oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Sweet Bacon Dogs submit by Oobersli

sweetbacon.jpg

For bacon lovers this is perfect!!

1 16 oz package of hotdogs *usually 10 hot dogs*

1 package of bacon

32oz package of brown sugar

~

Cut hot dogs into thirds. Cut each slice of bacon in half. Roll bacon around hot dog piece and stab with tooth pick!!!

Now the next part is all dependent on how sweet you want these to be.

Put 1 cup of brown sugar in the bottom of slow cooker, then put dogs in. Put another 2 cups on top of dogs. or just put the rest of the bag in. :)

Cook on high for 4 hours. Eat.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    god man that it heart attack inducing just lookin at it...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Ahh this thread is really good! Especially since I'm about to start living by myself and have to cook as cheap as possible soon :).
    (but daaaaamn you guys sure eat a lot of meat ;))
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    actually i live with a vegan so i eat as little meat as possible.... even though she says she doesnt mind me cooking it.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    You know its bad when during a meal you get the Meat Sweats.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    awww.. thats very considerate of you..If I lived with a vegan it would be comedy gold 24/7 .. and they'd move out in less than a week..
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Love me some 3 bean salad, easy to make and super cheap (vegetarian to boot, though i'm hardly one):
    BlackBeanSalad_md.jpg

Just dump 3 cans of kidney, garbonzo, and green beans in a bowl. Fill the bowl with vegetable oil and Balsalmic vinagar to taste (don't be shy, fill that sucker up).
    Chop up some onions and garlic and that's all there is to it. Use your seasoning of choice (i reccomend cavander's greek seasoning). Longer it sits in the frige the better it tastes. If the taste's a bit strong for ya, it's great as a dip too.

Very open ended recipe, you could throw any manner of veggies or cheese in there with it.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    anyone interested in baked chinese filled bread? Char siu bao, bo lo bao, etc....

Filling:

The traditional fillings are bbq pork, custard, ground curry beef, red bean paste, etc... you can find all of these recipes very easily around the web. I will detail the easy variants I tried.

You can improvise any type of filling really but it's good to prep most of them ahead of time. Also keep in mind, 1 batch of anyone of these fillings is probably good for about 16 buns:

Black pepper beef steak
    Take any cut of beef... if you want cheaper, you will need to marinate to tenderize it.

I will use sirloin because that's what I had laying around

12-14 ounce sirloin grilling steak (any beef will do, even ground/stewing/flank/rump etc)
    1/2 white onion
    black bean sauce (should be available in most larger city groceries)
    black pepper
    spicier peppers or chili sauce (the oily asian ones) (optional)
    garlic
    bit of salt
    corn starch
    up to 1 tablespoon sugar

The chinese method of tenderizing is very simple...

Slice the meat into as small pieces you can manage.
    If you are using a tougher cut, like a flank or any marinating cut, take a teaspoon of baking soda, a tablespoon of water and the black bean sauce and mix it all together in a bowl. Too much soda will leech all the flavor from the meat though.

In a hot, oiled skillet, drop your minced garlic, a bit more black bean sauce and onions and meat... stirfry it until cooked through, add a teaspoon of cornstarch to about 1/2 cup of water and break it down into a slurry. Add this mix into the skillet. The goal is to have a decently thick sauce, the thinner the harder it is to work with. Taste the sauce, it shouldn't be too bold or bitter, if it's too strong for your liking, you can lighten it with a bit of sugar.

Set that aside to cool.

Steamed black bean pork:

This was a childhood favorite, it's a traditional chinese dish usually prepared with pork riblets.

10-14 ounces any cut of pork
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon black bean sauce
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 tablespoon water

This is simple, in a stainless steel dish, mix all the ingredients, as always, break down the starch in water first to prevent chunks. You can marinate this for a few hours or not, really up to you.

Place on a steam rack in the steel dish and steam for about 10 minutes. Water should be at a roiling boil when you put it in to steam. Sauce should be reasonably thick when it comes out, if it's not you may need to drain the sauce in the stainless dish into a saucepan to add a bit more starch slurry, bring it to a boil.

