Home General Discussion

What have you sacrificed for game art?

Replies

• Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Minotaur0 wrote: »

* Friends. I'm still friends with only one out of all the friends I had in high shcool.
    A lot of people I know have lost contact with their high school/gymnasium friends. I don't think it's related to work sacrifice really, it just happens. In my case I've been moving to new places, found new friends and then eventually lost contact with my old friends. Also my friends from back then are busy with their new lives too so it's all mutual really. Some are even close friends from a few years ago but as soon as I left town the contact just died off. It wasn't really anyone's fault.. It just happened.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Man, between this and some other threads I'm feeling like a wierdo for not having much to 'sacrifice'. I mean, everyone I know from home went to university, Most of them have graduated already and are moving on to different cities. Most people I know from my university have graduated and moved back home and I don't have a steady girlfriend.

I basically see myself moving back home after I graduate, seeing some friends there until I land a job, and then I have no worries about moving my life to the other side of the world. let alone 'out of state'. I kinda take it for granted that most people I know will move around the country a lot over the next few years, and the Idea of living abroad for a while seems more exciting than scary by miles.

In terms of loosing contact with friends, I think that's something that's changed alot just in the past 10 years or so. Every time I go Online, all my friends from secondary school are right there on Facebook, and I always drop them a line if I'm in whatever town their in. It's alot easier to stay in touch these days.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Health (though improving) and my last relationship, though the latter is debatable, heh. I always have been and always will be, married to my work. I told her that going in. Some might say that's sad, but it's just a matter of perspective. Either way, after 7yrs, I think the truth finally sunk in and she left me back in Feb of last year. Vastly different opinions on things and she hated videogames to boot. Guess I should have taken that as a sign from the get go :P

Right now I'm just happy to have improving health, great friends and an awesome job. Love will come when it's ready. I'm in no rush.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I sacrificed a life of doing shit I don't give a fuck about, dealing with people I find boring, and a bunch of time I could have spent watching House and CSI.

All I got for it was a job where I have the chance of doing something I think might matter.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Vig wrote: »
    Step4) After getting your heart stomped on 3-4 times and or the first sighting of a single gray hair, think about settling down.

Surely I'm not the only one with multiple gray/white hairs by the age of 21...
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Surely I'm not the only one with multiple gray/white hairs by the age of 21...

Nah... it's rare, but it happens. In my family, we get gray/white hairs in our teens. I already have quite a few. And a few ginger ones too, and a couple of blonde ones.

Real weird hair genetics in my family.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Is it just me or is the "waiting for years to get a job" a recurring theme here on Polycount?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Is it just me or is the "waiting for years to get a job" a recurring theme here on Polycount?

It's only the ones who have enough time to bitch about being unemployed instead of work towards getting employed.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee wrote: »
    It's only the ones who have enough time to bitch about being unemployed instead of work towards getting employed.

I'd think it would probably help if we had some flexibility. I mean, if you have modeling skills, who would hesitate to apply for a job prepping AutoCAD/Revit models for Pre-VIS rendering at an architectural firm?

If you have modeling skills, who would hesitate to apply to a job modeling for a small film studio if given the chance?

And if you have animation skills, hell, you can animate for just about anyone, in any medium.

I wouldn't hesitate. Games are just a medium, and I don't think it's smart for anyone to marry themselves to it, let alone place it on a pedestal above your friends and family.

If you want to be paid to do something you're good at, it seems like it would make sense to be a little more flexible. And if nothing's available, it seems like it would make sense to find a job doing something else you're good at in the mean time. Surely we have more than one skill. Not meaning to toot my own horn here but I can fix computers (and I have had that job before). If I have to, I'll go into the whole IT/Computer infrastructure support industry and make my living there. I have no qualms with that, and I don't understand why anyone here - if they've sacrificed so much and expect to sacrifice more - wouldn't at least look into branching out a little.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd think it would probably help if we had some flexibility. I mean, if you have modeling skills, who would hesitate to apply for a job prepping AutoCAD/Revit models for Pre-VIS rendering at an architectural firm?
    The only thing about finding various jobs that could use 3d software, there's a lot of jobs and titles its hard to find those jobs when you don't live in a big film/entertainment city.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Fuck you Ceebee, seriously, I've never been so fucking angered by an internet comment, you inconsiderate prick.

