Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

LPC vol2 #3 - Time Machine!

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
back-to-the-future.jpg

Create a time traveller and a time machine!

You have 2000 triangles and a 512 x 512 colour / spec / alpha maps, in total.

rules:

1. NO NORMAL MAPS!
2. entire texture area is 512 x 512 pixels. Break this up however you wish.
3. 2000 triangles are for the machine & the traveller, break this up however you wish.
4. Feel free to enter in this thread, or make your own thread. We will have a final thread for submissions.
5. For presentation please check the LPC style guide:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51622
6. making existing movie titles is fine, but not required.

END DATE: AUG 1st (if you miss this date feel free to build a real time machine and come back)

Great Scott!

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    i FUCKING love you hawken......much appreciated
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hawken.. ;)
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One question.... Do we base the time traveller and time machine from a movie or do we create our own character/machine ? Thank-you!
  • n33kos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonderful!

Ive never had the opportunity to work with such a low poly count, the lowest I have gone is 4000!

time to get sketching!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Fun! I'll join as soon as I finish up the Polypack.

Be sure to get this onto the front page too, that's what it's for.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    wowza, i didn't expect to see this until after the tf2 polypack. time to get sketching :poly142:
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm making a baroque portal to serve as a gate to other times. I hope it's okay, even though it's not technically a machine?

Also, since it's supposed to be attached to a wall, is it okay if I delete the back faces?

TM1.jpg
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool!! can i makes a delorean???
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Introducing our courageous time traveler, Dr. Fentonworth and his trusty companion Gladstone!
    mAdje.jpg

Behold! Dr. Fentonworth's time machine! (Complete with Gladstone-friendly mini-machine!)
    1cDyl.jpg

I'm at 1908 triangles altogether, so I still have a bit of wiggle room. Not sure if I'm going to do anything with the extra tris, but you never know.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMGZ SO COOL! woooo! gonna get started asap! THANKS ALL! and thanks HAWKEN
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool idea zwebbie..
    holy crap that was fast swizzle lol
    looks great!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »

I'm at 1908 triangles altogether, so I still have a bit of wiggle room. Not sure if I'm going to do anything with the extra tris, but you never know.

dog back-pack
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    dog back-pack

dog top hat!
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    First time I participate in a art challenge :D
    LPCPreview1.jpg
    Hope I find the time to finish this.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Going to try for this one. Here is my WIP:
    Traveler.jpg
  • Dracowyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dracowyr polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work so far! I can't wait to see what else is coming!

Of course, I couldn't resist a DeLorean...WIP

Marty is going to be tough! I'd like to try to recreate the movie poster.

back-to-the-future.jpg

Screen-shot-2010-06-25-at-7.46.36-PM.png
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice Delorean! I need to start on my time machine part soon-- maybe something like a ghetto blaster. Here is my WIP update:

Traveler2.jpg
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    so totally entering...
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey swizzle, how about a monocle and cigar for the little pooch...
    To all the other polycountians, the entries are coming along nicely!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas: I think the arms look a bit wonky. A tad short, and I'd expect them to be broader at the elbows, rather than just tapering all the way.

---

Update on my part. I made a simple time traveler and one of four allegories of the ages, the Age of Bronze. Currently, the structure has 258 triangles, Time has 208, the Age of Bronze has 213 and the time traveler 376, for a total of 1055. So with another three ages, I don't think I'll be able to fulfill the original plan of also having the three stages of life personified.

TM2.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is still super WIP.

QPiz8.jpg
  • dregoloth
  • coop510
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    swizzle - love the start on the character - especially the gradients in the color'd pants - why do you do that?

oh and for a 512x512 map - i think maybe you could allocate more texture space for the face maybe? - I can see from the form of machine that you could re-use/instance a lot of the texture space

good start.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you can get bill AND ted in 2000 tris, there should be some kind of reward waiting for you in low-poly heaven.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent start swizzle :) quite similar to what i had planned, but better :P
  • JimJupiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimJupiter polycounter lvl 9
    This is my first contest! I will model the time machine of Bernhard in Day of the Tentacle!

3372113874_9a67f29763.jpg

first WIP's shots will follow
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swizzle - love the start on the character - especially the gradients in the color'd pants - why do you do that?

oh and for a 512x512 map - i think maybe you could allocate more texture space for the face maybe? - I can see from the form of machine that you could re-use/instance a lot of the texture space

good start.

I'm trying to think of a non-bullshit answer for why I put gradients on the pants. Honestly, I can't think of one that's satisfactory other than "it looks good."

I'm still trying to figure out how to best go about allocating all the space on the UVs. I've never done environment art before, so I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to lay things out. The character is already taking up a 256 sheet and I'm probably going to use a 128x256 for the dog, but everything else consists of things I haven't figured out yet. I'm definitely thinking of redoing the UVs for the head so it has more texture resolution, though.
  • JimJupiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great idea for my first participation. I'll try to model the time machine of one of my all time favourite games, Day of the Tentacle. Hope you like my first steps.

test2af.jpg
  • Youngblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, I might have to come out of my lurking slumber to get involved in this. Someone ought to do something like Donnie Darko, maybe I will...

Or perhaps Hiro from Heroes.

But I'm going to think of something original before I automagically default to currently established IP. Besides, I'm not sure how much any of that is really based on what is actually theoretically possible with time travel...that is only moving forward. I'm not saying it's bad to see that stuff, I love Marty McFly as much as the next guy, but I'm saying it's also cool to see Sci-Fi motifs based in reality.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngblood wrote: »
    Hmmm, I might have to come out of my lurking slumber to get involved in this. Someone ought to do something like Donnie Darko, maybe I will...

Or perhaps Hiro from Heroes.

