Home General Discussion

Sculptris 1.0 released!

Replies

• Moosey_G
    Hey Hertz, I'm trying to rotate on just one axis, but it's rotating on an angle even when I change the pivot position. Any advice?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Snap the camera (Z) to the side you want to rotate from and try to rotate globally from their.
  • Moosey_G
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Snap the camera (Z) to the side you want to rotate from and try to rotate globally from their.

For some reason I had to rotate from the bottom, but it still worked, thanks!
  • ultramedia
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    is there a shortcut to directly scale the size or strength of your brush?
    (I know about the alt ring, but you still have to click and drag on the dots in it)

*edit* oops... nvm... rtfm *blush*
  • Moosey_G
    ultramedia wrote: »
    is there a shortcut to directly scale the size or strength of your brush?
    (I know about the alt ring, but you still have to click and drag on the dots in it)

Shift and middle mouse I believe.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually if you just hold space+lmb and drag up/down it'll change the size or left/right to change the strength. You don't need to click on the dots. Alternativly you can use [ or ] to do up/down in brush size.
  • Michael Knubben
    The space menu doesn't come up for me, any idea as to why?
    I'm running win7.

edit: it's also not just invisible, holding space and dragging either which way doesn't change the brush, it only sculpts as if I wasn't holding space. Other shortcuts work fine, and I can change the brush-size with the brackets.
  • Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    I'm running Win7 (x64) and the space menu comes up fine. :/ In fact, it's awesome. I wish Photoshop had something similar. (Alt-right-click is so unintuitive, and I prefer getting away from stylus buttons if I can help it.)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like sculptris :) the performance is pretty good for me, this head is about 500 000 triangles pulled straight out the default sphere and doesnt feel slow at all, just been using this piece to try all the features and Im quite impressed.

sculptris_dude1.jpg
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    hmm, do you have tablet navigation turned on in the options menu. that seems to disable the space menu
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    I have no crashes, And i have loaded all sorts of images and Alphas :S

@Polyherz, Its there a way to Redo when you undo like when you press Ctrl+shift+Z in Zbrush?

@Blaizer, I mean powerful because to create Low poly organic stuff like Rocks, and other sorts of stuff its very usefull, you make the whole model in 1 App, Sculpt, paint and low poly, I painted the stone and then baked the Normals, Diffuse and AO maps with Xnormal, In the Teselated low poly model. that makes the job of making a Simple stone more simple.
    I agree that it still needs more improvements but for a 3 MB app that its also free, it works great. I dont know why it crashes soo much on you, or why goes so slow, I have tried it on 3 computers, and 1 of them is an Old Pentium 4 without HT, and with only 512 mb of ram.
    Im starting to belive that you may have a Gremlin on your pc or maybe a Poltergeist :P

stonelowpoly.png
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea: Like lefix said, if you have tablet navigation enabled the spacebar menu wont appear. If you don't however...hmm..

Cap Hotkill: Nope, no redo. That's on my list of essential new features to suggest for the next build though :)

Dado Almeida: Thats a strange bug, doesnt happen here. Will see theirs any info on that one.
  • ultramedia
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, mines not as pretty as some of the stuff people have put up so far, but it's my first sculpted character so I'm pretty pleased with sculptris at the moment...

100524_001900_sculptrisTest01.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    We definitively need a redo option, also It would be nice to have Click and DragReg or Dragdot like in Zbrush ^^ we dont need it to be overcrowed as Zbrush is, but we need most of the basic tools to work out quickly and easily, another thing it would be good its to have the Colour palette on the Right top corner while painting, that way you could chose or adjust colors quicker, it could have a hide option for those that dont wants too much Stuff on the Screen.

face51.png
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    By redo are you just reffering to redoing after an undo, or more like repeat last action? And for color just press "S" to bring up the color wheel and click outside it to exit.

Dado: I asked about your material issue and this is the response from another beta tester:

"that's not a bug, without shader support sculptris works with a light based shading in paintmode, without material, to allow color painting without glsl shaders."
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Redoing after an undo is the one, like in any normal app :P
    It would be good to be able to chose the Amount of Undos too, If you have enough memory you could enjoy of more undo's.
  • Michael Knubben
    You're right, I had Tablet Navigation on. Any reason why the two can't work together?
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I tried this, and Im fairly impressed! :O

The camera controls are actually reallllly nice, I so regret asked for a ZBrush license rather than MudBox because of that. I know you get used to it, but fuck me it's counter intuitive...

That being said, Sculptris got one hell of a future ahead, I hope people actually start using this.
  • HAL
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Really like this so far. Had only one crash but that might be cause of me silly loading a 3.5 mio poly highpoly :poly142:

Nice little tool, way more intuitive than zbrush imho
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea: Nope, no reason they shouldnt be able to work together. I've added it to the suggestions list for the next version.

HAL: Yea, you probably shouldn't try that :p My recommendation is to stay below 1mil polys for models in Sculptris. You can go higher, but it's not that well optimized yet compared to other sculpting apps.
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i'd like to see how far you can take a model with sculptris. i know the max facecount isn't as high as zbrush/mudbox, but it's probably not a fair comparison since those programs usually subdivide the whole mesh, whereas sculptris only adds new geometry where you add detail.
  • mickyg
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    I love the crease brush, it's so awesome. Does Zbrush or Mudbox have an equivalent? It makes sculpting so much easier...

This program is damn fun and quick to use, I love it!
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    wow this looks great, myself i'm not to fond of zbrush's controls but i'll check this out when i get home :D
  • Mr GetDown
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr GetDown polycounter lvl 18
    Ye a redo is essential, I naturally flick on and off my current changes, from a different angle, to review them.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Has anyone managed to import anything from Sculptris to 3ds max? Every time I tried to import something, I get an Invalid Vertex Index error. Kinda sucks if you can't use the sculpts you create anywhere else :/
  • Surfa
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Under the normals section of the import screen choose import from smoothing groups.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Surfa wrote: »
    Under the normals section of the import screen choose import from smoothing groups.

Heh thanks for the fast reply. I was just about to edit saying I found a way to import the meshes using MeshLab, but after playing around with the import options from gwobj importer's options it also worked.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Send me this sort of stuff next time so I can get it up on the news! DINK!

:D
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam: This thread actually was made just before pc 2.0 was released :p
    But I'll give you heads up when new versions are released.

v1.02 was released about two weeks ago, just a bug fix release though. Work on v2 hasn't started yet.
  • LetterRip
    Offline / Send Message
    LetterRip polycounter lvl 10
    mickyg,

i wrote a crease brush for Blenders sculpt tools - it is just pinch+draw, so by adjusting those settings on your draw or pinch brush you should be able to get the equivalent in ZBrush.