I've worked every last second I've had on developing my skills. I've applied to 37 companies and not had a single art test or interview, in fact I only heard anything back at all from 2.

That's simply because im still not good enough. But when an arrogant little cunt like you suggests I've wasted time and couldve used my time better, it pisses me off.

I literally couldn't have worked any harder.

Oh, I notice you're at Gnomon. How pleasant. Unfortunately not all of us have parents willing to spend $999,999 to get me an industry job, or a bank stupid enough to loan me the money.

Just remember, while you dance around holding hands with the big shots at Gnomon, your guest lecturers from Pixar or whatever, some of us have to make the best of a few hours each day, stuck in our office/bedroom.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    First of all Kudos to all you guys. It's an honor to be surrounded by so many people that have the integrity to make definite decisions and then see through their harsh-harsh consequences. In a world where everyone just drifts along it's worth a lot and I wish I knew more people like you in person. Thank you all once again.

My sacrifices are kinda weird at places but what the hell

- my social life.
    I hung out probably 1/20 of what normal kids would. And my getting drunk, smoking pot experiments were over around my 9th school year. And up to now I probably have no friends left except for my gf. All the others are just great guys, that we share a lot of great memories with. And that would drop everything to help each other if need arises. But we don't hang out anymore and have very little in common except from our memories.

- eating and sleeping.
    I eat once a day and sleep around six hours. During my school/university days I slept a lot less. Trying to balance a normal life with game art studies.

- my health.
    I was hospitalized and diagnosed with a bad ass chronic sinusitis and almost had 2 holes drilled in my forehead. But I told the doctors to screw themselves and regenerated without any drilling done to my skull. But still every sleepless night or any other kind of weakening of my immune system, makes my head feel like It's about to explode, so I'm on medication from time to time. But it's not as bad as it may sound probably.

- Potential ambassador job
    I enrolled in international affairs faculty of the belarusian state university. The hardest place to get in in an honest way probably. I could've graduated in 2012 and be some pimp ambassador, but I dropped out to do games.

- A sausage factory and moneys
    It just so happens that my dad owns one. And he wanted to pass the baton to me, but I obviously wasn't up to it. So instead driving my own fancy car and going on expensive vacations I'm poor, locked up in a small apartment working on game art 24/7.

- Family and Israeli citizenship.
    My grandpa moved to Israel. Then did my bro. And then my mum in a while. And I couldn't go with them. Because had I gone there I would be drafted into the army for around two years and that's the time I couldn't afford to waste. So I condemned myself to and indefinite amount of years living in belarus(crapest country ever), locked up in a small apartment working on game art 24/7 with no family around me at all.

- Video game art job, my own R&D department and a moneys
    It might sound strange but that's the way it is. In belarusian practically non existent industry I used to work for the best videogame developer, that claimed to be one of the best in the whole post soviet union. And they were to some extent. But not in the art department. So one day I came to our HR and laid it down just the way it was. I said that I want to leave to become a better artist. Because no matter how much the company claimed that they were doing world class games no one from that company could ever land a job in any company that makes real AAA games. So that's no world class for me. Someone might ask why couldn't I work and build up my portfolio in the evening? And well the answer is pretty strait forward once again.
    When I work I work. I can't do things half-assed and I can't take it easy. I just don't want to. So I was constantly pushing it there, inventing and implementing new stuff and crunching out weeks schedules in 2 days. So no wonder that after I filed my resignation I was asked to dinner by the companys CEO(who is a great guy btw) and he offered me to create my own research and development dept. to bring content creation up to par. But knowing the amount of indifferent people in the art department I turned the offer down. I don't want to fight people who don't give a shit for the sake of being in charge. I'd rather be the lowest front-line grunt and be surrounded by people who share the same love and respect for our work, that I do.
    And yeah. The moneys were very good too. I was 19 and I was making more then my mum did with her 2 university diplomas.
    So once again I'm kinda poor, locked up in a small apartment working on game art 24/7 with no family around me trying hard to find someone overseas to hire me.

Life's beautiful and I'm proud of the choices I made.

