Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted Bonner orc WIP

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Saman polycounter lvl 13
Hello!
Here is an orc I've been working on. It's an orc inspired by Paul Bonner's fantasy art. I need critique on this one so if you have any please tell me.
bonnerorc_100912.jpg

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I really like Paul Bonners art, its like a master you are going after.
    It looks good but the skin comes out more like wax to me. You have very saturated dark tones there that makes it look like that. Try to push the muscle shapes more with darker not so aturated colors. You should also check then if the muscles are really correct that way, the abs for instance look just like 1 big plate on his belly.
    Paul Bonner has lot of details going on in his works, so i think he can use some more stuff that hes wearing. You could for instance add some fabric frazzle and bands around his arms in the texture without having to change the mesh.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the feedback, Davision3D. I reduced the saturation of the texture and I changed the abs. I'll be adding more details. Thanks!
    bonnerorc_100912-2.jpg
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesomes choice of choices ! i am a fellow fan of the bonner

the highlights and shading looks good in some areas, but it's all crying out for more colour variation imo

im thinking the middle of the upper arm biceps/triceps needs more a of a punch outwards to the silhouette. i'd also try and make his torso feel a little less box like

digging it though, looking forward to updates
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sweet man, really glad you stray from the "default green orc" look.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks alot, guys, I'm glad you like it.
    I added some bracers as Davision3d suggested and I reshaped his waist a bit. I changed the textures a bit too so some parts are more pushed out now. I'll be working on improving the bracers as well as the accessories as well since I haven't spent a lot of time on those yet.
    What do you think?
    bonnerorc_100912-3.jpg
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a very unique looking Orc! I was thinking this would be the stereotypical Orc everyone knows and loves but you definitely made this your own.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    That is a very unique looking Orc! I was thinking this would be the stereotypical Orc everyone knows and loves but you definitely made this your own.
    I appreciate the compliment but it's not my own. It's Bonner's ;)
    http://www.paulbonner.net/
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    This is coming along well.

The aforementioned waxy-ness is not a result of the saturated colors so much as it is of the highlights u removed. Some touches of deeper brown/orange would add some flair to his skin tone, and certainly more color. Apply some reds liberally around his nose / eyes / ears, magenta to his hands and purples to his legs. Maybe spice-up that belt with some deep orange touches.

The cloth has dark lines too thick compared to the detail-level of the rest of the model.

Also, the face should get the lightest tones, not the shoulders.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    looks cool, but i think its too beigy/brown.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the feedback, shotgun and p442. I changed the color of the orc to a more orange color. I also added some red color around his eyes, ears and nose as well as his fingers, toes and legs. I appreciate all the feedback, guys, it's been helping me a lot!
    Please tell me what you think.
    bonnerorc_100912-4.jpg
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Some nice details on here so far. Bonner Orcs are cool. poly120.gif This should be really cool once it's finished.

I guess the things that stand out to me are some contrast issues:

The shadows under his arms and on the side of his torso are very dark. Same with between his legs (almost showing up completely black on my monitor).

One of the best advice I ever got about painting (and I need to do it more myself) is to not let the interior shading override how the overall form reads. Right now the contrast between the high and low points of the shoulder muscles (and in a few other areas) make it feel like the bulges are way bigger than you might have intended. The extreme highlights kind of make it feel like he's glowing beneath his skin which may be the waxiness others have referred to.

The anatomy of the abdomen and back look a little odd to me, and his pants look a little too skin tight. I agree with Shotgun in that the face should probably be highlighted more than the rest somehow, whether it be by darkening the rest a bit and/or reserving the most contrast for the face.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    @haikai: I removed most of the highlights from the muscles as well as all the pitch black areas. I'm just showing a quick update on the front... does it look less waxy?
    bonnerorc_100913.jpg
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, yea, I think that's looking a lot more natural now. :) It's looking good!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Cheers, Haikai. I switched references from Bonner's web-portfolio to his book that I recently purchased. The book makes his paintings a lot more justice and the colors are easier to follow. I've only been working on the muscles today and some on the pants. Please tell me what you think, guys;
    bonnerorc_100913-2.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    bonnerorc_color_test.jpg
    still feel there is not enough contrast in the skin tone and the pants color. they are both a similar hue. looked at some bonner artwork and pushed the skin tone more orange, and picked a random contrasting color for the clothes. just an example
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the feedback, P442. I changed the skin color to something more orangy and darkened all the cloth pieces. I also increased the contrast on the skin;
    bonnerorc_100914.jpg
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 14
    New colors are definitely better! If you don't mind, could you post some wires please?

