Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

LPC vol2 #3 - Time Machine!

Replies

• drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
    @ocarian: i think you should do a little more color variation on your machine.. at the moment it looks too monochrome. i imagined a more steely version.. but thats just my taste. i love your prof!
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Improved?
    2hzjwua.png
    (I lied about being finished with the traveler's texture)
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Hay guys and girls, I have been watching the fun for long enough, time to get involved.

@BetelGeist: I am a huge fan of your style. I am super keen to see how your guy panns out.

@dirigible: I love your little guy. I agree with Zwebbie more lively skin tone would help a lot and also give him a really nice cartoony feel.

@BadGeometry: I think your guy is my fav so far. The face is fantastic.

Here is my contribution. Terry the time traveling space worm. I am sitting on about 1322 tris at the moment so I have some space to move. He is still very wipy but I hope to have him up to scratch soon.

48600806.jpg

Great work so far everyone I am keen to see some more progress from all.
  • mradamw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan thats brilliant as always! love his little expression there :) what about having terry's tail like pushing a button or something (have a little control panel infront of him and have his tail pressing a big red "BRRZZARP" button?
  • GreasyMnky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update on the textures
    blocking colors and testing some patterns, I still need to do some more work on the legs and on the back of the character

lpc_wip_textures01.jpg
    lpc_wip_textures02.jpg

@duncan nice character, I like his big facial expression

@dirigible definitely improved, he looks more healthy

@ocarian nice machine, I like it

@BetelGeist I really like your design

EDIT:

added contrast and changed the "scaly" pattern for a woolen texture, feels more warm.

lpc_wip_textures03.jpg

I might add some leather patches and brass buttons next to complete the look.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Update.

@mradamw: Thanks man. I did not think of that one (bugger). Unfortunately it is a little too squishy in there for me to add one now :(. I did decide to add a toy key though.

@GreasyMnky: Thanks for the kind words :). You have an interesting character there, reminds me of something out of Brazil or something (which is a good thing). My only crit at this stage would be that everything looks like it is made of wool. I am not sure if that is what you wanted but it makes her look a little like a Sackboy from Little Big Planet. I am interested to see where you go with it. Keep up the good work.

Added some steam and a toy key. Still have some tris to go but I am going to concentrate on the texture first and add extra stuff as I go.

65593249.jpg

See you soon.
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TimeTraveller_concept_by_Sakichii.png

Time_Traveller_by_Sakichii.png
    Approximately 3 days work, from design to textured and rigged model, ^_^' with a total of 1979 triangles.
    Not satisfied with the texture yet but it's getting there.
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    timevendor5.jpg

Update.
    - Re-did the face by painting a face first and then warping uv's to the face and finally rendering the results to a new set of uvs.
    - Skin needs a lot of work, in general any area that has skin needs love.
    - Added suspenders and changed the guys fat forms to be a little more realistic.

I've been playing a bunch with render to texture on this project and it's been pretty fun. Still have a ways to go, everything you see here is probably more grainy than it will be in the final because this is 2 256x256 maps and I've been working at higher rez as an experiment for fun on this one.

@Duncan: Cool concept. I like the hud!
    @Derigible: Nice progress! The thing that sticks out to me about your guy is that he's got no eyelids. Even pixar eyes have eyelids. It might just be the style you're going for though. I like your dudes vest.
    @BadGeometry: That scooter turned out great!

@everyone else: keep it up! It's pretty inspiring checking out this thread. Times running out... or is it?!?! :)
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Hi

Excelent concept duncan , I really like the texture Work :)

Little Up

I made some retake (Thanks for advice drelectro :D

timemachine01.jpg

voil
  • Ani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani
    Ok, I'm in! First up are some quick concepts for my ideas.

Spacey - no teasing you this time ;)

4813165747_c8ed811c4e_o.png
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello.

@Millah: Thanks. I like the concept behind your guy. I almost went down a similar path.

@ocarian: Thank you :). I am really digging your time machine. Really nice clean textures.

@Ani: Love the concept, I am super keen to see how it translates to 3D.

A little more.

28532138.jpg
  • Mosbey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going with the bottom right version as a childs time machine, child concept in the works, will post more soon.

toyboxconcept.jpg
  • _CAD_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some awesome entries so far. heres mine im overshooting the poly budget at the moment but ill bring her down once im happy with everything, oh and she will have a time travelling hula-hoop.

Alex_Progress01.jpg
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ani thats some great concept work... but i really think the machine is too similar to duncans. =/
  • BlazeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlazeF triangle
    @Ani & Betel: I don't! Make it clean and it will certainly be different enough :) It's like dexter's lab! W00t
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work everyone. I love that concept, Ani. That'll look awesome in 3D
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @blaze- sure. because making it clean completely changes the fact that its basically the exact same design, but with four curved rectangles at the bottom.....
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Ani: Bwahaha, simple and wonderful. You never fail to deliver the goods.

