Home General Discussion

Carmack and his iphone.

Replies

• kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    Autocon wrote: »
    I wonder why they went the way of it being exclusive to Zenimax. Great way to make there games look better but I doubt that will net them the same kinda cash as making money off developers using the editor. Seems like a really bad business decision to me. Have to remember great games are great because there fun and have awesome gameplay not because they look better then all other games out there or are built on awesome tech.

Then again im not a businessman
    Totally agree, why the hell would they not try and do what Epic did with the Unreal engine. It just seems stupid to me.

Rage looks awesome but putting it on the iphone is not as great as it seems. I mean I played the Mass Effect game on my iPod Touch and it only took about 30 minutes for my device to heat up. Just imagine what Rage would do.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I dont see the point anyway.. it will run for 10 minutes then the battery would die..
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    sounds great, but its hard to judge from that video i think because he does not show what is dynamic and what is not.
    Nice textures, normal maps, baked lightmaps and post-process is not a new thing on iPhone.

I mean, he did not just run the console version on iphone did he?

Maybe I missed something, but to me it looked great but quite not clear from tech point of view.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    John Carmack posted a bit of an awesome blog post on some of the develeopment thats been going on with the Rage iphone game. Also, a real screenshot from the game at the top! :D

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/10/29/john-carmack-discusses-rage-on-iphoneipadipod-touch/
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    I wonder why they went the way of it being exclusive to Zenimax. Great way to make there games look better but I doubt that will net them the same kinda cash as making money off developers using the editor. Seems like a really bad business decision to me. Have to remember great games are great because there fun and have awesome gameplay not because they look better then all other games out there or are built on awesome tech.

Then again im not a businessman

Honestly ID hasn't been a big player in the engine bizz in quite a long time. How many games were ever released with doom3 based engines? I can't think many....
    Epic has pretty much killed ID, when it comes to licensing engines.

Competing with Unreal in engine licensing is like competing with WoW in MMOs, its just a losing proposition. You need to invest way too much time and effort into it, and it has to really be a huge success to be worth it. I think people forget how small of a studio ID really is.