Home Technical Talk

Is there a "Preserve UV" option in Max like Maya?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
At work i use Maya 2009 Unlimited and we have an option enabled Preserve UV's" at home i use Max 2008,does it have the same option?
I also have Max 2010/11 in case they have it.

Also in Maya theres Delete Edge that when you select an edge or loop it removes the vert as well.
In Max in Editable Poly i click Remove under Edge Subobject it only removes the edge and leaves the Vert,again,any suggestions?

Thanks

Replies

• McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    In Editable Poly you have an checkbox that actually says "Preserve UV", if that's what you mean. Just look down the menupanel for it.

3DS Max got it as well, but use a shortcut for it, CTRL+Backspace removes edges and the vertexs.
  • Wombatinahat
    Yes there is a preserve uv tickbox in the editable poly options. you can collapse the stack to preserve UVs too.

To remove the verts as well just select the loop you want to remove and hold control when you click remove edge.

hope this helps
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Yes there is a preserve uv tickbox on turbosmooth if its the distortion from that thats causing you problems

are you using a different max than i do? o_O
  • Wombatinahat
    Nah just memory fail :P
  • seir
    Don't know why sometimes preserve UVs didn't work correctly. The texture is stretched whil moving the edge...
  • kdm3d
    If you are changing triangulation on an edge of a UV island, Max doesn't know how to compensate for it. Any UV's not on the edge can be tweaked without an issue (for the most part). If its on an island edge, you can move it as long as max doesn't automatically change the triangulation...
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    also reset xform from time to time does the job if preserve UVs does strange things
  • Mark Dygert
    seir wrote: »
    Don't know why sometimes preserve UVs didn't work correctly. The texture is stretched whil moving the edge...
    Because the object was scaled non-uniformly. in the future when you scale an object it is wise to do it in "Sub-Object mode" like element instead of "Object mode". This is why its important to reset the scale, Hierarchy Tab > Reset Scale, or like Neox pointed out nuke it from orbit with the Reset Xform utility which does a handful of other things in addition to the one you need.

Also keep in mind that Reset Xform on the utilities tab is different than the Xform modifier. The only thing the xform modifier does is allow you to scale objects, in object mode, without effecting the object actual scale value. The utility adds this modifier and its pretty useless for what we use the utility for, which is disappointing because of this useless addition you have to collapse your stack.

The other added nasty bonus the utility does is reorient your objects pivot point to the world. for bones this is a death sentence, for anything you might use the local pivot for its a pain in the ass. Like scaling with the pivot set to local:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/3dsmax_Scale01.gif
    Which is hard to do when your local pivot no longer points out the top of your object but is realigned to the world Z up.
  • Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Vig wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that Reset Xform on the utilities tab is different than the Xform modifier. The only thing the xform modifier does is allow you to scale objects, in object mode, without effecting the object actual scale value. The utility adds this modifier and its pretty useless for what we use the utility for, which is disappointing because of this useless addition you have to collapse your stack.
    That is not quite true...the Reset XForm Utility takes the current Transformation Matrix (minus the Position data) and copies it into that XForm Modifier. Then it resets the Objects TM back to the defaults, effectively turning and scaling the object...say you create a cube and rotate/scale it, reset XForm and then delete the XForm Modifier, you have your original cube back...

(Fun Fact: while testing it right now, I initially failed, because scaling in SubObject-Mode is kinda hardwired into my brain...facepalm-moment of the day... :D)
  • CharDilla
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I was wondering how you use "preserve uv's" in maya. I'm currently using Maya 2010. Thanks.
  • TheKennny
    Google brought me here, so there might be others who still haven't found this in the newer Mayas. It is a checkbox "Preserve UVs" under the move tool options. If you don't know how to reach the option box simply double click on the 'move' icon in the left side of the screen.
  • kraemology
    Offline / Send Message
    kraemology polycounter lvl 7
    Is there a hotkey for "Preserve UVs" in max? If not, I'd like to set one up, but I can't seem to find where the preserve UV option is in the "customize user interface" menu.
  • Mark Dygert
    kraemology wrote: »
    Is there a hotkey for "Preserve UVs" in max? If not, I'd like to set one up, but I can't seem to find where the preserve UV option is in the "customize user interface" menu.
    It's not exposed in the customize UI menu as far as I know. What you end up doing is creating a simple macroscript and bind that to a key.

First you turn on the listener, then you toggle preserveUV on/off to see what the commands are then you include those commands in a "if then else" statement and wrap it all in a macro script header. Then when you run the script, it shows up under the customize UI menu as something you can assign a shortcut to.

The script would look something like this:
    macroScript PreserveUVMacro
    Category:"MyTools"
    toolTip:"Toggles PreserveUV"
    buttontext:"TogPersUV"
    (
    PreserveUV = $.modifiers[#Edit_Poly].preserveUVs

if preserveUV == false then (
        $.modifiers[#Edit_Poly].preserveUVs = on
        )
    else (
        $.modifiers[#Edit_Poly].preserveUVs = off
        )
    )

Or just ctrl-c, this script into a new script (Main Menu > Maxscript > New Script), ctrl-v, Ctrl-e to evaluate it (run the script) and then assign it to a shortcut.
  • kraemology
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mark! Is there any way to toggle "Preserve UVs" if the object is an editable poly? At the moment it will only function if I have an "edit poly" modifier assigned to the object, and this is a modifier i never user because all my hot keys are already assigned under editable poly; not "edit poly."

I'm definitely not a programmer so any light you can shed would be appreciated. Either way, thanks for the help :-)
  • kraemology
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I did some tinkering and found a solution for toggling the "Preserve UV" option when the object is an editable poly.
    macroScript PreserveUVMacro
    Category:"MyTools"
    toolTip:"Toggles PreserveUV"
    buttontext:"TogPersUV"
    (
    preserveUVs = $.preserveUVs

if preserveUVs == false then (
       $.preserveUVs = on
        )
    else (
       $.preserveUVs = off
        )
    )

I'm not a programmer by any means, so this may very well be an ugly or inefficient method of coding the solution, but as far as I can tell it works.

Thanks again for the help Mark :)
  • SeveredScion
    Offline / Send Message
    SeveredScion polycounter lvl 12
    Mark Dygert and kraemology, you guys rock!
    I use as many hotkeys as possible and the script is way helpful.
    BTW if it matters to anyone I found this thread by googling 3ds max preserve UVs script
    I just registered here, it was long time coming.
    Cheers all