Home General Discussion

What do you want to start seeing in games?

ngon master
Online / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Without going too much into the story or game play, what do you want to see done or done better in video games?

Better animation?
Cooler shaders?
Tessellation?
Better audio (Precomputed Wave Simulation for Real-Time Sound Propagation of Dynamic Sources in Complex Scenes)?
Better lighting?
Innovative controls? (better feedback than vibration, move/kinetic)
3d?

Anything else?

Replies

• vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good lip sync, especially in dialogue driven games.

That's probably it. Although actually, I would also like to see large crowd simulations with your actions making an actual difference in the "world".

Them models can have millions of polys, textures can be 9000+k pixels, but if the skeleton upon which this art goes onto is lacking and lifeless, no amount of technical finesse can make the game more immersive.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Better Animation - yes, games like Mass Effect and Oblivion suffer from this not just in things like strafing/jumping but the facial animations are always the same terrible ones. I know that having these done by hand is out of the question but I still dont like it as it rips me out of the experaince with the awful awful facial animations they have.

Cooler Shaders - always, I <3 shaders.

Tessellation - seems cool what detail can be had but it isnt high on my list of things I want.

Better audio - I think most good games have great audio and I tend to not play bad games. Games like God of War, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Blizzard everything are great examples.

Better Lighting - Biggest thing I would say I want. So many games have flat boring lighting. Lighting ties everything together and can make or break an entire environment. Love hyper-realstic lighting with nice contrast/color. Much better then boring flat real life and most games lack a good lighting punch.

Innovative controls - No

3D - No

Mocap by Voice Actors - As seen with Uncharted having your actors who do the mo-cap and voice acting at the same time out classes far and beyond any pre-recorded voice over acting.

Effects on the world - Things you do actually effect the world around you from even small choices. Things like oh im super evil everyone's afraid of me is lame.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boobies.

barring that I'd also like to see better lip sync and more complete implementation of that Euphoria physics stuff in regular animations and not just for rag dolls, I'm really tired of 3rd person walking/jumping aniamtions that are really stiff and canned as opposed to reacting to the environment and "weight" of the character. Stuff like the whole "floating" up and down stairs animations drive me crazy.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    better physics, animation, and interactivity, also more games where you can get a leg blown off and live through it with a severe disabilty until you top yourself with a luger.

also i'd like to see bethesda make a game that doesnt fucking hate every computer I own.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Better lip sync and animation is number one for me. Nothing strengthens the uncanny valley like robotic and unnatural animation. It's tough because the games where it's most noticeable are the games that require the most animation; Mass Effect and Dragon Age for example. When you have so many hours of dialogue and conversations to animate and lip sync, it's really hard to make them all high quality. Mostly these problems are in cut-scenes and conversations. Usually in-game animations for movements and attacks are satisfying and well done.

Better storytelling. A lot of people hate game storytelling and skip over it, sometimes for good reason. I personally like getting a story in games and even the best ones out there right now are not at the level of books and film. Bringing in more dedicated writers might help or just making different kinds of games around storytelling. As it is, most games are about saving the world and the princess and they suit that. Perhaps they need to use the interactivity and gameplay to help tell your own unique stories. Something like Shadow of the Collosus comes to mind. Not a lot there in terms of narrative but by the end you feel like you've had a great adventure.

More digital distribution. I really like digital distribution as both a lazy ass and someone who doesn't care about physical media. More money to devs, less ways to abuse used copies and with services like steam, you have them forever. They won't get lost during a move or traded in.

Something I like about games right now is the focus on indie devs and games. I'm really liking the accessibility of indie games, on console, PC and phones; lots of great stuff there.

No 3d. I am not into home 3d at all. It's alright in theaters where the screen is large enough to fill my range of view, but on home tvs and smaller screens I think it's dumb and doesn't add much to the experience.

More PC gaming in the future or consoles that will be upgradable so we don't get stuck using the same tech for 10 years.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon wrote: »
    Better Lighting - Biggest thing I would say I want. So many games have flat boring lighting. Lighting ties everything together and can make or break an entire environment. Love hyper-realstic lighting with nice contrast/color. Much better then boring flat real life and most games lack a good lighting punch.