Egg custard

This one is very tricky to work with, I recommend not doing this one at first.:

10 g custard powder (bird's custard powder)
    50 g wheat starch (tungmin flour)
    100 ml milk (sub in a mix of unsweetened condensed milk for more flavor)
    50 g butter
    1 large egg, slightly beaten

Pre mix and break down your custard powder and tungmin wheat starch (wheat starch is only available in asian groceries. Ask for tung min fun, not mai fun which is rice flour) in the milk make sure it's all dissolved.

In a double boiler, prepare a some water and put enough heat in there to keep it under boiling.

Pour in the starch/milk mixture and wisk like there's no tomorrow. Add sugar and butter. Don't stop wisking.

Wisk

wisk..

wisk more.

watch the heat so it doesn't get too hot.

After about 2 minutes, the mixture should thicken significantly. At this point, take the custard off the heat. KEEP WISKING.

when the mixture starts to cool, add in the egg slowly, keep whisking.

Take the custard, put it in a bowl or bin, put it in the fridge to cool and set. Consistency should be about a nice thick honey.

The bread:

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    1+ tablespoon sugar
    1 cup milk (substitute a bit of unsweetened condensed milk if you like)
    2 eggs
    .75 cup of warm water
    3.5-4.5+ cups of all purpose or high gluten flour (bread machine flour)
    .75 cup vegetable oil

The bread is mighty tasty and you can even use this for regular dinner rolls.

Take your warm water, dissolve and mix the sugar, pour your yeast in. stir it agently and set aside for 2-5 minutes. The solution is ready when there's brown chunks on the top and the solution is cloudy/foamy.

Take your 3.5 cups of flour (sift it if you like) in a bowl, add oil, milk 1 egg and yeast solution. mix it with a big strudy spoon until it starts to form.. then get your hands in there and start kneading. If after a few minutes the dough is still wet, you may need to add a bit more flour. It should pull away from the sides of the bowl without sticking.

Knead the dough by pushing it out away from you and pulling it back towards you into the lump and repeat. 10-15 minutes of this should get it nicely formed. Ball it up, and if your bowl is nice and smooth you don't need to oil it, but it won't hurt to lightly wipe the sides of a bowl down with veg oil. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for an hour or so to rise.

After your dough has doubled (some recipies call for triple) in size, punch it down lightly and knead it some more. This dough should be good for 16ish buns.

when you're ready, take some flour and dust a clean work area and your hands just a bit. Take a ball of dough about the size of a kiwi and stretch it out so it's thinner on the edges and thicker in the middle, should stretch out slightly larger than the palm of your hand. Put the dough disc in your hand and cup it so the middle drops.

Take a teaspoon of filling and place in the middle of the dough. Grab the edges and start pinching it together. Give it a twist at the end to seal it. If the dough is too try it won't seal, so you'll need to wet the mating surfaces.

Here's a video of the entire process.. the filling and dough working just described is around 6 minutes in.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JLy5ulHMEA&feature=related[/ame]

Something not explained in this video, if you flip the buns nipple down, you bake them, If you leave nipple up, you steam them. Either method is delicious, and the dough works either way.

Since this is the baking method, we go nipple down.

Take wax paper or tin foil on a cookie sheet. You can cut it into 5x5 squares or just leave it as one sheet.

The dough may still yet rise a bit now that it's formed, that's fine. They will rise as you fill them.

When you've got them all filled, take a basting brush and a beat an egg... brush the tops of all the buns with the egg wash.

Put into a preheated oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Don't forget to rotate the pans halfway through to make sure all the buns are heated evenly in the oven.

You may also want to make sure they get equal time with the elements (my elements are either top or bottom so I have to cycle it halfway to brown the bottom of the buns.)

should look like this:

bao-4.JPG

mmmmmmmmm
    bao-13.JPG

bao-12.JPG

It's not a hard recipe, but rather time consuming and laborious, but the results are quite similar to chinese bakery results.

I'll probably try a pizza filling in a few weeks... after eating about 40 of these things in the last 2 weeks, I think I need a break from buns.

I should add that for about those 3 hours of work to do 32 or so buns, I had bread from saturday night at midnight until thursday lunch. I was eating about 4 buns a day with salad for lunch and breakfast.

