Home General Discussion

PC Cookbook

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    bbob wrote: »
    The longer you cook it, the better it gets methinks, especially if you have a couple of hours and some gullasch meat instead of ground meat.. yum yum

definitely. Slow cook that bitch up and serve with garlic bread also dont forget the tabasco. :thumbup: (except for the gullasch part, dont know what that is but is it beef chunks?)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    A friend of mine from RSE started a food blog a few months back. I really dig it. He's been getting some local press on it too.

http://brains4brunch.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/brainsforbrunch
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    super simple Tzatziki recipe... (yeah there's zillions of them, but this one works rather well for me)

- 1 x cucumber
    - half liter of greek yoghurt (or plain yoghurt and some sour cream)
    - salt
    - vinegar
    - garlic & a garlic press

get about half a liter of greek yoghurt... now this is sometimes hard to get, so you can substitute with a mix of plain yoghurt and a bit of sour cream.

get a cucumber - peel it and use it on one of those things to make shredded cheese -> voila, shredded cucumber.

now comes the funny part...wash your hands, grab the cucumber shreds and press out all the water! you want to get them as dry as possible or else your Tzatziki will be watery.

add the cucumber to the yoghurt. There's no set rule for the cucumber to yoghurt ratio. Even in Greece this is quite flexible. But there should be always more yoghurt than cucumber.

Add half a coffee spoon full of salt. Add a coffee spoon full of vinegar. Some people also add a bit of lemon. If this is your first time making Tzatziki, add a bit less - you can always add more later.

Use the garlic press on the garlic (the garlic press is absolutely essential here!!!) and use as much garlic as you like. I've encountered Tzatziki from eye watering spicy to really mild when it comes to garlic.

Now stir everything together and taste.
    If it's too sweet or bland, add a bit more salt and vinegar/lemon. Be careful to not make it too salty or vinegary.

Cover it and put it in the fridge for 24 hours so the yoghurt can take on the taste of the garlic and cucumbers.

Serve slightly chilled.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Ah Tzatziki, the best dip since Humous.

I've already had some today and this has made me want more..

As for the mince for chilli, definately needs cooking for at least 40mins :poly121:. Something we do is make a lot of spaghetti bolognaise, then for another meal it's just a case of adding kidney beans and spices to turn it into chilli.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    definitely. Slow cook that bitch up and serve with garlic bread also dont forget the tabasco. :thumbup: (except for the gullasch part, dont know what that is but is it beef chunks?)

yep but you could also take a whole chunk of meat and rip it apart once done, will take even longer then
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Wanted to add one of my favorite recipies, while it might be a bit pricier than the other fine feasts, I enjoy making this for myself when it's a special occasion

Salmon steaks with pasta and spicy sauce

Ingredients:
    (for 1 person)

1 Salmon steak pref. with the skin on.
    200-300g of Spinach pasta(you know, the green ribbon pasta).
    ½-1 can of mashed tomatoes.
    ½ Green pebber
    1 Garlic
    1/3-½ Onion
    Basil
    Olive oil.
    Your favorite hot spice, I love to use a mixture between chilli and tabasco

Equiptment
    1 medium sized pan
    1 medium sized pot.

Instructions

Start by chopping up the green pebber and onion until the chunks are very small and mix that in a bowl with your mashed tomatoes. Squeeze out the garlic into the bowl and hit it with a bit of olive oil or wine vinegar and put in hot spice(I like my spicyness to be subtle, so I wont use that much).
    Put the pot on the stove and let it boil there on a medium tempeture(The longer you let it be on the stove, the better, if I'm in a hurry I usually let it sit there for 10-15 min).
    (Boil your pasta simotanously while frying your salmon, since different pastas have different cooking time, you'll have to refer to the package it was in)
    When the sauce is ready, heat up your pan and add a modest ammount of olive oil. Take your salmon steak and season it a bit with salt and pebber(I've also used oregano, paprika before) and put in on the pan for around ~6 minutes pr. side depending on how thick it is.
    When the pasta is done, spread it out on a dish and pour the sauce over it. At this point I will chop up some basil and add it over it, place the salmon steak on top of it all and eat small pieces of it with the sauce and pasta.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    SimonT wrote: »
    poor_knight.jpg

