Home Technical Talk

retopo tools for Max?

wannabeartist
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wannabeartist polycounter lvl 8
Hi,

As much fun as it is pushing vertices around to conform your low poly mesh to high poly, sometimes I find myself missing for a tool that would do it for me. Any suggestions?

I found this and it looks pretty promising based on the web page - and reasonably priced too - any experiences using it? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Replies

• airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    Max re-topo works fairly well for a free script.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/max-retopo

If you have a few bucks to spend, this is pretty good...

http://www.thepixelhive.com/wrapit
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Call me impatient, but I already went for wrap-it (the same you mentioned). I tried the free one earlier today - it looks promising, but it gave me some errors, so I tough, sod it, I can invest a few euros to get this to work.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found this and it looks pretty promising based on the web page - and reasonably priced too - any experiences using it? Alternatives? Thanks!
    Yep, love it, well worth the price.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed, seems pretty awesome after the first 15 minutes! Can't wait to learn all the goodies in it.
  • arcandio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcandio polycounter lvl 9
    I got wrappit the other day too, and I had a head retop'd in a few hours. It works great, and I've had no problems with it at all.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing that bugs me a little is the relax-feature. It doesn't seem to actually stick with the hi poly, when you use it? The low poly seems to shrink inside the high poly.

Well, just a beginner's mistake obviously, must see all of those videos and practice a little more.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    i use max's graphite modelling tools or zbrush. takes a little longer but i find it does the job
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    the thing that bugs me about wrapit is the accuracy. i find getting in close and tweaking is a total pain. the verts never settle where i want them to. It seems max's ray casting isnt accurate enough
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree.

It's not totally automatic, but it gives you pretty good starting point for the low poly mesh. I find that the relax is a bit more useful, if you first lock the vertices you don't want to relax - If you do it for the whole thing, it won't stick to the hipoly - at least I haven't managed to make it do that.

@Ruz,

Do you use decimation master to get a starting point for the low poly mesh? I've tried that approach a couple of times, but I find the resulting topology pretty messy.
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    3D coat also has some nice retopo tools and very easy and straight forward to use.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed, just watched the video on their site today. Made me almost regret that I just bought ZBrush :D Oh well, I guess there are many ways to do this.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    :) i wasnt talking about the auto retopo. I have 3DCoat for that. Its the way that moving a vert with wrapping turned on can be quite unpredictable. I find they quite regularly jump from where i place them. its very annoying
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wannabeartist - I do mainly characters. on the whole I use the base level mesh as my bake mesh, but sometimes retopo on top of that if necessary.
    At the very least I will make sure the lowest level matches the silhoutte of the higher pretty closer, using 'cage' as a start

I will use the level 3 to retopo over.

I think if I was doing say rocks I would use decimation master. the main reason for me using it for characters is so I can use it decimate to a level where I can bake my normal maps in max.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips!

I'm just shaping my workflow, as I'm new to ZBrush. I'm guessing my biggest mistake is using too dense meshes to start with (when I get from Max to ZBrush), thus forcing unnecessary rework when it's time to do the in-game version.

I just reworked a piece of cloth, that I simulated in Max and took to ZBrush for refining - since the simulated mesh was already pretty dense, I had to do the game mesh from scratch - bad idea - it took 2 days! Without "Wrap it!" I would be still doing it.

Oh well, practice makes perfect ;)
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Wrapit is great, graphite tools/polyboost are great too, and they interoperate well.

Best thing about wrapit is that you can use any of your usual max modeling methods and it will constrain to the surface. It's definitely a neat tool. Well worth the cost if you have a bunch of retopo to do.