Home Technical Talk

Modeling Window Tracery

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey all.

So I'm trying to model out the window tracery for a gothic window. I was hoping to be able to create the tracery with lines and then extrude it out into my mesh. Unfortunately it seems the line is screwy in some places so when I extrude it, the geometry gets really messed up.
tracery_mesh.jpg

Anyone know how to do this easily without having to extrude it out by hand? Thanks!

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 17
    assuming youre using max, i used to use the modifier "extrude" directly on the spine and deleted the cap faces, and then redid the cap faces manualy
    i also recomend only doing the half and then symmetry the other half
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry forgot to mention is 3DS max. Yeah, I'm currently trying my luck with the extrude modifier and cleaning up the faces... it worked a bit better than simply converting to editable poly, but not much. Guess there's no easier way other than manually cleaning up the faces. Better than trying to extrude it out from a box though. Thanks for the suggestion. And I love the realistic version of Homer for your Avatar!
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    arrange is on it!
    Drawing out complex shapes with line tool, by default, often gives this results when changed to a polygon. Two way I control is depending on the situation; 1) what arrange said, extrude and clean up, or 2) use multiple lines so you have more, less complex polygons to clean up. Either way, this will require a lot of manual clean-up in some way or another. I prefer to add edge loops between major shapes in the polygons.

All that aside, you'll need a nice clean mesh for so that the smoothing groups render properly for a low poly, or high detail for baking.
  • Mark Dygert
    As long as your stuck cleaning things up you could select the edges that outline your cutout shapes, convert them to shape/splines, convert that to poly, shell it, and use those shapes to "gasp" ProBolean out the shapes on a simple piece of geometry. You can scale, rotate and close the shapes you've added to the ProBolean. It doesn't calculate the final edge flow until all the shapes are added so it often comes out pretty clean.

There are some scripts on script spot that also help remove lone verts along edges which helps a lot with clean up of stray verts. It also can help to triangulate the mesh and then quadrify it before cleaning it up.

And yea like Arrange said, the symmetry modifier is your friend.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I tried using Boolean and that didn't work at all... What's ProBoolean?
  • Mark Dygert
    ProBolean is what Bolean should of been all along. It was added to max2009 I think.
    Its under The Main Menu > Create > Compound > ProBoolean. It's not prefect but its a hell of a lot better and figuring out the final edge flow when you add a bunch of shapes.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPn-hPXy4U[/ame]

The make quads option is GREAT...
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    That's funny, I didn't even notice ProBoolean... I wonder if that'd work any better... mind you I'm almost finished cleaning up the extrude but I'd like to know for future use.
  • Mark Dygert
    yea since you have the edges/shapes already draw out, it wouldn't be too much work to convert the negative space shapes to solid objects and play with it and get a feel for it. Like I said its not perfect but it has some handy features.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help guys! You all rock!
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    ProBooelan is awesome :)
    Vig wrote: »
    There are some scripts on script spot that also help remove lone verts along edges which helps a lot with clean up of stray verts.

The 'turn to poly' modifier does that by default. pretty handy. (see:remove mid-edge verts)
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I just tried proBolean and it worked very nicely. Only problem is I want it to be quite a bit lower poly... the quads made too many divisions. But a very nice tool none the less.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    You dont need to quad it. you can just leave it as it is and do the cleanup yourself