If you use cheap cuts of meat it's very possible you can do this with left overs. Flour, sugar and yeast are cheap. Not a bad haul for 5 days of bread.

I can also do a wicked chinese sponge cake, but that's for another day. The ladies love it :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive had those they are awesome.. char siu ones are best..

I also love them steamed buns
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    round 3 of filled asian bread:
    almostmelonpan.JPG

This time, it was japanese melon pan, chocolate chip version.

Basically you take the bread from the previous recipe I posted, and add a chocolate chip cookie on top. Melon pan has a specific cut pattern you put in the cookie top to make it bake out in the shape of a melon, but I couldn't figure out how to do it this time.

This bun is filled with vanilla pudding. Also made from scratch.

results were delicious.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Crepes!

50/50 eggs and milk, add a spoonful of salt and sugar, then add some flour, (it should be nice and runny.) Beat it good for a while, then leave it to swell.

fry them in some oil or butter. add a ladleful of batter to the skillet and swirl it around until it covers the bottom with a thin layer. when the top part is "dry" (you'll know what i'm talking about) flip it on the other side. It should go quite fast.

Serve with everything from berries and whipped cream, to the norwegian specialty of blueberry jam and bacon. (real bacon!) Or, if you're on a budget, just eat them with sugar.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    holy crap sir-knight those look awesome, I'm totally trying to make that stuff one of these days. Never really tried to cook chinese before.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    traditional chinese cooking is super easy and very cheap. A lot of recipes have to do with steaming and marinating the hell out of cheap cuts of meat.

The fancy stuff: buns, dimsum dumplings, pot stickers, etc require LOTS of labor, but are not overly complicated to do, but you do need to practice to get the technique down.

The cookie top on the melon pan has a specific recipe, I haven't compared it to a regular chocolate chip cookie dough, but it's consistency and taste was very similar to what I remember from our mandatory high school home ec class.

btw, if anyone is wondering how and why I do this, I grew up in a restaurant. 20 years of being in and around and working in it has given me good cooking instincts. To the point that I don't even have to measure a lot of ingredients, I just put it in.

Oh yeah, the vanilla pudding was pretty much the same recipe as the egg/milk custard from before,
    minus bird's custard powder,
    substitute modified cornstarch,
    no egg,
    add vanilla extract.

Maybe I'll try coconut cream or banana cream at some point... need to get those recipes from my dad.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Ok here it is, those who worked with me at mythic will remember...

MONKEY BREAD

3 tubes of buttermilk biscuits the small tubes usually comes in packs of 4 tubes like 10 biscuits per tube 9220.jpg

1 cup of sugar
    About 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (or a lil' more or a lil’ less depending on how you like cinnamon)
    1 cup butter (melt it a few seconds in microwave till it gets soft,)
    1/2 cup brown sugar (I like the old kind that turns into the solid sugar bricks that you have to break up, but you can use that fancy new stuff that stays granulated if you want.

Additional stuff you can add as much or little of the following as you want chopped nuts, walnuts, pecans, chocolate chips, gummibears, olives whatever you like in your cinnamon bready desserts.

Preheat oven to 350

Take a regular size Bundt pan and spray it GOOD with no stick spray. You are making the stickiest food known to man, so coat that sucker good.

Put your cup of sugar and cinnamon into either a large Ziploc bag or Tupper ware container, anything that you can close and shake.

Open the 3 cans of biscuits and cut each biscuit into 4 pieces (I use a pizza cutter) do not smush up the dough to much, as you cut them place them in the container with cin-sug mix
    Occasionally stop and seal the container and shake well so the pieces are all coated (how many you can do at a time will depend on container used, don’t over stuff it, you want the pieces coated well.

(If you are doing extras like nuts and stuff sprinkle a layer of them in the bottom of the bundt pan now)

Take the coated dough and place evenly around the pan (I stop every can and add more walnuts, or whatever so they are mixed thru ought the cake.)

after all the dough is coated and in the pan with your extra ingredients, put your cup of butter in a small saucepan with the leftover cin sugar mix from the shaking container, and the 1/2 cup brown sugar. Heat this on high while gently stirring until it comes to a roaring boil.