Slooooow going, but managed some texture on the machine.
    timetraveler_wip04.jpg
  • Ani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani
    Thanks for the comments! I'm getting started on the girl right now :)

Betel - I don't think that the design is too similar at all. Okay, so it has a glass top and it's round but there are more elements that make it different than the same. I'm still gonna go with it though cause I know it's not going to turn out to look anything like duncan's.

Also got a question about the texture(s) though - we're meant to have both the machine and traveller in a single 512 diffuse, right? Cause there's a few who are doing 256 ones and I'm just a little confused?
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    You just need to not exceed 512x512 pixels in total, as far as I'm aware. So you could have:

1 x (512x512) or
    4 x (256x256) or
    2 x (512x256)
    etc.

So if youve got any tiled bits, seperate them ( but i doubt you will by the looks of it). Awesome concept btw, as been said before, will look smexy as hell in 3d.
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    Oh yeah, and here's where I'm up to atm.
    Not sure if i wanna use spec maps because I've textured so many light bias highlights. Still need to finish up the skin, and tidy up some bits of texture here and there.

time_machine_1.jpg
    time_machine_2.jpg
    time_machine_tex.jpg

And are we allowed to vertex light for final renders? If not I'll have to sort out baking the paint as best as possible, but have a feeling it'l get fudged as hell.
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timevendor6.jpg

Still toiling away.... Must.. finish.. before Starcraft 2!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work everyone.

@glenatron: Awesome!

Little update from me.

62213509.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    vertex shading is fine.
  • mradamw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @duncan - dude to be 100% honest i preferred the glass when it was a bit cleaner - it feels almost too grubby for me now. HOWEVER if you want some grubby glass what about adding a small windscreen wiper infront of him so his view is always clear? may make a cool litle divide between super dirty glass and clean glass plausible?? just a suggestion :) again one of my favourites (damn you sir)
  • statichavoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm new to the forums (found this via poopinmymouth.com (great artist!) and I've never really tried one of these low poly challenges. Great entries so far and I hope I can contribute :)
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, really nice seeing the progress on all these entries!

5ouv06.jpg

After many arguments with Maya, I finally got him posed. It's say he's almost 95% complete. Just gotta do a bit of seem fixin' and he'll be golden.

Duncan
    Thanks! I'm glad you like the face. I had a lot of fun working on it.
    I really like your guy a lot too. He's got some really nice shapes going for him and I love the whimsical look he has. I agree with mradamw about the glass though. Maybe even instead of some wipes you could have some crude, wipe marks on the front, as if he tried taking a wash cloth to it.

dirigible
    The added warmth on his skin really brings him out. Nice job!

GreasyMnky
    Nice progress. You really made some good use of that UV layout. Your textures look really sharp and crisp. I'm a little curious as to what kind of look you're going for. I'll be honest, the head is a bit creepy looking.

Millah
    Thanks!
    I love how your model is coming out. I really like the work you did on his face, and your time machine looks really nice and high tech. I think the only minor crit is that I'd make his body hair a little more curly and scraggly. Otherwise, it's looking great.

Ocarian
    Nice work. The light oxidation on the metal there. I like how sharp the textures came out too.

Ani
    Your concept is adorable!

Spacey
    That's some sweet texture work there so far, man. Can't wait to see the rest!

glenatron
    The time machine looks great! I really your treatment of the wood texture.

This is probably gonna be my last update till next week. I'll be off at Siggraph till the 30th. I look forward to seeing the finished pieces!
  • _CAD_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres where im at just got a little bit of tweaks here and there and hopefully i can call her done.

Alex_Progress02.jpg
    Alex_Progress03.jpg

BadGeometry : Thats awesome, the textures are really well done

Duncan: this has to be my favourite hes got so much character :)
  • statichavoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle can we see your UV maps? I'm having issues and I feel yours might help me out!
  • Ithoual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, verry nice stuff here, it's very interesting to see how diferents are the entrys :)

I little wip from me.
  • BlazeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlazeF triangle
    @CAD: Heya! It's looking really good :) Only point I'd really point out is that the face texture is a little off on the cheeks. I think it's just a tad too much white there. Aside from that, pretty solid :)

@Ithoual: Wow... Super impressed with your concept and original character design. haha man now I feel like SUCH a cheat for picking my character. Some really top notch stuff, I can't wait for the final model.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay people

@mradamw: hahaha thanks man :). It was a cool idea adding the windshield wiper. I alwayse intend to add some smudge marks where he tried to clean the glass but it turns out I don't have enough rez :(. However I do like the wipers.