But I'm going to think of something original before I automagically default to currently established IP. Besides, I'm not sure how much any of that is really based on what is actually theoretically possible with time travel...that is only moving forward. I'm not saying it's bad to see that stuff, I love Marty McFly as much as the next guy, but I'm saying it's also cool to see Sci-Fi motifs based in reality.

If it's realism you're going for, why not try John Titor :poly121:
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    I've been wanting to make a really really low res scene lately, so this is a good excuse. I'm gonna do Hot Tub Time Machine, Chibi-style.
    TestRender001.png
    Basing the characters off the DVD cover, but I'll probably go off model a bit. I'd post the cover, but I can't find an image. IMDB has it, but i can't DL it, so here it is on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2236058880/tt1231587

I estimated about 500 for the scenery / Hot Tub, so I still have some freedom to detail them a little and make them a bit more unique. Right now their just variations of one mesh. I wanna get the hot tub scene built before I add much more to them so I know how much detail I can afford.
  • mradamw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all - I'm new to these forums (been with Gam...er...another forum for a while) but always drop past here to see whats potting. Saw this LPC and decided to throw my hat into the ring (never tried something this low before so should be fun :)

Here is my guy - he traverses time in a ball. Yes - a Vorpal Ball generated from the Vorpal Generators on each of his hips. The backpack is the main generator - the power source is Vorpgas storied in the canister attached to his pack.

Managed to hit 2k on the head (strangely chuffed with that!)

lpc_timemachine_wire_1.jpg

Swizzle - looking awesome man, best of luck getting that machine onto the remaining texture space. The dog is freaking awesome

THE 5 - good luck bro - off to a good start there :) Perhaps widen the glasses a little?

Zwebbie - woah man thats quite a challenge you have set yourself - good luck

dregoloth - nice one man, good ol telephone box time machines :) can't go wrong there

JimJupiter - looking ace man. are you just gonna do the time machine or are you gonna try squeeze in a traveller too?

Squiggly_P - YES! cant wait to see how this one goes

Cheers guys
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Hi all !
    Interesting challenge :)

Excelent start Swizzel

Hop I try to make something :D

Concept

Concept_Machine.jpg

the machine model

704 Triangles

Wip_ModMachine.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hawken wrote: »
    If it's realism you're going for, why not try John Titor :poly121:

ive been stuck reading this site for the past 30 minutes! lol damn youuuuu!! ahahah. This sounds like a fun mini comp, time to dust off the ole modellin hands!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet idea....I'm going to get in on this..

First thing that popped in my head when I thought about time machine:

napoleon-dynamite-time-machine.png

Here is a quick start on the machine itself...definitely have a long way to go, but its a start:

WIP_1.jpg
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in.

timetraveler_wip01.jpg

Zwebbie - Ambitious! Really hope you can pull it off.

Swizzle - Bam, right out of the starting gate. Love the doggy sidekick. I was thinking of making a kitty for my traveler named Bartholomeow.

Ninjas - I agree with Zwebbie. The arms look like they were pulled straight out from putty. It's missing that form on top created by the supinator longus muscle (and others). Already have a nice start on the texture, though.

mradamw - Great start; lots of character already. Now lets see what you can do with the texture!
  • mradamw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian - really cool idea there man, i love the clock vibe. what about putting some kind of face under the clock hands? Just a big 1 plane cylinder or something? Or maybe have that like above the hands and below the cockpit so the spinning clock hands don't turn his machine into time machine death harvester...?

gsokol - haha rad

Spacey - woah nice start man, really diggin it. thanks for the kind words hope i don't let you down!
  • amsmntparks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amsmntparks polycounter lvl 18
    Dibs on Dr. Dinosaur!
    090428.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Crappy concept for now;
    Concept_1.jpg
    Was thinking of a guy who finds an item that will activate these portals, which are in fact time machines. like stargate :P
  • JimJupiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, Napoleon Dynamite, I love the idea!
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wanted you people to check my proportions before I actually modelled the head and the feet.
    person.png
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    So we can do anything we want, as long as we have a time traveler and a time machine? but no highpoly baking? Even for the ao?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @raul - nowhere does it say you can't do baking, it just says no normal maps. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like doing it for AO is probably fine, since your end result would still fit the guidelines.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he looks seriously messed up with smoothing so here's my blocky time traveler in a suit
    currently at 667 polys in all so I may go for a bit more detail as the mouth is currenly just drawn on.
    I'm thinking of giving him an umbrella.(naturally made to look like it is an integral part of the machine)
    Oh and of course he is rigged(yes I know the basics of that. it's just a few dumbly placed armatures that by he miracle of god happen to work) though he is rigged badly I can still move him into different poses(went for the arms outstretched position first then worked my way up to here)

right now he just looks like he wants to greet you(and hand you a lawsuit) so I'll work on the suitcase time travel machine to make it stick out more
    maninsuittimetravel.jpg
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update again
    maninsuitupdate01.jpg
    I started 1 or 2 hours ago I'm just really really bored and have some ime on my hands
  • JimJupiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to kill some polygons ;)

test7f.jpg
  • Flow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Its the first time I'm participate a Polycount Competition an time machine is a very Interesting challenge !!!. I apologise for my bad english, I'm french and I don't speak english very wel l :(.

This the model of my "Toilet"machine time and the concept.

tmwip.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Dibs on Dr. Dinosaur!

nooooooooo!!! My fantastic idea already dibbed D:

Damn and blast. Now I will have to wish you luck and think up an even more fiendish idea.

EDIT: I appear to have inadvertently become a timetraveler myself. :poly122:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2126504/tachyon/Wibbely-wobbely-timey-wimey.PNG

I have no idea how the heck this happened, what's weirder is I'm making props for a timetravel themed tf2map called tachyon.