Remove from heat and quickly and carefully drizzle this evenly over the dough in the Bundt pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes

(WASH THE BOILING POT, if that stuff cools it’s a bitch to clean)

When finished cooking, allow to cool slightly then dump cake out onto plate. Pull chunks out with fingers or a fork and enjoy
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Hah! Sounds tasty, Rhino :)
    Here's 2 deserts:

Peanut Butter and Syrup on white bread

My staple desert from growing up poor. Cheap and tasty. 2 parts syrup, 1 part peanut butter (creamy gives best results). Mix well and spread on bread. If 2pts syrup is too sweet (or not sweet enough), just adjust to your tastes, that simple.

Pillsbury Doughnuts

Another childhood staple. Doughnuts and doughnut holes using Pillsbury biscuit dough.

- can of plain Pillsbury biscuits
    - 1 cup sugar
    - 2tsp (more or less, to taste) cinnamon
    - vegetable oil (for frying)
    - dough cutter (small enough to punch a small hole in the dough), or small cup

- Heat oil to 350º
    - Mix sugar/cinnamon in a bowl
    - Slightly flatten out each biscuit and punch a center hole in each, reserving the "hole" as well
    - Place each biscuit ring into the oil (don't crowd the pot, it'll drop the oil temp)
    - Cook on each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes
    - Remove from oil and let sit for 10 seconds (any excess oil drain), then place one side into sugar mixture (or coat the whole thing if ya want)
    - Repeat process with doughnut holes, but cooking time is much short, so watch them
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    most common kickass food is all about a good bolognaise
    (my recipie is secret atm because im too lazy to type it)
    lasagne = weird noodles with begamel sauce (its just salty pudding made from flour and clear soup powder) and cheese
    real kickass bolognaise = my recipie + spagetti
    real kickkass chili = my recipie + kidney beans,(12 can) beer and of cource chilly powder
    and finally bolognese fries (you can imagine)
    and always remember clarified butter loves pork and beef

edit:
    ok here the recipie
    get a pound of ground meat (50/50 pork/beef)
    bacon
    garlic( 3 toes) and a big onion
    a semi big carrot
    pizzatomatoes or whatever from a can
    [optional]
    and a zuchini (yellow squash does the job too)
    peas
    and paprika

ok her how you do it
    about 2 big spoons ob ovile oil([optional]and one small one of thai chilly oil)
    into the pot
    make it hot
    put thebacon and the onions and the garlic in there (cut them very small)
    put oregano, majoran garlic powder, muskat paprica powder and spices of your wish in there(do not forget salty stuff, like salt itself and clear soup powder)
    let them get slighly brown
    then the rest of the veggies in there(except for tomatoes)
    fry it a bit
    then put everything in a bowl and use the pot for the ground meat (same spices as above and same amount of oil, and a slice of clerified butter)
    when its well done put back the veggies and but the tomatoe crap on it mix it good and let it cook for an hour or so (its done when there is red oily stuff on the top)

yep and then you have the kickass bolognaise

edit2:

and for dessert baylies cake is always good
    its about a normal Madeira cake but with balies mixed in the dough, pretty nice
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Man, I just checked out that bacon explosion, and it looks amazing. My wife said it made her feel sick just looking at pictures of it, so I know I'm onto a winner. If I were on death row, this badass would be my last meal. The sweet bacon dogs look awesome, too.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Most of you in the USA might be able to find these. They are a mix of spices that come together. The brand is Goya.

I like to eat a lot, I need to keep my weight, if I don't I turn into a little twig and that's not cool in my book. I'll eat blade cut pork chops and for chicken I eat leg quaters, since they are bigger than just whole legs.

Get a bottle of adobo and and a box of sazon.

I make these in the oven, if you want to save money, like I need to do, I cook them at the same time.

For the chicken.

Wash it real cook. You add the Adobo first. you cover it lightly. How you shake the bottle is important, so you get a nice even distribution over the meat. It take a little practice to get his right. I have been doing it since I was 12 so if you first try it it might not work for you. LOL so keep trying. Once you layer your the chicken with Adobo you add the Sazon on top of that. You add less sazon than adobo though. I do one side of all the chicken pieces first then flip and do the rest. That's it. If you want you can add onions and garlic powder as well.