Isn't that just "Eggy Bread"?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    i got a quick one...

put 1/3 of flour, 1/3 of suger and 1/3 of melted butter together and you got some really tasty dough...

you can bake it, too, but i love it raw...
    thats "streusel", only god knows what you call it :)

its good if you have the urge to eat something candy like, but stores are closed!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    yes it's just eggy bread + spice + hot but i love it :) yummi! It's not just egg + bread - the bread is totally soaked of bread! That's more cool than just drop an finished egg to a bread!
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    try adding some milk to the egg before soaking the bread full of it, also try it with a bit of sugar for the salty version and if you wanna do a sweet version, sugar, cinnamon and a bit of salt, yummy
  • Mogster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beat Egg and milk dip bread in then stick in a nice hot pan makes French toast yummy. now thats good food on the cheap :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Omalette

ingredients:
    2 Eggs
    knob of butter/margerine

optional ingredients:
    bacon
    cheese
    tomato
    mushrooms
    whatever you like really...

how to cook:
    whisk the eggs until they're a light yellow, with no streaks of clearness or orange.
    chop other ingredients into small squares/grate cheese.
    fry off the ingredients for 3-5 minutes, then leave to rest in a bowl
    melt knob of butter in a shallow frying pan, allow to sizzle. pan must be HOT, no low heat for this, the egg needs to cook fast.
    pour in the egg, and then angle the pan in circles with your wrist until there's a small coating of egg around the bottom.
    sprinkle on ingredients
    using a flat, METAL (plastic doesn't work) spatula, fold the egg onto itself.

place omalette onto plate.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Neox wrote: »
    yep but you could also take a whole chunk of meat and rip it apart once done, will take even longer then

sounds damn good. Man I need to find that recipe for hummus I got from the web. SOO GOOD>
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    awesome and so simple as well, i love it, when i'm in london which was often lately i always eat a lot of that stuff, sooo great

basicly its

chickpeas canned or dried, canned lowers prep time to just blending

tahini/sesame paste - half of the mass of the chickpeas

lemons, the more you take the more fluid and well sour it gets, if you don't like it sour, take a bit of water

garlic as you like, usually i take 1 for 100g of chickpeas

:edit: forgot about the spices

usually i take cumin, chili, curry, salt and a bit of pepper, but some people might like it really natural so i often end up letting other spice themselves :edit:

now i'm not sure what the right word is, red bell pepper? the spice stuff, not normal pepper not chili, in german its a powder called paprika but its more for the decoration, i don't blend it in just make a bit of a red film on top, also a thin layer of decorative oliveoil is great and helps the taste a bit without beeing too prominent

but as always its a matter of taste, if you don't like sesame, take less tahini, if you don't like sour take less lemon and exchange some with water, its not like cooking made from strict rules you can improvize a hell lot, add roasted onions for instance, chopped fresh bellpepper, so much stuff can be done, all a matter of taste
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I cooked this on sunday, it's awesome and gives you an excuse to weave a bacon mat
    Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Sweet jesus I'm going grocery shopping.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    @Neox-for my hummus I substitute lime for lemons and add jalapenos-its very good.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Damn Good Fried Bologna

Ingredients
    -Any amount of sliced bologna
    -Salt
    -Garlic Powder
    -Mild Indian Curry
    -Cinnamon
    -Agave nectar (Or honey, but I'm not sure how that'll taste)

Cooking Instructions
    -Preheat a skillet on high heat
    -Throw on that bologna
    -Season it

Incredibly simple, yes, but it's pretty damn tasty. You could potentially add the agave nectar after cooking it, but it'll be all runny instead of kinda caramelized.
  • XenoKratios
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Dan! wrote: »
    @Neox-for my hummus I substitute lime for lemons and add jalapenos-its very good.

will try that next time!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18

=.= you polluted this wonderful thread with crap from that charlatan ! how dare you..

cant stand him or gordon
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    mmmh more hummus goodness! I approve!