Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ballroom UDK

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
luck6 polycounter lvl 10
Hey you guys,

Just wanna post some new work.
See if you like it and feedback is welcome.
It's a school dance game project.

ballroom_by_luck6-d36qjkb.jpg

ballroom01_by_luck6-d36qjp3.jpg

ballroom02_by_luck6-d36qjqo.jpg

ballroom03_by_luck6-d36qjry.jpg

Replies

• Builder_Anthony
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Really cool style, I like it. It'd be cool to see some more visual interest in the center of the room, maybe some kind of story told that way. What time period is this set in? It might be cool to have some band equipment on stage or the like. Also, the chandelier is a little hard to see, maybe it could be scaled up or its tones more saturated or otherwise made to stand out.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's very repetitive - all the elements along the side are obvious instances of each other... vary the textures a bit, make the paintings different, make the emblem every other balcony, add decals here and there, etc. The curtains you should probably model a couple versions of, some closed, some opened in different ways to break up the repetition also.

As for the lighting, I feel the yellow really washes out your colors - it feels like a very vibrant place, but the oversaturated yellow dulls it down. Also, the skybox outside clashes a bit - my gut preference would put it at night, but it could also be nice if you brighten it up and get some god rays streaming in :)

You've also got a hole in the geo in the third picture.

Great work though - really captured an elegant feel
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    S2Engine wrote: »
    Really cool style, I like it. It'd be cool to see some more visual interest in the center of the room, maybe some kind of story told that way. What time period is this set in? It might be cool to have some band equipment on stage or the like. Also, the chandelier is a little hard to see, maybe it could be scaled up or its tones more saturated or otherwise made to stand out.

The time period is 18 century ballroom.

The level is for a dancegame. So i don't think i can put alot of probs in the centre.
    But maybe i can decorate the sides?

I will see what i can do with the chandelier. :)
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Perhaps it's a little too pink/red. You could desurate the scene a little in post process.
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    Contrails wrote: »
    It's very repetitive - all the elements along the side are obvious instances of each other... vary the textures a bit, make the paintings different, make the emblem every other balcony, add decals here and there, etc. The curtains you should probably model a couple versions of, some closed, some opened in different ways to break up the repetition also.

As for the lighting, I feel the yellow really washes out your colors - it feels like a very vibrant place, but the oversaturated yellow dulls it down. Also, the skybox outside clashes a bit - my gut preference would put it at night, but it could also be nice if you brighten it up and get some god rays streaming in :)

You've also got a hole in the geo in the third picture.

Great work though - really captured an elegant feel

Your right about the repetitive of the level. But i don't know what i can do about it. Because I want to keep it ellegant. So i don't want to put some curtains down. It would seem a bit odd in a "perfect" ballroom. So what do you suggest to break the rep but keep the clean elegant look.

I can expirement some more with some different light settings. I will post some updates.

and the third image has a very hi speclevel. So it's all white :P
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Could just be me, but I love the curtain at the end, was that sculpted or simulated?
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 14
    I think there's a lot you can do with the lighting in this area, you could start by turning down the oranges and introducing the blue hue coming from the windows which could also cast some more interesting shadows on the ball floor.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 wrote: »
    The time period is 18 century ballroom.

The level is for a dancegame. So i don't think i can put alot of probs in the centre.
    But maybe i can decorate the sides?

I will see what i can do with the chandelier. :)

Yeah you could decorate the sides, there're always those chairs for people to rest in, maybe you could even add a long table with a fancy cloth and a bunch of covered dishes and silverware for hors d'oevres and drinks. I still think it would be cool to open up the stage and put the orchestral equipment up there - chairs, music stands, perhaps a few instruments even.
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    snow wrote: »
    Could just be me, but I love the curtain at the end, was that sculpted or simulated?