Put in the oven at 350. Put the chicken on the lowest rack so it cooks faster. You can check in about 30 minutes to an hour, then you flip it then leave for another hour. If cooked long enough the meat will fall off the bone.

If you want it to be crispy towards the end you can turn the oven to broil. Now if you decide to do this you need to flip the chicken every to 15 mins so the chicken doesn't burn. You do this until it's done to your likeing.

with the Pork it's the same as the chicken except you need to use less spices or it will come out salty. Pork gets the flavor a lot faster than the chicken does. The other thing is it cooks a lot faster. If you leave in the oven too long the meat will get hard, but if you don't leave it long enough it stays a bit gooey. It's easy to mess up.

If you have a grill, you can cook it the same as the bit in the broil part. You need to keep flipping it often so it doesn't burn. It does take awhile for it to cook, but it tastes really good once it's done. For the chicke when I use the grill I don't use any spices on it.

I eat that with rice.

Since I'm lazy I cook the rice in the microwave. While it's quick it doesn't taste as good as doing it on the stove or in a crock pot. The ratio I use for rice is 2 cups of water vs 1 cup of rice. If you like your ice harder though try using less water. Try doing it one to one then add half a cup more of water. I generally do 3 cups of rice with 5 cups of water. I add a little oit and a little salt. Add salt to your liking. I put in the microwave without a cover first for 15 minutes. This will vary on the size of microwaves though. Once it's done, turn the rice. If the rice looks hard when you first took it out you didn't add enough water. :D. It's easy to mess up. If he rice looks too soft then you added too much water. After you turn the rice put the cover on and give it ten more minutes.
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    DIRT CHEAP DESSERT!
    Warning : EXTREMELY DELICIOUS
    but a bit hard to make.

Gombot ( Prune balls )

- 3-4 medium potatoes
    - prunes ( better if fresh, but works with dried as well)
    - 1 cup of regular flour
    - 1 cup breadcrumbs
    - 1/3 cup sugar
    - 2-3 spoons of oil
    - 1 egg
    - 1/2 cup of cream wheat ? (i think that's how it's called)
    - cinnamon

1 .You boil the potatoes in their skin. When done you peal them and grate them into a large pot.
    2. You mix the potatoes with the egg, flour, cream of wheat, oil. ( can be done by hand)
    3. Spread the mix and cut it into squares.
    4. Sprinkle the prunes with sugar and cinnamon ( remove seeds is fresh)
    5. Put one prune in each square. Roll into a ball.
    6. Boil some water in a large pot. (3/4 full)
    7. Put the balls into the boiling water, they will start floating when done.
    8. While boiling fry the breadcrumbs in a pan. When the breadcrumbs start turning brown add a bit of oil and sugar ( as much as you see fit)
    9. Remove the ( now floating boiled balls) from the pot. Roll them in the fried breadcrumbs.
    10. can be eaten as is , or with yoghurt or cream.
    PICS (not mine):
    1:
    ingrediente.jpg

2:
    gomboti-cu-prune3.jpg

3:
    gomboti-cu-prune4.jpg

4:
    gomboti-cu-prune1.jpg

5:
    gomboti-cu-prune5.jpg
    gomboti-cu-prune6.jpg
    6,7:
    gomboti-cu-prune7.jpg

8:
    gomboti-cu-prune2.jpg
    9:
    gomboti-cu-prune-2573.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    sir-knight: i made your buns today... i tried to make the custard ones. except haha the bread was fine, except i didn't put in enough custard in the middle and it was kind of dry. I couldnt get that correct technique right, because custard kept spilling out as i was trying to tuck the sides in.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the fluid ones are tough, even after about 7 batches I had a lot of failures in my latest batch. Solids are definitely easier to get into the bread.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    also, the bread was crap after the next day... got really dry... NEEDZ PRESERVATIVES or something lol
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really? mine were fine up to 3 or 4 days later. Toaster oven ftw.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    We used to have a thread like this in 2005-2006 which i contributed to, maybe 5 recipe's. Here's a new one:

Parsi lamb stew

Serves 4

2 1/2 pounds lamb stew (cut in 1 1/4 inch pieces ...Lamb shank)......Previously cooked, cooled
    And the fat removed ...Recipe for preparing the lamb for weight loss follows this recipe

1 lb potatoes, cubed
    2 large onions sliced thin
    2 t. Ginger garlic paste
    Salt
    1 t. Chilli powder
    1/2 t. Cummin powder
    1/2 t. Corriander powder
    1 t. Red chilli paste
    3 t. Tomato paste
    4 sprigs corriader leaves
    Worcester sauce
    1 cup oil (to be seived and stored after the dish is completed)
    1 t. Powdered garam masala
    A pinch of saffron threads

To make the potatoes, heat oven to 375 degrees f. Toss the potatoes with oil, salt and pepper and put them in an oven proof tray in the middle of oven. When the potatoes are fork tender remove from oven and switch it off.

Heat oil till a sliver of onion will sizzle in it. Add onions sliced and fry them a golden brown. Stir the onions so the outside edges of the pot do not brown faster than the inner. When done strain out the oil and reserve the fried onions. Add back one tablespoon of oil and fry the ginger and garlic paste, chilli p, cummin p. Red chilli paste, tomato paste and stir so it does not stick. When an aroma of the spices exudes, add the tomato paste and stir. Now add the onions back to the pot and the already cooked lamb stock ( add as much stock as needed for the gravy...I put a half a cup per person) about 2 cups of stock should do. Let the masalas mix with the stock of the lamb till it thickens a wee bit. When the gravy is thick enough for your liking, add lamb pieces and give it one more simmer. Just before serving add the oven made potatoes to the stew and stir to coat the potatoes with the gravy. Rub the saffron between your fingers after warming the threads lightly on the stove in a dry pan. (do not burn the saffron it is very delicate) and add to the stew. Add a wee bit of the worcester sauce to taste. Add the garam masala and stir. Cut the cilantro and sprinkle on top of the stew. Serve lime/lemon wedges at the table with the stew. Make kachoober as an accompaniment.

Preparing lamb for weight loss

Wash the lamb shank pieces thoroughly put them in a pressure cooker together with enough water to cover the meat. Add 4 sprigs mint, 8 pepper corns, 1 stick cinnamon, 5 cardamom pods and 5 cloves. Add salt. Add a piece of cup up ginger the size of your index finger. Bring the cooker to a steam whistle and reduce the heat to low for 17 min. (if you do not have a cooker then slow cook it in a pot of medium to low heat for about an hour or till meat is tender). When the pressure drops on the cooker after you have removed it from the stove take off the lid and let it cool. Refrigerate the meat and stock overnight. In the morning, remove and take off the layer of fat that has floated to the top now you are ready to enjoy the meat and stock as broth soup or use it in dishes that require lamb stew and meat.

Enjoy.
  • aesir
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »

lawwwl

love it.. going to email this to all my buddies..
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Ross-The-Boss's Big Fat (Tomato) Sauce:-2/3 jar of Classico Roasted Garlic Sauce (1.5 cups)
    -1 or 2 sprits of worcestershire sauce
    -1 tablespoon Chilli paste
    -1/2 teaspoon of oil
    -7-10 'thingies' of garlic (pureeed)
    -1.5 tablespoons of salt (I have lite salt, so maybe less for you)
    -2-3 stocks of celery.

Chopped:-5 or so stems of cilantro-15-20 stems of chives
    -2-3 leaves of fresh basil
    -4-5 stems of oregeno
    -4 romano tomatoes
    -10 or so slices of mushrooms
    -3/4 of a green pepper

Grinded:-1 tablespoon Chilli powder (I like it spicy)
    -1/2 tspCorriander seeds (just a few)
    -10 Peppercorns (again...spicy)

Cooking Order:
    -Heat small frying pan at medieum with a splash of water, add tomatoes until stewed, transfer to sauce pan.