Dear lord this. Fallout 3 makes me cry because of the horrific lighting.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    I want my goddamned bodies,bulletholes,blood,ejected brass and ejected clips staying on the god damned ground back. Or at least hitting the ground instead of falling through it. Man if I am to play a "cinematic" fps, at least pay attention to the smaller things. Shooting an emey in the jaw and not even getting a bulletwound is just retarded.

Also everything else mentioned in this thread.

Also where is my Ghoul 3 technology Raven B|

/rant
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i want games to stop being made in boardrooms, and actually be the product of one person's mind again.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want games that push limits, both in story and visuals. I'm sick to death of the same old plots, the same old art design. Things get tweaked a bit here and there to make it 'new', but it's honestly the same old cliches, over and over and over. Everything looks and plays like Gears of War, or Uncharted, or Halo, or whatever...innovation is a rarity. The marketing machine takes whatever made a shitton of money last week and changes it enough to not get sued. I want IPs and games that actually challenge the player - not in gameplay, but in content.

The more I think about it, the more this probably has to do with what Racer said. Really innovative, interesting games seem to be the product of one madman, or the Japanese, who may or may not be one madman. Sadly, I'm not in love with the style for the most part. The horse-by-consensus that is the modern AAA title is inevitably going to be fodder for the masses and stylistically stunted.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Perfect V.R. helmet and all, with options to enter other characters bodies and lives, start off as a normal everyday guy then boom, you see a cop in hot pursuit and you can switch to him then your driving the car in a high speed chase, then if you wanted boom your the criminal getting away from the cop, slapping your hostage female repeatedly yelling at her to shut up!

You got 5 years, go! :)

Or I have no clue!

Pm.me for copyrights! and the rest of the story. lulz

slightly O.T.
    Should also add In studios, no more lay offs and actual hirings.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I don't really mind all the awesomeness that today's games provide, but If there is tutorials and knowledge out there and you don't use it, it just seems that you are a bit ignorant.

Just my opinion.

As Artifice said, "innovation is rarity". Why? There are over 1000 artists on this forum that could easily think of 10-100 unique ideas... rather than asking the ARTIST they ask the marketing... are you fu... anyways.

What I would like to see is more games with amazing audio (songs and dialog), maybe some cool lighting, why not? Also more quality work! If it takes you 2-3 years to make a game that doesn't sell.. your doing it wrong. Most of what I wanted to say has already been said. Thanks PC!

Ahhhhh I'm really giving up on games recently, I don't play anything. I just don't know why people in some western countries don't reverse engineer things, either it be programs or hardware. THATS how japan leads in technology, they see something great, buy it, see how it works, make it better.

Get with it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Racer445 wrote: »
    i want games to stop being made in boardrooms, and actually be the product of one person's mind again.
    yeah
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm gonna also +1 to what racer said.
    I love gritty realistic shooters as much as the next guy but I want those crazy N64/ps1 platform/adventure games back. I feel like games these days are heading into more of a "simulation" type of deal.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm surprised no one else is disappointed by the audio in current games. Firing a shotgun outside sounds the same as firing one in a large church, its just not very immersive that way.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one else is disappointed by the audio in current games. Firing a shotgun outside sounds the same as firing one in a large church, its just not very immersive that way.

check this out for future audio tech.

http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/PrecompWaveSim/
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Long Term Dreams: I want new journey's and adventures. More moments of unintentional awesome and discoveries. I want memories. Technology wise, would like to see our game worlds mix with our real ones. Real time awesome looking augmented reality type games.

Idealistic views: It would be great if even more tools were developed that would allow AAA polish to be in the reach of indie developers. People who can be motivated into creating games without the purpose of maximizing profits by appealing to specific demographics of consumers.

Things seem to be going pretty well so far. Carry on.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: »

I think ti was mentioned in the OP.

That was REALLY impressive. I'm not sure the revolver reverb that sounded a bit like noise was exactly pleasant, but everything else like the footsteps, the reverb was absolutely great.

Being a HL2 modder it's also pleasing to see it work on Source. :D
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Uhhh... My art work...

That would be nice!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm changing my answer to Jesse's Artwork.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Better ways of controlling the world and interacting, i hate having to solve 100 puzzles using the same interactions.