Thanks!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Adding a bit more noise to the skin might actually help, try it out :) Subtle though.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    get some cooler subtle tones in the shadows, blues and purples to compliment the orange and yellows
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking good, totally agree with catstyle tho
    catstyle wrote: »
    get some cooler subtle tones in the shadows, blues and purples to compliment the orange and yellows
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, looks nice! I agree with catstyle. Dont forget that Bonner often uses blue/purple tones for the ears and nose. Try to push the values a little further using catstyles advice, to make the muscles pop a little more :)

And yeah, some wires and flats would be nice to see :)

Keep it up man!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm at work now so I can't give you any update at this time. Actually blue colors was something I wanted to add but didn't know where to add it, good thing you gave me that advice about the shadows, catstyle, I entirely forgot about different colored shadows. I tried adding some blue war paint around his eyes and ears but it didn't look very good, I might add some later though.
    Do you think the muscle anatomy looks strange ? I'm thinking of changing the muscles on the shoulder a bit. I know it's an orc and you could say that orcs have a different anatomy than humen but I still want to create believable forms to his body.
    I'll post some wireframes when I get home.
    Thanks, guys!
  • SkyGround
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyGround polycounter lvl 11
    About blue light - i dont know how in sounds right in english - counter-light - add contrast cold light on down side - like blue omni placed on floor )
    We have same style like AllodOnline, I can show you some images from document that we show freelancers, but only on PM/icq.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    SkyGround wrote: »
    About blue light - i dont know how in sounds right in english - counter-light - add contrast cold light on down side - like blue omni placed on floor )
    We have same style like AllodOnline, I can show you some images from document that we show freelancers, but only on PM/icq.
    Do you mean something that would theoretically be color bleeding from the ground? I think I understand what you mean, if you've signed an NDA it would probably be better not to share your stuff yet. :O
  • SkyGround
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyGround polycounter lvl 11
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Do you mean something that would theoretically be color bleeding from the ground? I think I understand what you mean, if you've signed an NDA it would probably be better not to share your stuff :S

No, there is no ane NDA, just not for public showing, we shared it with friends colleagues.

Not sure about color bleeding.
    It helps to show details in shadows without adding dark colors
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Hello!
    Here is the wireframe;
    bonnerorc_100914-wireframe.jpg
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work so far. I agree a bit of color variation would help push this a bit further.
    You also might consider painting in more lighting information. I'm not sure if how you're planning to present this finished, but painting in some directional light usually helps things read/pop a bit more. Painting in shadows under "3d" (whether they're 3d or just textured in) objects usually looks pretty nice too (like under the belt for example).

hope you don't mind a quick paintover to illustrate my point.
    bonner.gif
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Ah, thanks! I was a bit hesitant of adding a light source at the moment because I figured that was what got it waxy. But your paintover looks great.
    How does that work in game though? Won't it look strange when not outside? Also I see that you added some pitch-black areas, shouldn't I stay away from those?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Another update. I added the blue bleeding from below, tell me what you think. Is it too much or should I increase it even more? Thanks
    bonnerorc_100914-2.jpg

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. The belt's shadow can't be painted on the character since his whole body has been mirrored so the shadow would appear on both sides of his chest . What do you guys think about applying an occlusion layer on top?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Ah, thanks! I was a bit hesitant of adding a light source at the moment because I figured that was what got it waxy. But your paintover looks great.
    How does that work in game though? Won't it look strange when not outside? Also I see that you added some pitch-black areas, shouldn't I stay away from those?

I may have unintentionally misled you a bit in my previous feedback. Shadows and light sources are definitely okay on diffuse painted models, but I personally would avoid having completely black (and white for that matter) areas. It looks like you removed most of your shadows after my post. I think it's perfectly okay to go with the idea of trying to make your model look good on the screen as if it were a 2d image. FirstKeeper's Sylvanas model (one of the banner images on this site) is a great example of this, and you should check her texture flats to see just how much lighting and shadows she has painted. As for how much is too much, that kind of depends on the art direction, but for diffuse painted models it may be better to err on the side of too much than too little.

I'm not sure about the blue under lighting you've added in your recent update. It doesn't come across as lighting at the moment. I would go for something a bit more neutral. Remember that it could just be a cooler version of the color that's already on there rather than slapping on another layer with a pure cool color. When in doubt, the best idea is probably to look for references on that kind of lighting.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Cool, I didn't know that you had replied here so I missed your advice, haikai. I re-added the shadows however and reduced the lighting slightly. I rigged him in a better pose too. What do you think?
    bonnerorc_100917.jpg
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Ok, here is the latest update. I removed the blue lighting areas and colored the shadows more blue(I don't know if all of them are noticeable). I reduced the darker shadows too so they aren't entirely black. I also added the texture flat in this update so you can critique that as well.
    But I'm gonna call this done unless you have more critique. Hope you like it.
    bonnerorc_100917-2.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    hehe i like hes eyes :P is it just the lighting? your model looks a little too dark <_<
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I brightened up some parts of the texture and fixed his eyes. I updated the latest image.
  • Rafael Rojas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, it looks fantastic :D but you should smooth it a little it.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    wow, it looks fantastic :D but you should smooth it a little it.
    I'm glad you like it, Rafael. But do you mean smoothing out the mesh or the texture?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think the texture needs to be smoothed in any way.
    The main disadvantages of it are:
    - Inconsistent lighting: u've got the lower body in shade - but the upper body not in light. Muscle definitions r too dark and read as "holes" in flesh cuz lack of balancing (high)lights.
    - Limited palette: I've ruined the "raggedy" look but I hope it opens some views in ur mind for implementing color.
    - Too thick / dark edges of cloth wraps... I've mentioned this b4.
    - Head should be lightest.

