, the "Before ZBrush" stage is enough if you play around with some smoothing groups. But the bear's shoulder topology need some tweaks.

There you have it.
    Overall, I like the concept of having cute-rough elements on 1 piece of work, interesting thought. Looking forward for this! Cheers.

_Revel

thank you so much ive been after some brilliant crit like that for a while cheers for taking the time ill be taking on board alot of those things to fix but the gun is supposed to be a nerf plastic gun thats abit stylised so its kinda good it looks like a kids gun :)

thanks again
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a quick update on the retopped face the textures are pretty standard and the eyes are really not good they are getting completley redone tonight pretty much

sNkdT.jpg

and the back

4Ck0A.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    The eyes wasn't that bad, apply some spec and gloss to it, it should looks ok for start point. Another thing you can do at this point is to make the top lips more darker than the lower. Owh, and darker eye bags too please, heheh...

_Revel
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel wrote: »
    The eyes wasn't that bad, apply some spec and gloss to it, it should looks ok for start point. Another thing you can do at this point is to make the top lips more darker than the lower. Owh, and darker eye bags too please, heheh...

_Revel

thanks mate yer ive still got long way to go this is by no means finnished :P
    but thatnks for the tips on the lips thats a good idea
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a quick update on the little girl shes missing assets but the main body is almost in beta stage texturing the eyes still need vast amounts of work to them

and the bear is extremley rough still but all to gether this is just over 8k polys
    52khN.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol collin's bear
  • awesome welles
  • Pedro Amorim
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think the face and the bear are too similar in color, you might want to change one of those colors, or find another way to separate the girl's face from the bear more.
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick texture update on the bear alot to do to him yet very rough guideline of what he might look like
    put some hair on him aswell

MwcNR.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update all of the body is cleaned up and rebaked apart from the legs hands, eyes and the belts wich im going through at the moment any words would be appreciated

front
    7z5GE.jpg

back
    cNUAA.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres some ingame renders of the low poly all textured up with a simple light set up

95icy.jpg

zw5oX.jpg

RsqU6.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a quick update this is all one mesh and the polycount is 4.812k
    with one 2k texture
    c8AHi.jpg

g1IF5.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    The texture update is definitely an improvement! Looking a lot more ready for game action. Are there any plans on making the bears body actually reach the backpack as of now i'm sure you've noticed it's just floating :). Also I feel the bears arms lack muscle definition, they look like flimsy tubes.
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks very much mate :)
    yer the bear will very soon be in the pack once they are both rigged but at the moment i have some more things to add/clean up and i cant rig it yet.

yer i want him to kind of be abit kiddyish still beacuase he starts as a stuffed bear and changes much like peter puppy into a huge monster, i tried concepting him with massive defined arms and it looked really odd
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also here is an update with the bear and her guns the tek 9 isnt textured yet

VZGXX.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Haha love the blood splatter idea!..but for now it looks like the placement a bit random, and the one on her face looks like her mom kissed her with a thick lipstick and she try to erase the lips mark..but sadly cannot lol

_Revel
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good, it reminds me of this boss character:

Incantation%20Samurai.gif
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking cool man I like the idea, cheers !
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right here is a proper update the spec map has finnally been sorted out also does anyone know how to make eyes look more lifelike in the udk or in marmoset or both
    gQPZx.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also thank you guys for the kind words :)

oh and revel the blood is definatly going to be redone its just a simple painting for abit untill i finnish making my brushes
  • ıomeen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The girls anatomy looks absolutely wrong. At least fix the face.
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iomeen i need abit more detailed response than "fix the face" its meant to be almost like pixar but abit dirtier kind of style but then its our own style also shes about 4-6 years old at the moment so the head would be large but any more detailed ideas i will change..also you kind came in abit to late this is the final mesh changing stuff is going to be difficult
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick lighting update
    f66rx.jpg
  • ıomeen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iomeen i need abit more detailed response than "fix the face" its meant to be almost like pixar but abit dirtier kind of style but then its our own style also shes about 4-6 years old at the moment so the head would be large but any more detailed ideas i will change..also you kind came in abit to late this is the final mesh changing stuff is going to be difficult

Google kids faces and bodies. Stylized is not an excuse for doing things wrong.
    Just wanted to tell you that it's still looking pretty wrong, because nobody else did. Sorry, got no time for more detailed comments and I'm too late anyway as you said.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I feel like your textures can use a lot of work, especially the gun, it looks more like plastic than metal. On top of that the skin is very uniform, and it needs a spec map, It would be beneficial to show some wires so we could crit the geo but as it stands right now she doesn't look like she has any elbows, which will make deformation extremely difficult/shitty.
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right then here is an update on this thread of a new character for the game the second out of the 4, split between me and the other character artist for the game.

but at the moment this is the stage i am at with him. here is the heavy weapons kid for the game who is at the moment just called "fat kid"

heres the concept
    im not much for concept art but im trying to get better
    bRHGb.jpg

and here's the sculpt up to now still figuring out exactly how to dress him with what assets any crit or ideas for assets would be appreciated
    WM3CD.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little update of a gun for the fat kid
    crits welcome :)
    the bag is very much not finnished on the mag its just a quick 10 min sculpt to show where the material is

igQDm.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right then been super busy recently so alot of this has been redone and retextured but the only thing left to do on the girl is the arms the head has been "fixed" :P

but yer what you guys think of it
    wTLlD.jpg
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    The head of the little girl is looking much better.

To get more life-like eyes, you need to add shadowing and tone down the super white you have going on them right now. You also need the color variation and different tones in the iris. Right now the irises on your characters are almost a solid color. The iris is indented into the surface of the eye, and catches light that changes its color - not to mention the natural color variations that occur.

You need to add more color to the skin tones too.

And I am sorry to say, but the texture pattern on the boy's pants won't work - look at what happens to it when the image is shrunk - you get a strobing effect, just as you would at a distance in game.
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry about this ive got two threads going at once but yer my teammate mentioned that it wouldnt work but its easy changable

and as for the eyes we havnt decided on a style or method for making the eyes yet so i just aded blobs of colour for now as to not waste time throwing images at it till something sticks

but thank you for your crit :)
  • Naz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naz polycounter lvl 7
    Looking well nice Rob, haven't seen updates on this for a while, love what I'm seeing :) The only suggestion I can give is about the bear, theres a bit to much specular on hes body compared to the girl? Unless hes made out of plastic or if thats the style your going for then yeh cool. And also giving the girls Eye lashes would define her face better I think :P but thats personal preferences, looking great so far mate.
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick zombie sculpt about 2 hours work the facial rot detail is very standard mainly after crit on the shape and form of the face and weather it fits the style :)

thanks
    SVB5q.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zombie update:)
    ojIaL.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little update body is done and the model is 5,205

zEULT.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    comped them all together
    put some emmisive on the eyes of the zombie
    hZmMq.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update in my team mate dayle hodgsons level
    tJNkY.jpg
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://vimeo.com/24277104

this is pretty much the final trailer for zombie rush

well havnt posted in a while but this is what me, dayle hodgson scott joyce and chris milo have been working on its pretty much finnished now :D
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    slightly off topic, but I have a game design called "Kids with Guns" though its a completely different style from this, when I saw the title of the topic I was like "WTF!?" XD
    Regardless nice models :P
  • awesome welles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man that sucks i know that feeling its happened to me alot

all that aside thanks for the kind words
    id like to see your style on your version its nice to see same ideas taken in completely different routes