So in other words more dynamic puzzles like shadow of the collossus bosses and hl2's gravity gun.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Immersion. I guess lighting and other things you mentioned fall in there, but basically anything that makes you feel less like you're playing a game and more like you live in ___'s universe. Bioshock, oblivion, san andreas and half life 2 did it the best for me, they might not have had the best lighting or the best animation or the best graphics, but they managed to make it so damn real. It's like that scientific study where you have to count passes on a basketball court while a gorilla runs around in the background and 90% of people don't see it. anything that makes you focus in so much on the world that you tune out the bad _ and substitute your own.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More sandbox style games, where you can tinker around and have your own experience, instead of the experience. Less movies where you occasionally get to shoot.
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    What i don´t want to see anymore in games would be better because it gives more freedom to the designers

just please go away from the boring tropical islands, the player has seen like a dozent times.

No automatic regeneration option.

No Facebook similiar connections in the games Im always wondering whats so interesting in writing a automatic sentence ; playing game x for now x hours and won x?

I want to see more uniqe caracters even if people are moaning because it is new and a bit different from the general caracters.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Dynamic world. One thing I loved with Stalker was that each playthough wasn't always the same. As example:

First time I played the game, I never went north, because there was some nasty army border guys there, but my second play I went there, pissed them off and I ran away, only to return to the village later on and discover that it had been taken over by the army guys. Totally unexpected.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Keg wrote: »

Thanks for the link - I haven't heard (har har) much about this, interesting read.

Personally, I'd like to see more widespread implementation of more intelligent radiant AI systems. I think it was in a Guild Wars 2 article or interview that someone mentioned a hypothetical scenario where you rob a store one day, then a few days later the store goes out of business - that would just be too awesome.

Even if graphics tech stood still for a few years (har har), I think better radiant AI would add so much potential to a gaming experience if implemented well and not just bolted on. I'd wager it would be really well-received by gamers in general too, as well as being a major selling point for all those poor suits and marketing folks.

Oh, and better lip-synch, natch.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    for a start: freely reconfigurable controller button layouts and camera controls as standard in console games.
    nothing makes me delete a demo faster than annoying controls.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'd like to see them get rid of this talky talky dialogue scripted nonsense, and have some semblance of approaching AI's.

Reasonable speech synthesizers, characters that behave, that dont just run at the player and that have the minimum intelligence of an insect(that would be something).

I'd like to see developers stop making the same game they made ten years ago over and over again. Developers to approach even a tiny bit, pushing the boundaries/innovating, and make games that arent corridor shooters(even games that arent corridor shooters are because you are only allowed to go down that corridor).

What happened to games like Deus Ex why arent we playing in whole worlds where you have a million choices?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    decent story and no bald or short brown hair main character.

Fun gameplay that doesnt make me want to throw the controler after 30 mins.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    gameplay that is inovative. sick of playing mission based games.
    no more b movie fmv that you cannot skip.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Better check points, having one before a minute long boss movie intro is never cool. I also hate it when it puts you 5 minutes away from the boss so you have to kill the same brutal army each time before you fight the boss.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Art that's actually evocative of something, and inspiring, and interesting, instead of thoughtless mechanical replications. Concept art usually blows away the final product in tone/style/communication, technical limits aside.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    i would really like to see my name in the credits.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better check points, having one before a minute long boss movie intro is never cool. I also hate it when it puts you 5 minutes away from the boss so you have to kill the same brutal army each time before you fight the boss.

Seriously. There are (supposed) professionals that sit around and make these decisions. Like a fat chick in spandex, at some point they had to say 'yeah, this is a good idea'...and they're just wrong, over and over. I've spent years trying to understand where these people get their justification, but I really can't grok it.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skippable cutscenes for when you have failed and want to try again..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Women with practical clothing/armor.
    4982954083_bc601c94ef_b.jpg

Depends on what you mean with practical, since I can see certain practical uses with that outfit when doing certain activities. ;)
  • Mode Magenta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Less guns, more nuns.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mode Magenta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @McGreed - Prostrating lady parts like so many red-assed baboons eventually makes you feel like a baboon yourself. Women are real and lovely it'd be nice to see them represented in a cool believable way. It's typical gamers haven't had much experience with the joys of ladies so they seem just as magical as an Orc or Dragon so might as well show them "jiggly parts that make me feel funny" *sarcasm. Your response deflates me.

