Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lowpoly Blizzard style env props

Cremuss
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
Hello dear polycount !

I'd like to have feedbacks of the last piece I'm working on to get my portfolio "done".

I took a concept art from blizzard and tried to make it in 3d, just to practice :)

blizzadboat_wip2_1_small.jpg
blizzadboat_wip2_2_small.jpg
blizzadboat_wip2_3_small.jpg

Excuse the aliasing, nvidia antialias doesn't work anymore with blender 2.5 and render antialias engine looks way to blurry to me :/

Screenshot are taken from Blender viewport. Hand painted textures made with gimp. Boat tricount is 3000. Everything is shadeless (lights are for later :))

Even if the concept art is supposed to be for WoW, the goal was to make something that would fit, technically and visually, to diablo or any other rpg.

The model is considered done, but I'm open to any suggestions to improve the textures :poly142: !! I know polycount is great to have some serious feedbacks :)

Hope you like it, feel free to critics !

Replies

• hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Don't really have time to crit right now, but I like it :) The main thing that sticks out to me is the UV stretching on the wooden planks for the main body of the ship. Keep it up!
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    neat! i dig it, only thing i dont dig is the ground.....i couldnt really make out what it was...i halfway though it was a boat coming through some weird fog cloud thing. Had to view concept to realize it was ground.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Could you show us the UV? I have a feeling that you're placing the wood maps ineffectively.

I also think that, for Blizzard, this is a bit too realistic - both the texture and the model. It's missing some chunkyness and bright happy colors.

And although it's not visible in the concept, I think you need a wooden beam in the center of the bow
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    you should have brighter colors! it doesnt look very blizzard-like

what Snader said <_<
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    This is nicely done but the wood on the boat is all wrong. Boats aren't just shells of wrapped wood, they have two sides that connect at the bow, like what Snader said.
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the quick replies ! :poly121:

here is the uvmap :

blizzadboat_wip2_wire.jpg

hobodactyl > The uvmap isn't even stretched :poly136: I suppose it's the texture it self that gives this feel :poly122:

blizzadboat_wip2_checker.jpg

stimpack > Is it the sand texture or the weird alpha map I put on the ground to make this 'island' that troubles you ? Maybe a real pedestal would be better ?

Snader > I'm aware that my style is a bit different from Blizzard. copying the very cartoonish blizzard style wasn't my first intention, but I'd try to get more saturation and colors to get closer to it :poly121:

You'r right about the "wooden beam", I don't even know how a ship is made :poly136:. I'll add one :)

update soon, thank you for the critics !
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Right - you have plenty of loops and polies to map one plank to 1 or 2 quads, or to work with rows, so why not do so? This would give you some interesting possibilities.

I'd make one X/Y tiling part - to be used everywhere, one X tiling part to blend with the floor, and one X tiling part with broken planks. You could use these parts tiling, but you can ofcourse also grab loose planks on a per-poly basis.

shipwrecktex.PNG
    This texture would also be usable on other objects in the area, keeping memory costs down. (MMO)RPG's tend to rely heavily on tiling, modular, reusable textures.

I think, but I'm not entirely sure about it, that the 'stretched texture' look is due to 2 things:the boards having slanted edges(\______\ instead of |_______|) and because of the bent UV unwrap which makes painting harder.

As for the color, no need to make everything bright and joy. Just push the general saturation up a pinch, and then add some coloured elements, such as the flag a brightish orange, faded/scraped yellow paint on the guard rails and goblin statue, and some coloured objects on the inside.
  • Tea Monster
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 13
    Like the general look of it.

Agreed with others that you need a keel to run down the bottom of the ship. It just looks strange without it. It will also help break up that huge expanse of planking on the hull, which looks kind of bleh at the moment.

If you get one of the bleeding-edge versions of 2.55 off of Graphicall.org, they instituted GL Viewport anti-aliasing recently. :)
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello :)

I've been very busy trying to take care of what you all said. I did a pretty large amount of changes.

blizzadboat_wip3_1.jpg
    blizzadboat_wip3_2.jpg

Snader > Thanks for the tip ! I usually pay more attention to uvs but I often run down to problems with AO and things like that when doing so. This time I just wanted to be sure time I could do what I really wanted to do. So yeah that's why the uv map isn't really optimized :poly136:
    The tiling tip sounds cool, I will try it during a next project :)
    I guess it's a little bit late to tweak the uv on this model, well I could do it but I'm to bored to do so :poly141:

Tea Monster > Cool ! I have blender 2.55 but I don't know how to turn on the viewport antialias and google doesn't gave me the answer ^^ Do you know how to turn it on ?

Thank you guys for critics, it helps me a lot ! :poly121:
    Update/beauty shot soon
    cya
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello :)

bretmcnee > Thank you ! Honnestly I don't know what are these little balls. I just wanted to respect the concept art :D, I guess it's some sort of little bags that contains magic sand to keep away evil :poly124:

Anyway, this one is considered done. Thanks a lot for the critics, it helped a lot ! Polycount is definitly a good place to progress :poly142:
    I'll come back to get critics for my next project soon, that's sure :)

blizzardboat_1_big.jpg
    blizzardboat_2_big.jpg

Bye !
  • jakelear
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Cool prop man. Nice progress from the first iteration. Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future!
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yes, very nice execution. I think that without the light(s), it needs a stronger color pop, a touch of just the same yellow/orange on the flag or somewhere. Show that this can stand on its own w/o the lights.
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Great work, man!
    I know, that you consider it finished, but I think that just a little touch will help the model pop out more. Add some juicy color. 'Cause now it's all brown. You could make the flag reddish and then add a little bright red detail somewhere inside so they would tie each other in the scene. Or you could just play with hues a little more.
    It's really a great job and it would be a pity not to see it become the strongest it can be.

good luck
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    What is this rendered in?
  • Tea Monster
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 13
    I was under the impression that it was automatic on later builds from Graphicall. I've tried it on mine and I don't see any controls to turn it on or off. I'll look into it though.
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the comments :)

jakelear > thx ! new prop soon :poly142: something bigger :poly121:

shotgun & d1ver > thanks ! Maybe I'll try for one last shot to make some improvement with the colors but I'm not sure yet because I already started a new piece. But yeah I really need to improve the way I work with colors :poly122:

frell & Hboybowen > yes it was taken from blender's viewport. I made a little post prod with the screenshot with the lighting to add the little glow and bloom :)
    Blender's BGE isn't really good for FX :poly141:

Tea Monster > I've absolutly no idea. I'm interested if you find anything about it ;)

cya
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Just popping in to say *thumbsup* for doing something 'serious' like this in Blender.. makes a refreshing change to see well thought out and built models and renders.
  • ceej010
    This matches Blizzard's style very well. Do you mind posting the finished texture maps? I would be interested to see them. Thanks.