And about the girlfriend issue, mixeh. I feel your pain, man, but things happen. And I guess everyone chooses for himself. You didn't stop her, when you had a chance and you didn't give up your goal when she wanted you to. That means that you've made your choice. The only case that it can be in vain is if you choose to stop halfway and turn around. So it's your responsibility to see your decisions through if you feel you've done the right thing, no matter how difficult it is.

And hey, you always have polycount buddies to cheer you up and tell you that they are in deeper shit so things are not so bad.) be strong, man, do what you think is right and get happy.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I gave up going to a 4 year university, and experiencing college life and moving into a dorm. Instead I'm working full time at a call center making $10 an hour, doing something that I don't enjoy that also drains me.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    I sacrificed my beautifull muscular physique.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Diver that was the most inspirational post I've read in a while, cheers buddy!
    d1ver wrote: »
    I don't want to fight people who don't give a shit for the sake of being in charge. I'd rather be the lowest front-line grunt and be surrounded by people who share the same love and respect for our work, that I do.

Also, this!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    MALicivs wrote: »
    I sacrificed my beautifull muscular physique.

we need computers attached to cycling machines, you stop peddling and the power goes. I put on about 2 stone since getting into games, working it off now though :)
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blah blah blah

Hey buddy, I wasn't singling anybody out. Next time you decide to post try not to be a belligerent child.

Edit: But honestly, it's no wonder why you haven't gotten an interview or art test. Your attitude is one of the worst I've seen here, which is a shame because your work isn't that bad. And if comments like mine piss you off that should be more motivation to kick my ass and get a job before me.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey buddy, I wasn't singling anybody out. Next time you decide to post try not to be a belligerent child.

Heh, you mean like you were being when you posted your irrelevant, useless stab at trolling the people who are yet to get work.

Saying you weren't singling anyone out doesn't give your post any more worth, it's still offensive and pointless.

*Post Edited because I was an asshole*
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *EDITED for same reason as above*
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    time.

i've sacrificed time. and lots of it. and unfortunately it's a commodity i can never have back, or replace. if i don't get the career i want/think i deserve etc etc. then what do i do? i'll be too old to start looking for a new career. a new job, sure. but career? no.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sex and drugs and rock and roll. Lots of nights spent in rather than being out partying.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I gave up going to a 4 year university, and experiencing college life and moving into a dorm. Instead I'm working full time at a call center making $10 an hour, doing something that I don't enjoy that also drains me.

Ugh... My innocence! Give it back.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Some of you people are insane... and thats not meant as a joke either.

Also, I find it a bit disconcerning that most of the people in this topic consider the traditional life of 'getting a job and a partner' to be an ultimate goal in life. You are not your job (seriously, some of you seem to be willing to suck off and army of art directors to work at blizzard/studio x), you should aim much higher than that! That is also why most of you 'derp derp I worked on my portfolio for a bazillion years but I cant find a job' people cant find one, because there are people out there THAT AIM MUCH HIGHER than just getting 'that' job.

I dont know about you guys, but even if I worked on Super Mario X or WoW 2 I wouldnt exactly be thrilled with it on my deathbed. I'd rather be able to say 'Sure it was though and I made stupid mistakes and went trough a lot of shit, but at least I did my own thing instead of trying to appeal to and live my life for others'.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Money Over Bitches, but Love Over Everything.

Blizzard can't make me happy like a a good woman and great friends can. I'd rather make Great Memories before I made an Impressive Resum
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    kwakkie: I get huge satisfaction from working on big studio titles. I'm not sure if you're saying we should be an independent dev? I've thought about it, I have the money to do it but I'd be pretty depressed knowing I wouldn't have the budget to make the kind of games I want. I've done a little work on a casual title and it was really depressing :P (I'm not saying it can't be satisfying work, I just don't enjoy it)

I haven't really sacrificed much, I missed out on having a house in the countryside but I don't have the constitution to be constantly hunting for the next freelance contract - maybe one day.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I didn't really have anything to sacrifice in the first place. If I weren't doing 3d art then I'd just be playing WoW all day or maybe SC2.

Hmm then I guess I did sacrifice something, I sacrificed being hopelessly addicted to multiplayer games. But it was more of a cure rather than a "sacrifice".
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I jumped into this thread thinking it would be weird to me, and i agree with kwakkie a lot.