I find the portrayal of male protagonists in video games to be equally insulting to be quite frank.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Yes but the Men are less represented as fuck pieces / eye candy. Its rare that you see a strong female role. I think its getting a little better but its still pretty unbalanced.

Personally Id love to see more games focusing on story and characters, divergent and meaningful plot threads really make a game for me. Even the little differences importing a save into MassEffect2 made, really improved the game for me. Knowing that my decisions would have broader consequences into the next game made me consider things more and increased the tension in some situations.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    i would like games to be more freeroam-sandbox, less linear. I think every game would be much cooler if you could just drive/run around the enviro, and do other task. I mean how Mafia or GTA does it, every game could have much more hours of playing...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I would like for the Good/Evil reward system competently removed from all games. The big problem with this is that lots of games reward you with bouns based on if your good or evil so your forced to pick a path and go full tilt on it. Instead of giving you points that unlock good or evil abilitys let players choose which ability's they want. Will give you a lot more ability to really make characters your own and wont kinda force you to always be a dick or always be good to level your evil/good side. This way you can decied when you want to be a dick or when you want to be a nice guy.

The world isnt black and white its shades of grey and I would rather play a game that has multiple options that isnt limited to Evil, Good and Neutral. Make the choices less obvious what is good or bad. In reality you cant know if a choice is always going to be good or bad so it would be cool if sometimes you get options where it makes it unclear what will happen until you choose or the opposite happens of what you thought would.

Also more real impact on the world with your choices. Lets say this one town loves you because you helped save them from a dragon but the blacksmith hates you because one mission you tricked his son which lead to his death by the dragon. And the town across the way hates you because you didnt bring the dragon and its treasure back to there town. idk stuff like that would be pretty cool I think. No more oh hey im the good guy everyone loves me crap.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Modular/procedural convincing storylines, with AI and conversation trees to match.
  • Mode Magenta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Yes but the Men are less represented as fuck pieces / eye candy.

I don't know about that - any female gamers around here with a view on the way men are portrayed in games?
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Its rare that you see a strong female role. I think its getting a little better but its still pretty unbalanced.

True for some types of games more than others. Certainly of the AAA action titles with muscle-bound manly men - COD, Gears of war etc. but then I don't think people play those games looking for depth of story and character. If they did I'm sure they would be sorely disappointed.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Without going too much into the story or game play, what do you want to see done or done better in video games?

Better animation?
    Cooler shaders?
    Tessellation?
    Better audio (Precomputed Wave Simulation for Real-Time Sound Propagation of Dynamic Sources in Complex Scenes)?
    Better lighting?
    Innovative controls? (better feedback than vibration, move/kinetic)
    3d?

Anything else?

Gameplay plz .... We can see better graphic and sound but the gameplay does not improve that much.
    Some even downgraded.
    For example as fighting game fan, was dissapointed many people don' t want to move on to more interactive gameplay
    My childhood dream [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1cHynIXweE[/ame]
    Is to play fighting game with interactive environment. It's pioneered by wrestling game but always being overlooked.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    "They'll kick your ass till shit comes out of ur ears"
    lol

Completely OT, but - I just love this scene:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnBrEAzvE4[/ame]
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been waiting years for somebody to come out with a fighting game with levels I can run around in properly. Different area's, obsitcall=s and whatnot. They've already got all the necessary movement controls ontop of the combat.
    Street Fighter DM with mele weapons would just kill.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    AI and physics.

Graphics, AI, and physics seem to me like they should be equal pillars of immersive game play. The graphics part is becoming pretty damn amazing, but the other two pillars hardly feel like they have changed in the past decade.

Edit: And can we move past hit points while were at it? That was a silly abstraction invented for pen and paper RPGs, and even pen and paper RPGs have been trying to innovate in that area for many years. Meanwhile, video games cant come up with anything more interesting than health packs, power-ups, and recharging shields.

There is no excuse for Dwarf Fortress to be so far ahead of big budget games in all of these areas!