Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PK02 - SCI-FI Texture Set Released

PhilipK
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
Hi there, I put together this set containing revamped versions of old Natural Selection 2 textures I made for them, a long time has passed and (most) aren't used anymore (I've also cleared this with the them to release).

I decided to have a general theme on them of whitish, blackish and yellowish mainly. There are also letter and number decals included.

I released them in two versions: One HL2 Source version and one pure .TGA version where you can use them for whatever you like.

The Source set contains 98 materials.

DOWNLOADS:
Source version: http://philipk.net/portfolio/textures/pk02_source.zip
TGA version: http://philipk.net/portfolio/textures/pk02_tga.zip

Image of a few ones in the set:
pk02_scene.jpg

Well that's it. Hope some people still think it can be fun with a texture set release :P

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Nice stuff man. Very kind to release this to the community.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Oh snap! This is beyond awesome. I was just contemplating a new sci fi scene.

These look great, thanks so much for sharing! :)
  • vcool
    More Sci fi textures for Source is always great.
  • achillesian
    kind of like an sdk? Put it in sdk?
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice, thanks!
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    These will be nice to analyze and try to recreate, thanks. I always have a phobia of using anyone else's work because i feel cheap. I always either try to recreate it myself or not use it.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Super awesome, thanks for releasing these to the public, Philip! :)
  • Moosey_G
    This is very kind of you Philip, thanks!
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Wow. That's some nice art and it is very nice of you to share it. Thanks a lot, you rock!
    Too bad most of it won't be used, as you said.
    I hope they'll release the game soon btw. I've contributed a couple of assets for it too and I guess it would be kinda sad to see it not getting used.
  • PhilipK
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys! appreciated :)
    d1ver wrote: »
    Wow. That's some nice art and it is very nice of you to share it. Thanks a lot, you rock!
    Too bad most of it won't be used, as you said.
    I hope they'll release the game soon btw. I've contributed a couple of assets for it too and I guess it would be kinda sad to see it not getting used.

I'm not at all sad about that in any way. They did go into a more modular mesh based direction and I think that was a really good call. I did help them out with some sets for that as well.. Not as much as I wished I would. But working full time and making time for that as proved very hard sadly.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Damn philip I remember looking at some of your stuff when I was working for them as well, really blown away by the quality you hit, really pushed me hard to make sure my textures could match that bar (defiantly learned a far amount by studying them).
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks! It'll be cool to look these over
  • Illusive
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    legend! thanks man
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    You know, a tutorial on creating one of these white/yellow textures would be just as awesome :poly121:
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Man, the internet needs more folks like you. I am endlessly grateful.
  • PhilipK
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again, I'm glad you can make any use of it :)
    frell wrote: »
    You know, a tutorial on creating one of these white/yellow textures would be just as awesome :poly121:

Absolutely, I was planning on making a kind of "brick texture" tutorial for people who doesn't necessarily want to/have time to go into a sculpting app to create it.

But making such a tutorial more general with hints of stuff I usually do with Photoshop only both with normals and diffuse/specs/gloss etc.
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Wow I just got a chance to browse through the textures and there really great quality. Im going to have to study these. Do you use alot of photo source or hand paint? Very interesting to see the strong variation in the spac maps. Thanks for releasing these and I'd love to see some tutorials from you.
  • PhilipK
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 wrote: »
    Wow I just got a chance to browse through the textures and there really great quality. Im going to have to study these. Do you use alot of photo source or hand paint? Very interesting to see the strong variation in the spac maps. Thanks for releasing these and I'd love to see some tutorials from you.

Thanks, it's a mix usually. I tend to work a a lot with photos first, to get a quick base and then go in and handpaint masks like scratches and rust and stuff, I also try and add subtle gradients wherever I can to add a bit of depth, but have to be careful with that depending on how the texture is supposed to tile.

Other than that I add some subtle brightness/hue variations to different plates.
    It's very easy when you work with something like metal plates or any type of tiles or brick, since you can easily add a lot of variation to your texture by just altering the brightness/hue a bit over the different plates/stones etc.

Oh and I made the normal maps for everything first (most of them were old ones I just slightly updated) With the normals you can do the same, just add subtle angles on different plates (I had a few textures here where that was a bit too strong IMO, noticed later on). You can also "bevel in" or "bevel out" (dunno are probably better words for that) individual plates in the normal... this is especially good if you work with brick walls, huge variation quickly.
    And when you work with environment mapped materials especially you can add subtle large bevels or gradients in the normal of the plates. Will make the spec/envmap "climb" nicely over your surface instead of it being totally flat and only reflect a small part.

Went a bit over the top with the answer there perhaps :P This would generally be some of the points I want to add in a tutorial covering such stuff as well.

Anyhow, sorry for bringing this one up again, but I just wanted to say I updated the Source version now. It used uncompressed normals before. Thanks to a guy at another forum I tried out just compressing them, and as they aren't totally clean and with a lot of gradients etc in the normals the ingame difference was really minor/not noticible at all.

So yeah, if you planned to use this for anything in a Source level I'd recommend you to download it again... Sorry for that :poly136:
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    PhilipK, the legend! :)
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    very nice of you to share.
  • argonaar
    Sorry if I bring up an old thread but these textures are absolutely amazing! You have done an awesome work.

My only doubt is if I can use them for any kind of project or if they're just available to use with Source... because I'm working on a Unity project with some friends and some of the textures would be just PERFECT...
  • tama2251
    do you have the png file? cause i dont have money to convert it 
  • Uniquejjun