-add just a touch of oil to small frying pan, saute onions until golden.
    -add grinded spices and garlic to the cooking onions, cook until the aroma's are strong, transfer to sauce pan
    -Add all veggies and all the rest of the ingredients, let it stew forever, add more water if needed. I test it by monitoring the crunchiness of the celery, if its not fibrous anymore, the sauce is ready!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I have yet to make it, but omg it looks like the most disgustingly delicious heart attack ever. Bacon Explosion
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have yet to make it, but omg it looks like the most disgustingly delicious heart attack ever. Bacon Explosion

that actually looks pretty disgusting..
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay, food thread!

Gonna write up my favorites later, but in the meantime, that bacon explosion thing actually impressed me, I never thought about bacon knitting before..
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deep-fried-mars-bar.jpg
    You have to make a deep fried mars bar, they taste so good. Probably not the healthiest of foods though... Make batter, coat, dunk and enjoy :P.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Well, this isn't too fancy but it's my Dad's burger recipe:

1lb of ground beef (I prefer Angus)
    1 packet of dry onion soup mix
    1 egg
    bread crumbs

mix the egg, soup mix and beef together. If the mixture won't form into patties add bread crumbs to add some structural support. Finally, form into patties and grill, will make 4 or more burgers depending on how thick you make the patties.

As far as what dry soup mix to buy, you might want to get low sodium, some brands are super salty.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    10219791.jpg

+

FF865007A_hotcan_chili_con_carne_410g.jpg
    (instead of the boring tomato sauce)

+

whatever you like, i suggest more meat!

=
    something like these:
    2ni37tc.jpg
    14juagx.jpg
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    Well I feel the necessity to add to the wealth here. I've got a few recipes that are really simple and guaranteed to be good for parties and such.

Cheese Dip

What you will need:
    1 block of Velveeta cheese
    2 cans of Rotel diced tomatos and chiles (recommended: one HOT one mild)
    1 lb of ground beef
    1 small can of diced jalape
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    rolfness wrote: »
    that actually looks pretty disgusting..

I've made it. It's amazingly tasty.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Simple breakfast I occasionally have (Got it from Gordon Ramsay's cookbook).

Between 2 slices of buttered toast:
    Apples
    Wallnuts
    Cheese

:)

SOO good!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Simple breakfast I occasionally have (Got it from Gordon Ramsay's cookbook).

Between 2 slices of buttered toast:
    Apples
    Wallnuts
    Cheese

:)

SOO good!

for a hamster :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /Thread resurrection enabled

Made this tonight, soo tasty. Might cost more than some dishes, but it makes a batch big enough to last multiple meals, so it's worth it.

GARLIC SOUP
    2 cups whole garlic cloves (yes, that's cups)
    2 tbsp ev olive oil
    1 cup diced onion
    1 cup diced leek (white bits only)
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1 cup diced potato
    4-5 cups chicken broth
    1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
    2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 bay leaf
    1 tbsp salt

Equipment: Emulsion blender (or blender or food processor)

peel & cut garlic cloves lengthwise, remove inner green core if they have them. Put all of the garlic cloves into a saucepan with some salted water and bring to boil. Drain and set aside. (for a less intense garlic flavor and a deeper/slightly sweet flavor, blanche 2 more times)

Heat olive oil in pot over medium until hot. Add onion, leek, celery, bay lead and some salt to pull water out of veggies. Cover and cook until tender but not brown (~10min). Add the potatoes, blanched garlic and chicken broth. Season with salt/pepper as needed. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender (~15min).

Remove from heat and let stand 5min. Add spinach, oregano, stir together and let stand a further 5min to wilt down the spinach.

This is where having an emulsion blender is really nice, as you can just puree the soup in the pot, which is what I do. Once blended, mix in the 1 cup of heavy cream. Check if salt/pepper is needed. Serve with crusty bread :D

If you don't have an emulsion blender you can just transfer the soup in small batches to your blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Then return the puree back to the pot and add the cream at the end, seasoning to taste.

It was really quite ridiculously good.

/Thread resurrection disabled
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Avacado-Bacon sandwich.

Microwave 3 strips of bacon inside some paper towel.
    While it is microwaving, Cut up Avacado
    Cut up Cheese

COMBINE!.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    My frenchness is shocked by pretty much everything on this thread D:
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Noors wrote: »
    My frenchness is shocked by pretty much everything on this thread D:

especially this
    FF865007A_hotcan_chili_con_carne_410g.jpg
    omg how disgusting, doing chili yourself takes like what? 10 minutes? but then you at least know whats in it :O
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    ^ either you have never made chili before or are some sort of cooking god.

