Home Technical Talk

normal maps, i have never made one right.

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Hoopla! polygon
seriously, am i completely inept? i have tried so many times to make a decent normal map and it always comes out with errors!

is it just the nature of the beast? do normal maps always require tons of redoing and a headache?

on the bright side, my constant researching has lead to my learning lots of new things but, for christs sake, just work! just one time, just work like the first or second pass.

the disp maps in zb seem to work fine for me. i honestly think i have some sort of normal map learning disability or something. sigh, /rant.

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Just post some pictures of your specific issues, check the wiki and no doubt you'll be able to resolve your problems in no time.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Any pictures of the problem?
    What app do you use?

I did struggle with normal maps for a long time, but when i changed from modo to 3ds max it worked out ;)
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    could you be a bit more specific, as to which app you are baking in... what errors... also there is several error-centric threads on this subforum, maybe looking through them helps, or posting the problems you have with a good name describing the artifact (i.e. renaming your thread).
    that way it's easier to help you with, and people with similar issues can find your thread for help as well.

if you are on 3dsmax, then there is this viewport display issue that will not show them correctly in real-time viewports (unless using the quality mode fix, see http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72861)
  • ncompton13
    Offline / Send Message
    ncompton13 polycounter lvl 8
    well if you can't make them in ZB make them in photoshop. either use the black and white method in which you represent depth by the brighter the white. or draw out what you want and use the nvidia plug in for photoshop to create a normal map. it'll produce the typical blue pink blur and then plug that into maya and change the bump to a tangent space normal.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Seriously... no.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Seriously... no.

What, the hand-authoring in grayscale and converting to tangent space? It's perfectly acceptable for hard-surface work. We used it extensively on FlightSim 10/11, and it's much more time-efficient than modeling tiny nuts and bolt that aren't going to be more than a few pixels anyway.

It has its drawbacks, but it's an extremely useful tool in the toolbox. Having a library of small grayscale surface details you can crazybump onto a baselayer baked normal is VERY useful, and fast.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with GarageBay9 here. While I do prefer to generate my normal maps from a high poly model, there are some surfaces that just don't need to be baked from a zbrush sculpt. I have have alot of success with texture-generated normal maps. And like GarageBay mentioned, it's a huge timesaver to overlay high frequency normal map details onto a nice normal map that was baked down from a high poly model.

Completely avoiding such a technique would be a huge waste. Take chipping paint on metal for example. It is much easier to make a normal map generated from grayscale, than actually sculpting the chipping paint.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Well he did not mention anything about high frequency details.

So the way i see it he have problem with normal map baking, so making the whole map in photoshop wouldnt be the best idea, but would be nice if the topic starter could show us some images soon ;)
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Well he did not mention anything about high frequency details.

So the way i see it he have problem with normal map baking, so making the whole map in photoshop wouldnt be the best idea, but would be nice if the topic starter could show us some images soon ;)

...this is very true. Pictures help. :\
  • EarthQuake
    Its funny but the guys who also say they do all sorts of bump map detail in photoshop claim that its faster, when in reality doing the same thing in 3d is just as fast, more accurate(works perfeclty with any uv layout, even when you have distortion, which is very common) and gives you things like AO bakes for free(assuming you're baking from a high, which you should be doing to get the correct shading/base form for your mesh, regardless if you're adding detail in PS or not)...

So, the same things that are very quick to do, like having a library of bolts and pasting them on, are just as easy to do in 3d, and often times you can use even better tools, like instancing evenly spaced bolts on a spline in a 3d app, instead of hand placing 57 little bolts in photoshop....
  • Chai
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 18
    I think a solid workflow helped me a lot.
    It's real headache to work around problems when it takes you a few minutes just to prepare and bake everything.

For example xnormal is a good app because you can prepare all the settings once, and then it's just one click to do bakes. (even if you change those models)
    From modo I use my pipeline IO script which is basically the same idea, I click one button and it updates the lowpoly models, cages, etc ...
    And on top of that there are a lot of packages which let you preview normals in realtime. (for example max)

So at the end it takes me two clicks to bake a normalmap, then just alt-tab to my viewing app and I can technically see results in almost realtime.

Over the years you become more used to the normalmap dingo, but I still find previewing essential so I can focus on work.
  • Farfarer
    A bit OT but: How do you get cages to work in modo, Ariel?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    If I use image based normal maps I always use crazybump to generate the normal & to overlay it on my original normal map. The photoshop overlay method isn't nice.
  • Chai
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 18
    Talon I have added functionality to my pipelineIO script via morph maps, it works exceptionally well.
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    If I use image based normal maps I always use crazybump to generate the normal & to overlay it on my original normal map. The photoshop overlay method isn't nice.

Did you turn off the blue channel on the overlay layer, duplicate the layer, set it to multiply, and turn off everything except for the blue channel?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    LMP wrote: »
    Did you turn off the blue channel on the overlay layer, duplicate the layer, set it to multiply, and turn off everything except for the blue channel?

yes, there's a thread somewhere where Ryan shows how the Photoshop method is incorrect.

As far as getting errors and what not, it's mostly down to your low poly and/or how you layout your UVs. I'm still new at it myself but one thing I've learned is: use Xnormal.