Yes, I'm surprised how nice they turened out. It's just a simple plane with only verticle edges. No simulations or sculpting only a noise filter that only effects the Y axis. And I put in one horizontal edge to give it the drape effect at the end. But the dynamic lights really make it look good.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is beautiful :)

Well done man :)
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    :O more details on that noise filter.

Good job!
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    Here is a update on the chandelier.
    It seems that the cristals didn't had any spec.
    So now they will stand out:P.
    Maybe a little to much?

anyways i found some holes in the roof i need to fix
    more detail on the lighting tweeking coming up

testst.jpg
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 14
    Definitely stands out much more now but I think it could do with a bit more of a sparkle that you would expect from the glass like this http://i.ytimg.com/vi/w96tPL29J0Q/0.jpg try adding more contrast to the specular, that should give you the sparkle.
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    update with light setting

don't know about the light settings
    chandalier seems dope though
    what do you guys think?

testyr.jpg
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a really nice scene. I preferred the previous lighting setup though.

I agree with you that breaking up the repetition would take away from the ambience of the room, as the style and elegance of architecture like this comes from repetition. If you wanted to add variety I wouldn't change the existing elements but add further little touches.

Small paintings between the lamps would add a variety of different colour touches along the wall. As a suggestion in keeping with your theme, character portraits in ovular frames would suit it I think.
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
  • MEGALOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MEGALOS polycounter lvl 9
    Stunning work.... no other words to say..
  • jocose
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jocose's video is perfect for so many reasons. For me most importantly though is the contrast in the lighting - the dark blues/purples in the sky really help make the interior pop more, and I think by having your scene with such heavy pinks it kinda kills that. Even if you want it to be more of a daytime or early evening scene, make some changes to the interior so there's contrast.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    really cool scene. I also prefer the previous lighting scheme though. It's really washed out as it is.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I really like what you've done so far, Luck6. Very nice work indeed.

If it's a school dance, you could probably get some more varied detail and colour going in there with some decorations that have been hung up especially - maybe some bunting or streamers, an inexpertly painted hanging banner, balloons, streamers. That kinda stuff.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    That looks like a great way to make curtains - I'm going to steal it.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I personally prefer the first set of lighting, the new one feels too purple and doesnt shine and pop.

Reeeally reminds me of the opera house in the last season of Battlestar Galactica :) Thought it was that until i read what you wrote!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    First light setup is way better. Way more contrast.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Get some reflection on that wood top open this space up!
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    S2Engine wrote: »
    Jocose's video is perfect for so many reasons. For me most importantly though is the contrast in the lighting - the dark blues/purples in the sky really help make the interior pop more, and I think by having your scene with such heavy pinks it kinda kills that. Even if you want it to be more of a daytime or early evening scene, make some changes to the interior so there's contrast.

I tried to give the scene more contrast by giving the chandeliers a smaller radius. But big pieces where left in the dark. So the room needs a bright chandelier to brighten up the place. I also don't know if introducing a new color to my pallet is a way to make more contrast.
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    Everyone who thinks the bright scene with bloom trough the windows is the way to go.
    Fote 1

Everyone who thinks the purple/blue scene with high contrast is the way to go.
    Fote 2
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    adam wrote: »
    Get some reflection on that wood top open this space up!

aye looks perfect for some oldskool reflection mapping (ie alpha floor and flipped geometry.... this method can provide lovely results as you can stylise the underside geometry to just provide vague shapes and push values such as brightness and even blur the reflections somewhat with clever use of alpha and textures so that say the props and pillar bases can be nice and sharpe while the roof can be nicely blurred

like this
    ballroom.jpg
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Wow! Nice, I would really like to have closer look at the chandelier and how u did the textures for them. Nice scene! Really great to see something like this here.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Use less saturated lighting, currently it takes away all the detail in your materials.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the noise tute! =]
  • Mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind triangle

testst.jpg

This lighting is so much better!!
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind wrote: »
    This lighting is so much better!!

Yeah, agreed with Mind. I saw you were trying to try out the contrasty route luck6, but I think it would've needed more push in certain directions. It could be done, just would take some tweaking. Of all the images you've posted thus far I think the one Mind quoted is best.

