Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diesel punk-Laptop computer

First time poster of my own work. LONG time viewer of threads.
So, i'll start off here is a concept of something i found when i was stumbling some steampunk reference. The artist considers it diesel punk, i am still not 100% on the whole idea of it, BUT i love the concept of this computer.

Original concept: artist unknown
280209___retro_PC_by_600v.jpg

my work THUS far:
diesel_computer.jpg

Replies

• Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    cool, the wholes in the rim looking thing on the side of the comp are off, its more triangular, yours is like tear drop.

the port/intake on the top/front is more of a square than an oval.

the spacing on the keyboard in off where its inset and extruded inward, the top portion is thicker(causing you to have to make the gauges smaller to fit them in, they should be bigger). i dont think a chamfer box is the right primitive to start with for the keyboard.

sweet concept, could come out really cool man, keep at it. looks like that udk cell shader would work nicely on this ;)
  • scaryhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes thank you, i did notice the keyboard was a bit off. i will def look at the side vent and front intake
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I had no idea that diesel-punk was even a genre, (seems a bit to gimmicky) but I love the concept, and the fact the computer looks like a 50's convertable on a desk.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Razgriz wrote: »
    I had no idea that diesel-punk was even a genre, (seems a bit to gimmicky) but I love the concept, and the fact the computer looks like a 50's convertable on a desk.

Did some research after hearing the term the other day it actually kinda makes sense to have a sub genre of whats considered cyber punk. Steam punk a subset of cyber punk is design in relation to the Victorian age having robust boilers and steam engines to power mechanics.

Where as diesel punk refers to design and mechanics often associated with post WWII design. IE more streamlined shapes and forms combined with the tech of the time all wrapped up in a nice little idealized bow.

They are similar conceptually but very different in context.

That being said love the concept and great start on blocking out forms. Take a closer look at the overall shapes though

-The box vent shape on top needs to be wider
    -The top right cylinder with switch needs to be inset more to towards the back and to the left a tad
    -And the rectangle with the 3 smaller switches below it needs to be pushed forward more while retaining the non symmetrical shape on top.

Kinda vague I know but best I can do without making a paintover..

Again I'm a 3d Novice so take it or leave just some observations and happy poly pushing
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Also for those interested, the term "retro futurism" turns up a lot of good stuff.
  • an aggressive napkin
    Great concept, Dont forget the Hinges on the side of the tower!
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 14
    He's one of my favorite designers. Besides his livejournal account in the watermark, I follow him as 600v on deviantart. Tons more where that came from - including vehicles. Great stuff, and you're off to a good start working from it.