I haven't sacrificed much of anything. I muddled up a couple of friendships and a relationship when i was in my teenage years and most obsessively going torward some fantasy of game art employment, but overall i havent really given up anything.

To a degree, my art has suffered from it, in that when the (few) things i find more important in life than art come up i get very little art done. I haven't drawn very much at all in the last six months, and i need to get back into it, but i'm young and there are other ways to make a living and in the end i'd rather be happy with what i did, happy with what i can do, and skilled as an artist than have anything specific on my resume.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    The only thing i'm going to have to sacrifice is my comfort zone.
    I don't call staying home painting, drawing, sculpting and just learning things i find interesting sacrificing anything because i love to do them and i still can have a social life with like minded people that at the same time help me grow as an artist.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Sacrificing some things in life to do something you really love is necessary. I moved to Los Angeles from Massachusetts to go to college at AILA, and as a result my girlfriend of a couple years broke up with me.
    Thank god, too; it was definitely for the best. I loved her, but she was holding me back more than I care to admit. During those few years with her, I sort of sacrificed my 3D interests for her, and I really regret it; the important thing is that I am getting better again.

If she had been encouraging, or at all right for me, we may still be together. So sacrifice things that will not adjust accordingly, but only if it is worth it. If you are pursuing art half-heartedly, you may be better off keeping things the way they are. Let sleeping dogs lie, as they say.

Always always weigh all the options and possibilities before making a rash decision.

I agree that life isn't all about "Job then spouse", but if one loves their job, why shouldn't it be a major priority? Getting payed to do something one would be doing as a hobby anyway sounds lovely. And then spouse, once you are economically stable and mature. Mustn't increase the divorce rate!

Love is the law, love under will; to quote a crazy but smart man.
    Just be happy, yo. Simple.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man I'll try to keep this short since I think it pertains to what you're going through.

I dated a girl for two years in college. Knew I would have to eventually move since there were 0 job opportunities where I was from. When the time came and I somehow managed to land an industry job despite having 0 contacts, 0 experience and it being a recession, I jumped at the opportunity!

I was out and working half-way across the country in a place where I literaly knew no-one and nothing about. Shortly after we broke up. She told me she would never be able to leave her family behind.

So now all I have is this ridiculously awesome job, working on a new Fantasy IP for an MMO (drool). I'm treated extremely well and can full support myself financially at age 23 ("Hurray" - parents). Not only that but I still skype/game with my friends from back home (who have no moved all over the country too for jobs) weekly. I also get plenty of PTO to visit home during the holidays and have made new friends out here.

My life is fantastic right now and I'll find a girl who appreciates me and my passion eventually.

Take for instance my good friends Andrew. He has been with his girlfriend for 3+ years. For 20+ months he lived off and on in L.A. interning at various companies while his GF was back in Indiana. When he graduated college he lived in my laundry room. He would work 12+ hours a day on his CG and then a night shift at a bakery while searching for full-time employment. His GF would drive an hour and visit him on weekends and stay in the laundry room! She full supported him 100%.

He decided to move back out to L.A. with his brother to be closer to studios for work (local talent pool). After 12 months of being unemployed after graduation he finaly got a job as a Filer at Nickolodeon. Five months later he showed someone his lighting reel, and now is the sole Lighter for the Kung Fu Panda TV show at age 24.

His girlfriend just moved out there a month ago and got a job at a University. A keeper? I think so (plus she's a total bombshell lucky bastard!)

Moral of the story. The people worth keeping in your life will support your passion and dreams. You shouldn't have to sacrafice anything. At least I wouldn't look at it that way. Just do what makes YOU happy and the rest will fall into place. I think you'll find that like minded people tend to come together.

I will say that he and I always made it a point to stay sane from all the lack of sleep and folio work we did (which was a ton). We would always hang out with friends and go out on weekends to allow ourselves time to recover.

I also did an insane amount of partying as an Underclassmen... which I don't regret because it taught me how to socialize with pretty much anyone, which talking to a lot of people who want to get into game development you can tell they lack those skills. Being able to communicate clearly to other people and get along with your co-workers is a valuable skillset... which I learned from partying (or so I like to think :) )

It's all how you look at it... I tend to think positively!

No sacrafices just experiences, opportunities, and investments!

