Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning hand painted style

proximity
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
proximity polycounter lvl 9
howdy guys hows it going again, trying to improve on my hand painted stylized textures, thought id do a good old sheild, ive read through most of the threads on hand painted stuff on the forum and have picked up a few good tips :)

at the moment this is sitting fairly high poly for a sheild at 2900 tri's this is mainly because of the chain, only really worked on the wood so far still lots to do will keep you updated
betterlighting.jpg

Replies

• proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    little bit more progress on this still long way to go before im happy
    file.php?id=7941
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I think you could add some more detail to the spikey horns and chains, the chains I would probably make brighten them up more, and give them a grey/bluish feel. They're too dark to actually see the detail there. Good work on the wood :)
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    Looking like a good start. The first thing i'd suggest is to not have viewport lighting in your screengrabs or renders at all. In fact, turn it off when working. This will make you put the detail in the texture and vertex colours.
    As for the textures themselves, don't get bogged down with small strokes and fine detail. Bold, simple stuff works well with this kind of stuff. Less is more and all that.

Looking forward to more!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    wood is a great start, the metal is boring, the chains could use a bit more contrast, maybe some ao style lighting to make it pop.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    2900 triangles... that's more triangles than an entire character in some diffuse painted games :\. You probably don't need to model out all the chains, and instead just paint it right on the shield.

I think the metal trim could be darker and save the brights for the highlights. Add some details where different surfaces meet each other like shadows and dirt. It could also use some other details that suggest how the shield was constructed like bolts or nails.

I think the thing that might really be holding the shield back is the overall design. It's not quite specific enough. Is it an orc shield or some poor human warrior? I think you should think of things that symbolize the characters that will be using it and inject that into the design as much as possible. At the moment, it looks like a pentagonal shield with some chains on it for no real reason. Maybe if they were securing some emblem or skull in place. The spikes suggest something more barbaric too, but they feel kind of tacked on at the moment (I'm not sure how they're coming out of the metal like that).

The texture looks pretty decent so far though. I like the changes you made from the first pic to the second.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Snader wrote: »

chainsrotation.gif

These models are all 20 triangles per shackle, which would end up at about 1280 triangles per chain, 5K for all the chains. A bit poly heavy still, so maybe just a simple box? That would end up around 2-2.5K polies for the chains.

Still too much? Then you could get tricky like this:
    chainscheap.png
    This setup would cost you about 160 or so polies per chain, coming to a total of about 6-700 polies for the whole set. Sounds affordable enough.

You can combine the techniques as well, having more detailed ones on eye height (like shep said) for more awesomeness.

Here's some ideas for the chains.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Imo just make the chains out of geo but use fewer links by exaggerating their scale. It looks like you're going in a stylized direction so it would fit fine.

It also might be worth thinking about redesigning the use of the chains. They don't look like they are serving any real purpose from the front view. Maybe something more interesting like the chains are mounting some sort of emblem onto the front? There are plenty of good ideas!

Hope this helps!
  • arun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the clean one.. First Image than the second... The chains should have a better placement...
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    cool idea. for the metal i'd add some more contrast, some darker darks. it looks a little too much like a silver bar to me, i think it would look better overall darker, and add a slight brown hue to it to give it some flavour. keep at it!
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im also trying to learn how do just this :) i like your shield its really coming along!

dont have any suggestions though :( maybe put in axe in the middle of the sheild where that GIANT gash is :) or some arrows?