Home Technical Talk

Blender control fluids

Hi Im a total noob when it comes to fluids and particles, and I am in need of some technical advice on how to do the thing Im looking for:

My whish is to have a fluid, whilst being poured from a teapot into empty air, morph into a solid teacup, and have the fluid continue pouring till the cup is full and then morphing some of the latter fluid into sugar cubes or a teaspoon for example.

my discription isn't quite clear , but you may have recognized it from the disney film alice in wonderland, in the scene where the march hare gives alice some tea. here is a link to that scene: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InSn2BLDwfQ[/ame]

skip to 1:25 and you will see the exact thing as i descriped.

heres another pic:

tea.jpg

Im not sure if this is even possible in blender, but basic advice would be very much apreciated

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure about blender but in Max you can morph particles to and from shapes using particle flow. With FumeFX and Thinking Particles it gets even easier and more realistic.

You could probably do something much easier with a melt modifier playing in reverse, or to make morph/blend shapes to animate how you need it.
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Blender is capable of doing this but I have personally never tried it. Your best bet is to go on Blenders main site and ask their forum goers for help if you need it.

Or you could try figuring it out via this tutorial on Blenders fluid system, which happens to show a fluid in a teacup.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Physics/Fluids
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe this could help
    http://www.blendercookie.com/2010/03/29/introduction-to-fluid-simulator/
    There are several tutorials of showing how to use particles too.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    Vig wrote: »
    With FumeFX and Thinking Particles it gets even easier and more realistic.
    could you tell me where i need to look for this in fumeFX? thx
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You would use Fume for Smoke/steam since its a hot liquid, the morphing would be handled with standard operators in Particle Flow more than likely. You could probably use it for water but there are better tools in Particle flow for that as well as other plug-ins like realflow. Now that I think about it RealFlow might have some morphing operations also, but I can't be certain I've only partially messed around with the straight collision simulations.

Eric Ennis has a good "Water Candle" tutorial that covers the effect pretty well, Part C about half way in if I remember correctly. But there are a lot of other Fume tutorials out there too if you're looking to get more familiar with Fume. I think he uses Krakatoa too which if your sims are running long, it can really help speed them up.