(funny how those countless hours playing Dark Age of Camelot, WoW, etc. ended up helping me in my current job too, everything you do influences who you are as a person and puts you on a path hopefully towards success)

Edit: Please forgive typos, it's very late and I'm tired.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    edited: merged thread, double post.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    a social life... outside of work friends and a couple friends from school I pretty much never meet new people. It's unfortunate, but it's also my choice at this point.
  • Tom Ellis
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod

oh...well...doh ><
    And so recent too, complete fail.
    I'll just throw my stuff in that thread, mods feel free to delete. :)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I started a thread about this exact same topic just a few minutes ago, without realizing this one existed...epic fail. Seems like this is just "in the air" right now, eh?

I've gone through something very similar, recently, mixeh. It's difficult, especially when you have the regret of realizing some things maybe a little too late. It's important to get yourself into a solid mental state. It all starts with you.

-I've had to moved away from family and friends on several occasions.
    -I've had to sell a beautiful home.
    -I've been put through the ringer, physically, and mentally from work related stresses.
    -I've brought all the stresses into my home life, and leaned heavily (at times) on my significant other, friends, and family.
    -I've let myself slip on continually improving my skillsets outside of work. Whether that be from not wanting to even look at a monitor when I get home, or just not having the faith in myself.

I'm sure there are more. Looking at that list, most are unwilling, but there are some willing sacrifices there. Luckily, I've recognized a lot of this, I'm working hard to rebuild my mental and physical state, and repair relationships.

edit:

Tons of great advice and experiences to pull from here. One thing that I haven't seen touched on yet, however, is...have you ever made a sacrifice and realized that it wasn't the sacrifice you necessarily wanted? One of those, "you never know what you had until you've lost it" sort of things. I guess that falls into a regret category, but I think it's valid. Values, goals, and what's important in life seem to change with the experiences thrown at you.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    -I've moved to another country and left friends and family.
    -I will be moving again (all the way to Canada) in January. It's pretty far from Sweden...
    -I've had to put my education on hold (got my current job will still studying).
    -I've lost interest in working on anything artsy when I'm at home.
    -I've survived through three rounds of cutbacks = stress

As Geezus said, I'm sure theres more, but nothing I can think of atm.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I think my view might be a bit different than some of those I have read so far, as I didn't get into this cg art until I was in my mid-20s. I now have a wife and a 9 month old, and I find it hard to imagine moving them both all over the place for the rest of our lives trying to get jobs. I just can't imagine that the quality of life would be very high for them. That's sort of the tricky part: when other people become a part of your life, it's no longer just about you anymore. Of course, moving a bit is a part of life, but doing it every two years would be pretty hard.

With that said, I think the hardest part for me has been balancing my obsession with what I do with the rest of my life. I think I fail at it quite a bit, because it is really an obsession for me. I have had to learn to try and keep that from ruining my relationships. Although, I love what I do, my life would not be worth much without the people I love and hold dear. When I was younger I didn't realize how fragile and important maintaining those relationships are. I think it's easier to imagine when you are younger that new relationships will just magically appear, but finding people who you really connect with isn't as easy it might seem (or at least, that has been my experience). All that to say, if you find someone who is really important to you, don't let that pass if you can help it.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a better idea. (inspired in part by Dtschultz)

How about someone ask if anyone here has led a normal stable life in game art.

Ok... I'll do it.

Has anyone here led a normal stable life in game art?

I don't want to be dependant on other people. I want to be an independant person, who pays his own bills. I want a house eventually, and a wife, and kids. I refuse to trade that in for this. I refuse to be a starving artist.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Not much. Got pretty lucky in life. Now I have to figure out what's next.

I mean, I definitely skipped some stuff other people my age were doing, but I don't regret or miss those experiences, as I wanted to be working on art. Now that I'm married and have a good social network, cooking for friends, or just spending the evening with my husband is a lot more fun than working on an SDK all night. (most of the time!)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    But SDK's variables are easier to set :/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a better idea. (inspired in part by Dtschultz)

How about someone ask if anyone here has led a normal stable life in game art.

Ok... I'll do it.

Has anyone here led a normal stable life in game art?