It will take atleast 15 minutes of prep time and another 30-45 minutes to cook it....and thats if you are relatively fast.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    guineapigcareA.jpg

+

skewer.jpg

+

barbeque1.jpg

prep time, 1 minute. Cookin time depends how you like it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Not a recipe but a technique for awesomeness:
    How to brine meat
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Scruples wrote: »
    ^ either you have never made chili before or are some sort of cooking god.

It will take atleast 15 minutes of prep time and another 30-45 minutes to cook it....and thats if you are relatively fast.

Ok lets say 20 with preperation time, besides chopping onions and garlic there is not much prep time to it, ok depends on the recipe and you can go fancier.
    But as its ending up on some sort of pizza anyways i don't think it has to cook that much longer as it still will cook in the oven, looking at how thick the dough is covered with it, it will take some time in the oven to be done, as a generic oven in a household won't hit the temperature of a pizza oven anyways.
    Also yes, i am indeed some sort of cooking god :D

just kidding but i'm cooking quite often and also at least once a year for a lot of people, and someting like chili can be done without having to buy the whole thing canned, you never know what kind of crap meat you have in it, its already artificially spiced, colored, flavour enhanced and will have a lot of other shit in it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I make my own chili. Definitely not done in 25 minutes, but it doesn't take long. This way I also know exactly what is in it and I can make it taste exactly how I like it.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The longer you cook it, the better it gets methinks, especially if you have a couple of hours and some gullasch meat instead of ground meat.. yum yum
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Best Spaggetti sauce ever:

1 brick of butter
    1/2 bottle of red wine
    Ground Beef
    Ground Pork
    Ground Chicken
    diced: tomatoes/onions/green peppers/carrots
    2 Bottles of fresh Marinara sauce
    1 can of Tomato Paste for thickening
    Fresh spices: Oregano, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, pepper, salt
    Spoon of brown sugar

Heat over medium for a few hours to let the flavours really blend together.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Cheap Fake Enchiladas - As my girl calls em.

Ingredients:
    2 cans of Hormel Chili no beans.
    1 bag of Small flour tortillas
    2 bags of Mexican mix shredded cheese
    1 White Onion
    Salt

Cookware required:
    Small frying pan
    Medium size pot
    A medium to large casserole dish
    Oven

Preparing the tortillas:
    Put some oil in a small (about the size of the tortilla) frying pan and heat it to medium heat. One at a time, put a tortilla into the oil. CAREFUL! The oil will sizzle and pop. Cook the tortilla until it starts to bloat but don't cook it till its crispy. We need them to be flexible still. Lay them out on paper towels to soak up the extra oil and lightly sprinkle some salt onto them. Set them to the side.

Preparing the chili:
    Open cans.
    Put chili in pot.
    Add cheese if you wish.
    Cook on high till chili is bubbling.
    Done.

Putting it all together:
    Heat the oven to 375.
    Spray the casserole dish with nonstick or use a paper towel to spread butter around the pan.
    Take a tortilla, scoop some chili into it and gently roll and then place it into the casserole dish. Do this until the bottom of the casserole dish is lined in little tortilla rolls. Now spread some chili over the top of it and sprinkle cheese on top of that. Do another layer of tortillas filled with chili and spread the last of the chili over the top of the second layer. Cover with cheese. Take the onion and chop it into small pieces. Sprinkle the onion over the top of the cheese.
    Now put this into the over for 20 minutes or so. When the cheese on the top has melted completely, you know its ready.

I usually serve this with Spanish rice and refried beans and sometimes I put onions on top of the first layer of tortillas also. You WILL have leftovers. It's actually pretty good!! Hope you guys enjoy!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    you know that nacho cheese dip from the cinema?

well thats just
    (for one portion)
    one pack of chedder cheese
    a pack of sauce holondaise light
    onions (maybe granulated onions work too)
    chalapeno slices
    salt, pepper and paprika powder
    mixed together and heated up slightly