Also seconding what Jackablade said about bunting, streamers, and an inexpertly painted banner.
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    I think i got somthing.
    I tried to get the settings from the image.
    And added the cubemap.
    this is the result atm.
    testfxg.jpg
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Now that's what I'm talking about. Keep going with this, your on the right track 4 sure.
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    karera wrote: »
    Wow! Nice, I would really like to have closer look at the chandelier and how u did the textures for them. Nice scene! Really great to see something like this here.

here you go :)

testsdc.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Those chandaleirs looks way better up close, you may consider scaling up the material so it reads better from the floor, particularly the bottom portions, the lower hemispheres just look like spheres from far away.

The wood looks a bit tiled, maybe use checkerboard tile flooring like in your reference photos? Right now the only wood in the scene is the flooring and it looks a tad out of place. The bloom also seems a bit high.

Like the scene, Your tapestry work is really selling it. Come to think of it you could throw more tris at the tapestries on the side, round them out and add some depth, they're a bit flat right now.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, it's coming along nicely. I think you may want to get some ambient occlusion near the bottom of the pillars where they meet the ground, as it looks a little empty with no shading. If you're doing Lightmass bakes, you should be able to get something nice by just going into World Properties and checking on "Use Ambient Occlusion" under the Lightmass rollout.
  • minimari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your columns feel like they are floating
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    minimari wrote: »
    Your columns feel like they are floating

the cubemap has been set under emisive
    i think it overpowers the shadows

but i have a question

is there a way to freeze a cubemap from moving?
    because my cubemap is great with reflecting all the collums
    but when i move, the whole cubemap moves
    so all the colums are miss alligned.

And also i was wondering.
    If it's posible to increase the resolution of a object lightmass?
    just like surface resolution on building blocks
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work man, and love the new direction with the lighting.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    that lighting looks so much better then before
    Are you just lighting with emissive? cause there are no shadows to ground those columns
    lookin good though keep it up
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the cubemap has been set under emisive
    i think it overpowers the shadows

but i have a question

is there a way to freeze a cubemap from moving?
    because my cubemap is great with reflecting all the collums
    but when i move, the whole cubemap moves
    so all the colums are miss alligned.

And also i was wondering.
    If it's posible to increase the resolution of a object lightmass?
    just like surface resolution on building blocks

if you follow my suggestion and add the bottom section of the map flipped underneath the floor (alphad out as it goes up/down) then add four sections of the cube map to a flipped skydome... you should be able to get somethinkg much more similar to the image (flipped characters and props to can be done) also adding some refraction to the floor an a normal map can stop the image being too perfect
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    if you follow my suggestion and add the bottom section of the map flipped underneath the floor (alphad out as it goes up/down) then add four sections of the cube map to a flipped skydome... you should be able to get somethinkg much more similar to the image (flipped characters and props to can be done) also adding some refraction to the floor an a normal map can stop the image being too perfect

Do you mean duplicating the whole level underneath, so you play the level with dubble the amount of polys?

or just a way to create a better cubemap.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so much better !! ill keep an eye out for this.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Do you mean duplicating the whole level underneath, so you play the level with dubble the amount of polys?

or just a way to create a better cubemap.
    YOu shouldn't need to duplicate the entire map for Shep's technique. GIven that the floor doesn't have a mirror finish, you should be fine to just have the geometry that's close to the surface of the floor that then fades out with vertex alpha. That's how I'd deal with it anyway.
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    hmmm I found this site obout reflection
    I think this can help.
    http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=733910
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    YOu shouldn't need to duplicate the entire map for Shep's technique. GIven that the floor doesn't have a mirror finish, you should be fine to just have the geometry that's close to the surface of the floor that then fades out with vertex alpha. That's how I'd deal with it anyway.

bang on then just a kindoff box or dome with a blurry version of the roof/walls behind that