I don't want to be dependant on other people. I want to be an independant person, who pays his own bills. I want a house eventually, and a wife, and kids. I refuse to trade that in for this. I refuse to be a starving artist.
    Going on 4 years at the same place, and it seems to be really stable, I keep waiting for the floor to drop out and be back out looking for work but the company has been really smart with how its structured and how it handles its money.

I've been married for 12 years, I have a 3 yr old, I own both of my cars (paid them off last year thanks to my house), I have a mortgage and most days my creative thrust is quenched enough that I won't flip the computer on when I get home.

I wouldn't trade any of that in for a starving artist job in the industry, I turned down two of those positions when I first tried to break in. I'd gladly down grade this to a hobby again and go work something else if I had to. But there seems to be enough opportunity in and around the area that I wouldn't have to move.

That's not to say we wouldn't move, we would if the deal was sweet and stable enough. I moved around a few times as a kid and its not as damaging as most people think. If you've never done it, it seems like a really big deal but honestly I think people should do it once or twice just to get over that fear. If the logistics scare you hire a mover (I suggest Mayflower), if you're broke, it all fits in a shoebox. If its family and friends tell them to get their asses on Facebook... You'll talk way more apart then in the next house over hahaha.

Moving as a kid, in some ways it helped me break out of my shell as a kid and in other ways it helped not living around other kids for miles (stayed out of trouble and worked on art).
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I feel that it's more a matter of cutting out unnecessary things than what I've sacrificed.

And I consider my game art life to be pretty stable. Starting working in games in 2004. Been married for almost 5 years, have a son who's almost two, own a house and all that jazz. I've also always had a pretty active social life. Always go out with friends, take the wife out at least once or twice a week, and I love playing around with my son before he goes to bed.

But I do get up super early every morning and take a van pool to work, It's an hour commute and gives me time to sketch both directions. Because it leaves early I arrive at work with some spare time to practice painting before the work day starts. As soon as my son is in bed and my wife relaxes on the couch I'm either painting or working on game art (Usually from 9-11). And during the weekend I keep the same schedule, except those 8 or so hours I spend at work I go do stuff with my friends and family.

I probably work on personal art at least 3-4 hours a day without sacrificing time with my family. I just cut out unnecessary things. I don't watch tv, I sparingly surf the internet, I found an alternate way to commute to and from work, I get up early, and I work on art at night before I go to bed. I feel like I've streamlined things without leaving anything out.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanna apologise on here.

Having read through a lot of the posts on here it's seriously admirable how much people have pushed themselves to get where they want to be. It seems the whole idea of sacrifice is not so relevant since the people here who've achieved their goals, have been rewarded with things worth more than anything they may have put aside while they learned/worked.

So yeah, sorry to the people I've pissed off, sorry for being a jackass and basically an over-opinionated asshole.

Hopefully I can take some of this motivation and make good use of it rather than bitching on here. Turns out what Ceebee said about those who bitch is actually pretty true in my case.

Anyway, Polycount is not my blog... but I kinda felt it necessary to at least apologise for being a dick.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Nothing. If i wanted that other crap i would have gone another route. Me pursuing this is me not sacrificing my life and doing what i always wanted to do, just took me a bit to realize that.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I sacrificed some relationships, as in not having enough time for them. But heck, the rest works out pretty nicely. I never got fired, I always got enough money, I got to see the world, I managed to save up some cash for the future, I don't have to work crazy hours (what's this crunch you all talk about? ;) ), I have enough money for vacations, I have no debt. I think I'm doing quite well. I know many people who sacrificed much more for jobs which suck much more.
    So yeah, you can do 3D without giving up everything else I think. But sometimes you just have to get your priorities right...same with most other jobs, really
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Sunlight!!!!

You damn vampires of the north west!!!

There I said it! D:
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I sacrificed some relationships, as in not having enough time for them. But heck, the rest works out pretty nicely. I never got fired, I always got enough money, I got to see the world, I managed to save up some cash for the future, I don't have to work crazy hours (what's this crunch you all talk about? ;) ), I have enough money for vacations, I have no debt. I think I'm doing quite well. I know many people who sacrificed much more for jobs which suck much more.
    So yeah, you can do 3D without giving up everything else I think. But sometimes you just have to get your priorities right...same with most other jobs, really

I'm getting it... Perhaps it's not about getting the cool jobs with the cool projects, but getting a good job so that you'll have time to work on the cool projects.