@BadGeometry: :):):). I dig your pose. The whole thing turned out awesome. Now it is time for you to add some ace backdrop and your done. Great work.

@_CAD_: Thanks. I am not sure if you intended to have that dark halo around your Time window FX but if it is not intended I would suggest getting rid of it. Other than that I think you have done a good job.

@Ithoual: AWESOME! I really dig your character. Really nice style and the chair time machine is freaking sweet too. I am keen to see where he ends up.

Well I started in one spot and ended up in another (not always a bad thing). The dome has undergone a major re work and I like it. I just need to texture the windshield wiper and Terry before I start on a background... I tend to go overboard with these things :(

53420647.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These entries are looking great!

We have about a week left (I'll leave the final entries thread open over the weekend).

We'll do iPhone size as usual - unless there's any objections.
  • SojaBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

I'm new to the polycount comunity but for what I see, things are amazing around here.
    So I stumbled upon this topic and found out these marvelouse creations!!

So I though I'd start off with some display of my own work.
    I did made some artwork for the challenge though I think I won't be able to 3D-lize this in this last week since I'm working on an other big project atm.

Anyway, I'd just show of my art for the challenge :)

Acid_Power___Time_Travel_by_SojaBird.jpg

Feedback pls :D
  • Ithoual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by Iphone size ? The capture must be released in 640 480 ?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For final shots we usually require: wires shot with counter, in-game, beauty shot.

in-game is the iphone size - 480 x 320 (or should that be 960x640 now?)
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I am just plain floored by how awesome the stuff you guys are creating is. I love it. Every design is cool, and great, in its own way and I am happy that I do not have to judge this competition. Anyway, I am new here and I was looking around, and I saw this competition and knew I had to enter. I love time travel fiction, and I love 3d modeling, so it was perfect for me.

So I have been working on this the past couple days and have gone through more iterations than you can shake a stick at but finally, I have this one. I think it's turning out pretty well so far. The time machine is the gate like object, and the traveler manipulates it with a wireless keypad that I have not made yet. The traveler is going to eventually have a brain floating around in his big noggin but I have not made that yet either. Right now my whole scene is at about 1986 tris but I have a few things I am going to remodel to save myself some tris and I should be fine in the end.

Anyway I love all the work you guys are doing so keep it up. Also don't think that since I haven't started my texture yet I won't be done on time because believe me, I will.
    WIP_Time_Machine_by_chouji2.jpg
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Update. Got sabotaged by school and work. Hope I finish in time <8(
    21ct5jo.jpg

Can I get some clarification on the final image rules? How is the in-game shot different from the beauty shot? Does it all have to be in one image, or in 3 separate images? Is there already a thread covering these questions?
  • DMRadford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMRadford polycounter lvl 9
    First post, woot! Ok, now that that's out of the way: my time machine! I can't take credit for the design by John Hackman. Anyway, here it is so far. There's going to be a guinea pig in the glass area as my time traveler (the inventor is too cautious to send himself first).
    timemachine_v001_01.jpg
    timemachine_v001_02.jpg
    -David
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay people :)

@dirigible: Really nice but I think the helmet obscures his face a bit too much. I mean I really dig it but his face is were all the character is and it is a shame to loose that. It just feels a bit stuck on at the moment. With all that said he is still one of my favorite characters. Good job :)

Well I got a bit sick of Terry and decided to work on the background for a while. I still need to come back and finish his texture but I was glad for the little break.

53104240.jpg

Close to the end now I am really keen to see how some of these cool entries polish up.
  • amsmntparks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amsmntparks polycounter lvl 18
    drdtextured2.png

I had a hard time matching the texture on this to comic coloring style. I went for a cell shaded look on the character, but used gradients on the time machine.
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timevendor_final1.jpg
    timevendor_final2.jpg

Final stretch dudes! Keep on cranking! :)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final submission thread is up! Good luck to everyone
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow super good stuff in this thread. I wish I could jump into this.
  • Av7xrocker97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I wish I was good with low-poly and texturing. If I could, I was thinking of making Ash from Evil Dead, holding the necronomicon and standing in front of the blue-ish vortex. I thinks that would've been so cool.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vote is now up http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75580

Well done to those who made it in, commiserations to those who missed the deadline - there were some great entries all around! Happy voting.
  • DMRadford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMRadford polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, so I got so rushed when I was posting my final entry that I forgot to give credit to the concept artist: John Hackman | www.doodlingbanjos.com

-David
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This look like it was a ton of fun. May have to join in the next. Haven't worked that low of tris before.