Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted Bonner orc WIP

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yes, this is nice. Now u a) certainly need to punch up the orange on the arm-cloth (see snowfly's excellent PO) and b) blend the tatoo with the body rendering, it's seemingly a flat color.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice!! This is the best update so far, now add some imperfections to the skin like the last paintover and you'd be golden!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys! Here is another update. I added some dirt and stuff on the whole model to make it look grittier. I'm not sure about the sun damage on his back though, I did try it and it didn't look right.
    bonnerorc_100930.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking good, really black under his arms? and Im not sure about that tattoo colour it seems rather similar to bruising so I keep thinking hes been punched in the eyes or something
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks, ged. I made the shadows under his arms a bit brighter and removed the blue paint from under his eyes. It looks a bit less like bruising now I hope?
    bonnerorc_100930_2.jpg
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty solid. Have you thought about painting more detail on his skin instead of being so shaded? Like scales, or dry skin... and marks from running barefoot... twigs brushing against his legs... things like that that give him more personality from what he does. It's looking great! keep up the good work.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some colors ideas - might be a little WoWy for u but hey!
    goaaa3-4.gif
    Point is - build up ur layers of color more noticeably, so if u've gotta add light to the tatoo (reflecting the light on his shoulder) add it with color, something more substantial than a soft, anemic gradient.
    What I did was:
    - Add the tatoo light
    --> Add supporting oranges for the blues
    --> Break-up the monotone brown pants with grey (middle of blue+orange, within pants serves as blue) and tighter orange touches.
    Add rainbow and done!

ps
    Also notice I fertilized ur midtones.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    hi
    Thanks for the paint-over and feedback, guys. I made some changes to the orc and followed your painting, shotgun. Don't get me wrong, but the shapes on the eyes and the shoulder are painted shapes and not tattoos so that's what I'm going for. I did however follow your advice on fixing the lighting on it better so changes were made. Is it too bright now though?
    I will be adding more details to the skin, glottis8. I agree, it does look a bit too shaded. Please tell me what you think;
    bonnerorc_101001.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks better! tatoo/body-paint (whatever) looks more natural now.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Great paint over by Shotgun. The highlights on the blue designs look good and add a lot of life. If anything it makes it feel more like paint than tattoos. One thing I especially like about the paint over is that the darks aren't as extreme as your model. I can see more detail in the paint over, but on your model I can't really see anything in those shadows. It could just be my monitor not being able to display darks well, but I think it's a good idea to reserve the darkest values to where you need them or else you'll clamp the available value range you can work with.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks, guys! I made another attempt;
    bonnerorc_101002.jpg
    Haikai: Are you talking about the darker areas on the shoulder-paint or the entire model? Where on the model if so because I can't really tell?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Just dropping in to say it's coming along very nicely!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Haikai: Are you talking about the darker areas on the shoulder-paint or the entire model? Where on the model if so because I can't really tell?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the cast shadows, mostly on the lower areas of his body. Comparing to Shotgun's image, your clothing areas get really dark. The cast shadows on the skin area are also a bit dark. It's good to paint lighting in like this for diffuse only models, but be careful with going too far overboard with it. It looks great in this static pose, but in certain poses and animations those specific shadows may start to look kind of odd. But that's just my opinion; I know some people prefer that. :)

I know you've been getting a lot of different feedback and have been diligently incorporating them into your work. The model is looking great, and it's just about done even if you don't tweak anything else. I'm looking forward to your next model.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankly, I've only painted on the top torso / arm, it may be the GIF compression that renders things differently (or ur monitor, as u said). In any case, I do agree that the body is heavily shaded to a point that makes potentially interesting areas moot: the entire rear side is very... passive. Kinda saying "don't look at me from the back, look from the front!" ... this is ass-descrimination, no less! (sure, an orc ass, and a male one at that, but still)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks, shotgun and haikai. I brightened up the darkest areas on the clothes and equipment. Is this looking better?
    bonnerorc_101003.jpg

I'm gonna be honest with you guys. Going back and forth with changes may be a bit annoying but at the same time I'm learning a lot about what technique would be the best and so on. I learn better by practice than theory so it's all good. With all that said I'm getting pretty damn tired of this orc...
    Thanks a lot for your help!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes this is better. Move along, I say!
    Make him a little pet familiar.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Well, guys, I feel like a fool. I adjusted my monitor and tried viewing it on another one as well and the shadow levels aren't nearly as dark as I thought... so, yea, just ignore what I say!

I think it's time to look into calibration. It's kind of scary to think that I do work under these conditions. :poly136:
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now you can get started on the boner orc
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    God!
    Just go back to page 1 and see how much you have progressed!!! NAICE
  • Rafael Rojas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goraaz wrote: »
    I'm glad you like it, Rafael. But do you mean smoothing out the mesh or the texture?

the mesh :poly121::)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice job dude! Way to stick with it, really great progress on this.
    My only suggestion is to play around with some stronger highlights and lighting in general. It might now be what your going for but upping the contrast a bit might make him pop more.
  • frwanque
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frwanque polycounter lvl 6
    it is ciute, nice texturing.
    Something cool i you want to add to your character you can put the bottom of you pants on a element ant move it a bit with an alpha or something so it doesn't look too fit on the Orc legs. You can also do it on the waist part.

But it depend of what you want