groaaa.gif

edit1: thanks Zac.
    edit2: light on left foot was cut in half... dunno
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    awesome paint over shotgun
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    awesome paint over shotgun

/agree
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Hello
    Thanks for the paint over, shotgun. I used it to redo a lot of the painting. I hope I'm on the right direction. A few heads up before you criticise the lighting direction though; I'm using mirrored UV's for both sides of the model so I couldn't apply the shadows from the belt for example.
    bonnerorc_100919.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's fine (the belt shadows). U could, however, add drop-shadow from the head.

This looks much better, imo. A lot more massive. Now u've gotta get in there and push the harder edges & the texture details back in - like the hands. Roughen him up a bit.

Also, play with some more colors. Ur core shadows generally have the most saturation so take some random swatch @ ~20% saturation & ~50% brightness and hard-light brush some areas. See if that worx.

Also2 (if u really wonna push harder :) apply the lighting & color principles to the accessories as well.

Good work.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the help, shotgun. I darkened the skin a bit to make it look like your over paint better. I've been applying the same light direction to the accessories now and I regret not using different UV's for some of the duplicated accessories. I also changed the shadow color of more areas to a blue'ish color, I tried your suggestion but couldn't really figure out how you meant... The color swatch I got from the settings you suggested were a bit too bright. Was I to use that color on the shadows?
    I'm posting an update but I'm not finished with it yet, still have more details to fix. Also please critique any errors you may see because I'm about to finalize it.
    I appreciate all the help you're giving me, guys. I feel that I've improved A LOT!
    bonnerorc_100920.jpg
    Edit: Oh yeah, should the palm of his hand be darker than the rest of the hand or brighter? I'm thinking that the palm usually has a brighter skin color but from this pose his hands will probably be darker because of the shadows(light hits the other side of his left hand). Should I darken them?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Another update. Honest critique is as usual very welcome;
    bonnerorc_100925.jpg
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking like a Paul Bonner Ork witch means it looks really good.

Maybe a bit monochromatic though. It could use a bit of color variation in places. For instance just a slight hint of red or purple, or green in the lips, and ears, knuckles, etc...
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes this is much better. Not only the details but also the edges r tighter. The arm-rags r also a huge improvement. Why not make the rest of the fabric-stuff the same? Maybe a slightly different hue as well? More color variation would kick this up.

Generally, ur mid-tones should be more saturated, like the pec muscle is. That area should be ur reference for the rest of the flesh, with maybe a softer highlight.

Also - once again - keep ur brightest highlight and/or highest contrast on the focal point (e.i. the face). Ur shoulder still gets too much prominence.

Also2 - now that u'r into the final detailing - more of that tribal tatoo could look great on the rest of the body, altho u'd have to make sure the face-tatoo remains the most prominent as it's rather small right now.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Shotgun's got some pretty good tips, and great progress so far!

My overall feeling about this guy is, he shapes like a Bonner orc, but isn't colored like one. Too slick and new, Bonner's orcs have a very chalky, dusty feel to them, with little spots of intense color: http://i39.tinypic.com/16jrcr8.jpg

I did a little paintover with some ideas I had on how you can achieve that ratty Bonner look-
    [IMG][/img]nn8m7d.jpg
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, and thanks for the paint-over, snowfly. I tried using your PO as reference when I made the changes. I'm not done yet but I'm posting an update to see what you think and see if I'm on the right direction. Should I make his legs' backside more purple'ish too like the rest of the body? I noticed that you didn't paint that on the PO but I figured it would make more sense? Also I added some more sooty areas to make it look like the image you linked, don't know if it's good though... I could remove it.
    As for the tribal tattoos/paint; I was thinking of adding something to his shoulders but I don't know what to paint. I checked all of Bonner's paintings from Rackham but the orcs only have painting in their faces and ears. Any suggestions?
    Thanks again!
    bonnerorc_100927.jpg
    Edit: I made some changes, I changed the color of the back side of the leg for instance.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Ok, I found some cool shapes on the armor of the orcs and decided that I could use that as war-paint for the shoulders. I'm not really sure about it. What do you think?
    bonnerorc_100928_shoulderpaint.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny, this is exactly the shape I had in mind. As I warned u - it overwhelms the face-tatoo, so either make the face's bigger or break-up the spiral into smaller shapes no bigger than the face's, so its less dominant.
    Also, watch ur edge consistency: the shoulder-tatoo is sharper than anything else, so u better fuzz-it-up.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Cool! Ok, I added some more paint to his face around his eyes and ears. I changed the color of the shoulder paint to the same blue color as the rest(Still keeping the white stripes). What do you think?
    bonnerorc_100928_shoulderpaint2.jpg