Home Technical Talk

Procedural Destruction?

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtM3PGyiQUc[/ame]

Starts at around 1.40 in the above video.

I know Crysis did this with the trees, but this takes it to a different level.
Anyone know how they accomplish this and deal with stuff like texturing the gibs at the cut lines and how the particle effects are implemented?

Replies

• commander_keen
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Math and physics :P?
  • larolaro
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    This is something that intrigues me too, This isnt ordinary procedural cutting because the whole internal shapes on the inside are accurate and in 3d. For example the arm in the first sequence , its not just cut with a texture slapped on the inside faces it actually has the internal gizmos inside as well as each component cut and accurate.

This is new ground for this kind of stuff, they've brought it to a higher level. :D
  • Visceral
    Wow, this would be REALLY cool with Playstation Moove.
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    It's called realtime CSG.
    All the cuts are planar so it is pretty easy. What has me interested is how it makes up for the geometry of the "mass" of the objects.
  • Moosey_G
    Maybe all those sadists will stay at home now. The enemies don't even seem to attack you, your main objective is to mutilate people. I loved every second of it however, looks very cool.
  • commander_keen
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Where do you see any kind of smart texture generation on the slice areas? on the brick pillar its clearly a poorly scaled tiling texture, and from the little you can see of cutting humans it just looks red or black. Setting up a smarter system for this wouldnt be hard though, just assign a slice texture per bone. The watermelon is probably just a single texture projection on the surface as well.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    larolaro wrote: »
    This is something that intrigues me too, This isnt ordinary procedural cutting because the whole internal shapes on the inside are accurate and in 3d. For example the arm in the first sequence , its not just cut with a texture slapped on the inside faces it actually has the internal gizmos inside as well as each component cut and accurate.

This is new ground for this kind of stuff, they've brought it to a higher level. :D

Since it's a cutscene, it's a specialcase and they could make a proper realistic internal surface just for that scene when he cuts the arm.

For the rest its just tiling texture projected from an angle, since all cuts are completely straight it should be extremely simple, there's some math behind the cutting though, but that's also old tech :)
  • Surfa
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    It looks like they should read the paper valve published on their l4d2 wounds.
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/gdc2010_vlachos_l4d2wounds.pdf

Interesting read for thoose interested.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for posting that Surfa. It was a very interesting read.

So they basically cull out an area on the model then replace the culled area with a damage model and use decals to cover the seems?
  • spetch
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, thanks for posting that doc it was very insightful.

I'm sure Rising is using some custom model caps but it looks more simplistic than what valve has done with their gore. When he cuts the torso off- the capped geo is red like commander_keen said, and they just cover it with a particle effect. I'm very interested to see more. Either way, I'm going to be cutting everything when it comes out.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Just want you guys know that i tried to collect any information i could in my new Metal Gear Rising Article.