Home General Discussion

Headed to Europe, I've a question about currency

Replies

• sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Come to sunny Spain... we have great beaches and we love 'guiris' (you all are so funny) :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_WgN-1ouI[/ame]
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Don't leave Scotland without eating haggis and drinking Irn Bru. And Tennents. And Glenlivet.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ....I haven't been to europe yet but If I were to go I will go straight to chamonix & surroundings...looks wicked !!! do you guys rock climb or snowboard/ski down in vancouver area?
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't leave Scotland without eating haggis and drinking Irn Bru. And Tennents. And Glenlivet.

Go see some haggis in the wild first though, amazing creatures.

No but seriously, Irn Bru is so good for a hangover.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    nothing wrong with haggis, but Irn Bru (have some chips with vinegar with that haha!) takes a bit to get used to...
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    In Scotland, make sure you SPEND THE SCOTTISH pounds. Most foreign banks will NOT change them back to dollars (or anything else). They will only accept the regular British pounds (unless you're really lucky)

Wut? Scot pounds are as much legal tender as sterling pounds, even guernsey ones should be exchangeable if the bank does any kind of pound. If the teller refuses, you really should speak to the manager.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Kwramm wrote: »
    nothing wrong with haggis, but Irn Bru (have some chips with vinegar with that haha!) takes a bit to get used to...

So there's nothing wrong with eating sheep's lungs, liver and heart cooked in the sheep's stomach, but a carbonated soft drink takes getting used to? There's everything wrong with haggis. :)
    Go see some haggis in the wild first though, amazing creatures.

Shouldn't that be haggis's? Or haggi?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't get to try it when I visited, but I must admit, it does kinda look like a wound gone bad. On the other hand, organs has a shitton of protein. It's probably just our generation being squeamish about being reminded that meat is actually animals. But thats a whole other topic.

need to try it the next time i'm over, that and deep-fried pizza/marsbar. Although I'm a bit scared.

haggis.jpg
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    A living pacman ! Anyway an advice for the french subway, keep an eye on your bag~ (not the best country depiction but well~ u.u)
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    EzMeow wrote: »
    A living pacman ! Anyway an advice for the french subway, keep an eye on your bag~ (not the best country depiction but well~ u.u)

that many gays in Paris?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    assdam wrote: »

[*]France
    Unfortunately we won't have any time for Polycount visits.

you suck MAJOR balls, that's what it is, for real
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Most ppl in Paris speak atleast a bit of english but, please, introduce yourself in french or people will consider you as rude ignorant tourist (even more if you're american :/) and will give you the brush-off.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    voulez vous couche avec moi.. ce soir?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    bbob wrote: »
    Wut? Scot pounds are as much legal tender as sterling pounds, even guernsey ones should be exchangeable if the bank does any kind of pound. If the teller refuses, you really should speak to the manager.

The manager will tell you to shove off ;)

banks outside the UK just don't like the not-so-common UK notes. It's a fact.
    Heck, in Italy they didn't even want to exchange 1000 ATS (before the Euro days), nevermind that Austria is their neighbour and that it's a legal tender. I don't even want to know what the guys in that bank would have done about Scottish money lol ...so why make your own life difficult when there's an easy way to avoid it?
    danshewan wrote: »
    So there's nothing wrong with eating sheep's lungs, liver and heart cooked in the sheep's stomach, but a carbonated soft drink takes getting used to? There's everything wrong with haggis. :)

so it's not too different from your average sausage... you know what sausage skins are traditionally made of? ;)

Irn Bru... it's more like the taste that I find weird, rather than the tought of what weird chemicals it must take to brew that stuff in the first place :)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Things to Try

London: Pubs,some of the coolest places ive been drinking at,many have been around since the 1700's and even older i wager.

Ales, the local beers located in the pubs,many many different tastes and varieties

Gin and Tonic with lemon,couldnt have a more english cocktail

Fish n Chips

Shortbread

English breakfast tea, with milk and honey or lemon juice

traditional english breakfast

Indian food,lots of good curries to be eaten

Scotland

Whisky, 14 years or older,with a few ice cubes or cold water,not tap water!

France

Bageuttes: Cheap and some of the best bread in the world,youll often see people walking around with them as snacks

Wine: Red,white or Rose

Pastries: gained a good bit of weight during my trip to Paris,tried so many pastries. Best is one called a religous!!

Brie: goes well with bread and crackers!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    JO420 wrote: »

Whisky, 14 years or older,with a few ice cubes

no. Don't do this.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Ales rock :D. don't be put off by the names though. If you saw that clip of the Daily show with Obama and David Cameron you'll get what i mean :)

*puts on drink nazi hat*
    Seriously try the Whiskey sans ice, Ice just waters it down and makes it taste insipid.
    Shortbread is Scottish I believe. atleast the best shortbread I've had has been from scotland.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perfect listing of stereotypes there JO420 :D
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    perfect listing of stereotypes there JO420 :D

Sterotypes,are you serious?You mean the food stuff i suggested? Maybe i was off on the shortbread but those are things that countries are reknown for.

As fletch said the Ales rock and for the whisky,maybe not ice cube but a small bit of water will bring the flavors out.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome stereotypes! everywhere has its speciality..except ireland we have mud and potatoes.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Haha I love the red/white/rose wine suggestion, that'll really help when you're in France looking at the average wine charts with a hundred different wines on them :p
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Haha I love the red/white/rose wine suggestion, that'll really help when you're in France looking at the average wine charts with a hundred different wines on them :p

Ahh i only suggested it because North Americans are not really known for being wine drinkers :)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Whisky, 14 years or older,with a few ice cubes

No ice, please. Try an Islay whisky like Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Caol Isla, Laphroig or something, with about 50/50 whisky and tap water (which allows you to actually taste the whisky, rather than just the alcohol). You don't get that smoky/peaty taste and smell in other whiskies/bourbons so it's pretty unique.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    No ice, please. Try an Islay whisky like Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Caol Isla, Laphroig or something, with about 50/50 whisky and tap water (which allows you to actually taste the whisky, rather than just the alcohol). You don't get that smoky/peaty taste and smell in other whiskies/bourbons so it's pretty unique.

But the chlorine found in tap water affects the taste of the whisky,go with bottle water instead.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    on the whisky front I recommend Bowmore and Edradour. neat mostly ice in a hot country is nice too
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    France

Bageuttes: Cheap and some of the best bread in the world,youll often see people walking around with them as snacks

Yeah that's commonly called a sandwich :)
    Wine: Red,white or Rose

Yeah better appreciated with a good meal or directly at the producer, don't buy shit from a supermarket, or it'll be the same kind you get in canada.
    Pastries: gained a good bit of weight during my trip to Paris,tried so many pastries. Best is one called a religous!!

A Religieuse actually :) there are so many awesome ones :) but you can get a lot of them in KANEDA
    Brie: goes well with bread and crackers!

Brie with salad and a balsamic vinegar based vinaigrette, please, no crackers. bread will make you fat. We have a great deal of cheese, far better than brie.